PDA

View Full Version : Randy orton in ring ability

Ravsta
09-01-2011, 11:04 PM
After watching Raw's supershow Randy orton showed that he is one of the best in ring performers. Not only did he use different moves his match was actually one of the best of the night.. Way better then the main event..
Also I don't understand how people think he's boring.. Thoughts??

Beutiful Chaos
09-01-2011, 11:05 PM
The title made me think that you about to talk about Orton's many injuries.

SESAfro
09-01-2011, 11:08 PM
After watching Raw's supershow Randy orton showed that he is one of the best in ring performers. Not only did he use different moves his match was actually one of the best of the night.. Way better then the main event..
Well, it was also a match with Ziggles, so it HAD to be good no matter what. I will agree with you. I was impressed with Randy even more after that match.

maar13
09-01-2011, 11:12 PM

Well people find him boring because most of the time, he is slow and stalls a lot, he taunts but is more like a calculating hunter. For some, that is what makes him boring, he can be slow at times, he is not as animated as some, I mean, he has a rush of energy from the crowd but does not focus on that most of the time.

Since he shows most of the time no emotion for some it is like he is not caring.

In my view the guy is good, not a big fan but he is good and can have a very entertaining match, proof? his series with Christian and his matches with with Punk. Yes those two are good but his match with Ted was cool too.

Reichwulf
09-01-2011, 11:17 PM

I would happen to be one of these people. It's not that i feel he's boring, completely, but that he's over-hyped just like john cena, and pushed to the point it takes away from other super stars.

He has a very limited move set, and always pops out a surprise "rko" just like kelly x 2 pulls out the surprise "roll up" and it seems like the creative team always goes out of their way to make sure he wins. Proof? Christian vs ortan feud.

Don't get me started about his promo skills, if it wasn't for christian that feud could NOT have lasted as long as it did.

so yea, i find ortan kinda boring and over rated.

maar13
09-01-2011, 11:21 PM
I would happen to be one of these people. It's not that i feel he's boring, completely, but that he's over-hyped just like john cena, and pushed to the point it takes away from other super stars.

He has a very limited move set, and always pops out a surprise "rko" just like kelly x 2 pulls out the surprise "roll up" and it seems like the creative team always goes out of their way to make sure he wins. Proof? Christian vs ortan feud.

Don't get me started about his promo skills, if it wasn't for christian that feud could NOT have lasted as long as it did.

Agree with the Christian feud, I think the wrong man won that feud actually.

dub
09-01-2011, 11:49 PM
Agree with the Christian feud, I think the wrong man won that feud actually.

& what's up with them making Christian look like a whinning, crying, bum? He deserves better than that doesn't he? I mean give the guy one clean win over Orton for cryin out loud.

RagnarokNRoll
09-01-2011, 11:51 PM
I think Orton is pretty solid in the ring. It his character (or lack thereof) I find boring. The calculating hunter thing was so much better when he was a heel. He had this evil streak to him. And the ridiculous faces he makes when he "gets mad" just cause me to not take him seriously.

Reichwulf
09-01-2011, 11:51 PM
& what's up with them making Christian look like a whinning, crying, bum? He deserves better than that doesn't he? I mean give the guy one clean win over Orton for cryin out loud.

Yeah, that's what really irritated me the most... They basically ruined Christian's whole image over the past few months, and killed the image he had, but he still has some peeps out there ;)

dub
09-01-2011, 11:53 PM
That definitely was a great match but it has a LOT to do with Ziggler too. Those two guys have great chemistry in the ring together.

broc808
09-02-2011, 12:32 AM
i think people normally say orton is boring is because he usually says the same kind of stuff on the mike when he is a face but his in ring ability is among the best in the wwe and its not only that match his first match with christian when he won the world title was an excellent match as has every one of there matches

Reichwulf
09-02-2011, 12:37 AM
i think people normally say orton is boring is because he usually says the same kind of stuff on the mike when he is a face but his in ring ability is among the best in the wwe and its not only that match his first match with christian when he won the world title was an excellent match as has every one of there matches

