PDA

View Full Version : What can WWE do to make Randy Orton more likable?

Wrestling_Deluxe_08
09-10-2011, 03:03 PM
I figured this topic would make a nice little discussion. What are some things WWE can do to help people to accept him more as a top superstar in WWE?

After watching the Randy Orton DVD, I thought it did a very good job at humanizing him and making him easier to relate to. If WWE were to incorporate more of who he really is into his on-screen character, I think I could get behind him more. I'm honestly not a huge fan of the one-dimensional "Viper" persona. All he does is say, "My name is Randy Orton", move around like a snake, and get angry. His in-ring ability is very good, but his character is .... not so good, honestly.

Also, what annoys me most about Randy Orton is the fact that WWE is overbooking him like a bitch. He constantly wins every single match and dominates a lot of his opponents, making them look weak. Has he done that to EVERYBODY? No, he does put on good matches that have made some people look strong. Dolph Ziggler, Christian, and recently Cody Rhodes. However, I do feel the fact that WWE always puts him in the main event on EVERY show and has him win EVERY match while dominating most of his opponents makes it hard for me to truly get behind him. They need to humanize him more and have him put on more competitive matches and even lose one or two matches once in a while. I wouldn't mind him winning a lot of matches if they were competitive.

Your thoughts?

ELNIOJR
09-10-2011, 03:19 PM
Lose (at least) ONE match each month!
I speak for myself, of course...

VanHooliganX
09-10-2011, 03:21 PM
I think most people enjoy him being a heel so thats a possible option. I also love the thought of him losing a match monthly would be good, but i'd like to add he loses it cleanly as well.

wrestlingfan66513
09-10-2011, 03:23 PM
Make him heel. He was a much better heel and Christian should have stayed face. Both got more reactions that way.

AOF666
09-10-2011, 03:30 PM
Personally for me, nothing. He hasn't really changed, even if he is not taking drugs, he is still an a-hole!

Necroyeti
09-10-2011, 03:32 PM
MORE likeable?

Are you seriously implying he isn't already over as fuck with the "WWE UNIVERSE"?

clrj3514
09-10-2011, 03:34 PM
The only problem with making him heel is there's heels everywhere in WWE.

Wade Barrett 1979
09-10-2011, 03:37 PM
Make him heel. He was a much better heel and Christian should have stayed face. Both got more reactions that way.

The thing with Orton though is that he was a heel but wasn't made a face in the conventional way, he was basically made a face by the reactions he was getting from the crowds! He's moved in to being a disambiguous character, he's loved by the audience whilst still retaining some heel traits! He's not a tweener as such, he is more or less what Stone Cold was, with the audience!

ratedy2jayz
09-10-2011, 03:39 PM
Randy Orton is easily the most over person in the WWE right now.. (to the live crowds)

Russo swerve
09-10-2011, 03:41 PM
Randy is the man fuck the haters

Wade Barrett 1979
09-10-2011, 03:52 PM

He really is! For some reason people just love to build up others, just so they can knock them down! I think Randal is doing fine as he is!!

The Expendable
09-10-2011, 04:06 PM
Randy doesn't need anything else, the guy has everything to be a top dog but the IWC has some hability to hate the people who's on top of the game in the last week I have seen fans bashing CM PUNK

Mikeyboy7777777
09-10-2011, 04:12 PM
Lose (at least) ONE match each month!
I speak for myself, of course...

I thought you got GOT everytime randy orton or john cena was in the title of a thread?:P glad you overcame your illness

Steve Austin
09-10-2011, 04:20 PM
It's a little off topic but it been nice seeing the heel stand tall at the end of Smackdown even when they are up against Orton. Its a shame that it can't happen on RAW with Cena a bit more often but it makes the feuds a little more exciting and makes me think Orton may actually lose.

Rilla
09-10-2011, 04:25 PM
So, how to make the IWC like him?

Take him off TV for months, put someone else in his place, let me make a web show, they'll beg for him back.

steveorton
09-10-2011, 04:33 PM

Quoted for the f-cking truth Swerve

Russo swerve
09-10-2011, 04:34 PM
I prefer randy or that clown cena anyday

steveorton
09-10-2011, 04:37 PM

Yea lol This is truth

Wrestling_Deluxe_08
09-10-2011, 06:12 PM
Wow, there are people who actually believe nothing is wrong with Orton? o_O I'd like to know what is it about Orton that would make you say that. I mean, I'm not trying to degrade you for liking him, because I really don't care who people like.

