Blog Comments

It got ruined by the fans because they never accepted this big Caucasian fella using a Japanese gimmick. If Matt had come back under a different gimmick other than Tensai; one that the fans could relate to a bit easier, things might have worked. I don't really mind when a guy is repackaged, this has been happening since I began watching wrestling back in 1990. I mean, Bray Wyatt got the "Husky Harris" chants, but it hasn't really hurt his push has it? Ryback got the "Goldberg" chants because no matter what anyone says, the Ryback gimmick was almost identical to the one that Big Bill used to great effect in his WCW days.

Back to Matt Bloom. His A-Train gimmick was the best he's ever had IMO, and I wholeheartedly feel it could have worked in this day and age. Having him return after 9 or so years and saying he's been plying his trade in Japan, where he dominated the competition, would have worked better than having A-Train return as a guy who spent some years in Japan and now wants to act like a Japanese guy. To me, and a lot of my friends, it was a joke. There's also the fact that if the gimmick was any cop, it would have been demoted after being rejected by the fans, but stayed the same until he worked his way back up the card. But it didn't stick and now he's Sweet freaking T.

I definitely stand by my statement that that particular gimmick was doomed from the start, and that has nothing to do with the fact that it was a gimmick. I love gimmicks for wrestlers. Having a guy wrestle under his "real name" should almost be a gimmick in itself, not the norm as its become.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kashdinero
    I think it's the fact that WWE chooses to repackage guys without ever acknowledging their past. We fans don't forget easily as WWE blindly wants us to, and chants such as the ones being referred to are out way of letting WWE know that. As for Tensai. Sorry, but that gimmick was doomed from the start. Even fans who had not heard of A-Train would have had trouble accepting that abomination in a main event spot. It wasn't the fans fault that Tensai bombed, it was whoever decided that A-Train wasn't good enough of a gimmick upon Matt Bloom's return.
    I agree, with the A-Train thing only. He could have returned as A-Train. But... he didn't. They did acknowledge that he wrestled in the wwe before, but it isn't like when The Iron Sheik became colonel Mustapha (or Gen. Adnan, one of them), they weren't covering up a significant player in their industry. Albert only held the IC title once as a transitional champion, he was important at the time as A-Train but he wasn't anything super special. WWE repackage guys all the time, Tugboat just became Typhoon and that was just that, One Man Gang became Akeem suddenly, Tito Santana became El Matador, and I don't think the gimmick failed because of them repackaging him, it just failed because it was a poor gimmick. So this has happened all the time, and always will.

The thing that it takes to enjoy yourself as a wrestling fan and the reason wwe caters in these ways is simple: It is asking you to "suspend your disbelief". that's what it takes to be a fan, and enjoy it. It's the one element that has made it the commodity it is today. Acknowledge past if it's time for it, of course, but Tensai is a whole new character we are supposed to suspend our disbelief in. It's not the same as Michael Cole telling us that we watched the best match ever and expecting us to totally buy into it and forget about the other bunch of times they've said that. It's a whole new character, that they have made sure not to promote as an old character, because it's an entirely new character. It happens in Hollywood too, an actor/actress is great in a role they have and they get typecast. But this isn't really like that, this is this guy playing a new role and it's just a few dickheads shouting "AALLLLLBERT" and not letting him find his feet.

I fail to see how Tensai was "doomed from the start" by the way. How can you gauge such an absolute? This is the era of gimmicks returning and A-Train was not much of a gimmick, the whole thing was "I'm Albert and now I'm serious". Everyone knew he was Albert, they never tried to hide that fact in any way. Alot of us fans knew he was Albert, but the kids didn't know who Albert was. It's pretty pathetic, having to show kids so obnoxiously that we know who he really is. A subtle "yeah he used to wrestle as a guy called A-Train" would have sufficed, not obnoxiously mocking him for having a different gimmick in the past. Maybe they should have said "Tensai used to perform as A-Train back in 2003" but aside from that they didn't really do anything wrong, it was people just showing how big and clever they were and then using an excuse of "they brought it on themselves" or "it was doomed from the start" to cover the fact that they ruined the gimmick, and thus, the entertainment value that could have been attained from that gimmick. If it fails, fine, but it got ruined by the fans and no one else.
    Updated 10-13-2013 at 12:09 PM by Earthquake
    Quote Originally Posted by Kajmere
    It is definitely bs that the fans had to ruin Ryback's and Tensai's gimmicks with their dumb chants. Ryback managed to bounce back (and let's face it, having fans chant one of the all time greats' name won't necessarily kill you), but unfortunately, they may have ruined Matt Bloom's final WWE run. I also liked the Tensai gimmick a lot, he was main eventing Raw and everything. I don't think he would've won a world title or anything, but still disappointing.
    Totally agree, not a proper main eventer, but good gimmick and an a seasoned vet.
    Excellent blog Earthquake. Completely loved it and agree with almost everything you said
    I think it's the fact that WWE chooses to repackage guys without ever acknowledging their past. We fans don't forget easily as WWE blindly wants us to, and chants such as the ones being referred to are out way of letting WWE know that. As for Tensai. Sorry, but that gimmick was doomed from the start. Even fans who had not heard of A-Train would have had trouble accepting that abomination in a main event spot. It wasn't the fans fault that Tensai bombed, it was whoever decided that A-Train wasn't good enough of a gimmick upon Matt Bloom's return.
    It is definitely bs that the fans had to ruin Ryback's and Tensai's gimmicks with their dumb chants. Ryback managed to bounce back (and let's face it, having fans chant one of the all time greats' name won't necessarily kill you), but unfortunately, they may have ruined Matt Bloom's final WWE run. I also liked the Tensai gimmick a lot, he was main eventing Raw and everything. I don't think he would've won a world title or anything, but still disappointing.
    Updated 10-12-2013 at 11:25 PM by Kajmere
    Guess I inspired some things haha! Good blog my dude. A couple spacing issues but other than that, very good. :)
Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 12345 13 ... LastLast

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.