PDA

View Full Version : European Championships - Qualifying groups

VanHooliganX
08-29-2011, 11:13 PM
From Domestic to international play offs. It's now starting to get to the must win matches or you won't be in Poland/Ukraine in 2012.

What matches are you looking out for (As in going to be awesome to watch or a match you want a team to win)

My main focus for the 2nd isn't Bulgaria/England. It'll be Wales/Montenegro. Big match I believe since Wales need a win to get higher in the rankings and a win or draw helps England.

What about you dudes?

Juvenile Junkie
08-30-2011, 12:51 AM
Greece travel to Israel,will accept a draw
South AfricA(AFCON 2012) travel to Niger,expecting a win to wrap up the group and knock Egypt out,imagine that,the winner of the last 3 doesn't even make it

VanHooliganX
10-02-2011, 11:28 PM
Well its that time again. We're into the last 2 games for qualification.

Certain groups are stupidly close.
Scotland should go ahead by 1 point whilst Czechs face Spain. Only for Scotland then to face Spain and Czech face scotlands first fixture.
Ireland could qualify with a bit of luck.
Greece and Croatia are still fighting for first.
Bosnia and Herv could qualify over France if they beat them
Portugal have Norway and Denmark still breathing down there necks.
And Switzerland could steal Montenegros 2nd place in Englands group.

Good lord! What games do I watch @_@

Juvenile Junkie
10-07-2011, 08:53 AM
The Main Event teams(Spain,italy,Germany and Holland) have qualified,now its just a matter of finding the 10 teams that they will be beating at the Euro's next year along with the two hosts.

Kenny_Penfold
10-07-2011, 09:03 AM
Good lord! What games do I watch @_@[/QUOTE]

Don't watch the England v Montenegro because we're playing Barry and Zamora by the look of things. I don't expect anything with us now and I just hope for the best. I'd like to win and play well but we never get both. Hopefully someone can pop a Cap in Fabio's ass.

VanHooliganX
10-07-2011, 09:08 AM
Good lord! What games do I watch @_@

Don't watch the England v Montenegro because we're playing Barry and Zamora by the look of things. I don't expect anything with us now and I just hope for the best. I'd like to win and play well but we never get both. Hopefully someone can pop a Cap in Fabio's ass.[/QUOTE]

Whats wrong with Zamora and Barry?
They're great assisters, especially Barry.
I can easily argue they're more important than someone like Lampard.
Besides if Capello is trying them out let him. Its great to experiment for internationals and gives people who want to play for England a chance.

CGBigMan
10-07-2011, 09:12 AM
Lets go Montenegro

im guessing 2-1 to them

Kenny_Penfold
10-07-2011, 09:18 AM
Don't watch the England v Montenegro because we're playing Barry and Zamora by the look of things. I don't expect anything with us now and I just hope for the best. I'd like to win and play well but we never get both. Hopefully someone can pop a Cap in Fabio's ass.

Besides if Capello is trying them out let him. Its great to experiment for internationals and gives people who want to play for England a chance.[/QUOTE]

So Gareth Barry is the answer is he? I think he's fucking awful. Slow in midfield, breaks up the play and passes it to Parker. He used to bomb forward at Villa and now he looks pathetic. I don't think Lampard is the answer but if Wilshere and Gerrard are fit, he should be providing the tea at half-time. I don't dislike Zamora, I'd just prefer him to play Carroll but Zamora has good strength. He'll allow Rooney to play but I'd rather he played Adam Johnson and we went 4-2-4. All out attack.

Automatic
10-07-2011, 09:50 AM
I'm not missing Turkey vs Germany, that has fun written all over it, with Özil playing in Turkey.

Wade Barrett 1979
10-07-2011, 10:31 AM
After the last World Cup, I've given up on International Football to be honest! Since the first Tournament I recall watching, Mexico '86, it's just one crushing tournament after another! Until we fuck off the last of the so called, 'Golden Generation' and bring in an English manager, who understands the way we can and should play, I will continue to refuse to watch!!

Rant Over!!

VanHooliganX
10-08-2011, 03:34 AM
Besides if Capello is trying them out let him. Its great to experiment for internationals and gives people who want to play for England a chance.

