Blog Comments

@ Kyle Fitta

Don't smear a legend if you don't watch the show. I don't like the joker gimmick because in my opinion Sting (and many others on the TNA-roster) has done too much face/heel turns in the recent year, and because it essentially is a copy of the crow gimmick.

But actingwise he still pulls it off, and none on the TNA-roster could have done better. Though you can see he's an old dude - and before his most recent hiatus he was definiteley tired and missing steps - he's been decent in the ring since his return. I think Angle vs Sting could be a big surprise, in the sense that it could be a (last) great match for the Icon.

The sad part of it all is that whilst I'm defending Sting, I don't like the (whole) TNA-product, and do agree with your post. It's like WCW all over again: the same old guys screwing around without actually wrestling, whilst thinking they are the product and reason people tune in, whilst the main attraction has ten minutes at the start of the show and 1 ppv per year (which was handily the best of the year, and true competition for WWE, older male demographic)..
    As much as I liked Sting as crow, he lost a few steps in the ring compared to what he was in the 80s to mid 90s Sting. Needless to say, one could make the argument that facing Ric Flair, Vader, Steamboat, and the other great wrestlers he faced in his prime elevated his matches compared to WCW's horrible in-ring maineventers in the Bischoff era of WCW. Still, the point is Sting has been out of his prime for a while now and seeing him as an active wrestler is blushing out his flaws to the audience.

I don't watch Impact, but what I've seen of Joker Sting has been quite frankly laughable. Maybe if someone else did the gimmick, it would work, but Sting just isn't that guy. Back to the point - I don't mind legends in wrestling companies. In fact, a lot of times I dig it. It's fun seeing the guys you grew up watching on TV and they're still a household name, thus people might tune in to see them. However, you have to utlize them properly. Making legends managers, announcers, general managers, or have them wrestle once in a blue moon are the best way to use them. Properly booked, matches like Sting vs AJ Styles, Joe, or Angle could mean something if you did it once in a blue moon. TNA uses Sting as a regular wrestler, which makes him feel like just another wrestler on the roster and one that is completly out of his prime. Instead of saying oh boy, Sting is going to wrestle. People are now saying oh brother, Sting is wrestling again.

For instance, when Sting was about to sign with the WWE and face Undertaker at Wrestlemania, people were not saying how terrible the match is going to be because Sting is old and Undertaker can only put on great matches with people who are great. They were saying they wanted to see the match because it was a dream match that hadn't happened ever (bar from when they weren't stars). Epicness and drama - aka entertainment - can overcome bad wrestling. Hence the Rock vs. Hogan. They wrestled an average match at best, but due to the epicness of the match, it was very good match.

TNA doesn't know how to create those epic moments because they cannot book.
    Updated 07-31-2011 at 11:52 PM by Kyle Fitta
    What a well-written blog. I had alot of fun reading this bro. I definitely must agree 100% and you as well as @nrb6304 hit the nail on the head.

TNA fans had a chance to prove that we want the X-Division. The fans dropped the ball but now this will go straight to Biscoff's head. He will now continue to book Sting as his top draw which is a complete crime to the fans. I loved Sting in the 90s but unfortunately its 2011.

Thanks for the blog bro
    I said it before TNA DX that if people wanted to send TNA Wrestling a message that they needed to order this PPV and show everybody what they wanted. Unfortunately only a small amount of people did and now the people that are unhappy will STAY unhappy because they didn't do what they could.
    sad but true.
Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.