Blog Comments

Quote Originally Posted by delvec
    OK I have issues with the comments in here-
    Sting actually vowed to never work for Vince? When?
    Vince told him his gimmick would never go over and this was his gripe?
    Sting worked for WWE?

Where is this stuff coming from? This video?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktxW0vidElE
    First, I remember hearing that the guy that formed the Powerteam USA group trying to get them a deal but Sting wasnt Sting then, he was Flash. And Powerteam USA was a group of 4 very green guys, despite 2 of them becoming huge. (I really cant call Warrior great) But for Vince to say this is very hard considering Sting was kinda a mash of 2 of Vinces biggest draws- Hogans superhero surfer and Venice and UW facepainted maniac. Maybe, Vince said something like why would I need him since the gimmicks were already there.

Sting probably had 2 chances to goto WWF- Once right before he got big and once after the sale.
    This was right when Turner bought JCP and turned it into WCW they were looking for their marketable hero and here was Sting who just become a star. So when WCW became official, Sting was the face of the company and up north his old partner, UW was the face of the WWF. With a company owned by Ted Turner and youre the face, do you walk away? NO especially after all the other stars started leaving- Luger, Flair, Simmons etc. Then Turner started shelling out the bucks to bring back Flair, and then Hogan and then Macho Man- and then it was the dawn of the nWo and Sting was put on the shelf to build up the huge return to battle the evil Hogan (and the beginning of the Crow look) WCW was the #1 promotion and was drawing all the major stars and Sting once again was the top face.

But then it all came to an end when Vince purchased WCW. The main eventers- Flair, DDP, Luger, Nash, Goldberg and Sting all had guaranteed contracts. But the final Nitro, despite Vinces appearance was still in fact WCW as the sale had not been completed. All the main stars rode out their guaranteed contracts which is why Vince only had to midcarders when he started the Invasion angle. Their contracts were separate, I believe, and in order for them to work for Vince, the needed to accept a buyout and since most of them were up there in age, what sense would it make to accept a buyout to go back to working a full schedule in an overcrowded WWF?

By then Sting's was up which was the second chance to go and as he stated in the video above. He was afraid of how was gonna be used. He was used to the comfort zone of WCW and being the top guy but now suddenly had to start over? Aside from DDP and Goldberg, he was the only star at that time to not work for Vince but both of those guys didnt have as much time in the biz as Sting- so didnt have as much to lose. In that video, I didnt detect any distaste for Vince nor any vow to never work for him- in fact praised him. And Stings concerns were very legit.

I dont think Sting really blew it- as the face of WCW he was in a much different spot than everyone else. Keep in mind before WCW got huge- Sting was well known even in mainstream. Not WWF huge but pretty big. Sure Vince couldve made him a bigger star or he couldve just got lost in the shuffle. Once he turned down the offer after the sale, TNA was the best option. Like someone said- good pay and a much better schedule plus Im sure lots of creative control. You can not fault him.

As for now- sure hes back w/TNA but the skills arent there anymore. Sure it sucks we will probably never see Sting in WWE but would ya want him there just to say he was there- despite his declining skills? I dont- not just for us fans for for the legacy that he created.
    I Read on the web sites throughout the years that Sting got turned down, way before the Monday Night Wars, even Started. and since then he swore he would never even work for Vince. I even read on one of the sites about that rumor about the whole Sting name. I was always told the internet rumors are about 75% crap, and for some reason, on this issue i just didn't listen. My mistake.
    I saw on Ric flair's DVD that Flair told Sting over the years that he should go work for Vince, but Sting never did...He never stated why. Thank you for setting the record straight.
    "Rick starr blog splash"...nice
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Starr
    First off, that was about 10 years maybe even longer before he made the change. and he was in WCW, not the WWE. Vince would have never created that specific character, let alone the name "Sting". He wanted to remove the name, because he thought it would remind people of the other "Sting"...the musician. Years laters Ric Flair told Sting he should try to go and work for McMahon, but Sting never would. Do I think he should have tried? yes I do, but not at this point of his career.
    Sources? I've heard the interview where he said he wouldn't work for WWE, but not any of these specific details.

And delvec above has some great points, specifically the following...

First, I remember hearing that the guy that formed the Powerteam USA group trying to get them a deal but Sting wasnt Sting then, he was Flash. And Powerteam USA was a group of 4 very green guys, despite 2 of them becoming huge. (I really cant call Warrior great) But for Vince to say this is very hard considering Sting was kinda a mash of 2 of Vinces biggest draws- Hogans superhero surfer and Venice and UW facepainted maniac. Maybe, Vince said something like why would I need him since the gimmicks were already there.
    Though didn't Sting and Warrior broke up in 86 when Sting was in UWF while the Dingo Warrior appeared in WCCW?
    OK I have issues with the comments in here-
    Sting actually vowed to never work for Vince? When?
    Vince told him his gimmick would never go over and this was his gripe?
    Sting worked for WWE?