So Gareth Barry is the answer is he? I think he's fucking awful. Slow in midfield, breaks up the play and passes it to Parker. He used to bomb forward at Villa and now he looks pathetic. I don't think Lampard is the answer but if Wilshere and Gerrard are fit, he should be providing the tea at half-time. I don't dislike Zamora, I'd just prefer him to play Carroll but Zamora has good strength. He'll allow Rooney to play but I'd rather he played Adam Johnson and we went 4-2-4. All out attack.[/QUOTE]

Not all midfielders have to be very fast, especially if you are good are ball control which he's quite good at and I don't see how passing to Parker is a bad thing :S
I do agree with the playing Caroll statement though because I feel Caroll hasn't had much of a chance. It wouldn't really hurt changing Rooney for people like Crouch, Welbeck, Caroll, Defoe or Bent. Anyone really. He needs to stop getting sent off ffs it doesn't help anyone but the opposition :(
Also unsure with 4-2-4. I haven't seen a team play that formation in ages but it would be interesting to see a team like England play it lol

Also, wow! Just wow!
Big games decided (see Greece vs Croatia, Estonia vs. N.Ireland and Serbia vs. Italy)
and more to come (Whoever Estonia play, Portugal vs. Denmark, France vs. Bosnia)
I'm so glad we've already qualified (hey at least we have this time)

Juvenile Junkie
10-08-2011, 07:51 AM
After the last World Cup, I've given up on International Football to be honest! Since the first Tournament I recall watching, Mexico '86, it's just one crushing tournament after another! Until we fuck off the last of the so called, 'Golden Generation' and bring in an English manager, who understands the way we can and should play, I will continue to refuse to watch!!

Rant Over!!

so what just because England are not as good as Spain,Holland,Italy and Germany doesn't mean you must give up International football altogether

Juvenile Junkie
10-08-2011, 07:57 AM
Stop hating on international football,playing for your country(if your not from England) is the highest honour in the game,with the World Cup being the pinnacle of a player's carear.

The success and failures of a national team exposes= all the flaws or strengths in each countries football.There are slutty clubs who give themselves up to Arab Sheiks like the worthless whores who support them,There are no idiots in the international game who come up with dumb ides like a match#39 or the human tampon that appoints martin Atkinson to referee Chelsea games when clearly he supports them,its all homegrown and honest talent!

And Jamie carragher is right,having a foreign coach is cheating! Steve Kean should be England's coach!

Wade Barrett 1979
10-08-2011, 08:50 AM
Stop hating on international football,playing for your country(if your not from England) is the highest honour in the game,with the World Cup being the pinnacle of a player's carear.

The success and failures of a national team exposes= all the flaws or strengths in each countries football.There are slutty clubs who give themselves up to Arab Sheiks like the worthless whores who support them,There are no idiots in the international game who come up with dumb ides like a match#39 or the human tampon that appoints martin Atkinson to referee Chelsea games when clearly he supports them,its all homegrown and honest talent!

And Jamie carragher is right,having a foreign coach is cheating! Steve Kean should be England's coach!

I don't hate International Football. I just don't watch it anymore, it's a personal choice!
I agree with you on the Carragher quote. England should have an English Manager

Kenny_Penfold
10-08-2011, 09:00 AM
I don't hate International Football. I just don't watch it anymore, it's a personal choice!
I agree with you on the Carragher quote. England should have an English Manager

We need an English manager but I don't know what the answer is. I worry about Harry Redknapp because he is obsessed with Lampard and talks about how he's still world class. Being his uncle and all that, he won't drop him and our midfield will stay quite slow. We'll have Barry and he'll chuck Gerrard with Lampard and we all know it doesn't fucking work.

I understand why you've fallen out of love with our internationals Mr Barrett because we're fucking terrible and I don't expect anything now. I was happy with a point last night and hopefully now that we're forced not to play Rooney, we'll look at giving Carroll a role and play Gerrard, Wilshere, Johnson, Young and someone else (not sure about Walcott). I'm waiting to win the Euromillions tonight and I'll pay Capello off.

Wade Barrett 1979
10-08-2011, 09:10 AM
We need an English manager but I don't know what the answer is. I worry about Harry Redknapp because he is obsessed with Lampard and talks about how he's still world class. Being his uncle and all that, he won't drop him and our midfield will stay quite slow. We'll have Barry and he'll chuck Gerrard with Lampard and we all know it doesn't fucking work.

I understand why you've fallen out of love with our internationals Mr Barrett because we're fucking terrible and I don't expect anything now. I was happy with a point last night and hopefully now that we're forced not to play Rooney, we'll look at giving Carroll a role and play Gerrard, Wilshere, Johnson, Young and someone else (not sure about Walcott). I'm waiting to win the Euromillions tonight and I'll pay Capello off.

