PDA

View Full Version : Musings of the Voice of the Voiceless!

Wade Barrett 1979
09-04-2011, 07:51 PM
http://www.ewrestlingnews.com/headlines/Must-Read_Punk_Interview_-_Wrestling_Contract.php

I just wanted to put this up, as it's a brilliant read and I know not all of you read the main news pages!! I wouldn't want any of you to miss out on this!!

The Brown One
09-04-2011, 09:32 PM
That was a spectacular read. He speaks a lot of truth. In my opinion, the part with how the WWE changes their perceptions of their wrestlers so frequently was spot on. I remember when they had Kofi winning titles and holding on to them for months. Then they decided that Dolph was just better, and had him doing what they let Kofi do. Then they forgot about both of them, and threw Ziggler into a feud with various wrestlers, and Kofi was just another midcarder.

Wade Barrett 1979
09-04-2011, 09:45 PM
That was a spectacular read. He speaks a lot of truth. In my opinion,

the part with how the WWE changes their perceptions of their wrestlers so frequently was spot on. I remember when they had Kofi winning titles and holding on to them for months. Then they decided that Dolph was just better, and had him doing what they let Kofi do. Then they forgot about both of them, and threw Ziggler into a feud with various wrestlers, and Kofi was just another midcarder.

Yup and that's the main problem with 'Creative' at the moment!! Fair enough, Punk is being allowed to run with things at the moment and God, even Cena has been better since his Programme with Punk, however, they are clueless when it comes to the mid card!! With the amount of pushes and de-pushes occurring, you just don't know what the hell is going on!!

Marx
09-05-2011, 03:49 AM
I like the remark about creative not knowing what to do with midcarders, it's the thruth. Same goes for the depedency of wrestlers: they'd better do what WWE says, because there's nowhere to go. They're love for and dependency on the business are abused, something that happens along the whole ladder: from WWE to the regional promotions. Times are better - for the wrestler AND his creative and character development side - when there are rivalling company's. That's not a revelation though: Jericho - the true best in the world at what he does - said it years ago.

One point makes me a bit uneasy though, I find it a very weak argument. Punk says 'I'm sick of seeing people who are excellent wrestlers get passed over for people who have abs or who were good second-string linemen in a European football league.' My question is: name one..

I know Vince likes big guys, and that the bigger guys get pushed quicker. Without the steroid scandal, maybe Shawn Michaels and Bret Hart wouldn't have made it to the place they went. The WCW-midcarders were also held back in favor of the big guys, essentially the same big guys that are now holding back AJ Styles etc.. But look at the roster now, and look back a few years. There are no ex football dropouts, no bodybuilders. Sure, Cena is a bodybuilder, but also a life long WWE fan. Other shortcoming aside: no one can deny Cena's heart for the business. Big Zeke Jackson might fit the overpushed bodybuilder description, but he's never been to the main event and still is in the pack fighting for his place, not on top and holding others down. Most others are second- or third generation, collegiate wrestlers, home grown average guys, a reality show misfit who worke his ass off to get where he is, a few veterans and legends, and a few big dudes that provide the 'smaller face wins against all odds'-story.

If Punk meaned to say that he's here to pave the way for the indies, I'd agree with him and wish him well. I will f'n mark out when Chris Hero enters a WWE-ring: the guy deserves the spot and the belonging pay check.

But the battle he refers to is already over: guys like Jericho, Mysterio and Chris Benoit have won it for him, though the big guys will of course never be out of the main event - as they should'nt, because they add story possibilities and a certain style, and different storylines and different styles keep wrestling fresh.

AOF666
09-05-2011, 03:53 PM
I like the dig towards Orton in that interview!

Marx
09-05-2011, 07:10 PM
I like the dig towards Orton in that interview!

About the never wanting to be a wrestler, and failing at everything else? Same goes for The Rock, and both Rock and Orton have admitted it. I respect both for talking about the downside of wrestling, as I respect CM Punk for his love for the business and rise from backyard to main event WWE.

Enforcer23
09-05-2011, 10:16 PM
http://www.ewrestlingnews.com/headlines/Must-Read_Punk_Interview_-_Wrestling_Contract.php

I just wanted to put this up, as it's a brilliant read and I know not all of you read the main news pages!! I wouldn't want any of you to miss out on this!!

it is great he is deffintly a new era of wrestler and should be listined to