I'd have disagree with you about his in ring ability, i find it pretty stale with his limited move set. (as i said in my original post on this thread)

That being said, nice to see a fellow South Carolinain here :)

Russo swerve
09-02-2011, 12:42 AM
I actually like orton hes in my fav five (booker t voice)

broc808
09-02-2011, 12:43 AM
I'd have disagree with you about his in ring ability, i find it pretty stale with his limited move set. (as i said in my original post on this thread)

That being said, nice to see a fellow South Carolinain here :)

he does have a limited move set but a lot of people do and orton can still put on great matches

and yes you're the first i have met from SC it just seems like there's not many marks in the state

VanHooliganX
09-02-2011, 12:47 AM
Orton is good in the ring (Though not the best, but he puts on great matches) and his moveset is very good (Although a few can be compared to Austins moveset) and he's fairly decent on the mic.

Pisses me off that he never puts anyone over and if his opponent wins they have to be destroyed by him (See Swagger in his WHC 09 run and Christian more recently)

Peter Kaymakcian
09-02-2011, 01:13 AM
Not gonna lie I might be a little biased here because I am a fan of Randy Orton, but honestly I find him entertaining on the mic and I do find his matches entertaining as well. I think he does have a good in-ring psychology especially given his predator gimmick. However I do believe they should've kept him as the cocky arrogant legend killer for while he was a heel and the funny joking around face after he broke away from Evolution.

Chavo.G
09-02-2011, 01:21 AM
Fuck orton seriously. That bastard buried and destroyed Christian's career. He is worse than Cena and Hulk Hogan put together.

zapphoman
09-02-2011, 01:52 AM
Prepare to be shocked. I actually liked Ziggler vs Orton. It was a pretty decent match, but I am giving it to Ziggler because if it wasn't for Ziggler that match would of been crappy. I have noticed lately that Orton is trying a little harder and adding to his repertiore a little bit(falling neckbreaker thing?) but I still hate his guts, just don't hate them as much now.

The Brown One
09-02-2011, 02:10 AM

Completely with you. I don't see how people actually like his matches anymore. I used to like him 5 years ago. Then they changed him. They pushed him to the top, but forced him down our throats for the last 3 years, always putting him in the main event and having him win titles. Then they turned him face and limited his moveset like Cena, and even cut his promos short. Remember when he was a heel with The Legacy? He was a great heel then compared to his current alignment because he had things to say! His "Viper" character isn't effective because he can't really cater to the fans like Cena.

Thats mainly because he has the right opponents to put on the great match.

jrsckilla23
09-02-2011, 05:34 AM
[QUOTE= And the ridiculous faces he makes when he "gets mad" just cause me to not take him seriously.[/QUOTE]

That's what I was saying his stupid face that he does which he copied from the bushwackers, his gay lou thesz press if that's what you call it trying to copy austin, his angle slam well i just mentioned his name and the fact that he buries the good talent so that he can be on top and fuck everyone else example Cm Punk & Christian. He is a good wrestling entertainer as a Heel but as face Fuck Him well his character not in real life don't get it twisted people.

mkjah22
09-02-2011, 07:31 AM
u guys confuse me with the 'limited moveset' stuff. Creative have control over his matches fully at the moment because he is a face. Do u guys seriously not see this happen to every heel turned face? They always reduce their moveset so the kids can memorize it all and know whats coming so they can cheer more. Its stupid but its what happens. Because of people sayin this a lot recently ive been checking out his legacy matches towards the end of that stable. He had a pretty damn big moveset back then compared to most guys on the roster. Just cuz they are more slugger style doesnt invalidate them. Im mainly a high flyer/lucha fan but u gotta appreciate these guys. Wrestling is built on guys like Randy Orton. It especially drives me insane that people are comparing him to Cena just because the company decides to use him as their face.

