Blog Comments

Good blog man, but in the analysis you are just pointing to the negatives, which is a good analogy of the negatives, but all the positives are left out.

Also, with out going too far into this, want to know why the Attitude Era was not overrated? Because everyone keeps bringing the damn subject. I mean there are lots of people who wants it to be back (which is a big mistake in my view) and some other like you want to point more to the parts of why it was not the best time. Trying to diminish its impact to the business as whole. Also Angle and Jericho were part of the attitude Era, the last part but they were, so where the Radicalz.

Your argument is like the one of people saying "Hogan could be replaced back then and anyone could take that role". Absolutely wrong, Hogan, as much as I dislike him, is a unique individual and no one could take that role and be like him, case and point? Lex Luger and The Ultimate Warrior.

Should the Attitude era last forever? No, like everything, it had its time and its time was great, but everything needs to evolve, is just the way life is.

Should it be brought back? No, see the statement above, case and point? TNA during past years, not right now, everyone have seen that and now something new has to come up.

People don't really realize that things has to progress, that is why someone like Cena is a constant but is not gathering more fans, He can claim he is himself and there are no heels or faces anymore on twitter, but he is a clear cut face and deep down he knows it and is nothing wrong with that, but he is. That is why when TNA relies to violence does not gathers more fans, all of us have seen or known about that before.

That is why someone like CM Punk is appealing right now, he is no Hogan, or Stone Cold by a long shot, he is different, is he the guy to carry all from now on? Only time will tell, maybe he is not and is just preparing the floor for someone else.

Why the Attitude Era should not get back? because its time has passed, you don't bring back dead because you never know what you are really bringing back, with out the stars that formed part of it, there is no Attitude Era, now it is time for something different, when will this come up, who knows but the Attitude Era was great and should stay Dead as it is right now.
    Updated 09-04-2011 at 11:40 PM by maar13
    Quote Originally Posted by The Brown One
    Then my friend you are a true wrestling fan. It seems to me that those who wanted quick title changes back in the Attitude Era didn't care about the wrestling, but the promos, and the violence. Like I've said before, great wrestlers don't single handedly make a title prestigious. Holding onto them for a long time does.
    Cheers for that, it's always good to find a like minded soul!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Wade Barrett 1979
    Actually no, because you felt it was an exclusive club! It gave those who did become champion, so much more prestige! It used to annoy me (and it still does) when the title didn't stay on anyone for long! It took the 'shine' so to speak, off someone's title reign! I suppose the difference also, was the build up used to be longer before someone got their shot at the main title, so when someone did win it, you appreciated them holding on to it for longer, as they worked so hard and for so long, to obtain it!!!
    Then my friend you are a true wrestling fan. It seems to me that those who wanted quick title changes back in the Attitude Era didn't care about the wrestling, but the promos, and the violence. Like I've said before, great wrestlers don't single handedly make a title prestigious. Holding onto them for a long time does.
    Quote Originally Posted by DUBS
    Actually, there were PLENTY of great wrestlers back then. I know what you mean when you say people overlook things in the Attitude Era but the Attitude Era is far from overrated. The Attitude Era made wrestling fun and entertaining instead of stiff and cheesy. Like I said, without the Attitude Era, we wouldn't have had the greats like Stone Cold, Mankind, and The Rock.
    The Attitude Era did make them famous worldwide, but I wish they would have stayed around for longer. I know it would take a toll on their bodies, but some on them just left the business - like The Rock. He did what he wanted, which is fine by all means, but he should have stayed for longer. However, I don't see how he would fit into the PG era either.
    That is also true. Its sad, but true. People did get easily bored with someone holding the title for more than 4 months, so there were frequent title changes. Did you get bored watching wrestlers hold the world titles for so long, pre Attitude Era?
    Actually no, because you felt it was an exclusive club! It gave those who did become champion, so much more prestige! It used to annoy me (and it still does) when the title didn't stay on anyone for long! It took the 'shine' so to speak, off someone's title reign! I suppose the difference also, was the build up used to be longer before someone got their shot at the main title, so when someone did win it, you appreciated them holding on to it for longer, as they worked so hard and for so long, to obtain it!!!
    Yes we did have many great matches in the AA, but whenever someone brings up the Attitude Era, they think of Stone Cold, The Rock, the swearing and the blood. There weren't many great wrestlers back then. The purpose of my blog was to bring up points that people seem to overlook when they remember the Attitude Era. One of these was the wrestling, where several matches were very short and didn't have much wrestling.
    Actually, there were PLENTY of great wrestlers back then. I know what you mean when you say people overlook things in the Attitude Era but the Attitude Era is far from overrated. The Attitude Era made wrestling fun and entertaining instead of stiff and cheesy. Like I said, without the Attitude Era, we wouldn't have had the greats like Stone Cold, Mankind, and The Rock.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wade Barrett 1979
    Interesting read, it does stir up a lot of debate!! I don't agree on all your aspects regarding the Attitude Era being over rated! I've been watching wrestling since '85 (God I feel old) and this still remains my favourite era, giving out some of my favourite ever wrestlers!! The one point where I feel most people who've responded to this blog, including yourself, are wrong is about title prestige!!! The title being handed about all over the place has de-valued it some what and this did begin with the Attitude Era, however, it wasn't anything to do with the writers or creative, it was to do with the watching audience and our changes in attitude to the way we watched tv!! We all had our attention spans reduced to that of a hyper active 5 year old and all became part of the instant gratification culture, that now pollutes most of the crap we get on tv!!! Therefore they had to change titles more often to keep us interested and that continues to this day!!
    That is also true. Its sad, but true. People did get easily bored with someone holding the title for more than 4 months, so there were frequent title changes. Did you get bored watching wrestlers hold the world titles for so long, pre Attitude Era?
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.