View RSS Feed

ComingToCinemas

Review: WrestleMania XXVII

Rate this Entry
Let's be honest, WrestleMania XXVII was never really expected to be the greatest of all-time. It had a slow build-up, very few star-studded matches, and was outshone by the return of The Rock and Michael Cole's ego. What we got was still a shock to me though...

The first shocker came in putting the World Heavyweight Championship match on first. What I thought when this match was announced was that Alberto Del Rio must have really pissed off someone in creative to have his Royal Rumble win tarnished by opening the show as apposed to closing it. Also, why have managers if they aren't going to get involved in the match? One last thing for this match, why have Del Rio lose when you're going to have The Miz retain his title also? It made for zero title changes at WrestleMania XXVII (there must be a record in there somewhere?).

As far as justifying the match as a viable replacement for the formerly traditional Money in the Bank Ladder match, a certain match which would have provided decent wrestling could and should have been the opener; Sheamus versus Daniel Bryan. As well as being a great start to 'Mania in wrestling ability, it was a match that deserved air time more than the Corre versus Santino's all-sorts.

Sheamus being played down is starting to really piss me off. He's a great talent and an issue with one person in creative is causing him to become the next Christian.

Since when does an Eight-Man Tag Team match end in just over 1 minute? Apparently at WrestleMania XXVII. It was yet another match where we were promised a lot more than we got. It was so bad, in fact, that Snooki showed more wrestling ability and got more air time than a group which has received a huge push since debuting on SmackDown...

As negative as this review has been so far, it wasn't all negative. Once the Randy Orton versus CM Punk match was up things started to turn around. It took two hours in what is traditionally a great PPV from the get-go, but at least it got there. For me it was nice to see an RKO reminiscent of the Super RKO from the SvR series, and a great way to end a match dominated by Punk.

Where this ending fell through was that it was effectively recycled for the Undertaker versus Triple H match. For the third year running Undertaker received a beating and overcame the odds. I know I'll probably get a lot of heat for this, but despite being part of the best match on the card for the past three years it hasn't been him who made it so. At WrestleMania XXV it was Shawn Michaels' "one move away" moment, at XXVI it was Shawn Michaels putting his career on the line to defeat Undertaker, and this year it was a combination of Triple H striking 'Taker in the head with a steel chair, hitting everything he had (including a Tombstone Piledriver), and overall a flashback to the Triple H which rose through the ranks in 1999-2000. A theme which the back end of the card seemed to be close to.

As far as main events go, John Cena versus The Miz would not have earned that spot without the involvement of The Rock. Cena as a main eventer has gotten too old and standard to produce any hype, and The Miz, despite his title reign and rise to fame, was yet to showcase his true talent in the ring. I've already read a tonne of comments either on Twitter, Facebook, or on this website which have said they didn't want to see the match play out the way it did. Let's be honest here; who saw the match ending as a draw? Nobody. For this reason alone it makes it a great match. It did everything it was intended to. It got The Miz over as a genuine champion (he pulled out some pretty impressive moves, a far cry from what we see on RAW) and maintained Cena's popularity among the children's demographic by having The Rock cost him the match (the only expected event IMO). Ultimately, I loved this match because it was fast-paced from the start and ended in the same way that WrestleMania 2000 (my first "real" WrestleMania viewing experience) did. It was a great throwback for all of the fans who miss the "Attitude" Era (there seemed to be a lot judging by the boos Cena got) and helped to fuel the Cena/Rock feud in a way that The Miz can move on from.

Overall, WrestleMania XXVII was nowhere near what I expect to be a great PPV, but the reasons for this are beyond the talent's control. There are still a lot of questions to ask about this; why did The Corre, who hold two major Championships, get squashed on the biggest stage? why did the Royal Rumble winner's "main event" open the show? and perhaps the biggest question, WHERE DID SNOOKI LEARN TO DO A HANDSPRING ELBOW/BUMP!?