I just think it would be best to strip down the squad and start again! Go for all fresh blood. Get rid of Gerrard (I'm a Liverpooll fan too), Lampard, Barry, Terry, Ferdinand et al. Considering we've won bugger all for 45 years, I'm sure most fans will wait a bit longer, if it means we have some chance in the future!
I think Redknapp is probably our best option at the moment, there's not many English managers at the top of the game!
Ha! I'll keep my fingers crossed for you then :p

Kenny_Penfold
10-08-2011, 09:30 AM
I just think it would be best to strip down the squad and start again! Go for all fresh blood. Get rid of Gerrard (I'm a Liverpooll fan too), Lampard, Barry, Terry, Ferdinand et al. Considering we've won bugger all for 45 years, I'm sure most fans will wait a bit longer, if it means we have some chance in the future!
I think Redknapp is probably our best option at the moment, there's not many English managers at the top of the game!
Ha! I'll keep my fingers crossed for you then :p

When I win Barrett, I'll give you a slice brother. I agree with the Redknapp stuff but he won't drop Lampard. We need a fresh 11 now and mine would be this for the start of the Euros (depending on form, injuries and all that shit). I'd like to see us play the 4-3-3 converted to a 4-5-1. Hart, maybe Smalling (don't trust Richards, Johnson) , Terry, Jones, Cole, Gerrard, Wilshere, Parker (cover on the left for Cole bombing forward), Johnson, Carroll, Young. Young having a blinder, Johnson great trickery, Carroll will be top class and the three in midfield you've got it all. Parker can sit and destroy and Wilshere can pull the strings and if his legs carry him Stevie G can get in the box. We wouldn't play long ball either because it wouldn't suit our players and Carroll's good with the ball at his feet. Or I quite like the idea of a 2-2-6. Smalling, Jones, Parker, Wilshere, Johnson, Gerrard, Walcott, Young, Carroll, Sturridge, Bent and just try and score for fun!!!!!

Wade Barrett 1979
10-08-2011, 09:42 AM
When I win Barrett, I'll give you a slice brother. I agree with the Redknapp stuff but he won't drop Lampard. We need a fresh 11 now and mine would be this for the start of the Euros (depending on form, injuries and all that shit). I'd like to see us play the 4-3-3 converted to a 4-5-1. Hart, maybe Smalling (don't trust Richards, Johnson) , Terry, Jones, Cole, Gerrard, Wilshere, Parker (cover on the left for Cole bombing forward), Johnson, Carroll, Young. Young having a blinder, Johnson great trickery, Carroll will be top class and the three in midfield you've got it all. Parker can sit and destroy and Wilshere can pull the strings and if his legs carry him Stevie G can get in the box. We wouldn't play long ball either because it wouldn't suit our players and Carroll's good with the ball at his feet. Or I quite like the idea of a 2-2-6. Smalling, Jones, Parker, Wilshere, Johnson, Gerrard, Walcott, Young, Carroll, Sturridge, Bent and just try and score for fun!!!!!

Cheers for that mate, if I should win I'll return the favour!!
Espeacially with Lampard having a little run of form, you're probably right about Redknapp!
2,2,6! That's a new one!!
English football is just wrong, from top to bottom! We need to start over, starting with changing grass roots football! We're too obsessed in this country with stamina and strength and pay no attention to skills and ball control!
The only player on the radar now, who has any potential to play at the top continetal levels of Spain ect, is Wilshere!
After watching us in abject failure, for the last 26 years of watching International football, it really grinds you down!!

VanHooliganX
10-08-2011, 09:57 AM

Good to see you're back to bash english ways again JJ :)

Kenny_Penfold
10-08-2011, 09:58 AM
Cheers for that mate, if I should win I'll return the favour!!
Espeacially with Lampard having a little run of form, you're probably right about Redknapp!
2,2,6! That's a new one!!
English football is just wrong, from top to bottom! We need to start over, starting with changing grass roots football! We're too obsessed in this country with stamina and strength and pay no attention to skills and ball control!
The only player on the radar now, who has any potential to play at the top continetal levels of Spain ect, is Wilshere!
After watching us in abject failure, for the last 26 years of watching International football, it really grinds you down!!

You've obviously seen more than me and I have good memories. I really started watching at Euro 96 when Gazza raped Colin Hendry, who I believe is still wiping the blood from his arse. It is very sad that we're rubbish and I got swept up in it all last year and mugged myself off. Never again though but I don't agree with the "let's change the kids mentality." You'll never be able to stop kids in midfield smashing each other and fancy players never last in our game because we don't allow them to develop. Our game is all about grit and pride and even if we showed that, it would be something. We have quality in Wilshere who could defintely get into the Spanish side. I think we've got good kids with McEachran, Lansbury, Flannigan, Chamberlain, Sturridge, Jones, Smalling so we've got them to come through fully to the senior team.

