PDA

View Full Version : Managers: Who needs them and who should they be?

Spear-O-Matic
09-08-2011, 02:08 PM
During the 80s and 90s managers were a huge fixture in wrestling storylines. They helped build stories, develop characters, get certain wrestlers over and spoke for those who struggled with promos. Today, though, the manager is all but extinct, with Vicki Guerrero being the last true manager. It could be said that, without managers, a lot of main event talent has stagnated and become trapped in the black hole that is the mid and lower cards. So here's my question for you - who should become managers? Who should be brought back to manage? And most of all, who could use the push from a manager?

Personally? I'd say that William Regal needs to step away from the NXT announce table and take Drew McIntyre under his wing. The guy has all the talent in the world, yet is still struggling to make an appearance on WWE TV. Regal could be just the man to get him back on Television.

Automatic
09-08-2011, 02:11 PM
Tyson Kidd needs Vickie Guerrero.

68wPayne
09-08-2011, 02:12 PM
My thoughts on who really NEEDS a manager. Jack Swagger- Not bad on the mic but no one wants to hear his lisp. Tyson Kidd- Great talent, but I don't think he can talk. Otunga and McGillicutty - If they are going to stay together as a team they need a manager. I've been saying have Cole be a modern Bobby Heenan with a whole stable of talent.

Spear-O-Matic
09-08-2011, 02:15 PM
Tyson Kidd needs Vickie Guerrero.

Really? Because I would love to see Bret come in and manage him. Without DH Smith, Tyson's link to the Hart family is incredibly weak and has really become an after thought. Having Bret come back in a managerial role would not just help strengthen that link but really get Tyson over. Not to mention the push he would get (from the fans) for having a HOF'er managing him.

68wPayne
09-08-2011, 02:19 PM
I say Michael Hays come back and be a manager. He is the reason the Hardy Boyz became relevant in the first place

Rilla
09-08-2011, 02:20 PM
His link to the Hart Family is Natty, so long as they stay together.

Tyson needs a manager
Sin needs a manager
Swagger

Spear-O-Matic
09-08-2011, 02:20 PM
I say Michael Hays come back and be a manager. He is the reason the Hardy Boyz became relevant in the first place

I'd say they could make John Lauranitis manager someone, but he'd be the first manager to need a manager.

KJ PUNK
09-08-2011, 02:21 PM
I wouldn't be opposed to Cole having a heel stable (headed by the Miz and R-Truth) especially if it took him away from the announce table.

Automatic
09-08-2011, 02:22 PM
Really? Because I would love to see Bret come in and manage him. Without DH Smith, Tyson's link to the Hart family is incredibly weak and has really become an after thought. Having Bret come back in a managerial role would not just help strengthen that link but really get Tyson over. Not to mention the push he would get (from the fans) for having a HOF'er managing him.

Yes, but Kidd is a heel now, so in that case he needs Vickie, if he was a face it would def. be Bret Hart, if he wanted.

Reichwulf
09-08-2011, 02:23 PM
I wouldn't be opposed to Cole having a heel stable (headed by the Miz and R-Truth) especially if it took him away from the announce table.

That would be pretty cool, and would fit into how much he "loves" the miz

Asherdelampyr
09-08-2011, 02:36 PM
People I would love to see as Managers
Michael Cole - He gets so much heat stoves are suing him for gimmick infringement
William Regal - I've always been a fan of Regal, but I don't want to see him in the ring anymore, however he can cut one hell of a promo
Booker T - Tell me this wouldn't be entertaining as hell, and a good way to get him off commentary
Michael P.S. Hayes - allegations of racism not withstanding, he does know how to make a great manager, especially in the tag team scene
Zack Ryder - As far as I can see Zack's greatest feature is his personality, yet wrestling-wise he is constantly lost in the shuffle, he has the charisma to make a great manager/stable leader

People who would do well with a manager
Air Boom - 2 guys who are gold in the ring, with the right manager they could really shine
Tyson Kidd - Another guy who is a walking highlight reel that just needs a mouthpiece to bring him some personality
Daniel Bryan - Yes he was king of the indies all by himself, but his gimmick doesn't seem to be working so well in WWE. He is a talented athlete, no doubt, and with the right manager, the WWE can embrace him as he deserves.
Jack Swagger - I think the main failure of his WHC run was that he cut his own promos, they were horrible.

kashani1984
09-08-2011, 02:49 PM
Michael Cole's - Cole Miners - Miz, Truth, Swagger (as he teamed wih Swagger)
Roddy Piper - Drew McIntyre
William Regal - Wade Barrett, which would be a ready made fued between Wade & Drew with maybe Piper & Regal getting involved.7
Vickie Guerrero - Dolph Ziggler
Mason Ryan bodyguard to Alberto Del Rio. ADR would be better off with a bodyguard figure, so he play the cowardly heel and keep the strap for a long reign.
Id like to see some Valet's aswell, as in a Diva being manager to someone, mybe tyson Kidd, and have some influence on his mtches like Debra did with her "puppies" but obv not get her tits out, maybe just climb on the apron and distract opponents and maybe kiss them at most, allowing Tyson to get the cheap victory.

