View RSS Feed

DirtySteal

The S.E.S: What could have been…

Rate this Entry
Raise your left hand and place the other on your heart and pledge allegiance to the Straight Edge Saviour, feel the warmth of purity flow through your veins as the S.E.S lifts you up to a higher place of peace and prosperity. Feel the blade against your hair line, with each stroke of the razor you feel purer, you feel whole again…for you have just joined one of the most disappointing, under-achieving lacklustre stables of the WWE.

CM Punk, the self-proclaimed Straight Edge Saviour, a top notch athlete, a brilliant character with some incredible mic skills. He could be seen as the best heel WWE has at the moment, he certainly was when he turned against Jeff Hardy at Extreme Rules, what a glorious moment for the WWE universe. He was the top draw on Smackdown! And held some great rivalries with Hardy, Undertaker and Rey Mysterio, held the World Heavyweight Championship for a respectable time and seemed to be doing everything right but suddenly we see him slip down to mid card, merely cutting promos for what seemed like weeks and weeks on end standing next to a corn fed colossus (whom now has now found the ability to keep his drool from running onto his chest) preaching to us about the ways of the Straight Edge.
Now on paper the idea of the SES was a good one. CM Punk to lead a group around Smackdown! Preaching to the fans, mocking how they live, attacking superstars because they are not pure like he is, trying to recruit sinners and basically bringing us this never seen before angle on Smackdown! Creating good and compelling TV and storylines, Whats not to like?

But of course, like usual, WWE dropped the ball on this one much like many other fueds, angles and teams they had in the past. We saw CM Punk engage pointless rivalries, hold stupid seminars between him and his team mates, watch Luke Gallows get slapped in the chest more times than I care to remember, have members of the team get released due to petty reasons, see his team get squashed and have all their credibility drained from them week by boring week. Now it amazes me how WWE managed to screw this one up as bad as they did when they had someone like CM Punk guiding the group.

So what went wrong?

First of all, the only good thing that the SES did was fued with Rey Mysterio (although it did go for quite a while) this was a perfect turning point to mix it up a little, get Rey to join the group and slowly turn him heel as he’s forced to live the Straight Edge way, but no. WWE saw it right that Rey had the last laugh, ultimately getting the best of a three man team and shaving Punk in front of a crowd of screaming kids. That was a perfect opportunity to add to the group and build up an even better stable that would be a main attraction that only Smackdown! Would have. Course, they booked the light heavyweight to foil the team and basically make them look like a useless bunch of metal heads.

No, it’s okay, the SES can recover from this, they need to go into a big rivalry with a top dog, let’s see Punk back in the WHC picture. Again, we get disappointed and see him feud with Big Show for a while, basically the only reason I could see a point of this feud is to fill time up on Smackdown! We watch on as a three man team with a manager gets pulled apart by the 7 foot, light hearted giant. More Straight Edge credibility down the drain. Joy.
Now’a days it looks like the Society is falling apart, with Serena out of the picture along with Mercury due to injury, we’re back to the first two, both looking weaker than when the SES was first formed. Gallows has lost so many times he has no credibility left and Punk now just looks like an angry gorilla screaming and shouting at his disobedient children. This group had so much potential, the whole idea of it seemed like a brilliant way to draw heat from the crowd and push Gallows, Mercury and Serena.

What should have happened? (IMO)

- CM Punk remain in the upper card area, feuding for the WHC or at least No.1 Contender
- Rey Reluctantly join the SES, this would have opened for a much more compelling story.
- Let the team beat people like Big Show in 3 on 1 handicap matches.
- Let Gallows and Mercury look good, not like planes flying around only to get swatted by Big Show
- After a while, give Punk the title. Let him run with it and re-create a good storyline similar to JBL and his cabinet Vs Taker.

The SES is not officially over, but it really reminds me of a dying dog and it’s such a shame. I hope Punk moves on and reclaims his main event status, cause we all know he belongs there and he’s wasted talent fighting the Big Show and God knows who he’s going to fight next.
Punk has the talent to get his wounded credibility back, the others…not so much. I love CM Punk, his character is great, attitude is there, wit is there, ability is defiantly there too. He has a great connection with the WWE Universe and it’s such a let-down to see him go nowhere with his group of hard to watch lackeys.
So raise your left hand and place the other on your heart and pray that WWE pick up the pieces and learn from these mistakes, haha…like that’s going to happen.
Dirty Steal.

These were some of my opinions on the SES, comment back with what you think? Do you agree or disagree? What would you have them do now?

Submit "The S.E.S: What could have been…" to Digg Submit "The S.E.S: What could have been…" to del.icio.us Submit "The S.E.S: What could have been…" to StumbleUpon Submit "The S.E.S: What could have been…" to Google

Tags: cm punk, ses
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Thought of it the same way. Damn, was I disappointed when thing started to get messed up in the SES and they started a feud with the Big Show. I think it is totally stupid, I repeat, totally stupid to have SES feud with Big Show, while people like Christian are just sitting in the back without any storyline whatsoever. And also to have Big Show completely destroy SES! He took off 2 masks in no-time! I think CM Punk and Christian could have some awesome matches and a great storyline, so I hope WWE will eventually do this in the future. What bothered me as well, was the fact that they held zero titles! Why not have CM Punk and Luke Gallows win the Tag Titles instead of Shomiz? That could add some credibility, and also have a feud with Hart Dynasty sounds attractive to me.
    So basically IMO what went wrong:
    - no titles
    - feud with big show

however, I completely agree with you on CM Punk. He is my top-favourite Superstar on SD!
    Spot on my friend. I think what happend here was that they never saw Gallows, Joseph, or Serena as future "Main Players" in the company. So therefore, they never even attempted to make them look like anything more then weak lackies. And by doing so, it made the group look weak as a whole. WWE is all about looking for the next big individual player. Thats it. Thats there only goal. They give someone a look, determine wether or not they got main event potential, and then your typecast from that point on as either a future main eventer or a nobody. Which is why tag teams are, more or less, non-existent and the few tag teams that do exist dont get any recognition. Also, as Im sure you've noticed, if there ever is a successful tag team that comes along and gets over with the crowd, it only becomes a matter of time before they get seperated so they can try and ride that wave as individuals.

Anyway, back to the SES. As I was saying, they never saw the other members as future main players. So they never booked them strong. Instead of looking at the group as a whole and realizing the potential they had as a group, they looked at them each individualy, realized they didn't have what it takes to make it as main event players on their own, and buried them.

Its pretty plain and simple if you think about. Put this stable into any other company out there that has diversity and creativity in its booking and this group gets over big time. Put this stable into a company that only cares about creating future world champions and this stable fails.
    Such a waste of Joey Mercury's awesome hair. For god's sake the could have put M&M back together, but no we have to see morrison and R-GOOF,

The only I miss is serena, i want to fuck her and rub her bald head at the same time....she probably got fired because she didn't shave everything

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.