VanHooliganX
10-08-2011, 10:12 AM
You've obviously seen more than me and I have good memories. I really started watching at Euro 96 when Gazza raped Colin Hendry, who I believe is still wiping the blood from his arse. It is very sad that we're rubbish and I got swept up in it all last year and mugged myself off. Never again though but I don't agree with the "let's change the kids mentality." You'll never be able to stop kids in midfield smashing each other and fancy players never last in our game because we don't allow them to develop. Our game is all about grit and pride and even if we showed that, it would be something. We have quality in Wilshere who could defintely get into the Spanish side. I think we've got good kids with McEachran, Lansbury, Flannigan, Chamberlain, Sturridge, Jones, Smalling so we've got them to come through fully to the senior team.

1 of the most beautiful rapes of all time :)

Kenny_Penfold
10-08-2011, 10:17 AM
1 of the most beautiful rapes of all time :)

;) Oh yeah! The boy never recovered from that. I was going to reference another rape incident but maybe I should stay away from that business. Sick mind and all that mate. :)

Wade Barrett 1979
10-08-2011, 10:18 AM

Yeah I was going to reply about all the corruption in International football, all the bungs and vote buying for staging World Cups, the fact that there is a moron in charge of FIFA, all the cheating going on in Italy, the fact that most South American clubs are owned and run by thieves and muderers but I thought, why bother!! :)

Wade Barrett 1979
10-08-2011, 10:22 AM

That's one of the most hilarious quotes I've seen about that!! Fair play :p
We have got some good potential, coming through. Until I'm convinced, however, that we may actually turn up to a tournament and at least make a decent go of it and not just make massive dicks of oursleves, I'm still on a self imposed ban!!

Kenny_Penfold
10-08-2011, 10:25 AM
That's one of the most hilarious quotes I've seen about that!! Fair play :p
We have got some good potential, coming through. Until I'm convinced, however, that we may actually turn up to a tournament and at least make a decent go of it and not just make massive dicks of oursleves, I'm still on a self imposed ban!!

I might throw a few risque quotes in to mix things up so look out for them. Wade man just do what I do. I now don't get carried away. We needed a draw and even when we went 2-0 up, I just thought I'll take the draw. it's about going there, making a decent go and accepting that if we drew San Marino, we'd win 2-0. Whereas Holland beat them by 14 or something. That's where we are and I accept that. Get on board.

VanHooliganX
10-08-2011, 10:26 AM
;) Oh yeah! The boy never recovered from that. I was going to reference another rape incident but maybe I should stay away from that business. Sick mind and all that mate. :)

Aye. Poor Gazza. With all of Rooneys faults on the pitch (I mean anger based stuff obviously, he is stupidly talented with the ball). At least he isn't that bad...yet. He has cheated on his wife though.

Yeah I was going to reply about all the corruption in International football, all the bungs and vote buying for staging World Cups, the fact that there is a moron in charge of FIFA, all the cheating going on in Italy, the fact that most South American clubs are owned and run by thieves and muderers but I thought, why bother!! :)

Sepp Blater is an idiot. I don't care if hes a great accountant or businessman for them. He cannot run FIFA properly. He isn't good for the sport whatsoever. I can already predict who will win the next 3 world cups.
2014: Brazil or Argentina
2018: Any nation that is either stupidly cold or has a lot of snow in it, probably Russia themselves
2022: 1 of the african teams

Must suck when England, the creators and Brazil, the best in the world hate your guts, when they helped make this sport what it is!

Wade Barrett 1979
10-08-2011, 10:31 AM
Aye. Poor Gazza. With all of Rooneys faults on the pitch (I mean anger based stuff obviously, he is stupidly talented with the ball). At least he isn't that bad...yet. He has cheated on his wife though.

Sepp Blater is an idiot. I don't care if hes a great accountant or businessman for them. He cannot run FIFA properly. He isn't good for the sport whatsoever. I can already predict who will win the next 3 world cups.
2014: Brazil or Argentina
2018: Any nation that is either stupidly cold or has a lot of snow in it, probably Russia themselves
2022: 1 of the african teams

Must suck when England, the creators and Brazil, the best in the world hate your guts, when they helped make this sport what it is!

He's just basically a corrupt official, who has stayed in his job for so long through buying votes, loyalty and makiing other Federation Presidents rich, through his corruption, lying and turning a blind eye to everything that goes on!!!