Asherdelampyr
09-08-2011, 02:51 PM
Michael Cole's - Cole Miners - Miz, Truth, Swagger (as he teamed wih Swagger)
Roddy Piper - Drew McIntyre
William Regal - Wade Barrett, which would be a ready made fued between Wade & Drew with maybe Piper & Regal getting involved.7
Vickie Guerrero - Dolph Ziggler
Mason Ryan bodyguard to Alberto Del Rio. ADR would be better off with a bodyguard figure, so he play the cowardly heel and keep the strap for a long reign.
Id like to see some Valet's aswell, as in a Diva being manager to someone, mybe tyson Kidd, and have some influence on his mtches like Debra did with her "puppies" but obv not get her tits out, maybe just climb on the apron and distract opponents and maybe kiss them at most, allowing Tyson to get the cheap victory.
I like all of these ideas
and I really want to see Roddy Piper back with the WWE full time, cause he is awesome

68wPayne
09-08-2011, 02:56 PM
Speaking of Piper, you should check out some of the interviews with Dean Ambrose in FCW. I think his name was Jon Moxley or something like that in the indies. I feel shades of Piper when he gives promos, something about his intensity and his eyes when he gives them.

ELNIOJR
09-08-2011, 02:58 PM
I say Michael Cole + Tyson Kidd! That would be money. A few months ago I thought they were gonna put Kidd with Matt Striker, I saw so money right there, but somehow they Dropped it.

BTW, The Miz and R-Truth with a Manager? Really? Really?

Theusernamepokeofdoom
09-08-2011, 03:13 PM
Ever since Yoshi Tatsu debuted his new attire..I say..Tajiri or maybe that other dude who debuted in 2004 and was like carried by people on one of those king things, or maybe! If they want it to be cute instead of an aggressive heel Jap invasion, they could find him an English Mentor..William Regal or maybe Zach Ryder (Could be effective if they want him to go the comedy direction)

68wPayne
09-08-2011, 03:28 PM
Ever since Yoshi Tatsu debuted his new attire..I say..Tajiri or maybe that other dude who debuted in 2004 and was like carried by people on one of those king things, or maybe! If they want it to be cute instead of an aggressive heel Jap invasion, they could find him an English Mentor..William Regal or maybe Zach Ryder (Could be effective if they want him to go the comedy direction)

WWE version of World Elite maybe.
Tyson Kidd - Canada
Yoshi Tatsu - Japan
Jinder Mahal - India
Drew McIntyre - Scotland
Ezekiel Jackson - Ghana
Peter Orlorv (from FCW) - Russia
Have a random American thrown in like Tyler Reks or Curt Hawkins so they won't be an anti American stable and have them managed by William Regal representing England

the-rocks-stunner
09-08-2011, 03:37 PM
no one say JTG -_-

clrj3514
09-08-2011, 03:45 PM
My thoughts on who really NEEDS a manager. Jack Swagger- Not bad on the mic but no one wants to hear his lisp. Tyson Kidd- Great talent, but I don't think he can talk. Otunga and McGillicutty - If they are going to stay together as a team they need a manager. I've been saying have Cole be a modern Bobby Heenan with a whole stable of talent.

Cole as their manager could work in their angle against Lawler.

Automatic
09-08-2011, 03:45 PM
no one say JTG -_-

The guy can save himself in my opinion.

Tommy Thunder
09-08-2011, 03:47 PM
There's countless guys in WWE that need managers. Tyson Kidd is probably the most prominent one, and I'd have Jimmy Hart as his manager. He's signed with WWE, so why not pair them up, especially with the Hart family connection.

Michael Hayes should manage someone

Michael Cole has outgrown his commentator role. He;d be an awesome heel manager (possibly better than Vickie).

Armando Estrada is a great manager that could be brought back.

Harvey Whipelman is signed with WWE, he's a great manager too.

AOF666
09-08-2011, 04:10 PM
Regal needs to manage Drew Mcintire and Mason Ryan

Dude573
09-08-2011, 04:13 PM
Yoshi Tatsu's new look as a heel could use a manager I think, whether who it will be I'm not sure though.

