PDA

View Full Version : The Original Alberto In WWE?

LuckIsForLosers
09-17-2011, 08:18 AM
Hey guys

So I'm doing some business deals with a Colombian. Had a meeting with him today, and his surname was "Escobar". So why did I keep thinking of a woman whispering "Essssscoobaaarr" when he introduced himself? You know where I'm going with this unnecessary excuse for a thread haha...

Eric Escobar anyone? Wasn't he what Alberto Del Rio is today gimmick-wise? What went wrong? Or we can just "lol" at him. Feel free.

eboy
09-17-2011, 08:24 AM
all i can remember of Eric Escobar is his Vickie Gimmick and him getting into the Bragging Rights Smackdown Team shame really i thought he had some potential

Wade Barrett 1979
09-17-2011, 08:44 AM
You've been doing 'business deals' with a Colombian called Escobar?!?! Any relation to Pablo? :0P

alexrules01
09-17-2011, 09:00 AM
He wasn't a rich Aristocrat, he was more of just a cool, slick kinda guy, which was probably well off, but the gimmicks were different.

Don't know why he was released though, I kinda liked the guy, of what I can remember of him.

LuckIsForLosers
09-17-2011, 09:37 AM
You've been doing 'business deals' with a Colombian called Escobar?!?! Any relation to Pablo? :0P

Haha, no. Just a Colombian name Escobar :D. Sounds horrendous, I know.

So was he good? eboy, I vaguely remember him being in Bragging Rights and turning face? I'm guessing he either had no charisma or no opportunities, or I'd have remembered him.

Wade Barrett 1979
09-17-2011, 09:50 AM
Here you go:

Eric Alexander Pérez (born December 18, 1979) is a Puerto Rican professional wrestler who currently performs under the ring name Eric Escobar. He is best known for his time in World Wrestling Entertainment (WWE), where he spent most of his career in developmental territories. In the fall of 2009, he was moved to WWE's main roster on SmackDown brand where he spent a brief amount of time before being released from his WWE contract on January 17, 2010. He is the current IWA World Heavyweight Champion.

Source Wiki

Robareid
09-17-2011, 09:52 AM
I seem to remember him having some drug problems but I may be wrong

TheDevilsAdvocate
09-17-2011, 10:10 AM
Eric Escobar seemed promising. He was like the birth child of Dolph Ziggler an Alberto Del Rio.

el gabo
09-17-2011, 10:14 AM
I don't think he was the next big thing, but I certainly think he was promising. More than Heath Slater and a few others.

TheDevilsAdvocate
09-17-2011, 10:16 AM
I don't think he was the next big thing, but I certainly think he was promising. More than Heath Slater and a few others.

WWE has a knack for letting go of actual talents, and then keeping the laughable an unpromising ones around. I could provide a huge list of names of Talents that could have made the WWE product even better today.

LuckIsForLosers
09-17-2011, 10:40 AM
Of course, agree...Heath Slater being a great e.g.

PS - is that Sean O Haire in your sig?

TheDevilsAdvocate
09-17-2011, 11:57 AM
Of course, agree...Heath Slater being a great e.g.

PS - is that Sean O Haire in your sig?

It sure is. He's one of the biggest examples of WWE dropping the ball on stars that had a unique image an could actually wrestle.

THEKEVINBRAND
09-17-2011, 12:05 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmX4oZv0bMk

Y2Jryder
09-17-2011, 12:06 PM
Wasn't Escobar the guy that got a midcard push and suddenly he was released out of nowhere

efrum
09-17-2011, 12:31 PM
I remember the dirt sheets reporting at the time that his attitude stank and his release came as no surprise.
Of course, that could all be fabricated but either way it always surprises me when WWE spend time on guys in developmental and then release them soon after their main roster call up. Similar thing happened to Sinn "Kizarny" Bodhi.

Dubs
09-17-2011, 12:34 PM
IMO, I hate it when people say "WWE drop the ball on that guy" or something along those lines. Not everybody can get a push in the WWE.

TheDevilsAdvocate
09-17-2011, 12:38 PM
IMO, I hate it when people say "WWE drop the ball on that guy" or something along those lines. Not everybody can get a push in the WWE.

Eh.. It's a force of habit, but it's the truth. I would have loved to see Mordecai in the WWE today.

Bodom
09-17-2011, 12:38 PM
Aside from both of them being Hispanic, I see zero similarities between the two characters. None.

LuckIsForLosers
09-17-2011, 12:39 PM
Wasn't Escobar the guy that got a midcard push and suddenly he was released out of nowhere

The very same.

Yeah, Sean O'Haire was a very slept on talent in my opinion, he had everything - a different gimmick, in-ring ability and the ability to cut promos

Apparently he was going to get big pushes, including an angle with HBK and maybe even a world title push! Creative supposedly got cold feet (sigh).

Dubs - a very valid and good point. But certain people really DO/DID deserve to get pushed and were not pushed - and I'm not talking about JoMo's who have backstage/attitude problems.

LuckIsForLosers
09-17-2011, 12:42 PM
Aside from both of them being Hispanic, I see zero similarities between the two characters. None.

Really? Aristocrat-wise and the cars, I agree. But both are/were slick, expensive suit-wearing (or so they want you to believe!), jewelry wearing, flash and arrogant guys that resemble Hispanic drug lords/a villain from CSI Miami or the earl Fasts and Furious (I don't mean that in a racist way!).

Dubs
09-17-2011, 12:45 PM
Eh.. It's a force of habit, but it's the truth. I would have loved to see Mordecai in the WWE today.

It wasn't a shot at you, just speaking in general.

Y2J___Y2J
09-17-2011, 02:39 PM
They had him on tv for like 5 weeks.. and he sucked ass.! His in-ring was nowhere near ADR's imo

Rockstar83
09-17-2011, 06:02 PM
Eric Escobar N Alberto Del Rio are Distance cusins

Hannibal
09-18-2011, 12:11 AM
WWE has a knack for letting go of actual talents, and then keeping the laughable an unpromising ones around. I could provide a huge list of names of Talents that could have made the WWE product even better today.

Talent? He was Green on the mic and green as shit in the ring. His matches frustrated me.