PDA

View Full Version : Old men in TNA

nrb6304
10-09-2010, 09:23 PM
Everybody keeps on bitching and complaining about the "older guys" in TNA, so I thought I'd take a look at the "offical" TNA roster and look at all the "elders" and decide whether or not they can still contribute to TNA in the ring or outside the ring.

Hulk Hogan- Simply put? NO Hulk Hogan has not had a good match in 5 years, and to be quite honest if it wasn't against HBK it would've sucked as well. Hulk can still SOMEWHAT contribute out of the ring, but not by much. Hulk has NEVER gotten with the times. He's always been stuck in his 1980's mentality. So IMO Hogan=dead weight

Jeff Jarrett- The founder of TNA? YES Is he the greatest in the ring? Not really, but at his age he's still pretty damn good and I think can still hold his own. He has no problem putting over talent in the ring and has CLEARLY taken a back seat in the last 6 years. In fact in 2005 JJ was in the main event of 9 PPV's. In 2007 he was INVOLVED in 3. He main evented I think one which was Lockdown. JJ hasn't held the TNA title since Bound For Glory 2006. JJ has wisely stepped aside and made his point in TNA to make the younger guys the focus. So IMO Jeff can stay

Kevin Nash- Big Sexy? Before I give you my thoughts on Big Kev (SPOILER FREE) let me say this: Go watch a Big Diesel match from 1996-97 (NOT AGAINST HBK) then go watch one of Kevin's matches from late WCW or his WWE run in 2004. Then finally a Kevin Nash match from TNA 2006-2010. Big Kev's style has NEVER changed, he's always centered his matches around his few moves. NOW, to me Kevin Nash isn't HORRIBLE in the ring, he can still move, still bump, sell, AND clearly has been working for the longest time to get Samoa Joe put over. Hell I remember for a while Nash was quite entertaining with Austin Starr (Aeries) and Alex Shelley. To me Kevin Nash is still golden in the ring, and has the right focus which should be: MAKE THE YOUNG GUYS STARS. So IMO Kevin can stay

Kurt Angle- The Olympic Gold Medalist? I shouldn't even have to explain myself here. Since the day Angle stepped into TNA he has been in the main event of the majority of PPV's. His matches are completly amazing and he is easily becoming the HBK of TNA. Why? If Angle lost to let's say...Kazarian, not only would you think Kaz is the shit for beating Angle, BUT you wouldn't think Angle was a loser for losing. My only negative with Angle? TNA's BIGGEST PPV of the year has Angle in the main event, and to me, I think that this is NOT beneficial. AJ Styles, Kaz, Joe, Anderson, Beer Money, MCMG, THEY should be in the main event. NOT Kurt Angle. So IMO Kurt Angle can stay but move out of the spotlight a little. HBK was marquee 2 Wrestlemania's in a row WITH THE SAME OPPONENT without a title.

Raven- The troubled man? Raven is still one of the best on the microphones, and like Kevin Nash he too has NEVER changed his in ring style since his debut in the late 80's early 90's. I know that his current time in TNA is soon to be ended and IMO that's ok. Raven's time has passed and even though I am a HUGE Raven mark, I must say Raven....you gotta go.

Rhino- The man beast? Rhino was NWA-TNA World Champ. Anybody remember that? Had 3 killer matches in 1 night at Bound For Glory 2005. Anybody? Anybody? Guess not. Again like Raven, his time with TNA seems like it will end after Bound For Glory, and to me he has been floating in the waters a little too long. Rhino hasn't had me hooked to him since his feud with Christian Cage that culminated at Bound For Glory 2006. I don't count MEM/Front Line cause he was HARDLY in that. So IMO Rhino buddy you gotta go too.

Ric Flair- The wrestling God? Flair is still by far one of the most entertaining people in this crazy buisness today. And while I did enjoy his blood bath with Mick Foley on the LIVE Impact 10/7/10 I think that Flair's time in the ring is over, and I can live without seeing him fight again. His role in Fortune is perfect for him right now, and the occasional in ring appearance is ok with me. As long as Flair can guide these younger guys into be perfect IMO Flair can stay

Mick Foley- The Hardcore Legend? Foley claims to have been retired since 2000. Ten years ago. It seems like yesterday he was in MSG with Triple H for the WWF title. Foley has always kept me entertained and to me his angle as commissioner of TNA was great! His matches with Abyss fulfilled my hardcore fantasy. And now he poses as the......manager of EV 2.0. To be frank Foley's time has passed. Though he is still as good as he was in 1999, to me Foley doesn't do it anymore. So IMO Mick Foley....gotta go.