VanHooliganX
10-08-2011, 10:36 AM
Although I am enjoying the discussion we're having WB1979 and Kenny.
I thought i'd share something a little interesting with you on the Euro Champs.

Pot 1 must have the 2 hosts, Ukraine and Poland in it and they're in group A and B(could be C for the other)
Then it is done in ranking. So:

Pot 1:
Ukraine
Poland
Spain
Holland
Pot 2:
Germany
Italy
England

So far those are the only teams to qualify. Then you have to remember France, Croatia, Portugal, Turkey, etc. Will qualify soon. So everyone should have a hard group. Spain and Holland included since they will face a very hard pot 2 opponent regardless.

In short, an interesting cup for next year (Assuming Estonia and Armenia don't qualify. lol)

Kenny_Penfold
10-08-2011, 10:38 AM

If we nailed every footballer for banging a girl apart from his missus, we wouldn't have a team. He does need to sort that anger out because he's losing the plot. Fergie never punished him for elbowing James McCarthy out of the DW Stadium though so he shares some of the blame because he comes out with the classic line: "Ye cannae take that away edge from the boy."

Wade Barrett 1979
10-08-2011, 10:40 AM

Pot 1 must have the 2 hosts, Ukraine and Poland in it and they're in group A and B(could be C for the other)

Pot 1:
Ukraine
Poland
Spain
Holland
Pot 2:
Germany
Italy
England

So far those are the only teams to qualify. Then you have to remember France, Croatia, Portugal, Turkey, etc. Will qualify soon. So everyone should have a hard group. Spain and Holland included since they will face a very hard pot 2 opponent regardless.

In short, an interesting cup for next year (Assuming Estonia and Armenia don't qualify. lol)

So England might not even get out the Group stage :p

Kenny_Penfold
10-08-2011, 10:42 AM

Pot 1:
Ukraine
Poland
Spain
Holland
Pot 2:
Germany
Italy
England

I'm not bothered who we get. I'd actually rather have a tougher group because we'll be at it straightaway. You saw it not just with us facing USA and Algeria, Spain had the same issues with Switzerland. Both sides thought they were fine and going through. Therefore, you need tests early on. I'll be pleased to get out of the group really, that's how low my expectations are.

Juvenile Junkie
10-08-2011, 01:58 PM

what part bashes England? C'mon,lets face it though,the amount of players who get injured just before international weekends,miss the international weekends,,but are suddenly for for thier clubs happens a lot to you guys,probably more than Spain,Italy and Germany put together,plus all those 20 year olds who retired early like Carragher and Robinson!

Footballers,who don't cheet: Kaka and Lucio are devoted christians.

Juvenile Junkie
10-08-2011, 02:05 PM
Euro 2016 is 24 teams,I can't see how the qualifiers will be exiting,its gonna be almost impossible for a big country not to qualify.

But what this does means is the former Yugoslav nations have a better chance,as do the Irish,Scottish and Welsh.

Heck Guus Hiddink might get San Marino into Euro2016.

Automatic
10-08-2011, 02:11 PM
Euro 2016 is 24 teams,I can't see how the qualifiers will be exiting,its gonna be almost impossible for a big country not to qualify.

But what this does means is the former Yugoslav nations have a better chance,as do the Irish,Scottish and Welsh.

LOL, he's not that lucky. But yeah, all the big surprises will be gone, so qualifying will much less interesting.

Wade Barrett 1979
10-08-2011, 03:56 PM

The only way San Marino will get to the Euro 2016 finals, is if a plague wipes out most of Europe, leaving only 24 teams and no qualifiers!!!

VanHooliganX
10-09-2011, 11:38 AM
what part bashes England? C'mon,lets face it though,the amount of players who get injured just before international weekends,miss the international weekends,,but are suddenly for for thier clubs happens a lot to you guys,probably more than Spain,Italy and Germany put together,plus all those 20 year olds who retired early like Carragher and Robinson!

Footballers,who don't cheet: Kaka and Lucio are devoted christians.

I didn't say England. I said english ways. You cannot hide you're the biggest critic in football on EWN and that you do bash certain stuff, sometimes English based tactics, teams, etc.

I'll show you next time you do it :)

Don't think i'm eating your head at this, i'm merely saying.

CGBigMan
10-09-2011, 11:54 AM
Lets go Scotland

All we need to do is beat Spain

...Well theres always next time

Juvenile Junkie
10-09-2011, 12:08 PM
Lets go Scotland

All we need to do is beat Spain

...Well theres always next time

Euro 2016. 24 teams qualify.