Where is this stuff coming from? This video?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktxW0vidElE

Sting probably had 2 chances to goto WWF- Once right before he got big and once after the sale.
    This was right when Turner bought JCP and turned it into WCW they were looking for their marketable hero and here was Sting who just become a star. So when WCW became official, Sting was the face of the company and up north his old partner, UW was the face of the WWF. With a company owned by Ted Turner and youre the face, do you walk away? NO especially after all the other stars started leaving- Luger, Flair, Simmons etc. Then Turner started shelling out the bucks to bring back Flair, and then Hogan and then Macho Man- and then it was the dawn of the nWo and Sting was put on the shelf to build up the huge return to battle the evil Hogan (and the beginning of the Crow look) WCW was the #1 promotion and was drawing all the major stars and Sting once again was the top face.

But then it all came to an end when Vince purchased WCW. The main eventers- Flair, DDP, Luger, Nash, Goldberg and Sting all had guaranteed contracts. But the final Nitro, despite Vinces appearance was still in fact WCW as the sale had not been completed. All the main stars rode out their guaranteed contracts which is why Vince only had to midcarders when he started the Invasion angle. Their contracts were separate, I believe, and in order for them to work for Vince, the needed to accept a buyout and since most of them were up there in age, what sense would it make to accept a buyout to go back to working a full schedule in an overcrowded WWF?

By then Sting's was up which was the second chance to go and as he stated in the video above. He was afraid of how was gonna be used. He was used to the comfort zone of WCW and being the top guy but now suddenly had to start over? Aside from DDP and Goldberg, he was the only star at that time to not work for Vince but both of those guys didnt have as much time in the biz as Sting- so didnt have as much to lose. In that video, I didnt detect any distaste for Vince nor any vow to never work for him- in fact praised him. And Stings concerns were very legit.

I dont think Sting really blew it- as the face of WCW he was in a much different spot than everyone else. Keep in mind before WCW got huge- Sting was well known even in mainstream. Not WWF huge but pretty big. Sure Vince couldve made him a bigger star or he couldve just got lost in the shuffle. Once he turned down the offer after the sale, TNA was the best option. Like someone said- good pay and a much better schedule plus Im sure lots of creative control. You can not fault him.

As for now- sure hes back w/TNA but the skills arent there anymore. Sure it sucks we will probably never see Sting in WWE but would ya want him there just to say he was there- despite his declining skills? I dont- not just for us fans for for the legacy that he created.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrestling_Deluxe_08
    First off, thank you for basing your blog off of my blog. Now for my response. No I was not dropped on my head. In fact, I think you know just as well as I do that Sting going to TNA was a bad move, financially and physically, and for you say it was a GREAT move -- especially when you include TNA bluntly ripping off 3-3-11 -- something is wrong with you.

By going to TNA, Sting made it that much harder for the younger talent to get over as main eventers because Russo The Retard will also feel the need to push him as a top star. You'd be crazy to even deny that, especially since he is NOW the TNA world champion and he JUST got back.

When you are people going to realize that WWE in 2002 is NOT the sane WWE right now in 2011. New stars, new creative team, and new environment. On top of that, an environment that suits Sting greatly. It is much less edgy and cleaner environment than the attitude, post-attitude era that Sting disliked back then. Here is another thing. Vince and Steve are on good terms so why in the world would the creative team 'bury' him? Do you know the difference between BURYING and building new stars? Losing a match does not always mean YOU GOT BURIED. Sting is like Chris Jericho. It does not matter HOW many matches he loses or who it is to, he will always looks strong and, as a result, the person he lost to will look strong.

Yes, I know Sting said 'he would never go to WWE' I saw the damn interview and I mentioned that in my blog. That was in 2002. This is 2011. As I said. New stars, new creative team, and new environment. It was understandable at the time because he did not want WWE to change his character, but now it is just ridiculous. There is no need to change his character, especially since his character in WCW has WAY too big of a history to even do that. I'm sure WWE would lend Sting a legends contract within in a second because of his history, which means a lighter schedule and matches here and there. Will he have to travel on the road once in a while? Okay. So? A few weeks or so away from his family is not going to kill him. In the big run, he gets a hall of fame ring, a dvd or two, makes new stars, and get his named mark in the history of WWE which means he will be remembered for GENERATIONS and not just this one generation of fans.

