Blog Comments

It did happen. Bret went on to be the highest paid wrestler in history at the time and won every fan sympathy. Shawn went on to be perhaps one of, if not, the greatest wrestler of his time. Vince became a billionaire. Nothing bad happened from the screw job..unless you consider any of this to be "bad"
    Quote Originally Posted by Sahu
    that was scripted....I feel like the original idea is to bring back Bret to WWF n have one epic feud with VKM or HBK or HHH or all 3 of them...

But, Owen's death had hurt Bret so much n he was never the same after that...plus his career got ended abruptly...otherwise we might have seen a return of Bret to WWF for a feud with all those involved in the feud...

I guess all the ppl involved have taken a blood oath not to reveal it....

All the bitterness of Bret is because of Owen's death and ending of his own career abruptly....

Whatever it is, irrespective of MSJ Bret is my all time favorite...
    If that was a swerve (all parties knew) then Bret has to be the dumbest man alive or he's still getting paid by WWE to keep that under wraps and continue to play stoopid to the "I had no idea it was going to happen" role.

Interesting idea that it was a work, but to much of a risk in the "What if" component about Bret's stay in WCW
    Nice Article. However, if I were in Vinny Mac's position, I would have done the same thing. There's no way you could have trusted Bret Hart to show up the next night on RAW to vacate the title.

If Bret was such a traditionalist and was all about the business as he has claimed, then he knows that the time honored tradition is the outgoing champ does the job. Not only does he do the job, he does it CLEAN. Middle of the ring. 1 2 3.

If the MSJ never happened, Bret takes the belt to WCW and trashes it just like Madusa did with the Womens belt. Ric Flair also took the NWA/WCW belt to WWF when he went there as well in the early 90's.

With the way WCW was stomping WWF in the ratings, Vince could not take the chance that their Strap showed up on Nitro the way the NWA/WCW Strap showed up on WWF programing.

The title is great, but the true story lies in "Why The Montreal Screw Job HAD TO HAPPEN"
    Without the Montreal Screwjob, Vince never becomes the villain that later defined the Attitude era, possibly never revealing himself or at least revealing himself much later as owner of the company. It was Bret calling out Vince that led to the Evil Vince character.

So While you blog is excellently written I must confess to disagreeing with your summation.
    that was scripted....I feel like the original idea is to bring back Bret to WWF n have one epic feud with VKM or HBK or HHH or all 3 of them...

But, Owen's death had hurt Bret so much n he was never the same after that...plus his career got ended abruptly...otherwise we might have seen a return of Bret to WWF for a feud with all those involved in the feud...

I guess all the ppl involved have taken a blood oath not to reveal it....

All the bitterness of Bret is because of Owen's death and ending of his own career abruptly....

Whatever it is, irrespective of MSJ Bret is my all time favorite...
    Another "what if" blog I've always thought about is what if Owen didn't hurt Austin's neck. I mean I've watched his matches before the incident and he moves a lot quicker compared to after, so his in ring ability would have been better and he wouldn't have had to take the time off in late '99 to late '00 and would have continued wrestling past '03.
    Thanks for the responce. Regarding the deaths of the Bulldog and Owen, I think Daveys death wasn't totally attributed to the painkillers but the steroids that he abused. Weather or not the painkiller addiction would have delayed his death or prevented that then we'll never know.
    As for Owen, it all depends if the Blue Blazer angle still goes ahead. Granted if time rolls differently then its very possible this storyline never comes up. Its a chilling thought and to be honest I've been a bit uneasy at suggesting a change here or there could have saved his life.

Regarding the lives of these two men, then yes, its possible it was effected by the MSJ but regarding the Monday night War and the eventually monolopy WWE now has, then I don't believe there was an impact.
    Updated 10-30-2012 at 04:05 AM by Michael Burnside
Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.