PDA

View Full Version : PS1 Ultimate Game Collection

Subject Zero
09-12-2011, 07:30 AM
Hi Guys,

Im starting to build up a PS1 game collection i sold alot of mine YEARS ago when the PS2 came out. But im starting to buy alot of them now on ebay or in 2nd hand game shops.

I wanna know what games you believe are vital to have in a PS1 game collection. And which game you personally love on the PS1 but alot of gamers might not of even know exists.

HeelTurn
09-12-2011, 07:34 AM
Ah yes the PsOne, loved that console, and I have a lot of suggestions for it
I believe you already have the first 3 Res games, soooo....

Metal Gear Solid
Tekken 3
Final Fantasy 8
Crash Team Racing
Crash Bandicoot 3
Silent Hill
Tombi and Tombi 2 (well worth the search for them trust me)
Castlevania Symphony of the Night

VanHooliganX
09-12-2011, 07:38 AM
International Superstar Soccer Pro - The series that created PES, bloody good fun though and a great commentator.
Smackdown 1
Smackdown 2:Know Your Role - Brilliant games
Rugrats: Search for Reptar - WAIT! Before you judge, this game is a very rare game now, I remember playing it when I was little and I found out a few months back that its nearly impossible to find a copy of this game that every level works. Having a rare game like that would be quite cool for a ps1 collection
Final Fantasy 7 - Really good game
Ready 2 Rumble - 1 of the best boxing games ever, RUMBLEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!! Afro Thunder > Manny Pacman :P
NBA 2000 - Had a brilliant soundtrack and a quite good basketball game, although all the players a creepily smiling, even when seriosuly injured.

Can't really think of any others that I played at the moment. I'll come back and add a few for you if I remember

Subject Zero
09-12-2011, 08:00 AM
Cool alot of great games mentioned.

CTR was an awesome game and in my opinion the best cart game of all time.

Silent Hill is hella expensive on PS1 and its one im looking for thats under £6 but no luck yet.

Tekken 3 is the best Tekken game without a doubt. Looking to add all 3 to my collection.

Will have to look in the castlevania game i heard get things about the series before it was released on PS2

Yep own both Smackdown games the 2nd one is the best of the whole series and the 2nd best wrestling game of all time.

Rugrats was a classic game remember playing that way back in the day and i was surprised about how good a platform game it was.

And yeah looking at the FF series. Im currently bidding for number 7 but 8 is like £20 and really im looking for around the £5 mark maybe £7 if they are a must buy.

Subject Zero
09-12-2011, 08:05 AM
Just thought id tell you want i own so i dont get repeated suggestions.

Alien Trilogy
Apocalypse
Blade
Fighting Force
Medievil
Metal Gear Solid
Mission Impossible
Oddworld
Resident Evil x2
Resident Evil 2
Resident Evil 3
Tenchu 2
Tomb Raider
Tomb Raider 2
WWF Smackdown
WWF Smackdown 2

Not alot i know but ive only just started about 2 weeks ago.

Tommy Thunder
09-12-2011, 08:13 AM
You mentioned Tomb Raider and Tomb Raider 2, I'd add 3 and 4 too. The first 4 were brilliant.

Star Wars Episode 1: The Phantom Menace. Bad film, but great game.

Smackdown 2 is a must.

Hydro Thunder. This is a fantastic powerboat racing game with a twist. A lot of fun.

Can't think what else i had now lol.

Subject Zero
09-12-2011, 08:16 AM
You mentioned Tomb Raider and Tomb Raider 2, I'd add 3 and 4 too. The first 4 were brilliant.

Star Wars Episode 1: The Phantom Menace. Bad film, but great game.

Yeah i couldnt remeber how many Tomb Raiders were out for the PS1 and i am looking to get 3 and 4.

Do you actually mean the game based on the film or the game where you play as 1 of 5 jedi and play through the film as them. Plo Koon and Mace Windu were in it cant remember the 5th. I think its called Jedi Power Battle or something???

HeelTurn
09-12-2011, 08:41 AM
Yeah i couldnt remeber how many Tomb Raiders were out for the PS1 and i am looking to get 3 and 4.

Do you actually mean the game based on the film or the game where you play as 1 of 5 jedi and play through the film as them. Plo Koon and Mace Windu were in it cant remember the 5th. I think its called Jedi Power Battle or something???

There was 2 games, a one based on the movie where you played as Jedi and Amidala. Jedi Power Battles was the level based one where you chose on eof 5 jedis, thats worth a look to.

