Blog Comments

One of my all time favourie angle, but I'd have booked it different.
    I'd have The Allience also includeThe Steiner Brothers, Rey Mysterio, Goldberg, Nash, X-Pac, Spike Dudley, Tajiri, Bigshow, Jericho, Earnest Miller, Farrooq, Eric Bischoff and Ric Flair.
    I'd have kept WCW on the air instead of folding it.
    I'm gutted on how the WWF handled this. Almost as bad as how WWF handled the nWo angle!
    It's a shame all the wresters who could have made this amazing are all too old to pull this angle off now
    Thanks for taking my title!
    I think your Blog was very short and didn't really cover much of the angle but your complaints are very valid but what alot of people don't know is that it wasn't The WWE's fault. I'm not saying The WWE wouldn't mess it up anyway but The WWE purchased WCW under very short notice and they already had alot of storylines in progress. Also The WWE's plan was to Run Nitro and WCW as a totally separate company but the problem is The contract WWE signed with USA network says that WWE can not put other New WWE programing on a different network, So they could not put there WCW programing on a different cable network cause WWE programing was exclusive to USA and all their sister networks and USA/NBC was not interested in putting another prime time wrestling show... Then the Next plan was to change Smackdown to Nitro and pretend WCW bought WCWs time sloth on UPN or what ever network they were on but UPN said that the WWE signed a contract to put WWE programing on their network and they didn't approve the brand change and they were worried about not having key names on their show such as Steve Austin, The Rock, Undertaker and Kane..... So it was impossible for WWE to go thru with the Original plans of making WCW its own separate brand and running WCW House shows and TV shows.

Now on the talent... at the time in 2001, WCWs talent were well past their prime and WCW booking destroyed their impact. Guys like Hogan who was good for a few nostalgic matches and moments, Flair who was in terrible shape and wouldn't be much of a in ring player against guys like Taker, Rock, HHH and Austin.... Plus most of WCW had huge guaranteed contracts, So Guys like Nash, Hogan, Goldberg, Sting were getting 3 to 5 million dollars a year to sit at home and do nothing. So why would they come to WWE and work 200 days a year for half of that money?..... Guys like Flair and Mysterio were also getting half a million or a million a year to sit at home so WWE didnt think it was worth buying their contracts considering WCW talent worked alot less dates then WWE, So additional dates would have to be negotiated.

So the Reason the WCW invasion Angle didn't work is cause of many factors that were out of the WWE's hands.... WWE didnt plan on buying WCW it kinda fell in their lap and they were in the middle of many huge storylines, Wrestlemania 17, Austin vs Rock, Austins heel turn, HHH and Austins teaming and eventual feud. So when HHH got injured they pulled the trigger on the half ass invasion Angle.
    Updated 05-12-2012 at 02:11 PM by THE_CRIPPLER
    I Loved The Invasion Angle, But I Think They Could've Done It Better. Vince Should've Kept Nitro & Thunder Runing, And Kept The PPV. He Would've Double His Money. They Could've Kept Some Of The Wcw Stars And Have Them Compete With The One's He Did Keeep Against WWE, It would've Been Better As Well If Triplel H, Chris Benoit & Others Didn't Get Injured When They Did.
    Great read. I always thought the Invasion angle was doomed once it was announced that Shane and Stephanie Mcmahon were the owners of The Alliance (WCW and ECW). At the end of the day, this was more about Vince vs his kids than an actual invasion of WCW and ECW. That's pretty much why it was considered a flop of an angle. I'll admit, as a mark for the shows, I loved the Invasion angle but looking back at the shows, it was a disappointment for sure.

If WWE would have just waited until 2002 once they had Triple H, Ric Flair, Eddie Guerrero, Chris Benoit, and the NWO to start the Invasion angle, than the Invasion angle would have been big but since they didn'thave those guys, all we got was a watered down WCW/ECW vs WWE storyline which had WWE dominating for the most part.
    Good blog. I believe they should have kept the buying of WCW a secret for longer and when the stars from each show started appearing on the other show it would have given it more of an invasion feel.
    Coincidence that i talked about this in WBC...but yh completely agree with you, good blog
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.