View RSS Feed

dub

What makes a "Great" World Champion?

Rate this Entry
What's goin on EWN nation. I'm back once again with my second blog & I gotta say I got some really great responses on the previous one sooooo I thought I'd give it another shot. Please feel free to leave opinions, comments, & thoughts afterwards, they all are greatly appreciated. With that being said... I just wanted to talk a little bit about "great" world champions. What makes a great world champ in your eyes? Me personally when I look at someone like a John Cena... I can't truely say that he fits the mold of a "GREAT" champion? (just my opinion) BUT he will in fact go down in history as one of the greatest champs that ever held the title. Why is that? I guess you can say he's great in the sense that he gets one of the biggest pops from the Fans (boos and cheers all in the same match) or if your talking about selling the most merch, or if you consider the amount of titles he won (if he keeps this pace he's going to surpass Ric Flair...HUH?!?!?) But does it even matter how many title reigns you have? I mean HBK is one of the most unique polorizing guys that the business has ever seen and he has 4 title reigns under his belt??? WHA?!?!?!? Same goes with Eddie G (1 time) Kane (2 time) Y2J (4 time). These are guys who I would consider to be "great" World Champs BUT Cena has the same amount of title reigns than these 4 guys combined. So, It just makes me wanna ask the question to the EWN nation. What is it that makes a great world champ?!?!? Is it the look? Is it the skill in the ring? Is it the mic skills? Charisma? or a little bit of everything. A lot of fans don't even think Del-Rio is world championship materiel yet but, why is that? He's gotta be better than Cena, right? My ideal champ would be someone that's labled a "fighting champ" Someone like a Chris Benoit (uh oh can I say his name on EWN lol) or an AJ Styles, or Davey Richards, but even these guys mic skills weren't/aren't up to par. But anyways dats enough rambling cause I can go on and on and on about this subject but I wanted to hear what u guys have to say about it. Thanks for reading!!!

Submit "What makes a "Great" World Champion?" to Digg Submit "What makes a "Great" World Champion?" to del.icio.us Submit "What makes a "Great" World Champion?" to StumbleUpon Submit "What makes a "Great" World Champion?" to Google

Updated 09-01-2011 at 05:16 PM by dub

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Naturally it takes talent, in ring ability, and mic skills all combined. However I think the one thing that makes or breaks a world champ is how much the fans want to see him. Meaning how good is he at drawing fans to live events, and how much impact does he have on PPV buyrates. A world champ should be someone who, regardless of whether he is heel or babyface, you simply cannot take your eyes off of. He should be the one guy that you think: "Damn, I must see this guy's next match." An example would obviously be The Rock or Austin. As soon as you saw their name on the card you just knew you had to watch the show, or buy the PPV. Same with guys like Triple H or Shawn Michaels. Even when they were heels they drew people to the shows, because people wanted to see them lose.
    Updated 09-01-2011 at 06:47 PM by Slickman69
    I feel ppl like BretHart / chris Benoit (Highly technical wrestlers who can make some awesome matches); HBK / Sting (Highly technical and also great on mic); Triple H / The Rock / Stonecold (who r gud technical wrestlers but known for their mic skills)..

But, like slickman69 said the fan's reaction is imp..n my all time fav champs r Brethart, Stonecold, HBK, HHH and JBL; Yes..I rate JBL in the league of Stonecold, BretHart and HBK because...I always wanted to see JBL's matches only to see him in the losing end...I badly wanted JBL to lose and I always wanted HHH/Bret/HBK to win the matches irrespective of their Face/Heel status..n I always wanted Stonecold to verbally whip all his opponents..n pour Beer on them...

Thatz why I rate them as my all time fav World Champs...

WWE should take JBL back into WWE n make him the Manager of ADR or Manager of DBryan and thus, changing DBryan's gimmick as well...

If not, make him the color commentator..I luv him with Mic...
    I feel ppl like BretHart / chris Benoit (Highly technical wrestlers who can make some awesome matches); HBK / Sting (Highly technical and also great on mic); Triple H / The Rock / Stonecold (who r gud technical wrestlers but known for their mic skills)..

But, like slickman69 said the fan's reaction is imp..n my all time fav champs r Brethart, Stonecold, HBK, HHH and JBL; Yes..I rate JBL in the league of Stonecold, BretHart and HBK because...I always wanted to see JBL's matches only to see him in the losing end...I badly wanted JBL to lose and I always wanted HHH/Bret/HBK to win the matches irrespective of their Face/Heel status..n I always wanted Stonecold to verbally whip all his opponents..n pour Beer on them...

Thatz why I rate them as my all time fav World Champs...

WWE should take JBL back into WWE n make him the Manager of ADR or Manager of DBryan and thus, changing DBryan's gimmick as well...

If not, make him the color commentator..I luv him with Mic...
    Vince McMahons blessing.
    Honestly all you need is to be able to draw money. What makes you able to draw money is market appeal. Hogan was able to draw the market because we needed an American Hero...and he was it. Cena is able to do the same because we needed a "good old boy" when the going got tough. Now we need an "in your face I don't give a crap" in CM Punk. It's all a reflection of what is going on in the real world.
    Honestly all you need is to be able to draw money. What makes you able to draw money is market appeal. Hogan was able to draw the market because we needed an American Hero...and he was it. Cena is able to do the same because we needed a "good old boy" when the going got tough. Now we need an "in your face I don't give a crap" in CM Punk. It's all a reflection of what is going on in the real world.
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Splash Wrestlecast
    Agreed. If you can draw money like Stone Cold, The Rock, Cena, and Hogan, then you are World Championship material.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.