Subject Zero
09-12-2011, 08:43 AM
There was 2 games, a one based on the movie where you played as Jedi and Amidala. Jedi Power Battles was the level based one where you chose on eof 5 jedis, thats worth a look to.

Are they both good?

I owned Power Battles way back when and it was good but was the Movie game any good?

HeelTurn
09-12-2011, 08:47 AM
Are they both good?

I owned Power Battles way back when and it was good but was the Movie game any good?

Not in my opinion, Power Battles was a lot better, Phantom Menace was fiddly and just not very fun, but if its cheap it may be worth a look. There was a beat em up to called Masters of the Teras Kesai, or something, it had Luke on the front, but I never played that one.

Reichwulf
09-12-2011, 08:51 AM
Twisted metal is a must

Subject Zero
09-12-2011, 08:56 AM
Yeah i just bid for Twisted Metal. Can you remeber the name of the Star Wars like game?

Yeah i heard of that beat em up way back when it was released and only just thought of it now. But the reviews were AWFUL. So ill only get it for cheap.

HeelTurn
09-12-2011, 08:59 AM
Yeah i just bid for Twisted Metal. Can you remeber the name of the Star Wars like game?

Yeah i heard of that beat em up way back when it was released and only just thought of it now. But the reviews were AWFUL. So ill only get it for cheap.

Star Wars Demolition lol Yep had that one to, it was alright. Vigilante 8 is a similar game and was good fun to.

Subject Zero
09-12-2011, 09:01 AM
Star Wars Demolition lol Yep had that one to, it was alright. Vigilante 8 is a similar game and was good fun to.

Cool Thanks yeah just found it online £2 not bad.

Reichwulf
09-12-2011, 09:11 AM
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61melhpjRaL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

was a favorite of mine as a kid

Subject Zero
09-12-2011, 09:14 AM
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61melhpjRaL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

was a favorite of mine as a kid

Yeah i remember Gex that was one of my Fav too.

Although what i always found quite funny was the cast and script was different in USA and UK

Reichwulf
09-12-2011, 09:27 AM
WCW Mayhem would probably also be a good pick up, if you could find it

Tommy Thunder
09-12-2011, 09:29 AM

I meant the one based on the film. You play as Obi-Wan, Qui-Gon and Padme.
I found it a good little game and lot of fun.
I got it pre-owned for about £6, and that was a good 8 years ago. You should be able to get it cheaper these days.

KJ PUNK
09-12-2011, 10:26 AM
If you want the WORSE wrestling game, pick up WCW Thunder

Necroyeti
09-12-2011, 10:41 AM
You've came to the right man... I have a massive collection of both actual PS1 discs and ROM files for my emulator. I play the PS1 more than any other system, thanks mostly to the vast amount of awesome RPGs and fighting games.

PREPARE FOR MASSIVE LISTAGE!!! I own a great deal of these (either physically or electronically) but some are from memories of renting them 10+ years ago. I don't expect you to get all of these, or even most of these, but it should give you an idea of what to look for.

Abe's Odyssey
Bloody Roar
Bomberman World
Broken Sword (1)
Broken Sword 2 (1)
Bushido Blade
Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
Clock Tower 2 (2)
Command & Conquer (1)
Crash Bandicoot 3: Warped
Demo One (3)
Demolition Derby 2
Die Hard Trilogy
Dino Crisis
Doom (1)
Driver 2
Duke Nukem - Time to Kill
Duke Nukem - Land of the Babes
ECW - Anarchy Rulez
Ehrgeiz
Fade to Black
Fear Effect
Final Fantasy IX (4)
Gex: Enter The Gecko
Ghost in the Shell
Gran Turismo 2
Grand Theft Auto
Grand Theft Auto: London 1969 Mission Pack
Guilty Gear
Heart of Darkness
Hexen (1)
Intelligent Qube (5)
ISS Pro Evolution
Jersey Devil
Jojo's Bizarre Adventure
King of Fighters '99 (6)
Knockout Kings 2000
Loaded
LSD - Dream Emulator (7)
Mat Hoffman's Pro BMX
MDK
Medal of Honor
MediEvil
Megaman X5 (8)
Men in Black
Metal Gear Solid VR Missions
Micro Machines V3
Mortal Kombat II
Music 2000 (9)
NHL 2001
Nightmare Creatures
Nuclear Strike
Parappa the Rappa
Parasite Eve
Persona
Persona II
Point Blank (10)
Point Blank 2 (10)
Point Blank 3 (10)
Policenauts (11)
Premier Manager '98
Primal Rage
Quake II (1)
R-Type Delta
Re-loaded (12)
Ready 2 Rumble Boxing
Resident Evil Survivor (10)
Ridge Racer Type 4
Rival Schools
SaGa Frontier II
Silent Hill
Sim City 2000 (1)
Simpsons Wrestling (13)
Soul Blade
Soviet Strike
Spyro The Dragon
Star Ocean: The Second Story
Street Fighter Alpha 2
Street Fighter EX2 Plus
Suikoden
Suikoden II
Syphon Filter
Syphon Filter 2
Tekken 3
Tenchu: Stealth Assassins
Tenchu II
Theme Hospital
Thousand Arms
Time Crisis (10)
Time Crisis: Project Titan (10)
Tobal No. 1
Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six (1)
Tomb Raider II
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3 (14)
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 4 (14)
True Pinball (15)
Twisted Metal
Twisted Metal 2
Um Jammer Lammy (16)
Vagrant Story
Valkyrie Profile (6)
Vandal Hearts
vigilante 8
WarGames: Defcon 1
WCW-NWO Thunder
Wild Arms
Wipeout 2048
Worms
Worms Armageddon (17)
Worms World Party
WWF Smackdown! 2 - Know Your Role
X-COM: Terror From the Deep (1)
Xenogears

