Blog Comments

Damn, I need to rewatch the Iron Man match lol. Anyway new blog coming tomorrow!
    Good read but I liked HBK vs Taker2 better, than the first.
    Quote Originally Posted by PhEonYx
    To quote "The Savior";

There was a lot of rest but remember, that's how wrestling was back then. There was the "testing each other out" start, followed by some "gaining control" moves, the middle would be full of wear down holds and reversals, then the end would be the big finish. That's how matches were structured back then.

And that is exactly why it's so hard to make comparisons between wrestling then and now. the Iron Man Match is probably the best match I've ever seen. But to watch it now, after watching so much wrestling today, it would seem slow and outdated.

Wrestling was actually about telling a structured back and forth story back. What may be considered "slow and boring" to others, was actually interesting and worth watching. The 60 minute Ironman Match does make my top 10 list of greatest matches. Not necessarily for the actual wrestling, but more so for the epic battle, and well put together story that two of the best E' competitors of ALL time showcased and told. Wrestling meant something back than. So before you throw it the words "sucked" or "over rated" when describing the first 60 minute Iron man match, think of the showcase these two put on.
    Honestly, that match was pretty dull. Not to say it was a bad match or anything but I think it gets way too much hype. You are indeed right that wrestling was about telling a story with rest holds and such but when you look at the match, it had so much rest-holds that I lost count. Not only that but the fact that Shawn Michaels was working on Bret's arm and Bret no-selling afterwards totally ruined the story-telling of the match. It's a pretty good match but not something that I'd consider a classic.
    Quote Originally Posted by A.C. Sativa
    That Ironman match sucked, easily the most overrated match of all time.
    To quote "The Savior";

There was a lot of rest but remember, that's how wrestling was back then. There was the "testing each other out" start, followed by some "gaining control" moves, the middle would be full of wear down holds and reversals, then the end would be the big finish. That's how matches were structured back then.

And that is exactly why it's so hard to make comparisons between wrestling then and now. the Iron Man Match is probably the best match I've ever seen. But to watch it now, after watching so much wrestling today, it would seem slow and outdated.

Wrestling was actually about telling a structured back and forth story back. What may be considered "slow and boring" to others, was actually interesting and worth watching. The 60 minute Ironman Match does make my top 10 list of greatest matches. Not necessarily for the actual wrestling, but more so for the epic battle, and well put together story that two of the best E' competitors of ALL time showcased and told. Wrestling meant something back than. So before you throw it the words "sucked" or "over rated" when describing the first 60 minute Iron man match, think of the showcase these two put on.
    That Ironman match sucked, easily the most overrated match of all time.
    Definitely enjoyed the list. However, like others, I, too, have to disagree with the Iron Man Match being #1. As I was scrolling down, I knew it would be, but compared to some of his others, it just doesn't measure up, in my opinion.

I saw someone say that the rest holds in that match were simply an example of how all the matches were back then, but I disagree. Perfect vs. Bret wasn't like that. Savage vs. Steamboat wasn't like that. Even Shawn vs Diesel wasn't like that. BUT, I understand why the Iron Man match had to have so many rest holds. If you're wrestling for an hour, it's hard to keep a non-stop pace. You HAVE to rest. So I get it. I just don't think it's his best match. Not even top 10, if I'm being honest.

All in all though, like TheGreatOne said, this is a solid list. I don't agree with all of it, but it is definitely a solid list, nonetheless. HBK vs Jericho, good match. Shawn vs. Taker (both of them that you mentioned) he and Razor, all of them, pretty much. HBK & Angle was good near the END. The beginning was a tad slow, in my opinion (though I haven't seen it in a long time) but I think that's because Shawn tried to show up Kurt with some amateur wrestling (which, I admit, I'm not a fan of. It's not as exciting as pro)
    Surely Badd Blood '97, Hell in a Cell has to be number 1? Not only because it was the first Hell in a Cell, and the quality of the match itself. It also introduced Kane who has become one of biggest superstars himself, and really started the feud with the Undertaker.

Just a few opinions of mine.
    Wrestlmania 17 Stone Cold & The Rock best ending to a Wrestlemania ever.
    And Sting is 'the icon'.
Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.