PDA

View Full Version : Promo Cutting: Who is good? Who needs work?

the_captain
08-16-2010, 05:02 PM
I am obviously a huge Miz mark. But I honestly believe he is the best at cutting a promo in the WWE right now.

Wade Barrett is also quite excellent. CM Punk as well. Jericho.

Worst goes to Yoshi Tatsu, since the poor guy isn't supposed to speak English on screen. As for who is allowed to speak, I cringe every time Kane talks. I know he's supposed to be a monster, but it seems so forced. Swagger, he's mostly got rid of the lisp but he's also one who it just sounds really forced. The one promo with Kane accusing Swagger of being 'Taker's attacker was just painful.

Is it just me, or do they make the people who cut promos the best the heels?

Bodom
08-16-2010, 05:11 PM
Agree with you on Kane. Although I think Kane's done his best promo work of his entire career.

ehh it's a yes and no. Cutting a heel promo is a lot easier than a face promo. It's far easier to make a crowd hate you than to like you.

the_captain
08-16-2010, 05:13 PM
Lately, Kane has been much better. But I still get that undertone of "I'm supposed to be acting like a big mean jerk right now! Roaaarrr."

Bodom
08-16-2010, 05:19 PM
HA!

Although I think it's more mentally unstable psychotic than a jerk

SgtGohan
08-16-2010, 05:25 PM
imo the best atm are miz, punk, jericho, edge and cena

the_captain
08-16-2010, 05:26 PM
I like Edge, but I feel like he overemphasizes sometimes.

Oh, I can't believe I forgot The Great Khali as terrible. Even when he's speaking English I have no idea wtf he's saying.

WADHNVMBARETYOOMEGHATONIGHTRAUGHMFL

Bodom
08-16-2010, 05:29 PM
Cena's fine when he doesn't get preachy

Robstar
08-16-2010, 05:38 PM
I like Edge, but I feel like he overemphasizes sometimes.

Oh, I can't believe I forgot The Great Khali as terrible. Even when he's speaking English I have no idea wtf he's saying.

WADHNVMBARETYOOMEGHATONIGHTRAUGHMFL

Lmao, that was more understandable than Khali. The problem with Kane's promos lately is they have been too heavily scripted. Same goes for Edge - that's why it's coming across as forced. Edge is usually great on mic. Obviously someone like Jericho can just work with a rough outline of what to say and wing it from there - much as it was in the Attitude era where you had people like Stone Cold & The Rock who would ad lib a lot. Of course, Vince was a lot more liberal back then. I have the feeling Kennedy/Anderson was let go as much for his loose cannon mouth as much as for working stiff.
Tarver has been alright on the mic too. I was cringing however watching NXT season 2 when they had the mic challenge - the topics were just awful and some were much harder than others. The fact that WWE promos are heavily scripted anyway, precludes this kind of mic spontenaity pointless anyway.
Really like Arn Anderson's promos a while ago

Bodom
08-16-2010, 05:39 PM
Peckerwood's Mustache promo FTW

the_captain
08-16-2010, 05:43 PM
Any of the challenges on NXT are cringe worthy. In general.

And yes, I got that feeling too Robstar. I wish that they would just give them a general outline and say "Run with it". Rather than "You say this, then you say this, then you say this." It makes it far less natural sounding.

Robstar
08-16-2010, 05:44 PM
Peckerwood's Mustache promo FTW

Lol, yeah it was pretty terrible wasn't it? I felt like Riley got a free pass on that one - not that I can remember what his topic was. Ever get the feeling WWE is trying to steer fan opinion/votes on NXT by constructing challenges that favour certain people?

the_captain
08-16-2010, 05:45 PM
Why I think they do this even, is because that the scripted things sound better on those little video vignettes that they do to hype the feud. Those are just silly to begin with.

Also: THERE. WILL. BE. VENGEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANCEEEEEEEEEEEEEE EEEEE!

the_captain
08-16-2010, 05:46 PM
Lol, yeah it was pretty terrible wasn't it? I felt like Riley got a free pass on that one - not that I can remember what his topic was. Ever get the feeling WWE is trying to steer fan opinion/votes on NXT by constructing challenges that favour certain people?

Oh hell yea. They said that fan voting counts for "half" of the tally. 50%, split among several people. Then, they get to vote who they want. Anything plus 50% is a majority.

Voting in general on NXT I feel is useless. Because regardless of who we vote for, it'll still be who they want to win. For example, I highly doubt anyone is voting for Percy.

Robstar
08-16-2010, 05:54 PM
I'm still wondering how many NXT2's will get a spot on the roster. Surely it won't be like season 1's - IMO only 4 will move up this time. I'd hate to be the guys who get sent back to FCW - their chances of a main roster call up are slim as hell now. Wouldn't be surprised to see WWE drop a couple. Poor Eli! lol

Rangers_Chosen_Hun
08-16-2010, 06:06 PM
i like the miz's promos the one he did last night was no pun intended awesome lol he is a jackass but he had the crowd in the palm of his hands

i also like cm punks, jericho, wade barrets, ortons and edge

NWO_Loki
08-16-2010, 06:27 PM
I think John Morrison is an amazing athlete and perfomer but god help him, he is not a very compelling mic worker meanwhile, Miz is not that great of a wrestler but is just a great mic-smith. He is a wipe but he knows how to draw the heat will one day make him a huge babyface.

