View RSS Feed

Renevious

Please Stop With All the Pay Per Views

Rating: 3 votes, 3.67 average.
Ladies and Gentlemen, something tells me that I’m not the only fan out there who thinks this abundance of pay per views needs to stop. I’ve been watching wrestling since very close to the same time as the first Wrestlemania, which means I’ve seen lots of things change over the years. Back then pay per views were a BIG deal. I mean hell, the WWF didn’t even come out with its second annual event until after Wrestlemania III. Then after the Survivor Series came around, it’s like the rest started trickling in once every year or so, until we ended up with what I consider to be the main five (Royal Rumble, Wrestlemania, King of the Ring, Summerslam, and Survivor Series).

Now personally, I think this was adequate. This gave the superstars enough time to develop some serious fueds between each other. It also gave us fans plenty enough time to build up anticipation that would eventually culminate at whichever event was next. It used to be so exciting watching each week and see two guys mess with each other. It could’ve been by interfering in each other’s matches, terrorizing their rival’s manager, or just seeing each of them being forced to team up in a tag match that would no doubt end in ruin.

Now I’m not stupid. I know pay per views bring in money, and especially with WWE being a publicly traded entity, it has little to no choice but to do anything under the sun to please the shareholders. But is it really worth sacrificing so much quality just for the extra quantity? Honestly I can’t even tell you how many pay per views WWE has in a year now. I’m estimating it’s at least 10. Go ahead and correct me if I’m wrong. But what in world can possibly be so exciting at a pay per view when you know they’re just going to have another one in a few weeks?! Not to mention, the roster is so thin with main event quality these days that the matches we see on Sunday nights once a month are pretty much the exact same thing we see every single week on Monday and Friday. I recently ordered that train wreck known as Wrestlemania 27, and I was appalled. Now I’m not going to get into that because I already wrote a blog just on it, but I do still think it’s worth mentioning that the supposed “granddaddy of them all” only had two titles on the line, and neither one of them changed hands. Weak weak weak.

Finally, I’m going to close with this one last and often overlooked point. Wrestlemania cost me sixty-five bucks this year. A normal pay per view is usually in the forty-five to fifty range. Back in the good old days, they were pretty much a standard $29.95 (except for King of the Ring, which was usually less). Now I understand the inevitable inflation over time, but guys we’re in a recession here. I’m not saying it’s unfair to charge fifty bucks for a pay per view, but the least you could do is give the people their money’s worth. Not to mention, you’re trying to get people to fork out this much cash at least twice as often as you did when I was younger. For someone willing to patronize WWE for these services every time, that well over $500 over the course of a year!!! I hate to bring in sophomore economics into this, but if you flood the market with supply, your demand will suffer. When you’re charging people for each event individually (hence the term pay per view), it doesn’t make much sense to compensate for not providing five good pay per views by giving us twice as many crappy ones. So, do with it what you want, but I’m just saying sometimes less is more. ‘Til next time….

Submit "Please Stop With All the Pay Per Views" to Digg Submit "Please Stop With All the Pay Per Views" to del.icio.us Submit "Please Stop With All the Pay Per Views" to StumbleUpon Submit "Please Stop With All the Pay Per Views" to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    see i totally agree that a ppv every month is bad.......i have just been takeing ppvs(apart from mania,rumble, sumerslam and survivor series) as just events and not main ppv events since 2007........
    The thing that pisses me off most about PPVs today is that the major ones end up with cheap finishes. Within a calender year we have seen the major PPV title matches end with draws,DQs,and screwjob/inerference that solve nothing and make fans feel ripped off.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.