They have had similar careers i'll admit but come on, ur seriously sayin that because Cena does all the moves he knows in one match that its the same as Randy being limited to what creative say hes allowed to use?

He has a huge pressence, he has intelligence behind his eyes, his moves are delivered with a unique style and hes been there long enough to be allowed a dull patch.

The Brown One
09-02-2011, 07:36 AM
u guys confuse me with the 'limited moveset' stuff. Creative have control over his matches fully at the moment because he is a face. Do u guys seriously not see this happen to every heel turned face? They always reduce their moveset so the kids can memorize it all and know whats coming so they can cheer more. Its stupid but its what happens. Because of people sayin this a lot recently ive been checking out his legacy matches towards the end of that stable. He had a pretty damn big moveset back then compared to most guys on the roster. Just cuz they are more slugger style doesnt invalidate them. Im mainly a high flyer/lucha fan but u gotta appreciate these guys. Wrestling is built on guys like Randy Orton. It especially drives me insane that people are comparing him to Cena just because the company decides to use him as their face.

They have had similar careers i'll admit but come on, ur seriously sayin that because Cena does all the moves he knows in one match that its the same as Randy being limited to what creative say hes allowed to use?

He has a huge pressence, he has intelligence behind his eyes, his moves are delivered with a unique style and hes been there long enough to be allowed a dull patch.

Not the same, but similar. It seems that when someone is pushed to the top spot, and is turned face, creative restricts their arsenal of moves to make the kids happy, but it makes them boring wrestlers to the rest of fans. Its been like that for a while now, and don't be surprised if it happens to Punk. Its not their fault, its creative for limiting their moveset, but its still annoying.

clrj3514
09-02-2011, 08:29 AM
I'm a big fan of Randy & have been for a long time. A lot of it is not him, it's just the WWE style. They don't NEED to be that good to beat the competition so they play it safe with the main guys.

steveorton
09-02-2011, 08:35 AM
I think Orton's in ring ability is above average and he's not fing boring lol.

maar13
09-02-2011, 10:03 AM
Not the same, but similar. It seems that when someone is pushed to the top spot, and is turned face, creative restricts their arsenal of moves to make the kids happy, but it makes them boring wrestlers to the rest of fans. Its been like that for a while now, and don't be surprised if it happens to Punk. Its not their fault, its creative for limiting their moveset, but its still annoying.

Ok I get that it is annoying but why it is always the same? "He has a limited move set", is that line the new "Cena Sucks" line? I mena is not aiming at you but in general seriously, all wrestlers in Mainstream (Not counting ROH yet") has alimited move set, especially faces, could be CM PUnk, Orton, Cena or even Daniel Bryan in WWE, in TNA Kurt, JJ, JH and even Samoa Joe and AJ has a limited move set. Unless it is a PPV wer are talking about most of them perform from 5 to 8 moves contantly.

I am not really a fan of Orton but Hell, that line is getting annoying too.

Reichwulf
09-02-2011, 10:28 AM
Ok I get that it is annoying but why it is always the same? "He has a limited move set", is that line the new "Cena Sucks" line? I mena is not aiming at you but in general seriously, all wrestlers in Mainstream (Not counting ROH yet") has alimited move set, especially faces, could be CM PUnk, Orton, Cena or even Daniel Bryan in WWE, in TNA Kurt, JJ, JH and even Samoa Joe and AJ has a limited move set. Unless it is a PPV wer are talking about most of them perform from 5 to 8 moves contantly.

Well i guess i'll reply to you since in my first post here that was one of my reasons i find ortan boring/dislike his current character.

I stand by the "limited move set" and will in fac state his move list is so repetitive that he can litterly predict his next move, move by move. That's the reason why people say it, because it's so easy to point out. None of the people you mentioned, use the same exact moves every match they have had, recently. Sure they use similiar styles maybe their signature moves.

But the punt, in between the ropes ddt, rko, and going crazy hitting the mat like a madman before he rko someone every single match, gets dull.