----------NOTES & ERRATA----------

(1) - Not recommended if you can get the PC versions instead.
(2) - It's just called Clock Tower in English, because we didn't get the actual first one
(3) - The demo disc that came packaged with the PS1. Youtube it and you'll nostalgia hard.
(4) - VII is obviously the favourite, but it's supposedly really expensive to buy. Not sure if IX is, but it's certainly an underrated installment.
(5) - Will likely cost you a mint if you're looking to buy an actual copy.
(6) - North American only. (IMPORTANT SIDENOTE: There may be others on the list I have listed that aren't available on PAL, and that's because I've probably only ever owned them as a ROM file... where PAL/NTSC/JP/U isn't all that important.)
(7) - Japanese, and incredibly hard to find - Probably best off downloading a ROM for this one.
(8) - X5 is the only PS1 one I've played, and I liked it. There are probably something like 10 or more of them though
(9) - Not really a game, it's one of those music sequencing thingymabobs.
(10) - Requires a Light Gun
(11) - Japanese only - This will require an English-patched ROM. Recommended for pre-MGS Hideo Kojima goodness.
(12) - Sequel to Loaded.
(13) - It's FUCKING TERRIBLE, but almost hilariously so.
(14) - I'm a big fan of the THPS franchise, and I had no idea there were PS1 versions of these until like, last year.
(15) - If you can find this, you're a legend. No one has seemed to heard of it, but it was one of my favourites growing up
(16) - Sequel/Spin-off of Parappa The Rappa
(17) - I might be wrong, but I remember something about the N64 version being supposedly superior, which is the version I owned it on.... Nonetheless one of my favourite games

Subject Zero
09-12-2011, 10:59 AM
Soul Blade and Clock Tower completely forgot about them.

Vagrant Story is the RPG i was thinking of its meant to be awesome. Although didnt make IGN's top 25 PS1 games.

Yeah i have Demo way still in the attic but no case. I was brought the original Playstation when i was about 6 or 7

And the cheapest i can find Castlevania for is £65 OUCH

HeelTurn
09-12-2011, 11:01 AM
Soul Blade and Clock Tower completely forgot about them.

Vagrant Story is the RPG i was thinking of its meant to be awesome. Although didnt make IGN's top 25 PS1 games.

Yeah i have Demo way still in the attic but no case. I was brought the original Playstation when i was about 6 or 7

And the cheapest i can find Castlevania for is £65 OUCH

You can pick it up on the PSP for cheap if you have 1, also its on the Xbox Live arcade, if you have a 360

Subject Zero
09-12-2011, 11:05 AM
You can pick it up on the PSP for cheap if you have 1, also its on the Xbox Live arcade, if you have a 360

Cool i am looking to actually get the PS1 verson with the Case and manual but when it comes to games like that i believe arcade is best.

I might do the same with Silent Hill im winning one for around £4 but if i dont win that the PS3 has the Silent Hill HD Collection coming out for £20.

Siracul
09-12-2011, 11:07 AM
Here are my favorite games for PS1 :

SoulBlade
Digimon World 1 & 2 (yes I absolutely LOVED digimon as a child)
Marvel Vs. Capcom
Syphon Filter
SmackDown 1 & 2
Digimon Rumble Arena
Final Fantasy VII (also if u have a PSP get Crisis Core if you like this game)
Tekken 3
Megaman X5 & X6 (but X5 is way better)

Those are the ones that come to my mind right now

Subject Zero
09-12-2011, 11:13 AM
Yeah im on the look out for Marvel vs Capcom but its soooo rare infact number 1 and 2 are.

