View RSS Feed

jonny316

WWE: RAW Review, April 18th

Rate this Entry
I need to start out by saying I am a huge fan of the WWE and Raw in particular and unlike most I believe the WWE has been on form for quite a while. However, I have to say tonight's show from London absolutely sucked. First of all the crowd were awful. They were flat as a pancake all night which didn't help one bit, but far as I'm concerned the content was below the standard I have come to know from Raw.

Ironically it had some big moments, like Cole getting knighted and R Truth turning heel (although he wasn't exactly much of a face to begin with). I don't know what to say about the R Truth, John Morrison segment. It was certainly better than the crowd let on, but it really set the tone for a dull, flat, cumbersome, awkward show, which Sky Sports made even better by cutting to the commercials at the wrong time and returning with a couple of minutes of the Raw logo before going back to the programme.

Moving on quickly, like Sky's editor, The Rock has killed John Cena's heat. For all his haters Cena had an equal amount of followers. A few years ago you either loved or hated him and you let him know about it. Now the fans either hate him or are indifferent. This is an injustice because we had a right to hate him before, but now he's so much better and still has so much to give. It's a sad state of affairs if he has to come out with that Mexican jumping bean just to get a pop.

On to Sin Cara now. He is spectacular and he is amazing and I was incredibly impressed with him taking down Sheamus and Swagger but after watching him with Primo and the match with Cena against Miz and Alex Riley I am not convinced. He messed up the finish last week, his timing was slightly off this week and it looked like he missed that last spot by a mile. It doesn't bode well if he is going to be in the main event picture, he looks like he should be at FCW still learning his craft. There's guys been there longer than him, who have been putting on great matches and if I were them and this high spot junkie came in and went to the front of the queue I would not be happy. We haven't seen Primo for ages and all of a sudden he's back doing the job for Cara. That smacks of people not wanting to put this new guy over who hasn't paid his dues and will more than likely hurt them. Just ask Miz, he's either the best seller in the world or Sin Cara volleyed him in the skull. That I don't have a problem with, it's better than a popcorn shot, but botches I will not abide. So stop messing up Sin Cara!

Which leads me to Sir Michael Cole. I will freely admit I'm a miner and I bet the 'Sir' gimmick will catch on but this segment was painful. Considering this was a taped show it was so drawn out and boring. It was like going back to the days of Bischoff and for the first time in a long time I was watching Raw and not enjoying it. When they brought out the fake Queen I wasn't offended as an Englishman I was offended as a wrestling fan. I hope someone sticks something unpleasant in one of those Cole hole's you see on his mine.

As I just said I'm English and even though I don't have lineage to the High King's of Ireland I do have some Irish blood in me. So I was hoping Sheamus got a good pop. And what did he get? Hardly anything from the stuck up London crowd. Considering this was a show from England and right now is probably the best time for British and Irish Superstars, they didn't get much airtime at all. No McIntyre, Wade Barrett wasn't on, Mason Ryan was hardly on, and all Sheamus did was have a bad match with Santino after mentioning the draft which one of the Bella's did earlier in the night pretty much word for word.

The thing is I wouldn't mind if the British and Irish guys didn't get much airtime just as long as we didn't get a second rate Raw like we did. It felt like a nothing show from out of nowhere, a complete misstep. They should of built up the main event of CM Punk and Randy Orton in the opening segment. But even then it was a nothing fight with nothing on the line. If anything the Morrison, Truth match should of been the main event. And quite frankly I'm getting a little bored of the New Nexus, they have two settings, stand there and schmoz. WWE needs to give them some character otherwise they are never going to get over. And what the hell are they doing with Daniel Bryan?! Not to mention Dolph Ziggler looked like a jacked up Evan Bourne. I'm beginning to worry.

In closing, my advice to the WWE is stay out of London. Go to places that will appreciate you coming to town. But if you are going to go overseas bring your A game. After watching that dross I have to say God bless the USA.

And that's the bottom line 'cause Jonny 3:16 said so!

Submit "WWE: RAW Review, April 18th" to Digg Submit "WWE: RAW Review, April 18th" to del.icio.us Submit "WWE: RAW Review, April 18th" to StumbleUpon Submit "WWE: RAW Review, April 18th" to Google

Updated 04-19-2011 at 08:20 AM by Frank

Categories
Thoughts and Opinions

Comments

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Sir Michael Cole! Sir Michael Cole! Sir Michael Cole!
    ok.... 3 things
    1) i was there last night in the crowd
    2) i havent watched it back on tape yet
    3) i made this account to reply to you

The crowd were not flat at all, when cena entered it was incredibly loud, not just boos but cheers, shouting, everything. The crowd were only silent when they had crap matches on that no one cared about for example.... the bellas vs eve...no one cares.... another one was sheamus vs santino, they get pops when they enter, then silence coz the match was terrible, n no one cares. The starting segment was terrible and there was noise, but it musta been edited coz they had chants like " who are ya?" and "thats illegal" when he was smoking, which was hilarious but i doubt they put it in the tv show.

like i said i dunno how it looked on tv, but i can tell you as a member of the audience it was mega loud, there was lets go cena, cena suck back and fourth before we even got in the arena and then again when we did, he didnt even have to be the in the room, and then when his face appeared on any advert or annoucement everyone booed him, it was hilarious.

so trust it me, in person it wasnt flat.
    Yer I was there too and it was awesome so first things first.

Wade Barrett and co were no there because they are on Smackdown and if you took the time to check, they were at a house show in Birmingham at the same time. And as Mizisawesome said the crowd were of the hook we were chanting Cena SUCKS all night and the place was packed to the roof with an awesome buzz!!!! So next time you go on a rant about ungrateful London fans maybe you should actually go to the show before you mouth off either that or turn the volume up on your TV!!!
    The problem with the Cole/Swagger/JR/Lawler angle is that there making it look like King & JR have no chance of winning.During the build up to a PPV your supposed to showcase that both are capable of beating eachother.
    I'm just calling it how I see it. I'm sure the atmosphere was great in the place but on TV it didn't translate. If you compare it to other shows in the US and even previous shows in England the crowd didn't seem into it. But you got to ask yourself were you dancing to the drummer or was the drummer drumming to your dancing. In other words if the show was better, the crowd would of been better and if the crowd were better, the show would of been better. Although I will side with you, the show was worse.

As for you Jim, Birmingham and London aren't far apart they could of done a double shot. And you get Smackdown guys on Raw all the time. Plus I'm not a smark, I just watch the show and I felt something had to be said. That was the worst Raw I watched since I don't know when and I never miss an episode.
    Updated 04-19-2011 at 08:12 PM by jonny316
    Jonny316 one thing that stands out from this: You don't know Mistico very well. (If you don't know Mistico, then you shouldn't talk about his wrestling.) Try wrestling his style and try not to eff up a few times and let me know.
    First of all smarky smark never assume anything about a stranger. Secondly, if you like watching two guys that belong in a circus putting on an array of dazzling acrobatics that's up to you. Not to say I don't like Lucha libre but the WWE is not Lucha Libre. Call me old fashioned but I want to suspend my belief and watch a wrestling contest that is believable and for the most part the WWE deliver. He has had two matches and neither of them have fufilled that criteria. Basically, he cheapens the art-form of wrestling.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.