I just want to know what's the big fuss about him and what would make you guys say, "there is nothing wrong with him and he is awesome."

Dubs
09-10-2011, 06:14 PM

Russo Swerve has struck again!

BlazersDozen
09-10-2011, 06:23 PM
Only problem I have is his promos. If he goes back to his intense promos then he'll be one of the best ever. I see that he's always main event & winning but I notice that he actually tries to put guys over at least a little bit. Not like Cena who will kick out of 50 finishers then win. Orton will get beat up inbetween his signature moves then make a dramatic lead to the RKO.

dai_haz
09-10-2011, 06:33 PM
The thing with Orton though is that he was a heel but wasn't made a face in the conventional way, he was basically made a face by the reactions he was getting from the crowds! He's moved in to being a disambiguous character, he's loved by the audience whilst still retaining some heel traits! He's not a tweener as such, he is more or less what Stone Cold was, with the audience!

stone cold was a tweener, and yh he is, thats how u got away with taking out jericho, if him and ustin arent tweeners i dont know what is,

and i think john cena is the greatest tweener of all, without trying to half hate him half love him, and he fights heels and faces exactly the same

RKF
09-10-2011, 06:38 PM
sack him, he is so boring.

SLEEPY LOCO1
09-10-2011, 06:41 PM
I am actually some one who already like Orton, so imo the only thing that can make him better is going back to being a heel.

Ares91
09-10-2011, 11:47 PM
Maybe let someone have an actual clean win over him?

zrdt12
09-10-2011, 11:52 PM
He needs to win every single match in the rest of time by first hitting an RKO. Then picking up his opponent and Angle Slamming them. Then tell Angle to suck it while doing his super leg split jump in victory.

pauadrian
09-11-2011, 12:45 AM
legend killer needs to come back

CrowOfMurders
09-11-2011, 02:12 AM
stone cold was a tweener, and yh he is, thats how u got away with taking out jericho, if him and ustin arent tweeners i dont know what is,

and i think john cena is the greatest tweener of all, without trying to half hate him half love him, and he fights heels and faces exactly the same

No offense,but if you think Y2J and Cena are tweeners,I don't think you understand the concept of tweeners. Y2J dabbles in tweener status when transitioning b/w his face and heel turns,but he usually b/cs full on face,or full on heel. I guess you can consider his Raw debut and 1st Y2J character as a tweener,but he went pretty hard babyface,and then heel. His return as "codebreaker" Y2J was a pure face run against Orton,until they flipped the "Save Us" gimmick to make him heel. Tweeners are more like the SCSA and Samoa Joe,they don't really align with faces or heels and do w/e the hell they want. They get cheered even when they use heel tactics,but don't try to be a "good guy" usually sticking to their goal of attaining a championship or going against a particular superstar or organization. In that consideration,Orton is more of an antihero face,rather than pure tweener,but the fact that he'll RKO anybody around adds to his tweener cred,but he's pretty over regardless.

Calling Cena a tweener,is an insult to all the great tweeners in history,maybe you were joking and referring to the fact that 1/2 the people hate him,and 1/2 cheer,but his gimmick has been the same for SOOO damn long. Even his "hustle,loyalty,respect" shtick could be adjusted to get him heat(like they've done with Angle's 3 I's,Y2J's "save us",and Punk's "SES", but they keep him xactly the same,to keep the kids happy. He just makes douchebag comments at times,but has no heel tendencies and there's nothing exciting about what he does. So unfortunately,no,Cena is not the greatest tweener of all.