Tommy Thunder
09-12-2011, 11:15 AM
Damn yes, I just remembered, Tony Hawkes PS 2 is awesome!!

Necroyeti
09-12-2011, 11:20 AM
Digimon World 1 & 2 (yes I absolutely LOVED digimon as a child)

Definitely one I missed out on my list.

samoan619
09-12-2011, 11:36 AM
The Suikoden series I-III
All the PS1 Final Fantasies VII - IX (including FF Tactics)
Persona
Ergheiz
Parrappa The Rappa
Legend of Dragoon
Both Tomba/Tombi I-II
Einhander
Tecmo's Deception
Um Jammer Lammy
Saga Frontier I & II
Vagrant Story
The original Legacy of Kain
Grand Theft Auto (the american one and the european sequel)
Lunar the complete story
Star Gladiator
Medal Gear Solid (Psycho Mantis anyone??)
Azure Dreams
Street Fighter Alpha 3
Tekken I-III
Grandia
Parasite Eve
Super Puzzle Fighter
Wild Arms

edit: I hella forgot to put Bushido Blade, Resident Evil 2 was great game for that time but I wouldnt recommend getting the game especially due to the tanking controls.. There's a lot of games I cant remember too, and I know im forgetting them, I think there was this quirky japanese game where you control a family and they are always in a dangerous situation..

Subject Zero
09-12-2011, 11:45 AM
Warhammer Dark Omen is one i just remembered.

Legacy of Kain Blood Omen is far better then Soul Reaver but its very rare. I own the 2nd on Xbox and completed it sooo many times.

Has any one player Warhammer The Shadow of the Horned Rat?

HeelTurn
09-12-2011, 11:48 AM
How could I forget Blood Omen, great game.

Steve Austin
09-12-2011, 12:01 PM
LMA Manager 2000, 2001, 2002.
Abe's Odyssey
Rugrats In Paris

Good call with Fighting Force ;)

Many others I can't think of them right now.

Subject Zero
09-12-2011, 12:05 PM
Good call with Fighting Force ;)

Yeah i had a m8 who had it when i was a kid and we use to play it alot round his.

Its abit like Streets of Rage in 3d.

Subject Zero
09-12-2011, 02:27 PM
Whats a good price to pay for Final Fantasy 7?

Necroyeti
09-12-2011, 03:02 PM
Whats a good price to pay for Final Fantasy 7?
It'll be a miracle if you find a copy for the actual retail price of £40.... you could be looking at up to £80, possibly more.

So I guess £50-£60 is a great price.... I don't know if the prices have mellowed somewhat nowadays, since you can apparently get it on Playstation Network for like a tenner now.

Subject Zero
09-12-2011, 03:07 PM
It'll be a miracle if you find a copy for the actual retail price of £40.... you could be looking at up to £80, possibly more.

So I guess £50-£60 is a great price.... .

WHAT? 2nd Hand???? 50-60?

HeelTurn
09-12-2011, 03:09 PM
WHAT? 2nd Hand???? 50-60?

I managed to find a copy in some second hand games store for a tenner a few years back, nowadays good luck, best off trying for Playstation network, only£7.99

Subject Zero
09-12-2011, 03:12 PM
I managed to find a copy in some second hand games store for a tenner a few years back, nowadays good luck, best off trying for Playstation network, only£7.99

WOW.

Well ermm is FF7 better the FF8 ive heard alot of conflicting opinions about which is best. Ive actually not played on either as the only 2 final fantasy games ive played on are ten and 13.

So how much is a good price for number 8?

Oh and i brought that Star Wars beat em up for 2.99 great condition meant to be an awful game though.

HeelTurn
09-12-2011, 03:18 PM
WOW.

Well ermm is FF7 better the FF8 ive heard alot of conflicting opinions about which is best. Ive actually not played on either as the only 2 final fantasy games ive played on are ten and 13.

So how much is a good price for number 8?

Oh and i brought that Star Wars beat em up for 2.99 great condition meant to be an awful game though.

Well the majority, hell vast majority prefer 7 and its Blade Runner feel to it. I myself prefer 8, again not going to be cheap to pick up, even if its not the most well loved FF.

