PDA

View Full Version : The Irish Potato?

Rich Cranium
09-24-2011, 10:16 AM
Last night on Smackdown, we saw Christian bring Sheamus a potato. After Christian left, Sheamus took a bite and said it must be from Idaho.

To me, it's rather ridiculous they are doing these stereotypes. I mean, he has the Celtic thing going along with the pale white skin and the red hair. Throw in the feigned accent and that is all you need. I just think this other stuff sucks for him. I just hope it doesn't turn him into a joke.

Thoughts?

HeelTurn
09-24-2011, 10:35 AM
Last night on Smackdown, we saw Christian bring Sheamus a potato. After Christian left, Sheamus took a bite and said it must be from Idaho.

To me, it's rather ridiculous they are doing these stereotypes. I mean, he has the Celtic thing going along with the pale white skin and the red hair. Throw in the feigned accent and that is all you need. I just think this other stuff sucks for him. I just hope it doesn't turn him into a joke.

Thoughts?

Thats the WWE for ya, they love stereotypes, look at all the English wrestlers they have had (except Barrett) and Finlay had a leprechaun sidekick. Im sure Sheamus wont be turned into a joke character.

kersh
09-24-2011, 10:48 AM
Admit it

everyone in the UK that read this title simply thought of this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hXjC99mHX4&NR=1

AOF666
09-24-2011, 10:53 AM
Sheamus is not going to turn into a joke, it was more about making Christian look like a coward more than anything! It was funny what someone wrote of twitter, Ronald McDonald vs Wendy!

Bodom
09-24-2011, 11:47 AM
It was one line and I got a chuckle out of it.

I think you're overreacting.

Russo swerve
09-24-2011, 11:52 AM
Sheamus is still the man

Tomsta666
09-24-2011, 12:26 PM
Admit it

everyone in the UK that read this title simply thought of this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hXjC99mHX4&NR=1

Overrated and unfunny gash.

Though I'll admit it, watching Smackdown when the skit happened I was thinking "POTATO!!" :p

Rich Cranium
09-24-2011, 12:36 PM
It was one line and I got a chuckle out of it.

I think you're overreacting.

Sure the thread is title Irish Potato but if you read my OP you would see I was using the potato segment as an example of the bigger picture.

tchocky360
09-24-2011, 01:21 PM

Thoughts?

I don't think his skin colour makes him a joke, that's his natural colour.
Same with the red hair and that accent is real as well.

The only kinda jokey bits of him are the massive Celtic Cross he wears and the stories he tells. And that's just a bit of harmless exaggeration.

I'm Irish and I'm used to the potato jokes tbh, it's just a bit of teasing.

Now, Finlay was a jokey Irish character....

Leggo
09-24-2011, 01:26 PM
I don't think his skin colour makes him a joke, that's his natural colour.

The only kinda jokey bits of him are the massive Celtic Cross he wears and the stories he tells.
I'm Irish and I'm used to the potato jokes tbh, it's just a bit of teasing, and it was funnier when he said it was from Idaho.

Now, Finlay was a jokey Irish character....

Agreed...

I think Rich was pointing out the fact that maybe this direction (joke/stereotype) may not be good for Sheamus' character direction.

tchocky360
09-24-2011, 01:35 PM
Agreed...

I think Rich was pointing out the fact that maybe this direction (joke/stereotype) may not be good for Sheamus' character direction.

He's not massively different as a face or heel in attitude. He's just gone from kicking faces in the head to kicking heels.

Irish people play up that we can have the craic and we're fun to have around. That's all he's doing his "born with a lucky horse shoe up me arse" lines.
If Regal can have polite tea and crumpets in the middle of the ring once in a while and that's fine, no reason they can't jest about Ireland in a similar way.
If he does ever team with Hornswoggle though I take it back about it being ok.

I don't really see any of it as a problem, he's getting a strong push and is doing this place proud.

Leggo
09-24-2011, 01:38 PM
He's not massively different as a face or heel in attitude. He's just gone from kicking faces in the head to kicking heels.

Irish people play up that we can have the craic and we're fun to have around. That's all he's doing his "born with a lucky horse shoe up me arse" lines.
If Regal can have polite tea and crumpets in the middle of the ring once in a while and that's fine, no reason they can't jest about Ireland in a similar way.
If he does ever team with Hornswoggle though I take it back about it being fine

Lol... I'm not disagreeing with you mate. But if Shea us/hornswoggle did happen then... Uh oh! Lol

HeelTurn
09-24-2011, 01:39 PM
Lol... I'm not disagreeing with you mate. But if Shea us/hornswoggle did happen then... Uh oh! Lol

Remember when he beat up Swoggle at the Rumble? Now that was funny.

Rich Cranium
09-24-2011, 02:53 PM

The accent he uses on TV is a lot stronger than those he gives on radio interviews.

Reloval
09-24-2011, 02:57 PM
I like Potatoes

eboy
09-24-2011, 02:59 PM

Thoughts?

well stereotypes make life simpler unforunatly

tchocky360
09-24-2011, 03:16 PM
The accent he uses on TV is a lot stronger than those he gives on radio interviews.

The accent on TV is still a pure Dublin accent, It's not a comedy one. Maybe on radio he's more softly spoken because it's face to face essentially, instead of having to shout down a mic to appear intimidating to a few thousand people.

Leggo
09-24-2011, 03:57 PM
The accent on TV is still a pure Dublin accent, It's not a comedy one. Maybe on radio he's more softly spoken because it's face to face essentially, instead of having to shout down a mic to appear intimidating to a few thousand people.

Yeah, it is his real accent... Strong one too.

Rich Cranium
09-24-2011, 04:00 PM
I like Potatoes

Well that is really on topic. :confused:

jelle1809
09-25-2011, 08:23 AM
I thought it was a good segment. No overkill of thinking that Sheamus will be made into a joke.

Siracul
09-25-2011, 10:21 AM
Good segment.
People overreact.
Sheamus will be fine unless they team him up with Hornswoggle :D
I still remember a time where no one could stand the sight of Sheamus, God how things change :D