Italy beat Spain in September,2-1,and this was before Serie A had even started due to the strike.So it can be done,after all Italian football is in crisis,Italian football is in decline,in the past 10 years they have only won the Champions League 4 times,and have only won 1 world cup,terrible,so sad.

Juvenile Junkie
10-09-2011, 12:17 PM
But yeah, all the big surprises will be gone, so qualifying will much less interesting.

24 teams is too many.Maybe 20,with 4 groups of 5 at the final.here's what Euro 2008 could have been like:

Group: France,Italy,Holland,Romania and team numer 5:England
Group: Spain,Russia,Sweden,Greece and team number 5:Republic of Ireland
Group:Germany,Croatia,Poland,Austria and tema numer 5:Serbia(because its Croatia)
Group: Turkey,Portugal,Switzerland,Czech Republic and team number 5:Denmark(former winner)

VanHooliganX
10-11-2011, 04:00 PM
Well where the hell do I start.
Oh yeah, the start...Anyway!

Poland and Ukraine are hosts so they auto-qualify
Germany
Russia
Italy
France
Holland
Greece
England
Denmark
and Spain all won there group and best runners-up by miles was Sweden in Hollands group, so they qualify

A lot of big guns already in it and 4 more out of these 8 will follow:

Turkey (At the expense of Belgium)
Ireland
Estonia (At the expense of Serbia, yeah you read that right)
Bosnia
Croatia
Montenegro (So this clearly means they're better than Serbia now right, at least they finished 2nd in there group, this was at the expense of Switzerland)
Portugal (At the expense of Norway)
Czech Republic.

I for 1 hope Estonia qualify. I am a sucker for the underdog and would love them to knock out a big gun like Portugal or Croatia.

Juvenile Junkie
10-12-2011, 05:00 AM
Ireland in a play off,I hope they avoid Portugal.

The sensible thing to do would be to avoid Croatia,Bosnia and Montenegro playing each other,for obvious reasons.Serbia could have been in the play offs too,but missed out.That game that was cancelled due to their fans behaving like idiots against Italy has cost them.

Hey look,last night ,Portugal lost,Greece won and Angelos Charisteas scored the winning goal,sound familiar?

Juvenile Junkie
10-12-2011, 05:43 AM
iReland are seeded,along with Portugal,Czech republic and Croatia.

Bad news is it leaves Bosnia as possible opposition(with Montenegro,Estonia and Turkey)

wouldn't want to play turkey Guus Hiddink's teams always benefit from dodgy refereeing decisions.

Nemanja Viidic and Dejan Stankovic have reportedly retired from International football..........

VanHooliganX
10-12-2011, 06:20 AM
iReland are seeded,along with Portugal,Czech republic and Croatia.

Bad news is it leaves Bosnia as possible opposition(with Montenegro,Estonia and Turkey)

wouldn't want to play turkey Guus Hiddink's teams always benefit from dodgy refereeing decisions.

Nemanja Viidic and Dejan Stankovic have reportedly retired from International football..........

Who do you reckon will go through?
I gather they haven't been drawn yet but i'm interested to know who you believe will qualify and who doesn't have a hope in hell.

Pumpkinhead
10-12-2011, 10:13 AM
I think Portugal will be eliminated, Bosnia and Montenegro are tough competition, I wouldn't count out Turkey and Estonia either

Steve Austin
10-13-2011, 06:32 AM
I think Republic of Ireland will get through the play offs and the winners of Euro 2012, Germany. I think they are the only team that can beat Spain and I think they will. England will reach the semi final.

Wade Barrett 1979
10-13-2011, 06:50 AM
I think Republic of Ireland will get through the play offs and the winners of Euro 2012, Germany. I think they are the only team that can beat Spain and I think they will. England will reach the semi final.

Sorry mate but I doubt we'll make it that far!! We'll be lucky to get out the groups, if fat head is absent for the first two games!!!

VanHooliganX
10-13-2011, 06:58 AM
Sorry mate but I doubt we'll make it that far!! We'll be lucky to get out the groups, if fat head is absent for the first two games!!!

The problem with groups is a weak group could be something like England, Poland/Ukraine, Estonia and Ireland (something along those lines)
But then the other 3 groups are very hard and regardless of who qualifys we're then certain to get a hard quarter-final. So i'd rather England play someone hard to test them early on then give them easy street, cause we'd need a miracle to beat Italy or some good teams in this competition.

This is at leats going to make great entertainment. Regardless of who any team faces.

TheBeardOfZeus
10-13-2011, 07:15 AM
I feel sorry for Bosnia.

