PDA

View Full Version : Sheamus saving Cena

Dude573
09-02-2011, 06:08 AM
I just watched Raw, (I know I'm late) but was I the only one who thought Sheamus making the save on Cena was the most ridiculous thing ever? I'm really quite bored of his faceturn already to be honest. I really saw him as staying a heel and feuding with the undertaker.

What's everyone's opinion on his faceturn? (Sorry if there is already a thread about this).

Ravsta
09-02-2011, 06:24 AM
Yer that was a very weird moment considering all their history together. Also sheamus' faceturn has really demeend his brutality, I can't find him dangerous anymore, I think wwe should've left him the way he was cause he's becoming very stale and he's not a very believable as a face anyway.

Automatic
09-02-2011, 06:27 AM
There's nothing wrong with his faceturn? Yes, the Cena save was a bit awkward, but he still is the warrior he used to be. He still does the same moves with the same intensity and ferocity. I like him as a face, he's really good at it.

Fatality
09-02-2011, 06:34 AM
There's nothing wrong with his faceturn? Yes, the Cena save was a bit awkward, but he still is the warrior he used to be. He still does the same moves with the same intensity and ferocity. I like him as a face, he's really good at it.

Yeah same here, Him saving cena was awkward, but i am really enjoying his face run.

VanHooliganX
09-02-2011, 06:37 AM
If Sheamus wouldn't of come out and saved Cena, he would of gotten beaten up for awhile before saving himself.
Instead we got a predictable tag team match with a predictable ending. Thanks Sheamus :D

Reichwulf
09-02-2011, 06:41 AM
I just watched Raw, (I know I'm late) but was I the only one who thought Sheamus making the save on Cena was the most ridiculous thing ever? I'm really quite bored of his faceturn already to be honest. I really saw him as staying a heel and feuding with the undertaker.

What's everyone's opinion on his faceturn? (Sorry if there is already a thread about this).

Sheamus is still the Celtic warrior and I can see him continuing to do the same things he's always done.

I can't see a full face turn for him, in fact i don't think him saving Cena was a "face" move rather it was building on the him/henry feud and ending herny's (bully streak)

I guess you could call him already a face between him vs henry but i still say he's in between a heel/face

The Brown One
09-02-2011, 07:26 AM

You seriously saw Sheamus feuding with The Undertaker? You should know by now that Taker takes almost the whole year off, and returns only to feud with a veteran, and then have his WM match.

Anyway, the WWE seems to be doing this with many of their wrestlers turned face (teaming up with Cena that is) - Alex Riley, Sheamus, and Sin Cara (yes I know he was a face already). This seems a bit repetitive, and teaming them with Cena wasn't the best idea, since we should be watching them solo to see what they've got. But teaming with Cena can get your name out there. Many of the roster who have had a feud/teamed with Cena in the past have had increased attention on them for a while:

* Randy Orton
* David Otunga
* Sin Cara
* Alex Riley
* Kofi Kingston
* Evan Bourne
* Sheamus
* The Miz

Tag
09-02-2011, 07:28 AM
I´ve been reading from this forum for quite some time now to be able to justify what I'm about to say.
The problem here is that the IWC tends to love the heels almost blindly.
I find it disturbing how people's opinion on a wrestler (as in wrestling ability, promo cutting, etc) just changes as quick as WWE makes a guy have a turn.
General rule I have seen over the years: The IWC will love a heel until he turns face, and then will criticize him for being stale, boring, corny, and whatnot. On the other hand, the IWC will suggest almost every available babyface should leave the company ASAP, but when one of them turns heel, it's the next big thing. Yes, it bugs me. No, I'm not a Cena-mark under the age of 10. I'm 21, and I hate his gimmick as much as the next guy, although I am far from disliking him as a person.
I'll give you some examples ( Regardless of my own opinion on them)
Randy Orton- When he fought Cena almost a full year as a heel, everyone loved him and his in-ring work. He ended up being cheered so much that he had to actually turn face so it would make some sense. He turns face, and puff, people start saying he's boring, robotic, and has 0 mic and wrestling skills.
R-Truth- People were begging for him to be fired. Turns heel, next big thing. Seriously?
Sheamus- People were crying for this one. He was heel, but had nothing going for him story-line wise, and people wondered how can such a talented full-package guy be wasted like that. "PLEASE GIVE HIM SOMETHING". Okay. He turns face. "Not believable, fake, no longer a warrior, etc". /facepalm
Christian- The amount of times I seen people begging for him to turn heel before he actually did does not even make sense. So, you love the guy, love his work, and feel that a world championship is way overdue, so you mark out for any accomplishment he does. But, even so, you want him a bad guy?
Edge- One of the best heels in the WWE, ever. Hands down. But that's not my point. Everyone enjoys his heel work (even me), but he turns face and all of a sudden people say it didn't feel organic, that it's not believable, that he doesn't seem to have fun in the business anymore, that he's slow, and so on. Now he's gone, and I seen some people say his last year tarnished his career.
Daniel Bryan- People say that he needs to turn heel to show his wrestling skills properly. Nuff said.

