Blog Comments

Your blog is appearing as if every one is considering Luger as the worst ever wrestler...I never read anything like that anywhere...as some one above said, he may not be a greatest wrestler but, undoubtedly he's a decent wrestler...you guys are talking about his popularity in wrestling's traditional places...I am telling you when we were kids , he is decently popular even in india...i started watching WCW only for Sting and luger....

Yes that is true!!

Luger's WWF career is not so great...but he's a very big player in WCW and is always a part of their main story....I do not know anything about Liz-Lex thing so I will not comment about it.. But as a performer, he never disappointed me....
    Quote Originally Posted by T-Hughes35
    Actually, according to "Controversy Creates Cash", the inception of 'The Monday Night Wars' didn't come from Bischoff, but actually from Ted Turner himself.

In the story, Bischoff was in a meeting with Turner about a proposal between WCW and a promotion in Japan (I believe), when Turner asked Bischoff what he believed WCW needed to do to go compete with the WWF. Bischoff replied by saying that the only way he believed would be to go head to head with them on Monday Nights.
    Turner then told his head Producer to incorporate a wrestling block Monday Nights on TNT, and the rest was history.

Keep in mind that the early success of WCW was also the blueprints of it's failure. Bischoff has spoken about this before in his autobiography and in an interview with Michael Landsberg that the moment he realized that WCW was in trouble was when Time Warner took over, not the AOL-Time Warner merger, but the original merger between Turner and Time-Warner.

If you haven't read Bischoff's autobiography, I suggest you do. It's a must read for every fan of Sports Entertainment. Other than that, this was a great read Crippler. Keep up the good work.
    No I actually have not read the Bischoff book but I have heard most the stuff in the book are fiction.... I was aware of the Turner story but it was Eric Bischoff who suggested they go live on Monday, Turner just gave the ok.

The story with Time Warner and Turner's corporation is that they wanted WCW gone from Turner sports. They didnt care about losing or making money, they thought wrestling was beneath them but no one could touch cause WCW was Ted Turners baby.... So I dont think Time Warner had anything to do with WCWs demise. Once AOL purchased Turners Majority stock Ted Turner was powerless to save WCW.

Does anyone know the contract Hogan signed with WCW? He had full creative control, 100%. Shows would be written and it wae shown to Hogan Monday morning and have to be rewritten on the spot cause Hogan didnt like it. Hulk also had a clause in his contract that he would get full PPV billing and a percentage from each PPV. So WCW had to book Hogan in the main event or high up in every PPV cause it was in his contract.... Alot of top guys had ridiculous things like that in their contract which made it impossible to book a show sometimes.
    Updated 09-01-2013 at 12:10 PM by THE_CRIPPLER
    Actually, according to "Controversy Creates Cash", the inception of 'The Monday Night Wars' didn't come from Bischoff, but actually from Ted Turner himself.

In the story, Bischoff was in a meeting with Turner about a proposal between WCW and a promotion in Japan (I believe), when Turner asked Bischoff what he believed WCW needed to do to go compete with the WWF. Bischoff replied by saying that the only way he believed would be to go head to head with them on Monday Nights.
    Turner then told his head Producer to incorporate a wrestling block Monday Nights on TNT, and the rest was history.

Keep in mind that the early success of WCW was also the blueprints of it's failure. Bischoff has spoken about this before in his autobiography and in an interview with Michael Landsberg that the moment he realized that WCW was in trouble was when Time Warner took over, not the AOL-Time Warner merger, but the original merger between Turner and Time-Warner.

If you haven't read Bischoff's autobiography, I suggest you do. It's a must read for every fan of Sports Entertainment. Other than that, this was a great read Crippler. Keep up the good work.
    Quote Originally Posted by DK Wrestling Savior
    One of the most exciting moments in wrestling history. Everyone sold that perfectly, from Tony Shiavani's call, to the ref's reaction when Hogan gave up. Plus, one of the loudest pops I've ever heard. I still youtube that video on days when I get sad about how poor wrestling is today compared to then.
    Plus his theme tune back then remains one of my all time faves, a cracking tune. It being WCW, im sure it was ripped off some chart song somewhere!
    Quote Originally Posted by tommytopographic
    Just watch his title win over Hogan on Nitro in 1997, the crowd go NUTS!
    One of the most exciting moments in wrestling history. Everyone sold that perfectly, from Tony Shiavani's call, to the ref's reaction when Hogan gave up. Plus, one of the loudest pops I've ever heard. I still youtube that video on days when I get sad about how poor wrestling is today compared to then.
    Question, how could anyone have a bad match with any member of the original of the Four Horsemen? Luger wasn't the greatest worker ever but he could never be dubbed the worst either. He learned his craft at the feet of true masters of the art of wrestling. None of us were there when Elizabeth passed away so I won't speak on it but Lex's career deserves to be recognized.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGreatOne
    I was agreeing with you til you basically the end of the blog. The closing paragraph actually even though you left some accomplishments off there. Yea, Eric made mistakes as did Vince and other great promoters like Paul Heyman among others. There was a lot more to it than just talent and money. Stuff he wanted to do at WCW couldn't be done. AOL took over, it was basically the end because the guys in suits and ties were trying to tell them what they should and shouldn't have on their tv program. That while Vince could do anything he want from DX crotch chops, Sable's well you know, among other things. It became such a pain where he was constantly arguing with top guys they asked him to take time off which is how Russo got in the picture. Eric eventually was asked to return after Russo didn't bring what he said he would to the table. The main problem to me wasn't the contracts or anything you pretty much mentioned even though they were issues. If you can't do what you want on a program and people who don't know wrestling is trying to tell you how to run it......no one, not even Vince McMahon could have made WCW survive.
    What you are saying isnt make much sense, Bischoff was was basically done when AOL merged with time warner. I think Bischoff was fired or let go from his high ranking position in 2000 and AOL merged with Time Warner in 2000.....As for the edgier product, Time Warner was known as a family company, Time Warner would not allow WCW to go the route of WWF. As a matter of fact Time Warner made all their employees sign a morality clause in each of their contract including WCW talent. So if they had done anything indecent while they were under contract they would be fired. I heard DDP say he almost got fired cause of Kimberly's nude spread in Playboy. So it wasn't AOL who had the problem going forward with a more gritty product it was Time Warner Sports...... As a matter of fact AOL didn't want WCW to go in any direction as soon as AOL had the majority Stock they were getting rid of WCW.

Also as far as I remember Eric Bischoff wanted to stay away from the mature content and it was Russo who actually wanted to push the envelope too far.

Eric Bischoff was too free with money and he was spending it like it wasn't his, cause IT WASN'T!.... Eric let main event talent manipulate him. Hogan, Nash, Savage and even Goldberg. When Eric was in charge and thinking outside the box he was doing a great job when he start getting a ego and hanging around the "Cool guys", thats when Eric just sort of lost his way.

But like I said before, No one is creative forever. Eric had his time and place in wrestling and he made his mark. I dont think Eric could of take WCW any further cause I think he was pretty much run dry creatively.
    Updated 08-31-2013 at 10:33 PM by THE_CRIPPLER
Page 2 of 147 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.