View Full Version : Chokers?

Juvenile Junkie
09-04-2011, 03:20 PM
2nd in 2002
3rd in 2005
3rd in 2006
2nd in 2008
3rd in 2010

Germany is the last few footballing tournaments.Are they chokers? Not to mention their disasterous title defence at Euro 2000.No European trophy at club level since 2001 as well.....

Tommy Thunder
09-04-2011, 03:33 PM
2nd in 2002
3rd in 2005
3rd in 2006
2nd in 2008
3rd in 2010

Germany is the last few footballing tournaments.Are they chokers? Not to mention their disasterous title defence at Euro 2000.No European trophy at club level since 2001 as well.....

Last 2 tournaments (WC 2010 and Euro 2008), I'd say they've been re-building. Nobody expected them to come 3rd at the World Cup since they had such a young team. But mark my words, that team will be one of the teams to watch next summer at the Euros, and at the next WC in 2014. They have a lot of good young players mixed in with experience.

Subject Zero
09-04-2011, 07:23 PM
Nah Spain have clearly been the best Team in the World these past four years and cant see in changing for a while.

Brazil before that.

Maybe Germany should of won the world cup when they hosted it but an old team.

If you wanna talk chokers look at Argentina

Juvenile Junkie
09-05-2011, 01:32 AM
Nah Spain have clearly been the best Team in the World these past four years and cant see in changing for a while.

Brazil before that.

no,their biggest problem has been inadequate coaches and horribly selected tournament squads.Look at FWC2010,cambiasso and Zanetti were worldclass for Inter in their treble winning season,Zanetti had Messi in his pocket in the UCL semi's,but get overlooked for Colocini and Jonas who were playing in the Coke League for Newcastle.

Subject Zero
09-05-2011, 02:46 AM
no,their biggest problem has been inadequate coaches and horribly selected tournament squads.Look at FWC2010,cambiasso and Zanetti were worldclass for Inter in their treble winning season,Zanetti had Messi in his pocket in the UCL semi's,but get overlooked for Colocini and Jonas who were playing in the Coke League for Newcastle.

theres a reason why Colocini was in the coca cola league he is shit

VanHooliganX
09-05-2011, 04:39 AM
Nah barcalona have clearly been the best Team in the World these past four years and cant see in changing for a while.

Brazil before that.

Fixed for accuracy.

I think England should get biggest chokers award.
4 semi finals in 20 appearences (thats world cup and euro champs)
and only 1 title out of those 4.

Holland also choke quite a bit, as well as france

Frances record:
1998: won
2002:didn't score a goal
2006: final
2010: did stupidly bad

Fun Fact: faced Uruguay in 2002 and 2010 and both finish 0-0, also had an african team in both (Senegal and South Africa) and played bad against both. In short France up and down every world cup

Juvenile Junkie
09-05-2011, 05:35 AM
Fixed for accuracy.

I think England should get biggest chokers award.
4 semi finals in 20 appearences (thats world cup and euro champs)
and only 1 title out of those 4.

Holland also choke quite a bit, as well as france

Frances record:
1998: won
2002:didn't score a goal
2006: final
2010: did stupidly bad

Fun Fact: faced Uruguay in 2002 and 2010 and both finish 0-0, also had an african team in both (Senegal and South Africa) and played bad against both. In short France up and down every world cup

England's win was at home,plus with some controversy.England have 2 massive problems,1 being the media pressure and media that overhypes expectations and over hypes certain players,England's seconf biggest problem is Emile Heskey,what rubbish.

1990 and 1994,France didn't qualify!Speaking of France,should NZ win the World Cup(rugby union),would the chokers tag be passed on to France?Numerous final four appearances for the French.

Juvenile Junkie
09-05-2011, 05:36 AM
2010 France was funny,at least it overshadowed the fact that we were the first host not to make the second round!

Ramon Domenech should coach Newcastle,what fun that would be!

Subject Zero
09-05-2011, 05:54 AM
England's win was at home,plus with some controversy.England have 2 massive problems,1 being the media pressure and media that overhypes expectations and over hypes certain players,England's seconf biggest problem is Emile Heskey,what rubbish.

1990 and 1994,France didn't qualify!Speaking of France,should NZ win the World Cup(rugby union),would the chokers tag be passed on to France?Numerous final four appearances for the French.

More to it then that. If that was the case everyone would win their own world cup. We were the best all round team in 66 and YES Eusebio was the best player in the world but England had the best team.

We should of won the world cup as well a few years ago if it wasnt for 'The Hand of God'.

France had some MAJOR issues. I mean they had ALOT of injuries going in and ALOT of French players are overated.(well now they are but 4 -6 years ago or more they werent.)

Tommy Thunder
09-05-2011, 05:57 AM

Brazil before that.

Well, The Netherlands have overtaken them in the FIFA World rankings recently, and they also lost an international match against Italy last month, and very nearly lost against Chile the other night! They were 2-0 down at one point in that match, and it wasn't until Fabregas came off the bench and scored twice that they started to play.
I think the pressure is getting to them.