I'm sorry, but your analogy about WWE working him like a dog and give him the boot out of the door makes me laugh. You assume WWE is going to treat him like shit as if you see WWE as this evil company that mistreats its wrestlers. Yes, they have mistreated some in the past, but a huge majority of those people lacked qualities that a main eventer should have. Benjamin = mic skills. Charlie Haas = Charisma. Matt Hardy = The Look. Sting has all of those qualities down so I don't see WWE treating him wrong. Maybe you just see it that way because you just don't want him to go to WWE.

Thanks for the response though.
    Well I do agree with you on one thing, Russo is a retard, there is no getting around that. As far as Sting going to the WWE, I would have loved to see him go to the WWE....6 or 7 years ago. Even when WWE bought out WCW I was praying for Sting to goto the WWE, but it never happened. I didn't know at that time that he had a grudge with the WWE. But now, the WWE would not push him, the WWE does not push the older talent, especially talent they just signed. Taker, HHH, and Edge(who is a bit younger) have been with the company for years they have earned their spot. Sting, would literally have to start from the ground up, and with the WWE pushing the younger talent, it just wasn't happening at this stage of his career. That's my only point. I apologize for the dropping on your head comment it was inappropriate, but if you looked at it from a realistic point of view, Sting only has about a year left in his career, it's not worth leaving his comfort zone to be a stepping stone.
    Updated 02-28-2011 at 10:41 PM by Rick Starr
    First off, thank you for basing your blog off of my blog. Now for my response. No I was not dropped on my head. In fact, I think you know just as well as I do that Sting going to TNA was a bad move, financially and physically, and for you say it was a GREAT move -- especially when you include TNA bluntly ripping off 3-3-11 -- something is wrong with you.

By going to TNA, Sting made it that much harder for the younger talent to get over as main eventers because Russo The Retard will also feel the need to push him as a top star. You'd be crazy to even deny that, especially since he is NOW the TNA world champion and he JUST got back.

When you are people going to realize that WWE in 2002 is NOT the sane WWE right now in 2011. New stars, new creative team, and new environment. On top of that, an environment that suits Sting greatly. It is much less edgy and cleaner environment than the attitude, post-attitude era that Sting disliked back then. Here is another thing. Vince and Steve are on good terms so why in the world would the creative team 'bury' him? Do you know the difference between BURYING and building new stars? Losing a match does not always mean YOU GOT BURIED. Sting is like Chris Jericho. It does not matter HOW many matches he loses or who it is to, he will always looks strong and, as a result, the person he lost to will look strong.

Yes, I know Sting said 'he would never go to WWE' I saw the damn interview and I mentioned that in my blog. That was in 2002. This is 2011. As I said. New stars, new creative team, and new environment. It was understandable at the time because he did not want WWE to change his character, but now it is just ridiculous. There is no need to change his character, especially since his character in WCW has WAY too big of a history to even do that. I'm sure WWE would lend Sting a legends contract within in a second because of his history, which means a lighter schedule and matches here and there. Will he have to travel on the road once in a while? Okay. So? A few weeks or so away from his family is not going to kill him. In the big run, he gets a hall of fame ring, a dvd or two, makes new stars, and get his named mark in the history of WWE which means he will be remembered for GENERATIONS and not just this one generation of fans.

I'm sorry, but your analogy about WWE working him like a dog and give him the boot out of the door makes me laugh. You assume WWE is going to treat him like shit as if you see WWE as this evil company that mistreats its wrestlers. Yes, they have mistreated some in the past, but a huge majority of those people lacked qualities that a main eventer should have. Benjamin = mic skills. Charlie Haas = Charisma. Matt Hardy = The Look. Sting has all of those qualities down so I don't see WWE treating him wrong. Maybe you just see it that way because you just don't want him to go to WWE.

Thanks for the response though.
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnyvine
    Don't give me the garbage that Sting took Vince's advice about changing his gimmick he didn't.
    If Sting was just in it for the money , he surely would be in the WWE, but as we can see he's not and it isn't about the money.
    If it was he would just sign, lose to Taker get his ring, and rest comfortably, on the money coming in from all the dvd sales.
    Telling me that HHH loves the business ....yeah he loves the money he is making.
    Steve did what was best for him and his family and he is called a tool......
    LOL!!!! did you just listen to the garbage you spewed out. Your an idiot, you have no clue what wrestling is all about.
    Updated 02-28-2011 at 05:50 PM by Rick Starr

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.