Subject Zero
09-12-2011, 03:22 PM
Well the majority, hell vast majority prefer 7 and its Blade Runner feel to it. I myself prefer 8, again not going to be cheap to pick up, even if its not the most well loved FF.

Cool are they similar in gameplay at all? or are they completely different?

HeelTurn
09-12-2011, 03:24 PM
Cool are they similar in gameplay at all? or are they completely different?

Theyre both turn based like 10, but thats where the similarities end. In 7 you equip abilities, summons and power ups. In 8 you learn them through your summons, 8 is very intricate and confusing until you get used to it.

Subject Zero
09-12-2011, 03:26 PM
Theyre both turn based like 10, but thats where the similarities end. In 7 you equip abilities, summons and power ups. In 8 you learn them through your summons, 8 is very intricate and confusing until you get used to it.

Cool id imagine what ill do is get number 7 play through that and if i enjoy that one ill get number 8.

HeelTurn
09-12-2011, 03:28 PM
Cool id imagine what ill do is get number 7 play through that and if i enjoy that one ill get number 8.

You could try 9, its the easiest of the three and fun, again its different but still turn based. I know when it came out 7 put a lot of people off.

samoan619
09-12-2011, 04:34 PM
IX is a great one to start off with then if you like that one then work backwards.. Its not like they are continuations of each other, IX would be my recommendation for a start.. BTW I like FFVII the most out of the three but VIII is a great game and IX is really fun..

Necroyeti
09-12-2011, 04:40 PM
The best way to play the Final Fantasy games is to start with VI on the SNES... Start with the best!

Iron Ape
09-12-2011, 05:50 PM
If anyone is a fan of a Link to the Past, or other SNES titles like Secret of Mana and/or Secret of Evermore, then I highly recommend picking up Playstation's Alundra.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=y-QDhiAU8Hg

Necroyeti
09-13-2011, 08:09 AM
This thread is awesome, I've wishlisted more games from the last few pages than I could ever possibly play.

Fuck the next-gen!

Tommy Thunder
09-13-2011, 08:26 AM
This thread is awesome, I've wishlisted more games from the last few pages than I could ever possibly play.

Fuck the next-gen!

Old school, is cool!!
http://rlv.zcache.com/old_school_is_cool_tshirt-p235021626543843122qrdq_400.jpg

Necroyeti
09-13-2011, 08:57 AM
Old school, is cool!!
http://rlv.zcache.com/old_school_is_cool_tshirt-p235021626543843122qrdq_400.jpg
VHS 4eva

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBW_pCd_ydM

Tommy Thunder
09-13-2011, 09:08 AM
VHS 4eva

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBW_pCd_ydM

VHS for the win!!

Goldust22
09-13-2011, 04:54 PM
Today i brought:-

Battle Arena Toshiden 3
Crash Bandicoot
Crash Bandicoot 3
Crash Team Racing
Fade To Black
Fear Effect
Ready 2 Rumble 2
South Park Valley
Spryo 2
Syphon Filter
Time Crisis
Tomb Raider 2
World is Not Enough

All for £13

I also brought this of ebay ive never heard of it has anybody played it before?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8eK2okiiXI

Goldust22
09-13-2011, 04:57 PM
And i got from ebay

Tekken
Tekken 3
Alone in The Dark 2
Tomb Raider 3
Martain Gothic
Final Fantasy 8 (12.49)
X-Files The Game
Tenchu
Tomb Raider 4
Duke Nukem
Duke Nukem Land of the Babes
Evil Dead Hail to the King
Fighting Force 2
Gran Turismo
WCW Mayhem

Siracul
09-14-2011, 01:53 PM
Am I the only one who played both Soul Reaver & Blood Omen & couldn't bare finishing Blood Omen to its end ? :O
I mean I love the LoK series but in my humble opinion and that's an unpopular opinion Blood Omen 2 was the worst of the series followed by Blood Omen and when Raziel was introduced into the series that's when it caught my eye and I said "Damn that's good."

Also :
Syphon Filter is a game I enjoyed to some extent.
Crash Team Racing as mentioned by almost everyone
I can't compare FF7 & FF8 cuz i haven't played 8 but in my opinion FF7 is the best RPG i have ever played and I am a HUGE RPG gamer.

Subject Zero
09-14-2011, 02:20 PM
Am I the only one who played both Soul Reaver & Blood Omen & couldn't bare finishing Blood Omen to its end ? :O
I mean I love the LoK series but in my humble opinion and that's an unpopular opinion Blood Omen 2 was the worst of the series followed by Blood Omen and when Raziel was introduced into the series that's when it caught my eye and I said "Damn that's good."

