Blog Comments

Gotta agree with Crippler here. Everyone hangs on too long. Nobody wants to fade away. Why is Hogan such a focal point? Everyone wants Flair to come back and be GM or manage Ziggler, yet the man can't even talk anymore.

I'll admit Hogan is on TV way too much. And he is more known for his scandals and other things outside of wrestling, not so much his accomplishments in the industry. I've said in my own blogs that he seems to be turning TNA into his own personal Reality TV show, but like Dubs commented...if the company is going to pay him, why blame him for taking advantage?
    I'm for one who started watching wrestling from 91-92, I mean that's the time we had Cable networks popular in India...so I have missed the Hulkamania almost entirely..n when i started watching wrestling I used to feel Bret/Owen/Mr.Perfect/Davey Smith are real wrestlers n Hulk Hogan is a cartoon character for entertainment..I mean that's what I felt at that time...

So, my early impression of Hulk is a cartoon n then when he turned heel, it's not a huge deal for me because, I was never invested into his character...n Monday Night wars were not there in India..Raw was n is on Thursdays/Fridays (mostly Thursday) through out..n Nitro was in late hours on Saturday...

So, only through the hype given by the announcers n the online discussion with people like you, I have realised how BIG the Hulkamania is...

He for me is an over rated guy n I feel he's an old fellow who is stealing the spotlight from the young guys...I never wanted to see a HBK vs Hulk (but I loved HBK vs Ric Flair..I somehow love Ric Flair from his WCW days), I never liked Hulk going against Rock (I felt Rock will win because of his age..)

In TNA, the moment he came the actual stars liek AJ/Joe n others were side lined..I never appreciated his comments over Roode...I wish he stay more of back end guy as an ambassador to market the product nothing more than that..
    Updated 11-09-2012 at 11:54 PM by Sahu
    as for Hogan putting over people in WCW. I remember Hogan putting way more people over in WCW then he has ever in WWF. even in his 2000 era run in WWE. He put over Rowdy Piper which was sencless, The Giant, Lex Luger, Billy Kidman, Sting, Goldberg and several others which is wayyyyyyyyyyyy more than his WWF and WWE tenture.

Hogan was never a respected performer and the same things he did in 85 he did in 97 his performance never changed just are maturity.

Other thing about Hogan stepping aside in WCW. Hogan couldnt just step down. Hogan had to be the main event. See in Hogans contract it states that Hogan gets so much percentage of the PPV buyrate and ticket sales for a event. So either way every PPV Hogan would get main eventer pay. So in order for Hogan to say "Hey let another guy be the main event put me at the bottom of the card cause im too old and I suck" then he be losing a big chunk of money. and for WCW to pay Hogan so much money and not main event the show that means the main eventer would get bottom card pay. WCW wasnt gonna pay Hogan for being in the main event and have him be bottom of the card or not on the card..... Nash stated Hogans unique deal on a few Shoot interviews how it was literally impossible for them to book Hogan any other way cause of his contract and the amount of money he was given per PPV.... So something like that should be blamed on WCW. I mean who is gonna lose 100k or maybe a million just to be a nice guy. I wouldn't and im sure no one on this board would
    I dont get the point of this blog? Hulk Hogan tarnished his legacy? so what else is new, Its common in entertainment and prowrestling for that matter. Hogan was a star in the 80's why dont we go back and see all the mega stars in the 80's

Whitney Houston and Bobby Brown
    Became nothing more than a running gag.

Michael Jackson
    I dont think this needs to be explained.

Gary Busy
    Raving lunatic

Mickey Rourke
    Just look what he done to himself.

Corey Haim and Corey Feldman
    Both became a big weird mess and a hollywood laughing stock.

As for prowrestling. Please look at the stars at that time Jake Roberts, Honkey Tonk Man, Ultimate Warrior, Ric Flair, Iron Sheik and 90 percent of everyone from that time frame is a mess that you cant even hold a conversation with.

Hogan tarnished his legacy, Yeah maybe but thats like someone saying MR T tarnished his legacy. Hogan is nothing but a fade in pop culture. I dont think anyone really cares about the sex tape, Divorce, The odd Daughter relationship, The Nick Hogan accident or any of that, Its just another fucked up 80's has been.... Yeah Hogan has tarnished his legacy but so has a large portion of people from that era and 90% of the prowrestlers from that era have done far worse to their reputation.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Sneakiness
    The best blog series since State of the E, hands down.

I gotta agree completely with this blog, in the same breath a lot of what was said in here can apply to Ric Flair as well. If the both of them had decided to train themselves in something else to support them in later life then the respect from the fans would still be there. Or... stupidly enough they invested their money wisely same shit applies.
    Highly agree that some of these can apply to Flair, but the guy did a lot to put wrestlers over, and is a true ring general. I can respect him for all his work, but yes, he has made some bad decisions, I can't really put Flair down, it just doesn't feel cool to me
    Quote Originally Posted by kylos
    Yes Dubs, I see your points entirely... And Eric Bischoff has always been an issue in wrestling.. he may somewhat... grind my gears a bit... Anyway WCW was using Ted Turners money, and he gave them enough money to splash it on whatever they wanted. If Ted Turner was a bit more clued up, he would have done something about the crazy spending, but he just let it happen.
    Exactly. He should have controlled the company's finances instead of just letting things happen. It's ridiculous how much money they were blowing away just to "stick it" to Vince McMahon. WCW was making huge cash, especially in 1997 where Starrcade 97 did 1.8 million buyrates but nope, they even wasted away that money on big contracts with creative control rights.

I do agree that Hogan should have put people over though. There is no reason that Bret Hart vs Hulk Hogan for the WWE title shouldn't have happened. Hogan should have put Bret Hart over instead of stealing Bret Hart's spotlight at Wrestlemania 9 the way he did.
    The best blog series since State of the E, hands down.

I gotta agree completely with this blog, in the same breath a lot of what was said in here can apply to Ric Flair as well. If the both of them had decided to train themselves in something else to support them in later life then the respect from the fans would still be there. Or... stupidly enough they invested their money wisely same shit applies.
Page 14 of 27 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 24 ... LastLast

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.