As for Drew, I think Rowdy Roddy Piper will really get him over.

Jaws
09-08-2011, 05:33 PM
WWE version of World Elite maybe.
Tyson Kidd - Canada
Yoshi Tatsu - Japan
Jinder Mahal - India
Drew McIntyre - Scotland
Ezekiel Jackson - Ghana
Peter Orlorv (from FCW) - Russia
Have a random American thrown in like Tyler Reks or Curt Hawkins so they won't be an anti American stable and have them managed by William Regal representing England

I like this idea. Ezekiel Jackson is from Guyana though, not Ghana. Just pointing that out. Not that it makes a difference in this case.

Y2Jryder
09-08-2011, 05:57 PM

You're kidding me right?

Tommy Thunder
09-08-2011, 06:19 PM
no one say JTG -_-

JTG needs to be future endeavored.

You are kidding me right? I saw the guy cut a heel promo not too long ago, only to get no reaction whatsoever from the crowd. Mid way through he was literally begging the crowd to boo him, but to no avail.
JTG was good as a tag team with Shad, but once WWE split them, I saw no future for either.

The only thing that can save JTG is if WWE re-hire Shad and re-form Cryme Tyme.

Asherdelampyr
09-08-2011, 06:48 PM
im not even sure that Cryme Time (or however the hell it was misspelled) can save him now

Grind_Bastard
09-08-2011, 07:13 PM
Regal, Jimmy Hart and Roddy Piper are my three best managers. And I like the idea of Cole managing a heel, he's annoying on commentary and people hate him, his protege will get lots of reaction.

wrestlingfan66513
09-08-2011, 09:22 PM
Have Cara team with Yoshi Tatsu and give them a manager to make them a heel high flying foreign team.

Tommy Thunder
09-08-2011, 09:24 PM
Have Cara team with Yoshi Tatsu and give them a manager to make them a heel high flying foreign team.

That actually doesn't sound like such a bad idea.

Brewer 314
09-08-2011, 10:05 PM
Personally? I'd say that William Regal needs to step away from the NXT announce table and take Drew McIntyre under his wing. The guy has all the talent in the world, yet is still struggling to make an appearance on WWE TV. Regal could be just the man to get him back on Television.

Regal can't even get himself on TV anymore.

Rich Cranium
09-08-2011, 10:10 PM
I would say Jinder Mahal is a good mouthpiece for Khali.
Raw has no GM so why should SD? Teddy long would be good for Zeke!
There are agents that could be managers, like Arn Anderson!

Brewer 314
09-08-2011, 10:16 PM
Michael Cole has outgrown his commentator role. He'd be an awesome heel manager.

The dude could be the next Jim Cornette, he has that potential!

But yeah, too bad WWE has him dialed in as their workhorse commentator.

BlazersDozen
09-09-2011, 01:10 AM
Not sure why ppl are putting a manager on Miz & Truth. Both can work good promos & have major heat with crowds so they have no need for a manager.

At this moment I think its Air Boom & I think it'd be awesome if Ryder attatched himself to them. They are finese & flashy in the ring & he is the same way on the mic. I think it would be a great pairing.

Subject Zero
09-09-2011, 05:42 AM
The dude could be the next Jim Cornette, he has that potential!

But yeah, too bad WWE has him dialed in as their workhorse commentator.

The last thing this earth needs is another Jim Cornette.

Ive said it before and ill say it again Iron Sheik would be an amazing manager but its very unlikely.

And Taijiri for a Japanese superstar would be great also.

Maybe at a push Santino could start managing also.

sincara
09-09-2011, 10:08 AM
regal- barrett
rowdy roddy piper- drew mcintyre
sgt slaughter - swagger
rikishi - usos
brett hart - kidd
michael cole - otunga + henning
hogan- ryder

Tay Moran
09-09-2011, 10:19 AM
ted dibiase sr
ted dibiase jr
brett dibiase

BlazersDozen
09-09-2011, 10:51 AM
You guys realize Brett Hart was average on the mic in his prime...even worse now...right?

xAzureSkye
09-09-2011, 12:24 PM
Daniel Bryan could have Kaitlyn.
Tyson Kidd w/ Cole.

THE HEARTBREAK KID
09-09-2011, 01:06 PM
regal = Barret & drew
Rikishi = uso's
Booker t with a new look nation of domination = r truth , mark henry & jtg (maybe)

also would like too see paul bearer back with a young talent thats given a monster or dark gimmick dunno who could fill that role tho maybe sumone like tyler reks