Kain >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Raziel.

End of

Soul Reaver 1 was a good game better then Blood Omen 1

But Blood Omen 2 is greater the both the Soul Reaver games.

Siracul
09-14-2011, 03:08 PM
Kain >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Raziel.

End of

Soul Reaver 1 was a good game better then Blood Omen 1

But Blood Omen 2 is greater the both the Soul Reaver games.

Blood Omen 2 was mediocre in both gameplay (which was very glitchy) & graphics
Soul Reaver had the edge over it in every way shape & form
As for Reaver 2 & Defiance these games speak for themselves in terms of gameplay & graphics.

Edit : Also you won't see me arguing that Kain is better than Raziel as a character, Kain has more background story & is more familiar with the series' fans therefore he is destined to be the better of the two in most people's eyes :D
Still the series weren't as great till Raziel came in he added that little detail the game needed IMO.

Blood Omen 2 was an absolute and utter disappointment in my opinion.

Subject Zero
09-14-2011, 03:16 PM
Blood Omen 2 was mediocre in both gameplay (which was very glitchy) & graphics
Soul Reaver had the edge over it in every way shape & form
As for Reaver 2 & Defiance these games speak for themselves in terms of gameplay & graphics.

Blood Omen 2 was an absolute and utter disappointment in my opinion.

Defiance was rather poor.

The plot made no sense and was far worse then Blood Omen and even Soul Reaver kinda why they stopped that series was because that game was sooo piss poor.

And have to disagree with you completely graphics arent everything the entire storyline of Blood Omen 2 was what set it apart from the series it was truley excellent. And i believe Kain was one of the first Anti-Heroes to have a game.

The Gameplay wasnt to everyones taste but i enjoyed it Soul Reaver was move items here where as Blood Omen required some stealth and using the right power to get through the section.

Plus the boss fights were very good.

Siracul
09-14-2011, 03:20 PM
Defiance was rather poor.

The plot made no sense and was far worse then Blood Omen and even Soul Reaver kinda why they stopped that series was because that game was sooo piss poor.

And have to disagree with you completely graphics arent everything the entire storyline of Blood Omen 2 was what set it apart from the series it was truley excellent. And i believe Kain was one of the first Anti-Heroes to have a game.

The Gameplay wasnt to everyones taste but i enjoyed it Soul Reaver was move items here where as Blood Omen required some stealth and using the right power to get through the section.

Plus the boss fights were very good.

I guess we're just going to agree to disagree :D

Necroyeti
09-14-2011, 04:23 PM
I can't compare FF7 & FF8 cuz i haven't played 8 but in my opinion FF7 is the best RPG i have ever played and I am a HUGE RPG gamer.
The FF7 vs. FF8 debate basically boils down to which game mechanic you prefer, because they are played quite differently.

To try and explain further:

In FF7, the stats and HP etc of each enemy are fixed values that do not change regardless of which level your party is... for example, the first boss with always have 800HP, even if you were to use a gameshark to make your characters lvl 99. What this means is that, if you get stuck at a certain point of the game because the enemies/bosses are too powerful, you can just grind up a few levels by killing random mooks for EXP on the world map - levelling up increases the HP and stats of your party, making them more powerful. In fact, it's not uncommon for FF7 beginners to grind constantly and spam the attack command for a good majority of the game, thinking little about using strategy. As far as materia goes - applying materia generally reduces most of your stats (like HP/atk/str... while raising some magic-type stats) but allows you to use various spells in return providing you have the MP. For example there are the usual elemental-magic spells that you generally equip to mage-types in RPGs, but there are also summons, (super-powerful attacks, but equipping them severely weakens the character) stat-enhancers (HP-plus, MP-plus etc) and ones that grant extra commands. (steal, 2x cut, throw etc) Most players tend to slap on their high-powered materia equally around their party and think little of the consequence since they can always just level-up and become stronger, but strategic materia use greatly compliments the power of your party if you know what you're doing, and the game can be difficult without it. (However, it's very possible for advanced FF7 players to finish the game using *only* materia - there are even guides on the internet for a command-materia only game - or without using any at all - which I am currently in the process of doing, but I've reached a brick wall with the Temple of the Ancients)

