Blog Comments

Quote Originally Posted by TempestH
    Imo, there should not be a "second tier" World Title. The IC Title should be the "second tier" belt. WWE needs to decide who is a main eventer and who is a midcarder. No more going halfsies on it.

If you're goign to have your upper level talents stepping down the midcard, they need to be seamed into the midcard, not being booked as if they're above it.
    I totally agree
    I enjoyed the blog and hearing your point of view on how you would have the division set up. You make some valid points throughout and you idea seems like it could be easily implemented with the biggest boost being to the lower card guys, but you do have some flaws to it.

It was already pointed out that WWF takes more risks with their current stars than they ever did in the past (ejorbit pointed this out). They do so because they are trying to hotshot stars to a level out of necessity due to the fact that a lot of their "top tier" veterans are no longer able to be there and they need to fill this gap. They have been successful with several names transitioning into this role, but in the past 5-10 years, WWE has lost quite a few "top tier" guys (Edge, Angle, HHH, The Rock, Undertaker, HBK, Batista, Guerrero, Benoit, Hardy (both), JBL Anderson, Umaga, Lashley – all guys who were either top tier or were on their way to being on that level by now) who could fill in a feud with someone holding the WWE title. If we look at these guys who you are calling “established” top tier guys in the picture, you might not see someone like Punk or Bryan move in to contention for that title as quick as they did, even if we are removing Del Rio and Miz as possibilities. There is positive and negative to the formula they use currently but it is definitely a hit or miss situation.

That being said, an established pecking order for things would be quite helpful in knowing what direction things should be moving in. It also might help the WWE not to pull the trigger on such quick title switches. Sure it gives the “you never know what’s going to happen” feel to it when done right, but when doing it like the WB/Miz switch at Mania, it comes off as being a correction of a mistake for having given the win to Miz in the first place.

Final note – I respectfully disagree with you about this; WWF wasn’t always dominant over WCW. Most would point you to the rating for the MNW, but I am going to point you in a different direction and say look at the roster for both companies in 1993 (honestly through most of the 90’s). WWE and WCW both had their big names and over the top personalities (mixed with many excellent wrestlers) but I’d take a roster with names like Steamboat, Rick Rude, Steve Austin, Brian Pillman, William Regal, Arn Anderson, Ric Flair, Barry Windham, and even Mick Foley (seriously, I could continue) any day of the week. WCW might not have known how to properly utilize their talent to their fullest capabilities, but they always had a roster FULL of talent that could put on excellent matches when they were given TV time. Both companies had their silly and poor aspects to them, but I personally lean toward the company that showcases better wrestling matches and less “sport entertainment spectacular events” as the WWE has always seem to be about.
    Absolutely the best blog on the current WWE situation I have ever read. Well done!!
    Great blog. The problem is tho, that WWE wants to have most/all titles defended on each PPV, and since they wanna have their top 10-12 guys on each PPV, + few random midcarders, they need to put the midcard belts on random ppl. And thats why pecking order sucks. Thats why they dont create new STARS! Look at Halloween Havoc 97 - Rey Mysterio vs Eddie Guererro! This is how you make new stars! And in a match for Cruiserweight title! That was like what in WCW? Rising midcarders title?
    It doesn't help that there are 3 tiers but 4 titles. I like keeping the WHC around but I think the US title should go.
    Imo, there should not be a "second tier" World Title. The IC Title should be the "second tier" belt. WWE needs to decide who is a main eventer and who is a midcarder. No more going halfsies on it.

If you're goign to have your upper level talents stepping down the midcard, they need to be seamed into the midcard, not being booked as if they're above it.
    I think minor overlap is ok between the US/iC titles and between the WWE/WHC titles, although too much can hurt. The recent WHC picture has been terrible, but some of that is due to injuries and arrests. Barrett and Cesaro's bookings really hurt those 2 titles, but Axel seems to be restoring prestige to the IC title, Dean has made the US title more interesting, and the tag division is making a big comeback.

I think the WWE title picture is fine right now, but the WHC needs the most improvement. I hate to say this, but ADR is only experiencing massive amounts of success in order to appease the growing Hispanic demographic in WWE, which sucks bc there is so much Hispanic talent in the wrestling world. I do not think that he deserves all of those title reigns. I could write 100 pages on his topic as its probably the biggest issue in WWE right now. Hopefully they'll get their shit together soon.
Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.