I could go on. Hell, I'm sure there's more examples that I don't even know of, since I'm from Portugal, and I didn't know wrestling until it was presented to me in one of the most alternative TV channels that we have, 4 or 5 years ago, even though I have seen a LOT of youtube videos from past wrestling, most specifically from 1990 on (since I could say that I have 2 favourite wrestlers, one of them being the Undertaker).

My point is this. The IWC will always prefer the heel over the face, blindly, and magically, most of the times disregarding the actual value of the wrestler. And while I think that doesn't make sense, I can't do much to change it, and I can't help feeling this kind of discussions about face and heel turns just seems to me like saying the same thing over and over again.
Also makes me think, what kind of society do we live in, that people get behind bad actions, and tell the good guy to f*** off. But that would be a discussion for another kind of forum.

And (finally) answering to the actual post, Sheamus saving Cena seemed awkward because it didn't have any setup other than him having an axe to grind with Henry. I'm sure that if the tag match had been already announced before that happened, it wouldn't seem so odd. Personally, I'm loving this face Sheamus, he's a mark-worthy guy.

Tag
09-02-2011, 07:29 AM
I´ve been reading from this forum for quite some time now to be able to justify what I'm about to say.
I find it disturbing how people's opinion on a wrestler (as in wrestling ability, promo cutting, etc) just changes as quick as WWE makes a guy have a turn.
General rule I have seen over the years: The IWC will love a heel until he turns face, and then will criticize him for being stale, boring, corny, and whatnot. On the other hand, the IWC will suggest almost every available babyface should leave the company ASAP, but when one of them turns heel, it's the next big thing. Yes, it bugs me. No, I'm not a Cena-mark under the age of 10. I'm 21, and I hate his gimmick as much as the next guy, although I am far from disliking him as a person.
Randy Orton- When he fought Cena almost a full year as a heel, everyone loved him and his in-ring work. He ended up being cheered so much that he had to actually turn face so it would make some sense. He turns face, and puff, people start saying he's boring, robotic, and has 0 mic and wrestling skills.
R-Truth- People were begging for him to be fired. Turns heel, next big thing. Seriously?
Sheamus- People were crying for this one. He was heel, but had nothing going for him story-line wise, and people wondered how can such a talented full-package guy be wasted like that. "PLEASE GIVE HIM SOMETHING". Okay. He turns face. "Not believable, fake, no longer a warrior, etc". /facepalm
Christian- The amount of times I seen people begging for him to turn heel before he actually did does not even make sense. So, you love the guy, love his work, and feel that a world championship is way overdue, so you mark out for any accomplishment he does. But, even so, you want him a bad guy?
Edge- One of the best heels in the WWE, ever. Hands down. But that's not my point. Everyone enjoys his heel work (even me), but he turns face and all of a sudden people say it didn't feel organic, that it's not believable, that he doesn't seem to have fun in the business anymore, that he's slow, and so on. Now he's gone, and I seen some people say his last year tarnished his career.
Daniel Bryan- People say that he needs to turn heel to show his wrestling skills properly. Nuff said.

