View RSS Feed

Smilie

WMania '11: A Letdown; WWE Aims for 2012

Rating: 3 votes, 3.33 average.
Simply put Wrestlemania 27 was a major let down. After all the hype for weeks, especially around The Rock's role at Wrestlemania, we, as fans, assumed big things were going to go down on the big night. It never really happened. What is clear, is that The Rock's involvement in the last few weeks has been a launchpad for the bigger picture - Wrestlemania 28 - the main event match versus John Cena.

I was also very surprised by the mediocre build ups between key superstars and their matches at Mania since The Elimination Chamber. Randy Orton v CM Punk stood out, as did The Rock - which was really nothing to do with the actual WWE title, but Edge versus Del Rio, Rhodes v Mysterio could have had more spice before the big night.

I assume that the WWE have now put the Royal Rumble on the back burner of importance - just like the US title match which never happened. A Superstar that won The Royal Rumble could gloat they would feature at the Main Event at Wrestlemania - not anymore, as Del Rio's match with Edge kicked off the night and was put as a mid card match......more embarrassing, Michael Cole's irrelevant match versus Lawler was given more airtime.

It also took two veterans to rescue what was becoming a dull PPV - The Undertaker v Triple H - just like The Undertaker and Shawn Michaels rescued Mania's 25 and 26.

The Rock coming out to rescue the WWE title match and interfere was all too obvious and just too safe.....especially with the huge build up over the last few weeks......what would I have done differently?

1: I would have added Christian to the Heavyweight Championship and make it a Triple Threat Match, with Del Rio winning while Christian and Edge start a feud which goes through to a major showdown at Summerslam. Del Rio is a breath of fresh air and deserves a chance. I'm getting bored of Edge as Champion. He is a great performer but not too great on the skits or promos....for example, The Mitz is a more interesting champion.

2: The Big Show v Jackson would have been a better match than the worthless 8 team tag match which lasted a few minutes.

3: Kane v Barrett match

4: Morrison v Ziggler singles match - Morrison is a superb in ring performer - his Elimination Chamber performance was amazing and Ziggler is an underrated superstar...this would have been a very good match to watch.

5: Scrap the Cole v King match

6: Scrap the Divas match with Snooki

7: Make the WWE title a triple threat match - The Rock comes out and says he wants to give both Cena and The Mitz a good kicking and as Host has decided to to it in the title match.............The Rock wins and uses his title match win as a platform for a Rock v The Mitz title match at the next PPV, with Cena's interference, it launches a platform for The Rock v Cena at Summerslam..........Wrestlemania 28 is too far away and you could hear the boos from the crowd when both superstars shook hands on this on Raw the next night.

I agree that the WWE is in transition.....there is not enough collection of great superstars at one go - we regard The Attitude era as one of the best parts of the WWE history because you had a collective group consisting of Austin, The Rock, The Undertaker, Kane, Triple HHH, HBK, Mankind with the added mix of Vince McMahon..........these guys knew how to cut a promo and how to give the crowd what they want as well as being great performers in the ring.............at the moment, all I see is Cena being pushed and my opinion is he is over rated - always has been.

WWE should consider some changes urgently that I am sure will make WWE a lot more watchable and interesting - hopefully by pushing this group of stars for a good time, we may well be able to start talking about a new era that could rival The Attitude era......

1: Del Rio needs to be Heavyweight Champion
2: Edge v Christian feud needs to kick off soon and the promos need to be hot
3: John Morrision needs to be pushed - he has the looks, the moves, the talk....he can be a continuation of the HBK character to some extent.
4: Push Ziggler - but without his Manager Vicki Guerrero - I can see him building a character that becomes a tough SOB like a Sycho Sid or a Curt Henning....
5: Push The Mitz as WWE Champion
6: Randy Orton needs to headline - he is the complete performer in the WWE at the moment.....to be on a mid card match at Mania was wrong
7: CM Punk......he has always been better as a sole performer and not as the leader of some group.....he is a great wrestler and also needs to be headlining - where you had a triangle feud of The Rock v Austin v Triple H, I really think feuds between The Mitz, CM Punk and Orton would work really well........

All the above is just my personal opinion and I am sure others on here will also have some great ideas...would be great to hear them.........I am now seriously wondering whether paying over £15 for a Wrestling PPV is value for money after the lack of quality at Mania 27.

Submit "WMania '11: A Letdown;  WWE Aims for 2012" to Digg Submit "WMania '11: A Letdown;  WWE Aims for 2012" to del.icio.us Submit "WMania '11: A Letdown;  WWE Aims for 2012" to StumbleUpon Submit "WMania '11: A Letdown;  WWE Aims for 2012" to Google

Updated 04-06-2011 at 08:56 AM by Frank

Categories
Thoughts and Opinions

Comments

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    it could have been even worse ... with an appearance by justin bieber.
    The Mitz - Hopefully a future World Champion.
    Apologies - yes I spelt The Miz wrong. Thanks for the ideas...yes I agree it could have been a worse PPV but I also wonder whether the Rock v Cena has been put as a main event to deter from the weaker card that no doubt will follow
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.