Sorry if you don't agree but that's my opinion on it. My other reasons, you can refer to my original post.

maar13
09-02-2011, 11:09 AM
Well i guess i'll reply to you since in my first post here that was one of my reasons i find ortan boring/dislike his current character.

I stand by the "limited move set" and will in fac state his move list is so repetitive that he can litterly predict his next move, move by move. That's the reason why people say it, because it's so easy to point out. None of the people you mentioned, use the same exact moves every match they have had, recently. Sure they use similiar styles maybe their signature moves.

But the punt, in between the ropes ddt, rko, and going crazy hitting the mat like a madman before he rko someone every single match, gets dull.

Sorry if you don't agree but that's my opinion on it. My other reasons, you can refer to my original post.

Look I am not here to defend the guy, if you don't like him, you have your reasons for it, my point is on the same line there and all the other I mentioned at some point did it, look at Dniel Bryan's latest matches and you can see the same exact order for the moves he uses, same goes for Punk as a face and Same goes for Cena.

On TNA maybe the order change a bit but don't tell me you can't see Kurt using the same routine, maybe with a variation or two in almost every match and the saem goes for Jeff Hardy.

The hits of the mat is not for the people n TV, is to pop up te crowd, is like the waiting for the Spear of Edge or HBK tuning up the band, which in important matches they never hit right away.

One thing I think they have done is over exposing in how many way he can hit the RKO, I mean at first it was very nice but now I see why people gets bothered by it.

But my point was not to say "Like Randy Orton, if not you are wrong" at all, everyone has his favorites or the ones that they don't like, what sometimes is starting to annoy me is the line I mentioned, is like the line "Cena can't wrestle" or "Cena has only five moves"...I don't like Cena's character but read them for 6 years has become old and the guy can wrestle, that he doesn't do it every time is a different issue.

Y2Jryder
09-02-2011, 11:47 AM
He is good in the ring, nothing special

Reichwulf
09-02-2011, 11:50 AM
But my point was not to say "Like Randy Orton, if not you are wrong" at all, everyone has his favorites or the ones that they don't like, what sometimes is starting to annoy me is the line I mentioned, is like the line "Cena can't wrestle" or "Cena has only five moves"...I don't like Cena's character but read them for 6 years has become old and the guy can wrestle, that he doesn't do it every time is a different issue.

I agree with what you were saying, i was just defending my opinion on that matter :)

Kid_Gangsta
09-02-2011, 12:21 PM
Yes Orton is boring on the stick. And last year, i hated watching Orton in the ring. Thats when he got the name Randy "Headlock" Orton, hes matches were just sooooooooo boring. The best of Orton was in 09, the road to WM where he was just white hot. He took out the McMahon family, and he kissed Stephanie on the lips. And he brawled with Hunter in his house. That Randy Orton was GOLD.

maar13
09-02-2011, 04:55 PM
Yes Orton is boring on the stick. And last year, i hated watching Orton in the ring. Thats when he got the name Randy "Headlock" Orton, hes matches were just sooooooooo boring. The best of Orton was in 09, the road to WM where he was just white hot. He took out the McMahon family, and he kissed Stephanie on the lips. And he brawled with Hunter in his house. That Randy Orton was GOLD.

Seriously? because back when he was a heel he used the HeadLock way more than he uses it now. And as a Hell, yes, 2009 was good for him.

SaberToothTigerz
09-02-2011, 05:23 PM
randy is not that bad
its the people who are bored of seeing him as champ that make him look bad.