They push France all the way, barely missing out. Their reward? Portugal. Horray!

Anyway, Germany will win the Euro's this year, and I would be proud if we reached the semi's, but it'll probably be a quarter final exit

Steve Austin
10-13-2011, 07:31 AM

Haha I like to be optimistic :) Germany for the win!

Steve Austin
10-13-2011, 10:57 AM
The draw for those who haven't seen it ;)

•Turkey v Croatia
•Estonia v Republic of Ireland
•Czech Republic v Montenegro
•Bosnia v Portugal
•(Matches to be played 11/12 & 15 Nov)

I hope Ireland go through. They deserve it after the France world cup shenanigans.

Wade Barrett 1979
10-13-2011, 12:16 PM
Haha I like to be optimistic :) Germany for the win!

It's watching us for the last 25 years, makes you very cynical!! Plus, surprise, surprise Rooney gets a 3 match ban!! Group stages are looking harder, even before the draw!!

Steve Austin
10-13-2011, 12:25 PM
It's watching us for the last 25 years, makes you very cynical!! Plus, surprise, surprise Rooney gets a 3 match ban!! Group stages are looking harder, even before the draw!!

Yeah I know what you mean, I've been watching them for 15 years. 3!?! What an idiot, He could very well of cost England. Come on Carroll! Show your worth.

Wade Barrett 1979
10-13-2011, 12:31 PM
Yeah I know what you mean, I've been watching them for 15 years. 3!?! What an idiot, He could very well of cost England. Come on Carroll! Show your worth.

It does show our weakness though, take out one player and everyone expects us to struggle so much! It wouldn't have so much impact on say, Germany, Spain, Italy or Holland etc as they don't rely so much on one player!!
Carroll needs to have a good season with us! He's definitely a confidence player!

Steve Austin
10-13-2011, 01:49 PM
It does show our weakness though, take out one player and everyone expects us to struggle so much! It wouldn't have so much impact on say, Germany, Spain, Italy or Holland etc as they don't rely so much on one player!!
Carroll needs to have a good season with us! He's definitely a confidence player!

You make a good point there but the thing with Germany, Italy and Holland is don't think they have a player to the standard of Rooney, sure Germany and Holland have a lot of quality but Italy have gone a bit downhill as for Spain they just have an abundance of talent and one or two missing won't really change their team apart from maybe Villa and Xavi. It will be interesting to see what the final Euro squad will be. I'm calling a Carroll goal on Saturday in a 3-1 win and Suarez with 2.

Wade Barrett 1979
10-13-2011, 02:20 PM
You make a good point there but the thing with Germany, Italy and Holland is don't think they have a player to the standard of Rooney, sure Germany and Holland have a lot of quality but Italy have gone a bit downhill as for Spain they just have an abundance of talent and one or two missing won't really change their team apart from maybe Villa and Xavi. It will be interesting to see what the final Euro squad will be. I'm calling a Carroll goal on Saturday in a 3-1 win and Suarez with 2.

I would say Germany do, Ozil and Schweinsteiger are better possibly Gomez! I agree with Italy and Holland, although they are collectively stronger!

I hope you're right about the weekend :) Do you get a chance to go to Anfield?

VanHooliganX
10-13-2011, 02:57 PM

I semi see this as a pro rather than a con. Don't get me wrong, Rooney is hell of a player. But we rely heavily on a single striker to score most of our goals. Liniker, Shearer, Owen for a while and now Rooney.

International defenders usually heavily mark him so he barely touches it without being quite a way away from goal. This could be a great pro if someone like Defoe, Carroll, Crouch against the bigger teams, Johnson, etc. can show they're goalscorers. Rooney is pretty good for England, but this may work for than against (Probably against but the small percentage is there)
I believe Heskey has the best record with Rooney but thats cause Heskey assists more than scores. A player like Welbeck could be brill if they work very well for Man Utd (Its possible :))

Having said all that. I think our future in this tournament is going to be in the defence and midfield.
We're basically sorted with Hart. Good reflexes, young and confident against any striker.
Defence, No clue really. We have a lot of youth and a lot of Vets. I think he needs a decent mix of both but its however everyone see's a defence should be.
As for the midfielders, obviously get rid of the virus Lampard, he doesn't contribute whatsoever excluding penalties. Should take youth like Walcott and Adam Johnson who play well for England and Wilshere, Gerrard if he can should injuring himself for a few days. The rest no-one will agree with me on this but people like Milner, Barry, Parker and Downing. Yes, I get it. They're quite slow. Speed really isn't 9/10 of the law. Posession is and these 4 have good ball control and do what midfielders are supposed to do: Create plays, assist and defend. I know right! Completely wrong ;)

Well thats my 2 pennies worth. I've always had faith in Capello, just not the players he's forced to choose.