On topic,I really can't see anything wrong with Orton either, can the people who think he needs to change elaborate what they want to see different? I agree that he shouldn't win EVERY match,but besides that,I dunno :S Unlike Cena,Orton's gimmick isn't as cookiecutter Hogan part 2. His matches have been great the last couple of months,but I really wish he was chasing the title from Christian rather than holding it. It would really make his character far more effective. Can't be a predator if everyone is hunting for your belt.

machoo mann
09-11-2011, 02:39 AM
legend killer needs to come back

dunno about that, Orton was a upcoming young superstar while he used the "Legend Killer" gimmick and now when he is older and definitely established I don't think he needs the gimmick anymore. It was entertaining and the cockiness suited him but the "Viper" gimmick fits him better now. If anything, he could bring some more moves to his moveset like a crossbody or something high risk/exciting. He can pull those off for sure, the guy is one of the most athletic wrestlers in the 'E.

maar13
09-11-2011, 04:50 AM
It is not that there is something actually wrong with him, because the way he is, he is over with the crowd and has tons of fans, personally I am not one but can see why he has so many.

The issue I think most people around the IWC has, and maybe some outside of it to, is that in the last 3 years, just like Cena for the last 6, he has been really over exposed and at the top a lot of the time, and with the over saturation of PPVs it shows even more. While some can argue that it was like that all the time before, well it was not, but we need to also take on account that they didn't have as many hours of programming and there was competition, something that is not really present today (All wrestling shows are on different days, so none compete directly with the other).

Orton as a character of course has his issues, like any character, like a wrestler he does too, he is a reliable character and a reliable performer, but those little flaws on him and in the WWE product in general are part of why the WWE cannot out grow its current fandom. I mean if you want to keep the business as it is His character is very good, Randy is good, but if you want to out grow the current audience WWE has, they need to show a little more variety of characters at the top (title or not) and stop over exposing the man all the time.

I mean if you look at it, Orton right now is the only One who has a real feud at Smackdown (with Henry of course), but no other guy there has one for real, I mean, Sheamus has a feud with Henry, but it is on hold because of the title, and none else has one, no Barret, no Bryan, none (Sorry, at this stage Divas doesn't count because they are on both shows), so there is nothing really to care about but Orton VS Title contender.

So in general, Orton has not may flaws but they need to stop pushing him so hard to be every where every time.

zapphoman
09-11-2011, 12:01 PM
Only problem I have is his promos. If he goes back to his intense promos then he'll be one of the best ever. I see that he's always main event & winning but I notice that he actually tries to put guys over at least a little bit. Not like Cena who will kick out of 50 finishers then win. Orton will get beat up inbetween his signature moves then make a dramatic lead to the RKO.

^^^^^this right here. I'm sorry but Randy Orton shouldn't be able to do that. "Oh I just got hit by a finisher, I guess I'll just come out of nowhere and hit the RKO while they are picking me up." It makes the person he is wrestling look weak as hell. I noticed he doesn't do it anymore so that is good.

I agree with the person who said his promos need to be more intense. That is really the only problem I have with him right now in which is surprising seeing as I am one of the biggest haters of Randy Orton on this site.

Iron Ape
09-11-2011, 12:16 PM
Two words: monkey sidekick.

K2Jelly
09-11-2011, 12:18 PM
Two words: monkey sidekick.

Nah. Ted Dibiase's already taken.

Murphdogg4
09-11-2011, 06:33 PM
Have him appear on every raw and RKO Cena each week for no reason at all. It would also help if he RKO'd every Diva except Beth and nat. I'm pretty sure those two things would get him over with eveyone.

Sully
09-11-2011, 07:36 PM
You mean Orton isn't already like-able enough?

Brewer 314
09-12-2011, 12:03 AM
Randy Orton is easily the most over person in the WWE right now.. (to the live crowds)

Anybody who thinks Randy Orton is less than stellar has too much time on their hands.

zapphoman
09-12-2011, 12:15 AM
Anybody who thinks Randy Orton is less than stellar has too much time on their hands.

I guess I have too much time on my hands then.

THE_CRIPPLER
09-12-2011, 12:20 AM
I perfer Orton as a face, his matches are Better by 10 fold as a face.... but he is booked so one sided its ridcules... I think Orton as lost 2 match this 6 monthes, One to Sheamuse after Christian cost him the non title match and 1 time to Christian by DQ.... and if im not mistaken he lost a total of 5 matches this whole year and 3 of them were to Miz, one was a tables match and the other 2 were after Nexus beat him down.

Orton is booked so ridcules, he doesnt have to beat Punk and Christian 5 times in a row like they are no comption... if they are gonna lose every match to Orton then only book them to face Orton twice.