PDA

View Full Version : WWE wants John Cena to be hated

WISEGUY
09-24-2011, 12:45 PM
Hey, I read this article and found it very interesting. WWE wants you to hate John Cena.

"In wrestling, much like life, there are good guys and bad guys. When you are a kid it is very cut and dry. The bad guys always carry dynamite, tie damsels to the train tracks and twist their mustache menacingly.

As you get older and lose your kid-vision, you learn the bad guys don't always twist their mustaches, sometimes it's the clean shaven, squeaky clean neighbor tying you to the tracks and dynamite really is not that common. Sometimes it is hard to distinguish between the good guy, bad guy and the guy you just don't like, and the same can be said for professional wrestling.

To quote Eric Bischoff, "controversy creates cash" and you can't get more controversial than Cena.

Women and children love him. He is a real life superhero and a marketing departments dream come true. Most grown men seem to despise him, doubt his abilities and believe him to be the epitome of overrated. While this modern day Hogan stands for truth, justice and the American way, he brings more heat than Bluto in a Popeye cartoon.

So what does WWE think about the IWC hating their No. 1 face? They're loving every minute of it.

They can put any superstar in a match against Cena and the crowd will be amped. The little Jimmy's will cross their fingers and toes that Super Cena prevails, while the rest of the crowd will back his opponent—no matter who it is. Could it get any easier for creative? The Cena fans buy all his merchandise and the Cena haters buy everything else, the financial train keeps on rolling. Cena is the perfect face/heel tied up in a bright, colorful and marketable package.

Let us take a trip back to Algebra. John Cena + ______ (Insert Random Superstar here)=Heat + Heel + Feud. Both sides of the equation are equal and, instead of creative doing their homework, we get this equation where every once in a while they plug in a new foe for Cena to face without building him up first.

I genuinely believe this is part of the problem with the storylines (or lack thereof) we have been given. Instead of a developed opponent we can get behind, someone to potentially rival Cena, we get the recycle, reduce and reuse version of things, and because for every Cena fan there is a Cena hater, it allows the company to get away with it.

WWE is a business first and a wrestling promotion second. We can cry out for change until we are blue in the face, but as long Cena fans tune in to see their hero, and Cena haters tune in hoping to see him dethrowned, there is no motive for a reform. John Cena generates expectation in us. We expect him to lose although we know deep inside he won't. It's like Hogan back in the 80's, but reversed.

So keep chanting "You can't wrestle," make your anti-Cena signs, t-shirts and join Chavo Guerrero's pointless crusade and boycott WWE all you want. As long as Cena is the catalyst that divides the fans, WWE can giggle all the way to the bank."

So what's everyones opinion on this article?

the-rocks-stunner
09-24-2011, 01:24 PM
And thats why they make billions a year.

Wrestling_Deluxe_08
09-24-2011, 01:43 PM
John Cena has HUGE polarity as a superstar. Many love him, many hate him, and both sides have LEGIT reasons to be where they are. That is why he is where he is right now. WWE wants those superstars people will pay hard earned money to see win or lose or maybe a little bit of both. So honestly, if fans want someone to blame for why John Cena is constantly on top, they should blame themselves. They made him the controversial star he is today. Whether you love him or hate him, he gets a reaction out of you.

This may piss people off, but same thing applies to Kelly Kelly. People wonder why she is diva's champion and why she hasn't dropped it yet to Beth Phoenix, because lately she has been getting STRONG reactions from the crowd. Surprisingly, they are even stronger than Beth Phoenix. Positive or negative, Kelly Kelly draws emotion from the crowd.

The_Awesome_One
09-24-2011, 02:24 PM
i'm boycotting RAW until Cena loses the title

Smackdown > Raw, anyway

pauadrian
09-24-2011, 02:24 PM
i can agreewith this article
i still hate you cena

CrowOfMurders
09-24-2011, 02:39 PM
I think that the most important thing to realize from this theory is that ultimately,the WWE,and prowrestling in general is about giving a giant middle finger F*** YOU! to all wrestling fans. Creative teams don't do shit to come up with engaging genuine storylines to drive fan interest and keep them tuned in and wanting more. They just give you Cena and NOT Cena and expect you to keep watching. Personally this article's argument is very glib and oversimplified,but there seems to be some weight to the idea of "ok just give them more Cena"(the Del Rio title loss seems to fit) to make up for a lack of direction,planning or even intelligence it seems. I refuse to believe that after a lifetime of following wrestling I'm just expected to be cattle lead to tune in to just watch Cena win every time,or root for him to lose(which he never REALLY seems to do that often) Truth is,except for a couple matches with Punk,I usually just change the channel whenever Cena is on the screen,even during PPVs,because I don't hate him or love him,I'm just indifferent to him and his characters and his sesame street promo work.So I won't waste time watching.

