PDA

View Full Version : What about the 'wrestling feel'

Brewer 314
09-23-2011, 01:48 AM
I know that WWE is 'Sports Entertainment' and not 'Pro Wrestling' but does anybody else think that the TV product looks stale and generic?

Here's my thing: Back in the day the audience seemed so involved and the shows had a 'crowd' element to them, now the crowd element seems so secondary to all the lighting and branding that we see on TV. We all know that we're watching Raw, there's no need for all the signage, I mean even the announcers table is branded!

There's a few exceptions in regards to PPV's, but those mostly still have a good atmosphere to them. I just can't stand that damn universal set and all of branding that comes with it. Both Raw & Smackdown come off as so over polished an cheesy looking!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ytbA0ppfH4

^ Last years Old School Raw presented a great example of the 'wrestling atmosphere' that I was talking about! That show had a great feel to it!

Raab22
09-23-2011, 02:14 AM
i get your point, it really does seem far too polished and perfect, old wrestling felt grittier and like anything could happen, but I suspect we feel this way cos we miss the good old days, its simple nostalgia

Brewer 314
09-23-2011, 02:17 AM
i get your point, it really does seem far too polished and perfect, old wrestling felt grittier and like anything could happen, but I suspect we feel this way cos we miss the good old days, its simple nostalgia

Did you watch the clip? I think the solution is pretty simple.

Nostalgia does play a part though.

Samuel L. Jackson
09-23-2011, 02:58 AM
I know that WWE is 'Sports Entertainment' and not 'Pro Wrestling' but does anybody else think that the TV product looks stale and generic?

Here's my thing: Back in the day the audience seemed so involved and the shows had a 'crowd' element to them, now the crowd element seems so secondary to all the lighting and branding that we see on TV. We all know that we're watching Raw, there's no need for all the signage, I mean even the announcers table is branded!

There's a few exceptions in regards to PPV's, but those mostly still have a good atmosphere to them. I just can't stand that damn universal set and all of branding that comes with it. Both Raw & Smackdown come off as so over polished an cheesy looking!

^ Last years Old School Raw presented a great example of the 'wrestling atmosphere' that I was talking about! That show had a great feel to it!

... Also, there were Wrestlers back in the day... Yup, that's it - that's what contributed to the product...

Enforcer23
09-23-2011, 09:20 AM
well its simple WWE as much as i love watching it still THESE days it is waterd down...meaning NO blood NO chair shots NO this and that it is like there trying to hide something from us LOL

AOF666
09-23-2011, 09:43 AM

You said it in your opening statement. WWE is all about sports entertainment!

Y2J___Y2J
09-23-2011, 12:03 PM
It would be cool if they had different sets for each show.. but I guess it just reassures the fans as to what they are watching.. if they somehow did not know what the fuck they were watching

Murphdogg4
09-24-2011, 08:43 PM
your on the money, it's bland, homaganized, and all so corporate. overly scripted with little to no genuine emotion. That's why when anything unscripted and with genuine emotion like Cm punks 'shoot" or the Rock calling Cena out without a script is so exciting. Its not nostolgia, it's being observant.