The Brown One
09-02-2011, 05:30 PM

Like Reichwulf said, Orton overuses it. He does the same routine every match, and you can tell what move is coming next. He follows a Cena-like routine, except he gets a bit more offence in: Headlock, Clotheslines, Kick to the gut, Rope assisted DDT, Backbreaker (maybe), failed RKO attempt, Opponent failing to do a move, RKO "out of nowhere". That RKO out of nowhere phrase has no truth to it. We all know its coming right after Orton does his signature moves, followed by his opponent's failed attempt at one of theirs.

broc808
09-02-2011, 05:34 PM
Like Reichwulf said, Orton overuses it. He does the same routine every match, and you can tell what move is coming next. He follows a Cena-like routine, except he gets a bit more offence in: Headlock, Clotheslines, Kick to the gut, Rope assisted DDT, Backbreaker (maybe), failed RKO attempt, Opponent failing to do a move, RKO "out of nowhere". That RKO out of nowhere phrase has no truth to it. We all know its coming right after Orton does his signature moves, followed by his opponent's failed attempt at one of theirs.

i always found it really annoying when orton does a move and his opponent rolls under the ropes just so he can do that he should make it less obvious

The Brown One
09-02-2011, 05:36 PM
i always found it really annoying when orton does a move and his opponent rolls under the ropes just so he can do that he should make it less obvious

Exactly. Hes predictable, and an attempt like that to cover it up is pathetic.

LoGik
09-02-2011, 05:45 PM
i find it annoying that creative uses him to bury people like christian. i mean ONE clean loss wouldnt hurt him you know? his in ring is alright but its hard to enjoy the match when i already know hes gonna win.

The Brown One
09-02-2011, 06:03 PM
i find it annoying that creative uses him to bury people like christian. i mean ONE clean loss wouldnt hurt him you know? his in ring is alright but its hard to enjoy the match when i already know hes gonna win.

I think they put Christian in the main event to get the rub from Orton (yes it sounds horrible) or because they think hes Smackdown's other top main eventer.

johnnydropkicks
09-02-2011, 06:12 PM

I see what you're saying but I actually think they do that real well. It looks like they're trying to get some space for themselves by heading to the ropes.

broc808
09-02-2011, 06:14 PM
I see what you're saying but I actually think they do that real well. It looks like they're trying to get some space for themselves by heading to the ropes.

yes but if it happens every time dont you think they would expect it?

The Brown One
09-02-2011, 07:26 PM

Anyone over the age of 10 would expect it.

Russo swerve
09-02-2011, 07:42 PM
I wonder if that cornball zackryder was a regular on raw and was doing the same moves would u ppl complain then?

johnnydropkicks
09-02-2011, 07:51 PM

yeah but that's the whole point of it actually. that going to the ropes to get a breather is still in Orton's favor. couple times recently they went to the ropes just cause and it didn't run in. but yeah I realize it's a bit much but I'm just saying they've made it less obvious and more natural.

johnnydropkicks
09-02-2011, 07:53 PM
I wonder if that cornball zackryder was a regular on raw and was doing the same moves would u ppl complain then?

I guarantee there would be legions of IWC people bitching about the broski boot.

broc808
09-02-2011, 09:04 PM
Exactly. Randy Orton isn't that bad of a wrestler.

i dont think anyone is saying he is bad but more predictable i love orton but he does most of the same stuff in the ring but its not to big a deal cena has the same problem but i dont even mind that he does either

AreYaSerious
09-02-2011, 09:22 PM
Orton is the real deal man -Booker T

Beutiful Chaos
09-02-2011, 09:50 PM

They like Ryder because he has a funny gimmick. Ryder is only allowed to do 2 moves on Raw anyway, so its even worse than Orton.

Rich Cranium
09-02-2011, 10:01 PM
I'd say Orton has great in ring ability. Perhaps he is a bit over dramatic with the fists beating the mat but whatever works.

maar13
09-02-2011, 10:11 PM

Well like most faces. I am not covering up for him but the over used routine actually does not come from Cena, it comes from Bret Hart who really liked to use what was called "The 5 moves of Doom" (Now used for Cena), Bret was cool don't get me wrong, but always liked to hit his 5 signatuures in the exact same order, heel or face. Maybe that is why he likes Orton a lot too.

