View RSS Feed

hollowsandman13

Wrestling Hot Topics Part Deux

Rate this Entry
Hello all! I'm back with another edition of Wrestling Hot Topics. I'd like to start by thanking everyone who read my first blog. It is greatly appreciated. Now onto some topics!

Topic 1: TNA

As promised I'm going to talk a little about TNA. There's no specific point or opinion I'm trying to make, rather just some general observations. I haven't been watching TNA all that long, maybe 2 years or so with a few sporadic instances further back, but I've always kept up on it online. I'm also trying to go back and watch a lot of the stuff I missed. I am a fan of TNA but I recognize it as a deeply flawed company not unlike WCW way back when, which seems to be a common observation here in the IWC. Now a lot of people would like to place the blame solely on Vince Russo, but that's not the case. It's more of a perfect storm of clusterfucks than one guy fucking it up for everyone. Vince Russo has done some good for wrestling back in his first run with WWE. Unfortunately at this point he's done more harm. I'd compare it to the Wildcat offense in the NFL. It worked for about 1 season, but it didn't take much to figure out how to beat. The difference? Coaches smartened up and stopped using the Wildcat offense. TNA has to smarten up and stop using the Russo "style" if you will. Now as I said it isn't all Russo's fault. Guys like Bischoff and Hogan certainly are doing more harm than good at this point as well. Think of all the talent we'd get to see if we didn't have 20-30 minutes of Hogan in the ring cutting the same promo every week. Everybody seems to pop when there's talk of Hogan wrestling another match, but honestly, do you really want to see 20 minutes of punching, body slams (maybe), Hulking up, and a leg drop? Or see some exciting wrestlers Austin Ares, Zema Ion, AJ Styles, Samoa Joe, etc. TNA went downhill IMO when they put the x-division on the back burner in favor of shoving Hogan and other veterans down our throats. I find it funny that a lot of people bash the x-division but will probably turn around and tell you they loved the cruiserweight division in WCW and such. Newsflash: It's the same damn thing. I personally love the x-division. it's the main reason I watch TNA. I love WWE, but I also love cruiserweight wrestling, and WWE just doesn't offer much of that at this point. I think I'll move on at this point as I'm sure I'd just go on forever if I don't stop myself.

Topic 2: Women's Wrestling

I read a blog on here about Divas and Knockouts which I personally thought was pretty much bullshit. Not that the guy isn't entitled to his opinion, which I respect, but the way he went about it was childish and immature, and I'll just leave it at that and give my own opinion on the topic. In the WWE women's wrestling is not what it used to be. Back in the attitude era I actually cared about the female wrestlers. For the most part they were actually WRESTLERS! Trish Stratus, Lita, Tori, Ivory, Jacqueline , Jazz, Chyna, Victoria, Molly Holly, etc. These ladies could actually go out and put on a decent match and not botch every single night. Did it have it's problems, sure (Miss Kitty anyone?) but the positives always outweighed the negatives. Now we have glorified models in ring gear being trained how to fall and...well apparently that's about it. I'll give it up for Divas like Beth Phoenix and those that got into this because they wanted to be WRESTLERS, not because they wanted to be DIVAS. But there's a reason why we call Divas matches "potty breaks". A lot of these ladies simply need more training..simple as that, and some just don't belong. The women's division will get it's respect when it can consistently put on exciting matches. This leads me to the Knockouts of TNA. They are not immune to the problems that the Divas have, but I have actually been excited by some knockout matches. They are actually given screen time to develop story lines (lame as they may be) and use the momentum from these story lines in their matches. As far as I can tell in the WWE, the divas "story lines" pretty much all happen after a match and I rarely know why to divas are facing off. They have improved with this Beth Phoenix story line but it's a band aid on severed limb. Personally, I'll still be taking my potty breaks during the divas matches. I hope you guys enjoy them more than I do...someone should.

Topic 3: Brand Merger?

Well it looks like the WWE is kinda sorta unofficially merging the brands back together. My thoughts? It's about damn time! I was never a fan of the brand split to begin with, although I understand why they did it at the time. Before the split Raw and Smackdown were both "A" shows with the difference being you could find out what happened on Smackdown a few days early. I would always read the spoilers but it never kept me from tuning in. Why? Because the quality was the same on both shows. Stone Cold ran amok on Raw AND Smackdown. The Rock gave can't miss promos on Raw AND Smackdown. And both shows had can't miss main events. When the split happened I felt Smackdown turning into the "B" show. I continued to read the spoilers but I stopped tuning in. Maybe not right away, but over time I felt the quality degrading. I know some of you will disagree but hey, this is just my opinion. Rated_R(ob)KO had a great blog on the topic (go read!) and for the most part I agree with him on it. I think the WWE should trim the fat off the roster and cut back on the PPV's. On the other hand, I'm not sure how I feel about keeping both the WWE Championship and the World Heavyweight Championship. I think I'm more in favor of just keeping the WWE Championship (please change that god awful belth though). The main event in WWE isn't entirely packed right now. You have Cena, Punk, Del Rio, Christian (for how long?) Orton, Henry (for now), and I'm gonna throw Sheamus in there to. Those not immediately feuding for the belt can be in "personal" feuds and throw one or 2 into the tag team division to lend it some credibility from time to time. Before the brand split the main event roster looked roughly like this: Stone Cold, The Rock, Foley, Triple H, Kurt Angle, Chris Jericho, Undertaker, Brock Lesnar, etc. I think they had more main event guys back then and only one belt, and guess what, it worked. Guys get injured. It's going to happen, but you'll always have someone to step up. Austin got injured and The Rock and Triple H were the top guys. Triple H got injured and Austin and Rock tore down the house, and so on and so forth. Of course I'm not really expecting them to get rid of the World Heavyweight Championship. I'm just saying though, would it really be that bad?

That's gonna do it for me this week. Thanks for reading and as always I'd love to hear what you guys have to say! also I'm looking for a new name for my blog and would like some suggestions from you guys so please help me out. Until next time....

Submit "Wrestling Hot Topics Part Deux" to Digg Submit "Wrestling Hot Topics Part Deux" to del.icio.us Submit "Wrestling Hot Topics Part Deux" to StumbleUpon Submit "Wrestling Hot Topics Part Deux" to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

I read a blog on here about Divas and Knockouts which I personally thought was pretty much bullshit. Not that the guy isn't entitled to his opinion, which I respect, but the way he went about it was childish and immature
    That guy sounds like a real piece of work.
    yeah...let's be freinemies
    Like Jose Gonzales and Bruiser Brody. Just don't stab me in the shower.

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.