Blog Comments

Quote Originally Posted by Xpacfan
    Personally, I think TNA has the potential to grow large enough to compete with the WWE one day. You'd just have to consider the head start and legacy WWE has and why it maybe bit more challenging for TNA to do so vs WCW.

WCW began the "attitude era" as we knew it by forcing the then WWF to introduce a more edgier product to remain competitive. Well, the simple thing to assume would be for TNA to do the same now that the WWE has chosen to revert to a PG format. However, the "attitude era" was so edgy that its a bit difficult to come up with those original ideas or to do something that new and exciting that hasn't already been done before.

This is what WCW was able to do but TNA is challenged with due to it being birthed on the heels of that time period. Its growth will be much slower but it will grow nonetheless. Since 2003, the company has come a long way and has made a lot of huge acquisitions along the way. But they need to "pull a WCW gets Hogan" and find that one defining action that solidifies them as serious threat to the WWE...I think that is what's going to make the difference moving forward.
    Personally, I feel like you do have a point in the whole TNA needs to do the whole pulling in a huge name. The only name I can honestly think of that would create a buzz, like Hogan, is Cena. Some might take a dig at me for it, but take an honest second to think about it, and I think you'll see my point
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexWorldOrder
    Wwe storylines actually go nowhere. What has been the last major storyline they've produced besides Punk going heel? Same shit repeats with the same exact people. My little nephew digs them, so I guess it does the job for what Vince is trying to accomplish.
    Here is the thing though. In all of wrestling, storylines will always repeat. The only thing that will change is who is involved, and little twists within it, but for the most part, there is no originality in wrestling, just refreshing. It all comes down to how they pull it off if it is remember as successful or a dud.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkside Ron Garvin
    Well, I will agree with you; to a point. I think WWE DOES have more star power. However, if you went to a casual fan or a non-fan, I think Hulk Hogan would be associated with wrestling. For those who were fans in the past (say a decade) but drifted away, Sting and Jeff Hardy would both be associated. Where I DO agree with you is that WWE has younger names bringing in the Star Power these days and that is what gets them the win in my book. Hogan and Sting shouldn’t be the most recognizable names in your wrestling company in my opinion… Just like I think The Rock shouldn’t be the WWE’s recognizable name. Also, if you are going to include The Rock, shouldn’t you have removed Sheamus and added Brock Lesnar?

No argument here. You put this very well and I totally agree with this point.

This is something that goes either way. TNA had the Roode reign storyline that helped to breathe life into the product. Mixed with Bully Ray as the top heel (which I believe he still is, he’s just playing the good guy at the moment) and the emergence of Bad Influence added with Austin Aries moving to the main event instead of X-Division, you could say that these stories were comparable to the WWE’s. However, you are basing this off of CURRENT stories (or how someone who started watching this week would view it) so I am not going to disagree with your stance. If a brand new fan was to view either product without a back story, I feel WWE’s story lines would win out.

Yes, new stars HAVE debuted, but what have they done? The Shield was in 3 matches and a shit load of run ins (which oddly enough, no one complained about but claimed this killed the A&8’s angle). Bo was in the Rumble and 1 other match. Big E has the same amount of matches as Fandango at this point. New stars for TNA – DOC, since being revealed around the same time as the Shield Debut, has had more matches than the entire list of stars you quoted; combined. Add in when he and Knox were masked, plus Joey Ryan, plus Christian York, plus Kenny King… You see where I am going with this, right bear?

I think you were accurate up until you said that TNA will never be as big as WCW. I think there IS a possibility that they could do so (look at how far they came in 10 years; imagine if they make it to 25), therefore I wouldn’t make a statement such as this (or the competition comment). I will, however, agree that they aren’t there at the moment and that over all, WWE has a better product based upon their production values, their air time on cable television, and the “superstars” they have at their disposal. Good blog, bro.
    First, yeah I made the mistake of picking Sheamus over Brock, as Brock would be the type that could bring the MMA fan in merely from Brock's history in the UFC. I still think the WWE would win, even if you looked at the backstory. While anything involving a heel Bully Ray was gold, they turned him face and have him in the boat with Brooke Hogan. I honestly hope he turns heel again as I think he is such a better heel. While I also agree that Roode's title reign was a good storyline, I disagree on Bad Influence. While Daniels and Kaz as a team is great, and they are entertaining, for a good portion of 2012 they were involved in a shitty storyline with AJ.

