View Full Version : Scarface to be remade

Subject Zero
09-22-2011, 06:59 AM
Reports say a Scarface remake is in the works

http://uk.movies.yahoo.com/22092011/35/say-hello-scarface-0.html

Pointless remake or a good idea?

Dameduse823
09-22-2011, 07:31 AM
When are they goingto stop ruining classics by remaking them just so they can beef up the guns, gore and sex

PandaMassacre
09-22-2011, 07:40 AM
A remake?! They should just make Scarface 2: The Senior Edition. Nobody can replace what those other guys did with the original film. What's next? A remake of A Clockwork Orange?

Subject Zero
09-22-2011, 07:47 AM
A remake?! They should just make Scarface 2: The Senior Edition. Nobody can replace what those other guys did with the original film. What's next? A remake of A Clockwork Orange?

Nah it will be Bambi any money.

PandaMassacre
09-22-2011, 07:51 AM
Nah it will be Bambi any money.

It will probably be the "live action movie". They did that with Yogi The Bear recently.

Subject Zero
09-22-2011, 07:55 AM
It will probably be the "live action movie". They did that with Yogi The Bear recently.

LOL

I cant wait until 3 years time when they announce they are remaking the Harry Potter films. Thats what is going to be next.

Or an Avatar remake.

Iron Ape
09-22-2011, 08:05 AM
When are they goingto stop ruining classics by remaking them just so they can beef up the guns, gore and sex
I just feel compelled to point out that De Palma's Scarface was a remake. And it featured significantly more guns, violence, and sex than the original. So LOL @ this post.

Subject Zero
09-22-2011, 08:15 AM
I just feel compelled to point out that De Palma's Scarface was a remake. And it featured significantly more guns, violence, and sex than the original. So LOL @ this post.

Actually reading that post back yeah i kinda do see that

Iron Ape
09-22-2011, 08:35 AM
Dude we all know that but the point is the Al Pacino is still loved today the original which is pretty F'ing hard to get hold of isnt going to be watched by alot of films fans because of this Anti-Black and white bullshit.

The Al Pacino version is still watched and loved by people who only watch modern films. I know alot of people who only watch recent films but they still love Scarface.

The point is this film dosent need to be remade its perfect the way it is.

Not trying to be a smartarse or argue with you but i think its common knowledge that Scarface with Al Pacino is a remake.
De Palma's Scarface might be iconic, but it's in no way a perfect movie. In a lot of ways, it's actually kind of awful. Irrelevant, though, as another take on the film is in no way going to affect your perceived classic. That film will always be there for you to watch.

And you missed the main thrust of what I was saying in my last post. Someone was complaining that a new version is just going to feature more guns, violence, and sex, and I was pointing out that the very film that you guys are treating as some kind of sacred cow is guilty of that same exact thing. It's completely hypocritical for fans of De Palma's film to rail against this sort of project, as well as entirely pointless considering that people always have the option available to them to simply not watch it. This "ruining classics" talk is, frankly, a bunch of silliness.

Subject Zero
09-22-2011, 08:40 AM
De Palma's Scarface might be iconic, but it's in no way a perfect movie. In a lot of ways, it's actually kind of awful. Irrelevant, though, as another take on the film is in no way going to affect your perceived classic. That film will always be there for you to watch.

And you missed the main thrust of what I was saying in my last post. Someone was complaining that a new version is just going to feature more guns, violence, and sex, and I was pointing out that the very film that you guys are treating as some kind of sacred cow is guilty of that same exact thing. It's completely hypocritical for fans of De Palma's film to rail against this sort of project, as well as entirely pointless considering that people always have the option available to them to simply not watch it. This "ruining classics" talk is, frankly, a bunch of silliness.

Yeah i know i missed it LOL i thats why i edited my commit sorry Ape.

But alot of people including my self see Scarface as a classic (with me its mainly because of Pacinos performance the plot was ok to say the least). Im not annoyed because they are remaking it as such but because they could make another completely new film with the money they spend on this one. Especially when i film dosent need to be remade. It just seems its remake after remake after remake and alot of them (well 90% of them) arent needed.

Tommy Thunder
09-22-2011, 08:40 AM
I'm always open to re-makes, as long as they don't really make the original look bad. But like Ape said, the original is always there, so I'll wait and see with this one.

Iron Ape
09-22-2011, 08:51 AM
Yeah i know i missed it LOL i thats why i edited my commit sorry Ape.

But alot of people including my self see Scarface as a classic (with me its mainly because of Pacinos performance the plot was ok to say the least). Im not annoyed because they are remaking it as such but because they could make another completely new film with the money they spend on this one. Especially when i film dosent need to be remade. It just seems its remake after remake after remake and alot of them (well 90% of them) arent needed.
New films aren't not getting made on account of remakes; new films aren't getting made because, time and time again, audiences have proven with their wallets that they would rather be served more of the same.

Subject Zero
09-22-2011, 08:54 AM
New films aren't not getting made on account of remakes; new films aren't getting made because, time and time again, audiences have proven with their wallets that they would rather be served more of the same.

True.

Its just disappointing from a movie Fan like myself who has such a vast taste in films to see the same old shit. But i cant argue with what you said because its 100% accurate and its a shame really.

Grind_Bastard
09-22-2011, 09:58 AM
I'm not interested in this new remake. However 1932's version with Paul Muni (it was him, wasn't he?) is in my "to-watch" list.

KJ PUNK
09-22-2011, 10:11 AM
I really don't have problems with remakes. If it sucks, you can always watch the original. If it's good, you have a better version of the original. I don't really care that much for Scarface anyway.

Rich Cranium
09-22-2011, 10:44 AM
I once received a Scarface bundle as a gift that included the DePalma DVD, the original Scarface DVD, posters and a money clip. The movie was more of a cult classic because when it debuted at the movies, people were thrown off by the excessive violence. But I will give this remake a chance and if it does well, great. If it bombs, no sweat as I still have my DVD set. :)