I could go on. Hell, I'm sure there's more examples that I don't even know of, since I'm from Portugal, and I didn't know wrestling until it was presented to me in one of the most alternative TV channels that we have, 4 or 5 years ago, even though I have seen a LOT of youtube videos from past wrestling, most specifically from 1990 on (since I could say that I have 2 favourite wrestlers, one of them being the Undertaker).

My point is this. The IWC will always prefer the heel over the face, blindly, and magically, most of the times disregarding the actual value of the wrestler. And while I think that doesn't make sense, I can't do much to change it, and I can't help feeling this kind of discussions about face and heel turns just seems to me like saying the same thing over and over again.
Also makes me think, what kind of society do we live in, that people get behind bad actions, and tell the good guy to f*** off. But that would be a discussion for another kind of forum.

And (finally) answering to the actual post, Sheamus saving Cena seemed awkward because it didn't have any setup other than him having an axe to grind with Henry. I'm sure that if the tag match had been already announced before that happened, it wouldn't seem so odd. Personally, I'm loving this face Sheamus, he's a mark-worthy guy.

Chavo.G
09-02-2011, 07:33 AM
It doesn't suit him being heel and especially when he saved cena, that really pissed me off. Being the fellow Irishman that I am, I will give him a second chance, though he just isn't the same brutal Celtic Warrior that he was.

Y2Jryder
09-02-2011, 07:41 AM
All the face guys are friends. that's the main rule in happy happy land

The Brown One
09-02-2011, 07:44 AM

Great post, you put a lot into it for sure.

TheBeardOfZeus
09-02-2011, 08:01 AM
I like Sheamus face.

He's funny, he's still intense, I don't see the problem with him saving Cena.

Y2Jryder
09-02-2011, 08:09 AM

And (finally) answering to the actual post, Sheamus saving Cena seemed awkward because it didn't have any setup other than him having an axe to grind with Henry. I'm sure that if the tag match had been already announced before that happened, it wouldn't seem so odd. Personally, I'm loving this face Sheamus, he's a mark-worthy guy. post of the week, here it is

steveorton
09-02-2011, 08:38 AM

TBH I think his face turn is going very well, he is very huge and using some very high impact moves. He also ran to the ring to get a piece of Henry, you should recall last smackdown to see why.

steveorton
09-02-2011, 08:44 AM

This is one of the reasons I come to this forum, to get opinions from guys who know what the f*** they are talking about. One of the best posts I've ever read.

maar13
09-02-2011, 08:51 AM

You nailed it right on the head, great post.

And just to comment there, he wasn't there just to save Cena, his rivalry with Henry has ecalated a level from the beatings they have played with each other, so it could have been Cena, Bourne or anyone else.

A nice touch was Cena holding still on guard since he was like he didn't know which side Sheamus was on, that was a nice touch.

Bodom
09-02-2011, 09:06 AM

This is why Sheamus' face turn has been so effective. His core character hasn't changed at all

Dude573
09-02-2011, 09:54 AM

Not to sound rude, but I think you just stated the obvious. Heels will always be more appreciated from an intellectual viewing point because being a bad guy allows you to be more dynamic and interesting. Being a Face is seen as stale because the audience will always know what they are going to do, make the save, play by the rules, shake hands, joke to the crowd etc. Where as a heel has so many other than one option in their affairs, and that's what leaves people guessing.

It isn't only in wrestling, but in Shakespeare, Iago is more loved than Othello, and he is the "epitome of all evil". In Anime Sasuke would be more loved than Naruto, Vegeta to Goku. In media TV the bad characters are always most admired in comparison to the good Sawyer to Jack in Lost etc.

Being a bad character gives you a quality of charisma and a compelling insight, people will always be curious to what will happen next. I made this Post because before his faceturn, Sheamus was one of the most dynamic characters the WWE had, he was unpredictable, like when he took out HHH or when he beat John Cena, it was entertaining and vigorously potent. I have nothing against face wrestlers, I think Evan Bourne and Christian as a face were awesome, but I just think some guys as heels have done too much, and almost been too dynamic as a heel to pull it off, guys like Orten and Sheamus I feel don't work as faces, because they were too good as heels.

