View RSS Feed

Iscariot

WWEs booking of Cena makes perfect sense.

Rating: 3 votes, 4.00 average.
Now with Extreme Rules behind us, John Cena can once again use his catchphrase, «The Champ is Here» truthfully. The decision to put the WWE championship belt back on Cena has, expectedly, not been received with laud and applause by the «IWC». You should think that the same people that for months complained about The Miz being champ now would rejoice, but some people can never be pleased.

But I think WWEs booking is smart, predictable, but smart. I will try to explain why, and you, dear reader, can rip me a new one on why I'm mistaken in the comments, just read on.

Why take the belt of The Miz?

In my view the main reason to give him it in the first place was to elevate him to main event status, and cement him in the audience view as a legit threat. Mission accomplished. At least as much as possible in the current run. He kept the title for more than 5 months. Who would have expected that when he won it back in November with the help of the Money in the Bank suitcase? And his run has helped to get Alex Riley familiar with WWE as well. Whether he sinks or swims on his own is yet to be seen. But now, The Miz is better served being a contender to the championship, and winning it at a later date. He has gotten all the rub from going toe to toe with Cena that can be expected, and he has proved he can take the ball and run with it. Its not like he hasn't been booked strong either. Not many superstars gets to kick out from Cenas finishers on a regular basis. What Creative has in store for him is anybodies guess, but he is no longer an afterthough. They could let him continue to feud with Cena for the title, or give him a new feud.

Why give it to Cena?
As John Morrison is as popular as diarrhea backstage, he was no option, and they needed a face to carry the belt. Especially as RAW is profoundly heel-heavy after the draft. Another options would have been Rey Mysterio, but he's too new on the brand. Cena is the face of the company after all, you might not like it, but that's the fact of the matter. He's recognized, popular with the casual viewers and a company man with no skeletons in the closet. Which means that as long as his health is sound, he will obviously be in the championship-picture, either as champion or contender.
And the match on Extreme Rules and the rematch on RAW could mean an end to the ongoing feud between the two. Wrestling 101 means that the face has to pull through. There is extremely few long feuds between a heel and face where the heel wins in the end. And unless they decide to continue the feud with The Miz it opens for some other aspiring main-eventer cutting his teeth on Cena the Champ.

Why is Cena booked so two-dimentional?
Cena is not the best wrestler in the world. But he's not useless in the ring either. He's accused of never selling, but it is more a case of him being booked to recouperate fast. Beat him down to within an inch of unconciousness, and he will still pop back up if you don't hurry. Now, is this something particular to Cena? Not really. All wrestlers tend to get up after beating that would kill the average man. Some sell injuries for a time, others don't, it depends on how the storyline is meant to play out.

So much for phycical injury, Cena doesn't sell psychology either. He's nearly always smiling and happy. Well as he's booked as someone who loves his fans, WWE, performing in the ring, and finds his inspiration and support there, why shouldn't he be happy? As for not selling anger, grief and other emotions consistently, take a look at Kane. He was tricked into «killing» his own father, Paul Bearer, by Edge, and a few months later he's playing the air-trombone with Santino Marella... Consistancy in never an issue in wrestling, never has been, never will be.

Cena is derogatorily called Superman, and that moniker has a element of truth. And when was the last time you saw Superman mope at the end of a storyarc? If you keep in mind the part Cena is supposed to play in the pantheon of WWE, it makes no sense making him too emotional and despondent.

And in making Cena a benchmark young upstarts can measure up against, they also has to protect him. If he gets beaten clean on a regular basis by anyone except someone firmly in the main event picture in the forseeable future, his value as a benchmark is reduced. Maybe Creative is too protective? But they probably want to err on the side of caution.

Cena is supposed to be a throwback to the faces of old, a primary coloured hero to the kids, who cannot be kept down for an extended period of time. He's meant to be the top dog all the young heels would like to usurp. Complaining when he plays that role to perfection, is, quite frankly, unfair.

Submit "WWEs booking of Cena makes perfect sense." to Digg Submit "WWEs booking of Cena makes perfect sense." to del.icio.us Submit "WWEs booking of Cena makes perfect sense." to StumbleUpon Submit "WWEs booking of Cena makes perfect sense." to Google

Tags: cena, wwe
Categories
Thoughts and Opinions

Comments

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    [QUOTE=WWTNA Mark;bt4585]Name me one match where Cena has been carried in a match. I just wanna know because I have never watched a match where Cena got carried. Okay, he isn't technical or anything like that but he knows how to get the job done in matches and others within the WWE have stated that, even Angle said it.[/QUOTE]

Cena vs. Kurt Angle ... any matches they've had Angle definetly carried him.

Cena vs. Triple H (WM22).

Cena vs. Shawn Michaels (WM23).

The fact Cena is no technical wrestler nor does he have any wrestling knowledge or psychology to help him to help get thru/put on a good match shows how bad he really is as a wrestler. He is very limited.
    My theory is that they're giving Cena the title for a long, long time, because it would be his last reign. Either he will lose it at WM28, or, lost it somewhere along the road to WM28, turn heel, somehow win the WHC & lost it at WM28 in Loser Leaves WWE match.
    [QUOTE=WWTNA Mark;bt4585]Name me one match where Cena has been carried in a match. I just wanna know because I have never watched a match where Cena got carried. Okay, he isn't technical or anything like that but he knows how to get the job done in matches and others within the WWE have stated that, even Angle said it.[/QUOTE]

every match. Every match Cena is in, its so slow and nothing happens besides Cena getting beat the whole match, then he does the two shoulder blocks along with the grab the nuts slam, then the fake peoples elbow along with his death valley driver...
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayoholic
    Dude, you just typed my favorite blog post on this site. Loved it.
    bravo!! great post .im not a cena mark by any chance,but i do respect him and this gave him his credit due.the man can get the job done
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.