Blog Comments

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy Thunder
    Comparing Alex Riley to JTG or Tatsu is like comparing apples to oranges bud. Riley is FAR and beyond better than both of those combined. Riley has all the tools required to be a top guy in WWE, and while he's doing great as a commentator, it's a huge shame that someone so talented is being wasted behind a commentary desk rather than being utilized in the ring on the main shows.
    Amen to that. Alex Riley could have easily become the next big thing.
    [QUOTE=Darkside Ron Garvin;bt76285]

[COLOR=#222222][FONT=Tahoma]Look at it this way; A-Ry having to work his way from the ground up leaves him in the position of competing for time with other lower card talents that are being used. It also subjects him to being the fodder that is being fed to someone like Curtis Axel while waiting for the WWE to cycle through all other ideas that they have for opponents and angles at that time. He is also in competition with other well loved gimmicks like Santino, hated gimmicks like 3MB, and forgotten acts like Zach Ryder.[/FONT][/COLOR]

[COLOR=#222222][FONT=Tahoma]Now if you let A-Ry stay on commentary for a show that is gaining popularity by the day in NXT, then he is now associated as the voice of the future. His stock is rising because as NXT continually improves with people like Zayn stepping up, he is being associated with a success. It also gives him the chance to work on any type of gimmick they give him. He has almost an hour of screen time and exposure on a WWE product – How is that not better than 10 mins a week on a show with a similar (if not smaller) following? [/FONT][/COLOR]

[COLOR=#222222][FONT=Tahoma]And in no way is he hindered from gaining experience. If anything, he has a chance to remain fresh and injury free longer. He has more opportunities to continually improve his arsenal in the ring. He can work on expanding his move set, while remaining on WWE programming, and WHEN he returns to being used on one of the 2 main shows (which he will), he will now seem fresh to the WWE crowds as well as impressive with any new moves he has added to his move set. Just because he is the commentator on NXT at the moment does not mean that the WWE has permanently forbidden him to ever compete in the ring again. If anything, it shows that the WWE thinks of Riley as enough of an asset to use him where they can while formulating a plan to get a creative storyline in place for him. I’m sorry if it isn’t happening as fast as you would like, but at least give them the credit for having SOMETHING for him to do and not making him the next JTG or Tatsu.[/FONT][/COLOR][/QUOTE]

Comparing Alex Riley to JTG or Tatsu is like comparing apples to oranges bud. Riley is FAR and beyond better than both of those combined. Riley has all the tools required to be a top guy in WWE, and while he's doing great as a commentator, it's a huge shame that someone so talented is being wasted behind a commentary desk rather than being utilized in the ring on the main shows.
    Quote Originally Posted by TempestH
    Why should Riley be stuck on the announce table when he's perfectly capable of putting on solid matches. There's no reason why he can't commentate AND wrestle. I'd honestly rather see Riley as a jobber than not wrestling at all. Because even if he's losing all the time, he's still a guy that the crowd rallies behind and he can put on fun matches

And he doesn't stand out at the announce table. Quite frankly as an announcer he's even more generic than he is as a wrestler. I like him as a wrestler, but as a commentator, the dude is the drizzling shits. He's just too plain. He has none of the quirks that made JBL, Booker T, Regal, or Matt Strike stand out as commentators.

Riley is caught in a huge catch 22. WWE won't let him wrestle, but not wrestling limits him as a commentator. Not wrestling keeps Riley from gaining experience and insight that he can bring to the announce table in the future. If WWE wants him to succeed as a commentator, they will let him live out his in ring career so that down the line he has a plethora of wisdom to draw insight from.

I do admit that being a commentator allows Riley to show a bit of personality, but why not use that to segue into an in-ring persona. Why not let "commentator who wrestles" be his gimmick? Why not have some heel try to pick on Josh or whoever and Riley stands up for him? Why not have 3MB beating up Zack Ryder in the ring or, and Riley takes off the headset and jumps into the fray to make the save?

Look at it this way; A-Ry having to work his way from the ground up leaves him in the position of competing for time with other lower card talents that are being used. It also subjects him to being the fodder that is being fed to someone like Curtis Axel while waiting for the WWE to cycle through all other ideas that they have for opponents and angles at that time. He is also in competition with other well loved gimmicks like Santino, hated gimmicks like 3MB, and forgotten acts like Zach Ryder.

Now if you let A-Ry stay on commentary for a show that is gaining popularity by the day in NXT, then he is now associated as the voice of the future. His stock is rising because as NXT continually improves with people like Zayn stepping up, he is being associated with a success. It also gives him the chance to work on any type of gimmick they give him. He has almost an hour of screen time and exposure on a WWE product – How is that not better than 10 mins a week on a show with a similar (if not smaller) following?

And in no way is he hindered from gaining experience. If anything, he has a chance to remain fresh and injury free longer. He has more opportunities to continually improve his arsenal in the ring. He can work on expanding his move set, while remaining on WWE programming, and WHEN he returns to being used on one of the 2 main shows (which he will), he will now seem fresh to the WWE crowds as well as impressive with any new moves he has added to his move set. Just because he is the commentator on NXT at the moment does not mean that the WWE has permanently forbidden him to ever compete in the ring again. If anything, it shows that the WWE thinks of Riley as enough of an asset to use him where they can while formulating a plan to get a creative storyline in place for him. I’m sorry if it isn’t happening as fast as you would like, but at least give them the credit for having SOMETHING for him to do and not making him the next JTG or Tatsu.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkside Ron Garvin
    Yeah, A-Ry is doing more to re-establish his value with his work in NXT than he would being lost in the fodder that is the current WWE Active Roster. He stands out on the table, but would be generic wrestler #4 if he was wrestling.
    Why should Riley be stuck on the announce table when he's perfectly capable of putting on solid matches. There's no reason why he can't commentate AND wrestle. I'd honestly rather see Riley as a jobber than not wrestling at all. Because even if he's losing all the time, he's still a guy that the crowd rallies behind and he can put on fun matches

And he doesn't stand out at the announce table. Quite frankly as an announcer he's even more generic than he is as a wrestler. I like him as a wrestler, but as a commentator, the dude is the drizzling shits. He's just too plain. He has none of the quirks that made JBL, Booker T, Regal, or Matt Strike stand out as commentators.

Riley is caught in a huge catch 22. WWE won't let him wrestle, but not wrestling limits him as a commentator. Not wrestling keeps Riley from gaining experience and insight that he can bring to the announce table in the future. If WWE wants him to succeed as a commentator, they will let him live out his in ring career so that down the line he has a plethora of wisdom to draw insight from.

I do admit that being a commentator allows Riley to show a bit of personality, but why not use that to segue into an in-ring persona. Why not let "commentator who wrestles" be his gimmick? Why not have some heel try to pick on Josh or whoever and Riley stands up for him? Why not have 3MB beating up Zack Ryder in the ring or, and Riley takes off the headset and jumps into the fray to make the save?
    Quote Originally Posted by Cocop29
    I think you have left this a bit short after using the title of 'Resurrecting Alex Riley'. You stop after a tag match. You've not really expanded on what he does to ressurect himself.
    You are absolutely right. I will happily add on more to it later later today. Stay tuned.
    I think you have left this a bit short after using the title of 'Resurrecting Alex Riley'. You stop after a tag match. You've not really expanded on what he does to ressurect himself.
    Ya riley was sick of being ribbed by cena and stood up for self cena cried to vince and boom bye riley
    even on superstars his pop is huge man
    riley is the real deal one of my favs
Page 1 of 17 123 11 ... LastLast

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.