RVD- The Whole F**king Show? You may not realize this but RVD is 40 years old, and is a 20 year vet of the wrestling biz. His matches in ECW have become legendary. His matches in WWE made him an international star. And his time with TNA has proven to be just as great. RVD has yet to lose a step in 20 years. My only problem with RVD is the same with Kurt Angle. There's no need for him to be in the main event. TNA already blew AJ/RVD but I would not complain about seeing it again. I just think AJ should've gone over instead of RVD. So IMO RVD can stay but step aside and let AJ and Joe reign.

Sabu- The human highlight reel? See Raven and Rhino. IMO Sabu you gotta go.

Tommy Dreamer- The Innovater of Violence? If Dreamer can stay out of the ring OR enter a long bloody feud with Abyss then IMO Dreamer can stay. IF NOT Dreamer....you gotta go.

Steven Richards- The underrated talent? That's what Stevie is. UNDERRATED, but unfortunately his time has passed. This guy has got loads more talent then some of the before mentioned. Stevie should have made it further in the wrestling buisness then he did and that's sad, but time will never turn back, and sorry Stevie IMO you gotta go.

SO IN SHORT

StayAngle,RVD,Flair,Dreamer,Jarret, Nash
GoSabu,Rhino,Foley,Stevie
Get the hell outHulk Hogan

Agree or disagree

wallyman
10-09-2010, 09:41 PM
u right all those men are old...but its not like they are all over the show hogan is an authority figure and all the others will be gone after that ev2 angles has played...on the other hand look at tna champions all under 30 look at wwe kane and taker are figthing for the title and wwe championshio is always between the same people...look at the roster again b4 u speak and hate jack ass...all this names most of em are legends and u need legends to stablish ur company so yeah....:) bit that sucka

paul.lima34
10-09-2010, 09:46 PM
Too long for me to read,
end of the Day if a promotion has well known Wrestlers who are past their prime they will still Draw more than any of the younger talent!
what happens when an older legend puts over a younger talent .. nothing! Jay lethal can beat Rick Flair a 100 times but jay lethal would
still be jay lethal an Rick flair would still be a legend and the main draw!

instead of sabu,dreamer,raven who ya gonna wanna watch?? who else is there ..
stars cannot be made over night ,wwe is proving this with the Huge Gamble they have made

Necroyeti
10-09-2010, 09:49 PM
Hulk Hogan has not had a good match in 30+ years
Fixed that for ya.

But really, I don't actually mind any of these old guys at all, but there is way too much focus on them lately. Something's gotta change creatively, and I mean real change, not like some silly "they" gimmick.

Fun (probably unimportant) factoid: the last TNA PPV poster to feature a TNA original, as opposed to only established ECW/WCW/WWE wrestlers, was Lockdown from April (But, if you count AJ Styles' briefest of runs in WCW and WWE, then Destination X is the only one since the Hogan/Bischoff regime began)

brad9993
10-09-2010, 09:58 PM
The thing is people bash TNA for using old guys yet ask yourself if they where in the WWE they would still use them in matches. Correct me if i am wrong but Ric left the WWE on his own tersm and if he was still there he woul dbe wrestling and no one would think twice, thing is he is in great shape.

nrb6304
10-09-2010, 10:02 PM
u right all those men are old...but its not like they are all over the show hogan is an authority figure and all the others will be gone after that ev2 angles has played...on the other hand look at tna champions all under 30 look at wwe kane and taker are figthing for the title and wwe championshio is always between the same people...look at the roster again b4 u speak and hate jack ass...all this names most of em are legends and u need legends to stablish ur company so yeah....:) bit that sucka

1. I wasn't hatin on anybody.
DID ANYBODY ELSE READ HATE ON MY POST? (Besides Hogan)
2. dude have you been watching TNA at all? They are all OVER the show.There are only 2 matches with guys who have never been in WWE on BFG
3. I understand you need legends that's why I said keep Nash, Dreamer, Jarrett, Angle.