Tommy Thunder
08-16-2010, 06:33 PM
Miz, Punk, Jericho, Taker can all cut really good promos
Mr Kennedy was (and still is with TNA) the best at cutting promos, heel and face, i've seen for years. Shame that incident with Orton led to hi release.
McIntyre, Sheamus, Morrison, Evan Bourne all need work on their mic skills, then they will be top guys.
Alex Riley has been awesome (no pun intended!) on the mic in NXT, he even takes the spotlight from Miz at times! And McGui... Joe Henning, has impressed me on the mic, reminds me of Kennedy in fact!!

Tommy Thunder
08-16-2010, 06:36 PM
I'm still wondering how many NXT2's will get a spot on the roster. Surely it won't be like season 1's - IMO only 4 will move up this time. I'd hate to be the guys who get sent back to FCW - their chances of a main roster call up are slim as hell now. Wouldn't be surprised to see WWE drop a couple. Poor Eli! lol

Kaval, Joe Henning, Husky Harris, and Alex Riley for sure have spots on the main roster waiting for them, i can see Percy Watson coming up too after another year or so in FCW. The rest, i doubt we'll hear from them again.

gibbs
08-16-2010, 07:52 PM
i agree, morrison is a hell of a performer but lacks mic skills and charisma, let's hope that wwe doesn't make him a mid card

Rangers_Chosen_Hun
08-16-2010, 07:56 PM
forgot to say ones that need to improve lol i think gabriel he wold be good with a mouthpiece drew cause as a scotsman i think that he doesnt come accross as aggrasive as his character should be sometimes i cringe when morrison cuts a face promo when he was heel he was great i thought but not as a face

Absinthe
08-16-2010, 07:58 PM
I like CM Punk on the mic

Orton always seems awkward on the mic

The Hipster
08-16-2010, 08:25 PM
Cena, Miz and Taker are great on the mic (Golddust too). Orton does always seem to force his cuts and Vickie is no good either.

NWO_Loki
08-16-2010, 11:25 PM
I like CM Punk on the mic

Orton always seems awkward on the mic

CM Punk is great on the mic. WWE really miffed the whole SEC angle. That could have gone a whole different way but instead they are like a campy jobbers to keep babyfaces lookin good.

AaronTyler
08-17-2010, 02:23 AM
The Miz is ok, but not GREAT in my book, He would appeal to me more if his form of promoing was creative and wasn't recycled off of catch-phrases. I mean how many times has that been done before? People constantly try to perfect The Rocks work, instead creating their own. You don't have to have catchphrases to be great on the mic.

I think one of the best people on the mic today is Edge, HHH, John Cena, Chris Jericho, CM Punk and Sheamus seems to hold himself well while talking, They all make promoing seem like a extension of themselves talking. Its the art of seeming natural while talking, not like you read a script backstage, then come out and try to manufacture the words and emotion while talking. R-Truth, John Morrison, David Otunga, Randy Orton are notorious for doing that, when they talk it sounds like they are reading a script, they just don't sound natural. There is so much talent today in WWE that is held back because of the fact that they can't speak well on the mic, WWE wants wrestlers with the full package, If you can't speak how do they expect you to be marketable? Unless you can rely on a flashy image and unique wrestling style to get you over like Mysterio and Morrison.

The main mid-carders I feel that are good is MVP, Drew Mcintyre, Santino and the list goes on. MVP is the number one talent that needs a push, I don't what WWE is thinking, he is great on the mic. I do disagree with you about Kane, I think he is fantastic on the mic, and pulls the aura of his character off perfectly. I can't see where he seems forced. But Kofi Kingston, Jack Swagger, Ted Debiase, Evan Bourne are horrible on the mic, so much potential in their characters are ruined by horrible mic structure, they are the ones who need work.

RKOViper
08-17-2010, 05:36 AM
Nice topic.

In order of who is best these are my opinions:

1. The Miz (the best right now, in some ways he reminds me of the heel Rock, people hate him but they love to hate him and still chant along with his main catchphrase!)
2. Jericho
3. CM Punk
4. Wade Barrett
5. Drew McIntyre

These are just too good in the way they put themselves over get heat. Rather than a cheap pop. A cheap pop just shows the wrestler has showed up to the right place and named it correctly so the crowd goes WOOOOO. Whereas the heels are more like - "I'm here, I'm going to diss you and talk about how great I am and whether you boo me or cheer me YOU WILL LISTEN".

Now, the guys who really need work!