VanHooliganX
09-05-2011, 06:02 AM

Even without that goal we'd of won 3-2 so a win was a win :)
and about damn time a goal that could be argued that it shouldn't stand was in favour of us! Wouldn't ever happen again though

as for being overhyped we are...very badly. I'm always just hopefuly for a semi final appearence over anything else.

as for the bolded, true, i agree with you on him, but you still spelt Frank Lampard wrong

Subject Zero
09-05-2011, 06:05 AM
Even without that goal we'd of won 3-2 so a win was a win :)
and about damn time a goal that could be argued that it shouldn't stand was in favour of us! Wouldn't ever happen again though

as for being overhyped we are...very badly. I'm always just hopefuly for a semi final appearence over anything else.

as for the bolded, true, i agree with you on him, but you still spelt Frank Lampard wrong

Dude hates English Football so you kinda do have to ignore his bias opinions when it comes to English football.

Juvenile Junkie
09-06-2011, 12:54 AM
Dude hates English Football so you kinda do have to ignore his bias opinions when it comes to English football.

another stupid statement by Subject Zero

VanHooliganX
09-06-2011, 10:09 AM

I don't mind his opinion. True he rarely ever credits the EPL and underestimates it sometimes but he does make a lot of threads on this bored.

He's like the sports areas Ryan Clark :D lol

TheBeardOfZeus
09-06-2011, 10:20 AM
I wouldn't say Germany are chokers, that would be incredibly harsh.

I would love for England to get 2nds or 3rds, that's more an impressive feat of consistency to me.

And I'll make a bold prediction here, I think Germany will win Euro 2012.

CGBigMan
09-06-2011, 10:22 AM

I would love for England to get 2nds or 3rds, that's more an impressive feat of consistency to me.

i think spain will still be dominate and win it again

VanHooliganX
09-06-2011, 10:28 AM

Only 3 teams that can win it

Holland, Spain and Germany. Hopefully they face each other and a weaker country does very well like Denmark in 92 or Greece in 04

TheBeardOfZeus
09-06-2011, 10:32 AM

Only 3 teams that can win it

Holland, Spain and Germany. Hopefully they face each other and a weaker country does very well like Denmark in 92 or Greece in 04

I'd like to see a smaller team do well also.

But Germany really have some great youth in their side, and I think that all three of Holland, Spain and Germany could beat each other, but Germany, for me, are the best defensively, and have scored an average of 4 per game over qualifying. That's intimidating.

Automatic
09-06-2011, 10:36 AM
I'd like to say that Germany is incredibly consistant. They sure as hell are no chokers, because they have won enough to not be called chokers. And you shouldn't be looking at club competition, because German teams can't compete with English, Spanish and Italian teams, except FC Hollywood.

Subject Zero
09-06-2011, 12:56 PM
another stupid statement by Subject Zero

If its Stupid then how come a majority of members have said this

Tommy Thunder
09-06-2011, 01:11 PM

Wouldn't argue there. They have a great up and coming team, with plenty of youth mixed with experience. I've said before that they're the team to watch.
I think Spain will choke at these Euros.

Germany or Holland are my picks.

Juvenile Junkie
09-07-2011, 09:13 AM
4 teams can win Euro 2012:

Germany,Holland,Spain and Italy.Statistics don't lie,post World Cup these have been Europe's best.

Juvenile Junkie
09-07-2011, 09:14 AM
4 teams can win Euro 2012:

Germany,Holland,Spain and Italy.Statistics don't lie,post World Cup these have been Europe's best.

and congrats to those 4 for Qualifying for the Euro's,although any major European football country probably should.......

Juvenile Junkie
09-07-2011, 09:24 AM
hopefully Guus Hiddink coaches a more respectable national team one day and wins a trophy....

Harry Redknapp has come out and said that England can win the Euro's,dammit,jynx,he picked them for FWC2010 too.A bad omen.I think the English fans should do what Italian fans do before a major tournament:

* question the squad picked,left,right and centre
* question the coach's ability and credentials
* crucify the team's tactics
* blame substandard academies for poorly produced players
* lament the overpriced coach's salary
* debate the dedication and passion that certain slub level superstars have for playing for the national team
* And right them off profusely

knowing some Italian folk,Its things that pop up at every tournament with them,but sadly,4 world cups and a euro title later,it seems to work.

Automatic
09-07-2011, 11:53 AM
hopefully Guus Hiddink coaches a more respectable national team one day and wins a trophy....

Harry Redknapp has come out and said that England can win the Euro's,dammit,jynx,he picked them for FWC2010 too.A bad omen.I think the English fans should do what Italian fans do before a major tournament:

* question the squad picked,left,right and centre
* question the coach's ability and credentials
* crucify the team's tactics
* blame substandard academies for poorly produced players
* lament the overpriced coach's salary
* debate the dedication and passion that certain slub level superstars have for playing for the national team
* And right them off profusely

knowing some Italian folk,Its things that pop up at every tournament with them,but sadly,4 world cups and a euro title later,it seems to work.

Lol. Bashing seems to be the solution.