Dameduse823
10-09-2010, 10:06 PM
I think your right about everyone except for Raven, its true his in ring career is coming to an end but I think if they get their stories right then Raven can pick up a spot similar to Flairs spot with Fortune. They their it a while back with seretonin which was a good group but tna didn't give it enough attention because they just wanted to speed through to making Kaz the hero.

Raven has a long history of leading awesome factions with a dark nature to them which is something that very few groups have been able to pull off

cetotheizzo
10-09-2010, 10:13 PM
i agree with Necroyeti, there is just to much focus on the old guys. TNA can have all the old guys they want but the old guys won't be around forever, they need to start planing ahead when the old guys are not around anymore.

merhardt03
10-09-2010, 10:14 PM
It is good to have older established talent but it was said well that they have been all over the show. but as was also said if they were all still in WWE they would be wrestling n no one would think twice.... Take it for what its worth.

IPEEINTHESHOWER
10-09-2010, 10:23 PM
Please allow me to give my infinite wisdom on this matter. As for you saying Hogan get the hell out, you must have lost your mind. FYI the only reason TNA's ratings have gone up is because of his star power. Pro rasslin without Hogan is simply not pro rasslin. WORD. As for you saying Foley doesnt do it anymore maybe your vision needs to be corrected. He is all heart and not only has he but he will still put his body on the line for your viewing pleasure. I'm sure you will agree AJ Styles is one of the best wrestlers in the world but you know what he is lacking--------charisma and star power. RVD and Kurt Angle not only have them both but they are filled up to their eyeballs with it. That my friend is why TNA keeps them in the main event. I've watched rasslin for a long long time and you saying Kevin Nash and entertaining in the same sentence is mind blowing to me. It amazes me to this day how long his one leg non wrestling ability arse has stayed in the business. Im glad he has one working leg so he can push the gas pedal on his 18 wheeler wal-mart truck down the freeway and unload at their many stores around the country. As for Double J, " That's J, E, double F, J, A, double R, E , double T... I'm double J, Jeff Jarrett!. " ; " I'm the world's greatest wrestler, the world's greatest singer, the world's greatest entertainer. " No one has ever and i mean EVER bought a ticket to go see him. Instead of breaking all those guitars, he should save that money, he's going to need it. I've had guinea pigs more talented than him and my guinea pig died from chewing on an electrical cord. As for Rhino/Richards/Dreamer/Raven all of their pictures should be in the dictionary under ham & eggers. U MAD???

paul.lima34
10-09-2010, 10:29 PM
LOL why do you think you havent seen an Ultimate X match in ages??
low ratings during the segments.. wwe/tna DO not have any up an comming stars on there rosters!
(wwe may have something good with alberto del rio an maybe Robert Rude from TNA)

Kevins nash has left tna, tommorow will be his Last match!
(check his twitter)

Robstar
10-09-2010, 11:19 PM
I don't think there was any TNA hate there. If you feel defensive when someone logically disects the roster then you must not have a lot of faith in the product. It should be able to stand up under scrutiny. I'm tired of people crying when someone takes issue with TNA yet have plenty negative to say about WWE. Works both ways you know.

brad9993
10-10-2010, 12:00 AM
LOL why do you think you havent seen an Ultimate X match in ages??
low ratings during the segments.. wwe/tna DO not have any up an comming stars on there rosters!
(wwe may have something good with alberto del rio an maybe Robert Rude from TNA)

Kevins nash has left tna, tommorow will be his Last match!
(check his twitter)

I beleive nash was working in character but thats just me, i guess we will see in time.

Withey73
10-10-2010, 01:02 PM
Foley is God. He must stay. he is one of the main reasons i watch TNA

wrestlingfan316
10-10-2010, 05:11 PM
I disagree. I think Hogan should stay in the position he is now but they should bring Heyman in too because it seems Hogan and "Easy E" need a little guidance but with all of their input I think they could eventually create a rival(or at leas an ewually popular alternative) to the WWE(if all 3 could ever co-exist together.) I would also keep Raven and Stevie. I would like to see Raven lead another stable and Stevie can put on some great matches even if they never give him a championship.

AGEOFFALL
10-11-2010, 02:39 AM
Wrestling is no country for old men.