Submit "Review: WrestleMania XXVII" to Digg Submit "Review: WrestleMania XXVII" to del.icio.us Submit "Review: WrestleMania XXVII" to StumbleUpon Submit "Review: WrestleMania XXVII" to Google

Updated 04-04-2011 at 10:35 AM by Frank

Categories
Thoughts and Opinions

Comments

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    watching edge beat up del rio's car afterward with kicking n elbow drops was like watching ryu or ken kick the crap outta the car in the original street fighter II game.

seeing snooki do a move chyna did at wm 2000 was impressive for a sec but her splash was botched however hahah.
    Updated 04-04-2011 at 08:36 PM by Saiga
    It got The Miz over as a genuine champion
    So you're saying LOSING is match at Wrestlemania and then winning the restart thanks to the Rock BEATING CENA BECAUSE HE COULDN'T KEEP HIM DOWN made him genuine? I bet you liked it when Hogan came down and defeated Yokozuna after he beaten Bret Hart.
    dude when they announced the final card i thought i was dreaming. It would total crap compared to Wrestlemania 17. I like to compare each wrestlemania to the wrestlemania 10 years before it. For example I compared wrestlemania 26 with wrestlemania 16.

Im just fed up and the WWE are wasting peoples money with fuckin celebrities. I watch a fuckin wrestling show to see fuckin wrestlers perform. If we wanna see celebs then we will watch their fuckin movies but save it for the theaters and not for the damn ring. Its a disgrace to the guys that gave everything for this business.

I have no problem with celebs but show them in the crowd or backstage on camera but HOW DARE U put them in these fuckin matches and pass up on the guys that actually wrestle. Sheamus & Bryan was pulled from the card because they'd rather showcase a match with fuckin snooki wrestling.

They could've easy took Dolph & Morrison from that match and added them to the daniel bryan & Sheamus match and made it a fatal 4way for the belt. Now thats called giving us our money's worth.

Whatabout the divas who bleed for this company like Eve, Alicia Fox, Melina & Maryse. They had to sitout because vince would rather see snooki wrestle.

Sorry to complain I appologize but please tell me whats the point of paying these celebs these huge pay days just for them to make one or two appearances and then disapear back to their hollywood lives. Instead u could've payed your own stars to perform.

Great Blog dude and sorry for the foul language
    Quote Originally Posted by Rassling_Fan
    So you're saying LOSING is match at Wrestlemania and then winning the restart thanks to the Rock BEATING CENA BECAUSE HE COULDN'T KEEP HIM DOWN made him genuine? I bet you liked it when Hogan came down and defeated Yokozuna after he beaten Bret Hart.
    At the end of the day the result is a small part of putting someone over; what counts is how they perform during the match. Yeah it was reminiscent of a RAW main event but at least it showcased more than The Miz usually brings to the table. Kicking out of the AA and holding his own against the (*sighs*) face of WWE on the biggest stage is more than enough to stop people from claiming Miz is an undeserved champion. Also, he didn't lose. A draw puts him on the same level as Cena.

As for the Hogan comment, Bret and Hogan are stuck in a time loop which makes them think they should be a part of the product still. I don't have time for has beens and honestly never liked either of them.
    To the person who banned me.
    I thought Americans believed in free speech. Apparently your only allowed free speech if you don't piss anyone off.
    Guess what I'm here to piss you off.
    I enjoy posting douchie comments online, it makes me feel good to know there are people dumber than me. Its a way to blow off steam I suggest you try being a douche.
    The only thing wrong with this was the lineup
    if the card was organized better the ppv would of been a helluvalot better and it should of finished with taker vs HHH
    Quote Originally Posted by candlelarbra521
    To the person who banned me.
    I thought Americans believed in free speech. Apparently your only allowed free speech if you don't piss anyone off.
    Guess what I'm here to piss you off.
    I enjoy posting douchie comments online, it makes me feel good to know there are people dumber than me. Its a way to blow off steam I suggest you try being a douche.
    Who blocked you? lol.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.