My point is, yes Orton is predictable, so is Cena (Duh),so was HHH and even HBK at times, especially during his first title reign, his finishing routine was always the same: running elbow, face stomp, scoop slam, Top rope Elbow drop, tuning the band and SCM.

The Brown One
09-02-2011, 10:36 PM
Well like most faces. I am not covering up for him but the over used routine actually does not come from Cena, it comes from Bret Hart who really liked to use what was called "The 5 moves of Doom" (Now used for Cena), Bret was cool don't get me wrong, but always liked to hit his 5 signatuures in the exact same order, heel or face. Maybe that is why he likes Orton a lot too.

My point is, yes Orton is predictable, so is Cena (Duh),so was HHH and even HBK at times, especially during his first title reign, his finishing routine was always the same: running elbow, face stomp, scoop slam, Top rope Elbow drop, tuning the band and SCM.

Firstly, thankyou for making discussions on the forum worthwhile again.
Secondly, the difference between HBK and Orton/Cena though, is that HBK knows how to make his matches the best thing you've seen. Maybe because when he faces his opponents, theres reasonably equal offense by both sides, whilst with a Cena/Orton match, you get their opponents dominating them the entire match until the end, when they hit their so called "5 moves of doom". I have rarely seen Cena/Orton stray away from that formula, except in Cena's recent match with CM Punk at MITB.

broc808
09-02-2011, 10:39 PM
I'd say Orton has great in ring ability. Perhaps he is a bit over dramatic with the fists beating the mat but whatever works.

let me say this i love the fist thing he just looks so determined with anger drueling all over the matt i love that makes him seem like he is in a zone or something its great

broc808
09-02-2011, 10:44 PM
I think people over-exaggerate when they say that Cena and Orton gets dominated in their matches most of the time. Yes, they do that sometimes but people act like they ALWAYS do that in their matches. Some faces do use that formula when they let the heels dominate for the face to come back from a beatdown so it isn't a new thing with Cena and Orton. Shawn Michaels has done it before but you never hear people complain about that.

HBK is the king at that and everybody loves him but thats just what faces do

Beutiful Chaos
09-02-2011, 10:47 PM
I like the fist pound. I do it before I powerbomb people when I do backyard wrestling.

broc808
09-02-2011, 10:47 PM
Agreed Broc. :D

i think HBK even did it a lot in his feud with cena speaking of that it reminds me of that 1 hour long match on raw thats one of my fav matches of all time

broc808
09-02-2011, 10:51 PM
Their match at Wrestlemaina is underrated. That is one of my favorite matches.

yes definitely WM23 was great overall taker batista was great as well

jelle1809
09-04-2011, 09:43 AM

On you're opinion, yes you are right. He showed it on Raw's Supershow. Maybe a better example would be all his PPV matches with Christian untill now.
An answer on you're question woul be: the reason people find him boring is the fact that he is considered (along with John Cena) to be the golden boy.

maar13
09-04-2011, 11:00 PM
Firstly, thankyou for making discussions on the forum worthwhile again.
Secondly, the difference between HBK and Orton/Cena though, is that HBK knows how to make his matches the best thing you've seen. Maybe because when he faces his opponents, theres reasonably equal offense by both sides, whilst with a Cena/Orton match, you get their opponents dominating them the entire match until the end, when they hit their so called "5 moves of doom". I have rarely seen Cena/Orton stray away from that formula, except in Cena's recent match with CM Punk at MITB.

Sorry for the late response.

Good point there but you also think Michaels had great matches, but his best period was after he came out of his Injury, because before that, every now and then he was just like Orton or Cena are right now. Orton is only 30 or 31, Cena is 34, they still have plenty of time to get to a better level, maybe not HBK, but better.

LoGik
09-05-2011, 10:52 PM
I think they put Christian in the main event to get the rub from Orton (yes it sounds horrible) or because they think hes Smackdown's other top main eventer.

i see what your saying i just hated how they turned him into a bitchy heel.