Blog Comments

Good blog, and not a bad idea. But the rosters are so razor thin with top stars, PPV sales would plummet. I think the PPVs themselves would have better actual wrestling matches, but it doesn't make sense business-wise.
    Isn't it also the case that at that point wwe had a whole audience group to pickup in the demise of wcw, the creation of a divided roster sort of filled in the two seperate companies void to a degree. I'm really fond of this period also, although I wasn't watching as avidly, the wwe had absolutely everyone who was anyone coming through their roster at the time and I think it had more freedom to have completely independent brands.

I think the current era is more about rebuilding, they've had a few things fall through (big upcoming guys that haven't lasted) in the past couple of years and I think blurrier distinctions between the brands might help to build it all up. I for one thought Mondays RAW (with both brands featuring) showed off a pretty exciting roster. perhaps another idea would be to completely re merge rosters allowing for another kind of build between ppv's. I think we're at a time not too dis similar to the early to mid nineties (my introduction to wwf!) where wcw started to build and lots of wwf talent jumped ship. it took them ten years to build to 2003-4 from that and look at the company then, full of modern legends! be interesting to see where things go from here..

great blog, nice facts and good to see someone praising such an era (it was almost like a best of album wasn't it?)
    If they did that, Smackdown PPVS actually would be the better than Raw. Smackdown has more going for it than Raw. The problem is they are lacking in star power.
    It won't work. The reason it worked back then was cause EVERYONE on the roster was involved in a storyline. From Akio (low card) to HHH (high card). The storylines today are recycled each year and are the same, there is nothing unique about them, also only the high card guys are in the storyline and that too only the wwe/world championship revolves around a storyline, the rest are just matches with no storyline or purpose accept 'im better than you, or i want to be champion' same old shit storyline.

You had:
    Tajiri vs Jamie Noble (nidia was blinded by tajiri and noble wanted to seek revenge)
    Kane vs Shane (kane was unstoppable and tomstoned a helpless old woman... could shane be the first guy to stop kane's dominating streak?)
    Angle vs Lesnar (Lesnar kayfabe put Angle out for months. Angle knows he is the best wrestler, but has never beaten Lesnar)
    Undertaker vs John Cena (this was all about cena running his mouth and not showing any respect for Undertaker, best feud on SD at the time)
    HHH vs Goldberg (you mentioned this one above)
    Eddie/Chavo vs Shelton/Haas (talked about this too)
    Dudleys vs La Resistance (Americans vs Ignorant French)
    Jericho vs HBK (this was about Jericho's boyhood dream)
    I am sure there are more feuds, but you get the point. Back then everyone was in a storyline. Today its not like that, this is why they stopped doing brand specific ppvs cause the creative team is not so creative.

The creative team SUCKS.
    Back then they had Vince Russo (who actually did a good job), Paul Heyman, Hayes and this other guy. Not to mention Austin would also give input along with HHH... and Vince McMahon was much more passionate about putting on an A+ show each night. It's not the case anymore.
    I agree with you. Having brand extension PPVs would be much better. It would also separate Raw from Smackdown. Back then, it was rare to see a RAW superstar come to Smackdown or vice versa.
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.