You probably read the above and thought "well, duh", right? Well, FF8 does things a little bit differently. The stats and HP of every single enemy in the game is essentially rubber-banded to be proportionate to the level of your party. This means that if you used a gameshark to make your party lvl 99 at the beginning of the game, the stats of the very first enemies you fight in the game will be scaled to your characters, likely resulting in an epic 10-minute battle to kill the thing. The purpose of this dynamic difficulty is to essentially eliminate the "level grinding" mechanic of RPG playing that made FF7 a rather easy RPG for most players and also made late-80's/ early-90s JRPGs notoriously frustrating - simply levelling up your party will NOT give you an advantage over the enemy. The way in which you make your party stronger in FF8 is by using the junctioning system. It's tricky to explain, but it involves "juctioning" a Guardian Force to your characters similarly to the Espers in FF6, and "drawing" magic (from enemies or from the field) and junctioning those to your character's stats. For example, haste will greatly increase your speed stat, and ultima magic will increase any stat more than fire magic would. Such junctioning and refining of magic (as well as weapon upgrades and the card mini-game) are far more important in making your party stronger than levelling up, which actually seems to benefit the enemies more than you most of the time. In fact, it's completely possible to keep your characters at like level 7 for the entire game and just level up your GF and junction high-end magic - and it makes the game EASIER.

Many people who play FF8 after FF7 get completely confused by this game mechanic (I was for many, many years... I owned FF8 from its release, hated it, and didn't fully give it a 2nd chance a few years ago) then find the game difficult when they try levelling up and spamming the attack command at enemies. It *is* a totally unique game mechanic for the FF series, love it or hate it.

Also, I think some players (such as myself) prefer the heavy cyperpunk and dystopian influenced feel of Final Fantasy 7. Plus it had better music!

Necroyeti
09-14-2011, 04:38 PM
Reader's Digest version:

You can play thorough Final Fantasy 7 with little strategy other than buying the best equipment/materia and levelling-up when you get stuck... Final Fantasy 8 requires more planning and strategy using a rather complicated game mechanic, but once you get your head around it, it can be a most satisfying game indeed.

Subject Zero
09-14-2011, 05:08 PM
Reader's Digest version:

You can play thorough Final Fantasy 7 with little strategy other than buying the best equipment/materia and levelling-up when you get stuck... Final Fantasy 8 requires more planning and strategy using a rather complicated game mechanic, but once you get your head around it, it can be a most satisfying game indeed.

Damn i just brought 8 looks like its going to be a challange.

BTW Just played Tekken 3 for the first time in YEARS and its soo ahead of its time its unreal. I can see why its considered the best Beat em Up of all time by some critics and gamers.

Subject Zero
09-15-2011, 10:40 AM
LOL i brought Fighting Force and it arrived this morning.

No instruction Manuel, Disc so badly scratched the music dosent work and the case had a massive crack on it and the disc holder was smashed to pieces.

Condition claimed to be very good and postage cost me £2.50. So i left neutral feedback instead of negative because it only cost 3.49. And i just checked my ebay mail and i got this:-

Hi thanks for your neutral feedback. The box was fine when it left, it wasnt badly damaged, ps1 boxes are 2 a penny anyway and the packaging was tape??!! and the problem is??? what do you want it wrapped in, a gold box!
Anyhow I hope you enjoy your product.
many thanks.

I thought it was hilarious.

HeelTurn
09-15-2011, 02:33 PM
Final Fantasy 8 is more difficult, but its well worth the time you put into it. Ill be honest though it took me a few hours to get into it, but when I did I loved it.

Recently purchased Gex: Deep Cover Gecko on the Playstation Network.

Subject Zero
09-15-2011, 05:03 PM
Just won FF7 for £11 LOL

Asherdelampyr
09-15-2011, 05:41 PM
so not reading all of that, so Ill put my list here

Final Fantasy Origins
RE 2
Tony Hawk Pro Skater
Breath of Fire 3
Legend of Dragoon
Final Fantasy 7
Final Fantasy 8
Bushido Blade
Armored Core

Subject Zero
09-15-2011, 05:43 PM
so not reading all of that, so Ill put my list here

Final Fantasy Origins
RE 2
Tony Hawk Pro Skater
Breath of Fire 3
Legend of Dragoon
Final Fantasy 7
Final Fantasy 8
Bushido Blade
Armored Core

Bushido Blade is one ive only recently become aware of. What game would you compare it to? Ive still no idea what the game is like.

Asherdelampyr
09-15-2011, 05:49 PM
Bushido Blade is one ive only recently become aware of. What game would you compare it to? Ive still no idea what the game is like.
That's the thing. I can't
I mean, in some ways its like a 3d fighting game, but with much more realistic attacks.... its like if japanese dueling ever became a televised sport, and they made a game about it

Subject Zero
09-15-2011, 05:51 PM
That's the thing. I can't
I mean, in some ways its like a 3d fighting game, but with much more realistic attacks.... its like if japanese dueling ever became a televised sport, and they made a game about it

so Kengo Zero?