You criticized society for loving the darker characters, but its only human nature to admire something outside of our reality, to be fascinated by other points of view, and what we wouldn't do ourselves.

steveorton
09-02-2011, 10:21 AM
Not to sound rude, but I think you just stated the obvious. Heels will always be more appreciated from an intellectual viewing point because being a bad guy allows you to be more dynamic and interesting. Being a Face is seen as stale because the audience will always know what they are going to do, make the save, play by the rules, shake hands, joke to the crowd etc. Where as a heel has so many other than one option in their affairs, and that's what leaves people guessing.

It isn't only in wrestling, but in Shakespeare, Iago is more loved than Othello, and he is the "epitome of all evil". In Anime Sasuke would be more loved than Naruto, Vegeta to Goku. In media TV the bad characters are always most admired in comparison to the good Sawyer to Jack in Lost etc.

Being a bad character gives you a quality of charisma and a compelling insight, people will always be curious to what will happen next. I made this Post because before his faceturn, Sheamus was one of the most dynamic characters the WWE had, he was unpredictable, like when he took out HHH or when he beat John Cena, it was entertaining and vigorously potent. I have nothing against face wrestlers, I think Evan Bourne and Christian as a face were awesome, but I just think some guys as heels have done too much, and almost been too dynamic as a heel to pull it off, guys like Orten and Sheamus I feel don't work as faces, because they were too good as heels.

You criticized society for loving the darker characters, but its only human nature to admire something outside of our reality, to be fascinated by other points of view, and what we wouldn't do ourselves.

Yes Lost was a very good show

Rilla
09-02-2011, 12:18 PM
The only change I've seen in Sheamus is that he just now feuds with heels and not faces.

I saw nothing wrong with the Cena/Sheamus - Christian/Henry set up, because:

1) Cena was still on guard, playing off he didn't know whether or not Sheamus was going to attack

2) Cena was the odd man out. Sheamus has/can feud with Henry and Christian, Cena being there was a way for Christian to come out and be a hypocrite, thus a heel. Cena, to me, if anything, was nothing more than a plot device for a SD storyline.

Asherdelampyr
09-02-2011, 12:25 PM
I have been hoping for a while now that Sheamus O'Shaunessy would turn face (Yes I wish he would go back to using the full name, cause it's awesome)

since he did I have loved every minute of it
I think he has a TON of charisma, that allows him to get over as a face well, and he is big and physically threatening enough that he doesn't have to follow the typical face formula of getting his ass handed to him only to come back and win in the last 30 seconds of a match.

Also I think he is hilarious. His promos have had me in stitches every time

He is still the Celtic Warrior. He just acts as a much more honorable Celtic Warrior!

Y2J___Y2J
09-02-2011, 12:31 PM
I like the face turn.. especially because he's mainly on SD.. there heel heavy at the top. But Sheamus saving Cena was quite odd.. seeing as the were fighting for the belt a while back..

Asherdelampyr
09-02-2011, 12:44 PM
I like the face turn.. especially because he's mainly on SD.. there heel heavy at the top. But Sheamus saving Cena was quite odd.. seeing as the were fighting for the belt a while back..

I don't think he was saving Cena so much as laying a beating on Mark Henry, since they have been feuding

Rebel Lion
09-02-2011, 01:50 PM
The awkwardness was a necessary part of the faceturn, which I see no problem with. I loved to see those to shoulder-to-shoulder, especially knowing the history these two have. How has he lost any intensity since "Creative" started turning him face?? Sheamus is as ferocious as ever, and he is good money on the mic.

Rich Cranium
09-02-2011, 02:04 PM
I also noticed that right after he saved Cena, they showed Sheamus at a school representing the Anti-bullying campaign so maybe this has something to do with it?

Asherdelampyr
09-02-2011, 02:19 PM
I also noticed that right after he saved Cena, they showed Sheamus at a school representing the Anti-bullying campaign so maybe this has something to do with it?

Very good point
II hadn't thought of it that way, but that would make perfect sense, as far as a basis for his face actions goes

maar13
09-02-2011, 05:17 PM

It would make perfect sense since he is right now going against The World Strongest Bully (Character wise) in the WWE.