Conversation Between Iron Ape and Kashdinero

145 Visitor Messages

Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast
  1. Bruv, that sounds awful. And being a US citizen, it also sounds like it could get/has been expensive. I've had two minor back injuries myself, and the sort of work I do was blamed, but had I taken the necessary time off from work the first time it happened, the second one would never have happened. To this day, I can't sit in a comfortable position for longer than twenty minutes before comfortable mutates into its ugly opposite. It's far from needing surgery, though.

I would say that the anti-inflamatories part is reason to at least consider surgery in the near future, as those things are nasty little bastards that cause gastric problems (which I'm sure you're aware of) and all sorts.

On the bright side, it must give you plenty of time to catch up on the to-watch list

Good luck with the meeting, bruv. I'm sure you've got it in the bag.
  2. Aw, my back is all fucked up, man. I've been having ongoing problems with it since 2006. Physical therapy and an epidural didn't do shit for me, so I've been on a pain management system for the past couple of years (which includes daily doses of anti-inflammatory medication and hardcore pain meds that I eat like Pez). I kind of feel like I'm too young for surgery, plus there's no guarantee that surgery will work, but I think I'm ultimately just delaying the inevitable.

The whole thing doesn't make any sense, either, as there wasn't any specific incident or injury that precipitated my problems, either. And I've always been in really good physical shape, so it's all sort of puzzling. One day I was just bent over to drink some water from a fountain, and when I went to stand straight up, I just, well, couldn't. So, now, every so many weeks or months, I just randomly throw my back out. Fucking sucks.
  3. Thats great news about the meeting, but, I've never watched it. I know my mum really enjoyed it, though, and Robson Green is quite a big name over here. He used to be in a program called Soldier Soldier, but his big break came after he did a cover of Unchained Melody with Jerome Flynn... Robson & Jerome were HUGE for a while in the early nineties, and Unchained Melody was at number one in the charts for fookin ages!

So... Wasn't really much help, was I?

BTW, how's the back, man?
  4. Speaking of crime dramas- I've got a little meeting later in the week to discuss maybe doing some work for a remake of a show from your neck of the woods, Wire In The Blood. I know I'm cutting it a little close, but I just started watching the original to acquaint myself with the material a bit. Is that a show that you're at all familiar with? If so, what are your thoughts about it?
  5. Ahh, thats a shame about Memphis Beat. I was wondering to myself what Jason Lee had been up too since they cruelly canceled Earl, so I looked him up, and thought I'd ask the expert

Another thing America has given us are crime dramas... Lot's and lot's of crime dramas. CSI (insert state) is loved by many a British citizen.
  6. Memphis Beat is television cotton candy; light, fluffy, and ultimately unsatisfying (and if you eat...er, watch too much of it, you might throw up). It's a shame to say all of that, too, as Jason Lee used to be a favorite of mine. The show is formulaic and dull, and it's a real shame to see his talents wasted on something so creatively unfulfilling.

If you're looking for some light action fare that does the whole formula thing in a reasonably entertaining fashion, you'd be better off watching Burn Notice. It's slick, sexy, and almost always enjoyable. It's not on the level of something substantial like The Shield or The Wire, but it's harmless dumb fun that will smack a smile on your face whenever you happen to catch an episode.
  7. I'll give Men of a Certain Age a spin, as Ray has a certain charm that some makes it impossible to hate, try as I might. Although I wouldn't go as far as to say I love him lol.

I was meaning to check out Memphis Beat one day, too. Any good?
  8. It's funny that you should bring up Everybody Loves Raymond; about a month or two ago, my latest obsession became Ray Romano's new dramedy series, Men Of a Certain Age. Even though I was always impressed with the underrated writing on Everybody Loves Raymond, I never found Ray Romano to be anything particularly special as far as acting went. I've now done a complete 180 on the guy as his work on his new show is actually kind of brilliant. And he's responsible for creating the series and doing a good chunk of the writing, and it's really fantastic, understated story-telling with strong character development and depth (I think the show even just won a Peabody Award, which is sort of a big deal).

And, yes, the US Shameless is f-ing great. It took a couple of episodes before it really found it's footing, but by the end of the first season it had become something special. The US Office followed a similar trajectory.
  9. Also, here's a few more.

My Wife and Kids
    Sponge Bob Square Pants
    Simpsons
    Family Guy
    South Park

As you can see, all the real gems are well hidden.

As for Louie CK. He's so obscure here I couldn't even get Lucky Louie on DVD, and when I finally found it on Amazon, it never worked on my DVD player due to region codes. Although it does work on my laptop, and I'm gonna hit that up soon. Arrested Development IS my next port of call. If I can't download it, I'm gonna buy it. By the end of next week, either way, I'll be watching it. I did some IMDb-ing and Michael Cera is a guilty pleasure of mine (Year One, SuperBad, Scott Pilgrim, Youth in revolt.).

But with HBO becoming very prominent due to our new TV channel, Sky Atlantic, theasses have been exposed to some fantastic stuff, so things ARE at least on the up.
  10. Man, that's a toughie because all of the big American comedy actors are really big over here, and their movies do great numbers at the cinemas. But our US TV comedy programs (on terrestrial TV) are very limited. Friends is still on everyday, as is Everybody Loves Raymond and Fraiser. My Name is Earl was quite big here (I loved that show) and The Big Bang Theory is still going strong. Are you impressed yet? Nah, didn't think so. At the moment The Mentalist seems to be high on everybodies list, but I can't be having it. I have a feeling that Channel 4 and Chuck Lorre have some kind of deal going on, and the majority of Brits think that that style of US comedy is the norm. The US Office was on for a bit, but it didn't really take off, although it's still on Sky TV's Comedy Channel. When a UK show gets remade by Americans, the general (mis)conception here is it won't be as good as the original, which is a shame, because the US Shameless look brilliant! Maybe even better than the UK one.
Showing Visitor Messages 131 to 140 of 145
Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.