When I was talking of new talent, I wasn't meaning in the case of people they have brought in. I'm meaning people they had trained, and then brought up. Much like Big E, Bo, Seth, and others spent time in NXT, honing their WWE style of wrestling before getting called up, I would relate it to TNA and OVW. When I think of talent they developed and then brought to the main scene, i would think of a lot of the gut check winners, of which none have come back to the main roster i believe.

While of course we can't predict the future and say for certain one way or another that TNA will or won't compete against WWE,, I'm merely guesstimating based on where they are currently, and where they are heading. I think the moment they get close to competing with the WWE, the WWE will find a way to squash the company. But that is just one mans opinion.

Thanks for the comments DRG
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexWorldOrder
    sheeesh... Those are actually all the angles that made me feel like they were constantly insulting my intelligence -_-

I did find the fake heart attack to be pretty good. I just wish it had a better execution.
    Pissing off smarks is not a bad thing!

Also Drg the teddy angle might not have been great, but I will admit I got a couple of crappy chuckles out of that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dennis
    the AJ story lines were actually very enjoyable to me until she began to date Dolph Ziggler, and even this is better than some of the other storylines that TNA produces IMO..

Brock losing was the smart business move. Why have him come back to beat the face of WWE, that would have been inane booking. Brock doesn't care about the wwe, HHH has made him look plenty strong since that point.

The 18 second match Daniel bryan has accredited with getting him over, As a huge fan(even bordering on mark) of Daniel bryan I can say that I'm glad he lost like that. People actually care about him now.

The embrace the hate story line I also liked, it gave a side of John we hadn't seen... plus it gave every ones favorite Broski some air time Win/Win!

I can't recall the scramble thing you are talking about

Paul Heyman's fake heart attack was great! He's a heel and he used a real life event to get over more as a heel. That's good stuff IMO. Jerry was obviously ok with it.
    sheeesh... Those are actually all the angles that made me feel like they were constantly insulting my intelligence -_-

I did find the fake heart attack to be pretty good. I just wish it had a better execution.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkside Ron Garvin
    Denny, you do remember the Team Johnny vs. Team Teddy angle from last year’s WM, right?

How about "Embrace the Hate"?

Or the angle that WWE did similar to the AJ baby angle... AJ Lee / John Cena / Vickie Guerrero scandal...

AJ Lee as GM?

Brock losing to Cena immediately after returning from a LONG absence?

18 seconds to open Mania?

The Fake Heart Attack?

Survivor Series Scramble angle that added Cena to the match... Almost the night of the PPV?

Trust me; TNA had some bad angles and moments in 2012... But let's not give them their "due diligence" without holding them accountable to the same standards.
    the AJ story lines were actually very enjoyable to me until she began to date Dolph Ziggler, and even this is better than some of the other storylines that TNA produces IMO..

Brock losing was the smart business move. Why have him come back to beat the face of WWE, that would have been inane booking. Brock doesn't care about the wwe, HHH has made him look plenty strong since that point.

The 18 second match Daniel bryan has accredited with getting him over, As a huge fan(even bordering on mark) of Daniel bryan I can say that I'm glad he lost like that. People actually care about him now.

The embrace the hate story line I also liked, it gave a side of John we hadn't seen... plus it gave every ones favorite Broski some air time Win/Win!

I can't recall the scramble thing you are talking about

Paul Heyman's fake heart attack was great! He's a heel and he used a real life event to get over more as a heel. That's good stuff IMO. Jerry was obviously ok with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dennis
    Stihltygre, Do you remember the aj styles baby storyline? WWE is much more creative IMO in their storylines, and give them their due diligence and be done with them. With the exclusion of the anonymous gm.
    Denny, you do remember the Team Johnny vs. Team Teddy angle from last year’s WM, right?

How about "Embrace the Hate"?

Or the angle that WWE did similar to the AJ baby angle... AJ Lee / John Cena / Vickie Guerrero scandal...

AJ Lee as GM?

Brock losing to Cena immediately after returning from a LONG absence?

18 seconds to open Mania?

The Fake Heart Attack?

Survivor Series Scramble angle that added Cena to the match... Almost the night of the PPV?

Trust me; TNA had some bad angles and moments in 2012... But let's not give them their "due diligence" without holding them accountable to the same standards.
Page 3 of 121 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.