On another note, this Cena-mark idea that he's incredibly controversial and therefore a cash cow,has to be the most asinine idea and completely irrelevant. I really doubt the "adult male anti-Cena" crowd is dumb enough to keep watching just to see if he loses, I think at this point,we all realize it's irrelevant because lose today,he'll win the title at the next PPV. Seen it once, don't need to see it again. It's not even fun to watch him get beat down b/c a)he no sells b) the hulking up at the end and superhero win. We know wrestling is fixed,and unless something drastically changes(heel turn/gimmick change) it's ridiculous to really expect WWE not to keep running their cash cow. So even if we start to hate him,how long can they drag it out expecting us to keep taking the bait. I know I couldn't care less. However,is he controversial? Absolutely not,John Cena is as controversial as vanilla icecream in a paper cup. That's the biggest criticism about him,he's trying his hardest to be completely remote from anything considered interesting by anyone passed puberty. Punk's done really well because he gave the fans the Anti-Cena(which was a godsend even if it was so very temporary),a loudmouth jackass who criticizes the company and says everything he can whether or not it's controversial,therefore PUNK was controversial,however his quickly becoming stupid storyline w/ Nash and HHH is going to fizzle all of his appeal,but Punk has enough range and depth to survive it,and evolve his character again if need be. Cena hasn't evolved since he started his face turn and became golden boy. Cena gets a reaction from crowds because THAT IS THE POINT OF A CROWD. I think it's more to make a point to boo him just to go against the kids and women cheering the hairless gorilla,except for his golden boy gimmick, Cena has nothing else to really illicit a reaction from the crowd,just a stupid smirk,and terrible promos. However,for people watching at home,does the fact that 1/2 the crowd boos him and the other 1/2 cheers REALLY make them want to watch? EVERY week? I highly doubt it,because you watch it once,and you get the same thing,EVERY DAMN TIME.
I miss the days when controversy in pro wrestling meant ECW,Stone Cold Steve Austin,NWO,Satanic Undertaker/Kane,Crow-Sting,HLA,Sable/TorrieW/StacyK/Puppies. Now controversy means being manipulated by a lazy,fat monopolistic entertainment giant,into loving/hating a 1/2assed modern Hulk Hogan w/o any of his natural charisma or lasting appeal, talk about BULL SHIT.

BlazersDozen
09-24-2011, 03:27 PM
i'm boycotting RAW until Cena loses the title

Smackdown > Raw, anyway

I'm joining you except I'll YouTube the CM Punk storyline developments until Cena is inserted to make everyone look like his bitches.

jordan1995
09-24-2011, 03:30 PM
interesting read

Sully
09-24-2011, 03:51 PM
It's true, totally true. Sad thing is, they'll never realize how big of a reaction turning Cena heel could cause. If he does it right, it could result in the same thing that happened with Punk back in July-August. Then people will be scurrying to by HIS shirts, the anti-cena fans could possibly turn to like Cena.

The thing is though, not every adult hates Cena...not every little kid likes Cena. There are a lot of adults who cheer for Cena, just because he's good at what he does.

AOF666
09-24-2011, 04:03 PM
What it really comes down to is politics. Just like Hulk Hogan, John Cena is really good at politics. Like in the 80's, Hulk Hogan came off like he was really nice and cared about the kids, 20 years later, Cena is no different. I'm not saying they didn't/don't care, but it does make you wonder!They are both so good at the politics game, that they hide behind their good guy persona. How often did Hogan ever job to someone to elevate their career? Other than Punk, how often does John Cena job to someone to elevate their career?

The Brown One
09-24-2011, 04:45 PM
This should a blog, nevertheless, it was a good read. Its true what you said WISEGUY.

Murphdogg4
09-24-2011, 08:29 PM
The only probem with that theory is that Cena doesn't get money heat from the older crowd, he get's Xpac heat. I Dvr raw and pretty much just skip over Cena's interviews or segments unless it involves someone like CM Punk.

jrsckilla23
09-25-2011, 03:12 AM
John Cena as face I'll still booo his ass, when they turn him heel I'll still booo his ass and turns back to a face I'll still booo his ass. Listen people John Cena says it all the time in his boring ass promos which the last one I heard from him was the one with Cm punk before going into MITB PPV which he said he don't care about nobody else but the people who wear his colors proud, which means you have to buy his gay ass merchandise just so he can entertain those people with the same bullshit he has been doing for the 5 years (SuperCena beating the odds once again). I have never seen a wrestling entertain like Hogan & Cena who only give a shit about people buying there shit so they can just entertain those fans while Stone Cold, The Rock, Shawn Michaels, The Undertaker, Triple H, Mick Foley, Macho Man, Ric Flair, Edge, Chris Jericho, Chris Benoit, Christian(CUZ THAT'S HOW I ROLL!!! Character), Booker T, Sting, Big Show, Kane, Dudley Boyz, Hardy Boyz, Batista and even Cm Punk have given all of the wrestling fans WRESTLING ENTERTAINMENT something different, a shocking heel turn, great wrestling matches and awesome promos while Cena does the same shit but people still cheer him cuz he's a role model outside the WWE the last time I checked I thought wrestling was fake, scripted and not real cuz it was all wrestling entertainment. But if WWE doesn't want to make Cena a Heel cuz people are gonna hate him in real life "People It's a fucken Soap Oprah whatever they do live, house or PPV it's just to ENTERTAIN YOU not make you think there really a Superman or a Real Bad outside of WWE" I have to say is FUCK THE WWE UNIVERSE cuz those are Cena fans who think wrestling entertainment is real while us Wrestling fans know that shit ain't real and all we want to see is WRESTLING ENTERTAINMENT NOT CENA ENTERTAINMENT. NUFF SAID CUZ I'VE CENA NUFF

http://i721.photobucket.com/albums/ww211/jrsckilla23/314665_273340639350520_247118128639438_1061524_193 793533_n.jpg

the great Steef
09-25-2011, 03:31 AM
vince mcmahon: dammit they are on to us!!!

kjell
09-25-2011, 02:05 PM
well, it would be worse if EVERYBODY cheered John Cena

Undertaker Mark
09-25-2011, 04:23 PM
Interesting read. Should have been a blog though. Cena is a good talent and although I find a great deal of his promo's to be a bit cheesy he is a good brawler.I think WWE just need to let him drop the superman status and let him be a bit more brutal in the ring.Im sure all the Lil' Jimmy's will still cheer him.