1. John Morrison - He's good but please, his mic skills are missing along with the confidence the mic skills will bring to give him main event status.
2. R-Truth - Hate this guy. If he's going to sing (or whatever he calls that disaster), at least get singing lessons or just shut the hell up. I always forward is entrances. I'm waiting for the day that the crowd uses their brain and stops giving him sympathy cheers and instead of saying WASSUP just say SHUT UP.
3. Rey Mysterio - How did he ever win 2 World titles with crap mic skills? "it was YOU kane" - sounded like a total idiot. And when he starts talking Spanish, how many people actually understand what he says!!!
4. Jack Swagger - he doesn't need a lot of work but maybe some slight humor whilst being heel will get him some more crowd reactions. He reminds me of Kurt Angle, has 2 awesome finishers (one that is same as Kurt), great future and just because he lacks a tiny bit in the mic skills to deliver a great promo, he bottoms this list which makes him better than the other 3 guys.

Remember, just my opinions. I know some of you may like R-Truth, god knows why though.

Bodom
08-17-2010, 07:38 AM
i agree, morrison is a hell of a performer but lacks mic skills and charisma, let's hope that wwe doesn't make him a mid card

Morrison is already stuck in mid-card hell.

The Instant Classic
08-17-2010, 02:54 PM
Best has to be Christian, and worst has to be (besides the obvious unintelligable ones) David Otunga.

Angela
08-17-2010, 06:31 PM
For me, 'Taker is the best in WWE for promos... he's always been great.

Worst, I haven't watched in a while to know about some people, but I never liked Mysterio on the mic... but that's just my taste.

eyehatecena
08-17-2010, 09:42 PM
The best:
CM Punk
Jehricho
Christian
Miz(he is getting better and better all the time- just not at the level of the three above)
Sheamus has grown on me
Wade Barrett- glad WWE is letting him be the main speaker for Nexus
Kaval- His voice is cool
And I know he is no longer in WWE, but Tommy Dreamer was always great on the mic- especially durring the original ECW)
I have grown tired of the Undertakers intrances, but he is still great on the mic.
The worse:
Cena- has lame ass jokes that you hear over and over- somebody else should write his crap
John Morrison- I agree, he is great in the ring, but needs to get better on the mic

MrNolan
08-18-2010, 03:33 PM
Cena's promos give ya goosebumps. I find it amazing that he can captivate the crowd with little to no catch phrases and "say it with me now" chants. Hes the best. Jericho is great as well. Hes been awesome as a heel and we all know he can do it as a face. I love Randy Orton but can't quite shake the feeling that his promos are a little lacking. The Miz is awesome on the mic but he gives me the feeling of an annoying little brother type. The best all time would have to be The Rock with Stone Cold an extremely close second. Hogan is 3rd on my all time list.

RKOViper
08-18-2010, 05:01 PM
Cena's promos give ya goosebumps. I find it amazing that he can captivate the crowd with little to no catch phrases and "say it with me now" chants. Hes the best. Jericho is great as well. Hes been awesome as a heel and we all know he can do it as a face. I love Randy Orton but can't quite shake the feeling that his promos are a little lacking. The Miz is awesome on the mic but he gives me the feeling of an annoying little brother type. The best all time would have to be The Rock with Stone Cold an extremely close second. Hogan is 3rd on my all time list.

I would rank Santino higher than Hogan to be honest lol! Ever since Hogan messed up his segment with Vincey-boy that time on Smackdown, I can never see Hogan as a good talker on the mic!

Just for amusement: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7yP-T3ZCsg

Have a good laugh at the guy calling himself gay! The Right Gay!

AGEOFFALL
08-18-2010, 09:08 PM
Jericho is a natural on the mic. the miz, orton, edge, & punk are good. And kane's promo as of lately have been good. Cena's mic skills are alright but they get annoying when he does those angry passionate promos. worst has to be eli cottonwood. WTf does Mustache mean?

eyehatecena
08-18-2010, 09:21 PM
I have to agree with ya on the Rock- guess that is why he is one of the very few wrestlers to cross over the acting that actually does a pretty good job at it.
Cena though, while he can speak pretty well- his jokes are lame- its the same old stick. Its as predictable as his matches.

TheDevilsAdvocate
09-24-2010, 09:37 PM
Edge, Chris Jericho, The Miz, Kane, Alberto Del Rio, Christian, John Cena, CM Punk, and Undertaker currently have the best mic skills.

The ones that I think need work is R-truth, John Morrison, ALL OF THE DIVAS, and Dolph Ziggler.

TheDevilsAdvocate
09-24-2010, 09:43 PM
Jericho is a natural on the mic. the miz, orton, edge, & punk are good. And kane's promo as of lately have been good. Cena's mic skills are alright but they get annoying when he does those angry passionate promos. worst has to be eli cottonwood. WTf does Mustache mean?

A Mustache is a strip of hair that grows (commonly on a male) on the upper-lip. Anyway, I disliked Eli Cottonwood. He made The Great Khali look amazing. An yeah I hate it when John Cena gets like that. I have no idea why he plays the 'sad guy' role when we all know he's going to clobber that guy in a squash match at one of the future ppv's. Lol.

IrkenInvader
07-11-2011, 09:05 PM
http://www.motifake.com/image/demotivational-poster/1002/lucky-polar-bear-demotivational-poster-1265839306.jpg