Asherdelampyr
09-15-2011, 05:52 PM
so Kengo Zero?
Haven't played that one

Subject Zero
09-15-2011, 05:57 PM
Haven't played that one

You play as one of several Legendary Samurai warriors and you live out some events but the combat is like 3 hits and your dead so parrying and blocking and countering are vital

Asherdelampyr
09-15-2011, 06:03 PM
You play as one of several Legendary Samurai warriors and you live out some events but the combat is like 3 hits and your dead so parrying and blocking and countering are vital

sounds fun
yeah, sort of like that

pauadrian
09-15-2011, 07:23 PM
Gran turismo

Asherdelampyr
09-15-2011, 08:55 PM
also, T'ai Fu: Wrath of the Tiger
its a 2d side-scroller with a martial arts bent, oh, and you play a tiger

Subject Zero
09-20-2011, 01:11 PM
Is Parasite Eve II worth getting?

Asherdelampyr
09-20-2011, 01:42 PM
never played Parasite
however Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver is fucking balls-out awesome

Siracul
09-20-2011, 02:11 PM
never played Parasite
however Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver is fucking balls-out awesome

I second that

Necroyeti
03-08-2012, 05:40 PM
Bumping, because I need help identifying a Playstation game from the early days of the system:

It was a first-person 3D platformer in which you play as a rabbit. I'm fairly sure you played a rabbit, since you could see what looks like long white feet in the lower part of your field of vision. Anyway, the goal is to navigate obstacles and floating islands and shit to reach the goal, usually at the highest point of the levels. I think you may have had to do something else as well, like shooting enemies or popping balloons or something.

It's definitely not one of the games I listed on page 2, and none of the other games mentioned seem to be it. My memory of the game is pretty fuzzy since I've only played it once, for a couple of hours, about 16-17 years ago.

Y2Jryder
03-08-2012, 05:42 PM
also, T'ai Fu: Wrath of the Tiger
its a 2d side-scroller with a martial arts bent, oh, and you play a tiger
oh hell yeah(H)

Steve Austin
03-08-2012, 06:02 PM
Bumping, because I need help identifying a Playstation game from the early days of the system:

It was a first-person 3D platformer in which you play as a rabbit. I'm fairly sure you played a rabbit, since you could see what looks like long white feet in the lower part of your field of vision. Anyway, the goal is to navigate obstacles and floating islands and shit to reach the goal, usually at the highest point of the levels. I think you may have had to do something else as well, like shooting enemies or popping balloons or something.

It's definitely not one of the games I listed on page 2, and none of the other games mentioned seem to be it. My memory of the game is pretty fuzzy since I've only played it once, for a couple of hours, about 16-17 years ago.

I know this game I think.

Could you change control into like a sheep or something? If so I know it and will find the name!

As for a collection, my brother collects and has a huge collection, I buy him them for his birthday and Christmas as well :)

Iron Ape
03-08-2012, 07:53 PM

Jumping Flash, man. Jumping Flash.

Necroyeti
03-08-2012, 07:59 PM
I know this game I think.

Could you change control into like a sheep or something? If so I know it and will find the name!

I don't think so, no... the whole "changing into a sheep" think sounds an lot like a different game called Silicon Valley for the N64.

Maybe it was possible in this game I'm looking for too, but like I say, my memory is very fuzzy on the whole thing.

I think you also had to collect items (carrots?) before you could reach the goal and complete the level.

Iron Ape
03-08-2012, 08:01 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVttXJVqBuw&feature=player_detailpage

Necroyeti
03-08-2012, 08:02 PM
Jumping Flash, man. Jumping Flash.

YES, that's the very fella. Nostalgia came rushing back as soon as I put that into youtube. Cheers you bloody legend you!

Steve Austin
03-08-2012, 08:04 PM
I don't think so, no... the whole "changing into a sheep" think sounds an lot like a different game called Silicon Valley for the N64.

Maybe it was possible in this game I'm looking for too, but like I say, my memory is very fuzzy on the whole thing.

I think you also had to collect items (carrots?) before you could reach the goal and complete the level.

My memory is fuzzy too, was a long time ago I played it.

Just reminded and yes it is Silicon Valley! Thank you! You are a god to me! :D

wrestlingfan66513
03-08-2012, 09:16 PM
Xenogear
Persona 2: Eternal Punishment

Great games