Steve Austin
10-13-2011, 03:09 PM
I would say Germany do, Ozil and Schweinsteiger are better possibly Gomez! I agree with Italy and Holland, although they are collectively stronger!

I hope you're right about the weekend :) Do you get a chance to go to Anfield?

Yeah maybe you're right they are quality and Gotze is proving to be amazing. Nah I don't I live i Plymouth and is hard enough to get tickets to a League cup game.

Wade Barrett 1979
10-13-2011, 03:13 PM
I won't repost your whole post mate, so I'll just answer :) It's going to be interesting to see what Capello does with Rooney, if we do get through the groups! I know he's said he won't be allowed to walk straight back in to the squad but It'll be a whole different kettle of fish, when they get over there! Especially if we're struggling and if we come up against a major player, in the first knockout round! I'd have Hart in goal, Terry, Cole, Cahill and Baines across the back. Gerrard, Wilshere, Downing and Young across the middle. Bent and Carroll up front! Although that will change about 100 times, over the season!!

Anyway, pack it in you guys, I said I didn't follow International footy anymore :p

VanHooliganX
10-13-2011, 03:15 PM
I won't repost your whole post mate, so I'll just answer :) It's going to be interesting to see what Capello does with Rooney, if we do get through the groups! I know he's said he won't be allowed to walk straight back in to the squad but It'll be a whole different kettle of fish, when they get over there! Especially if we're struggling and if we come up against a major player, in the first knockout round! I'd have Hart in goal, Terry, Cole, Cahill and Baines across the back. Gerrard, Wilshere, Downing and Young across the middle. Bent and Carroll up front! Although that will change about 100 times, over the season!!

Anyway, pack it in you guys, I said I didn't follow International footy anymore :p

Haha!
I apologise lol

Wade Barrett 1979
10-13-2011, 03:19 PM
Yeah maybe you're right they are quality and Gotze is proving to be amazing. Nah I don't I live i Plymouth and is hard enough to get tickets to a League cup game.

Wounder!! Yeah, I can imagine it's not viable coming from down there :(

Wade Barrett 1979
10-13-2011, 03:20 PM
Haha!
I apologise lol

Ha! No worries, I can talk about it, still don't have to watch :p

Automatic
10-13-2011, 03:26 PM
Group stages will be a BITCH.

Wade Barrett 1979
10-13-2011, 03:32 PM
Group stages will be a BITCH.

And then some!! I'll join you and become a Netherlands supporter! :)

Automatic
10-13-2011, 03:38 PM
And then some!! I'll join you and become a Netherlands supporter! :)

Yeah, we will need it, although I personally don't really care about it, for now, the World Cup still hurts me to much. I do think that will come around when Euro 2012 begins.

Wade Barrett 1979
10-13-2011, 03:44 PM
Yeah, we will need it, although I personally don't really care about it, for now, the World Cup still hurts me to much. I do think that will come around when Euro 2012 begins.

Yeah, same here! After the last World Cup, I gave up on Watching England and haven't seen any of the qualifiers but I know come next summer, I'll still be watching!

Juvenile Junkie
10-14-2011, 04:55 AM
ROONEY BANNED FOR 3 GAMES,wow thats 4 tournaments in a row where he does nothing!

at this rate He will go down in history as an EPL-specialist,his international carear has been a massive disappointment if you look at him at Euro 2004.

Messi,Ronaldo,Kaka have dominated a Champions League
Pirlo,Cannavarro,Zidane,Desailly,Brazillian Ronaldo,Ronaldinho,Rivaldo,Xavi,Iniesta,Xabi Alonso,David Villa,Podolski,Schweinsteiger,Klose,Sneijder,Forla n,Lahm have exelled at a World Cup,some have had their best form in one

But outside of the EPL,a mere domestic league,for me,he has failed,considering the talent he has.Heck,Lucas Podolski has a more fearsome reputation at international level than Rooney.Podolski!? the guy who flopped at Bayern,now plays for his home club,and got overlooked for a transfer to AS Roma for Osvaldo,this is sad and disappointing.

In better news,Ireland are playing Estonia.Hopefully they win and play France at the Euro's...................

Wade Barrett 1979
10-14-2011, 05:52 AM
ROONEY BANNED FOR 3 GAMES,wow thats 4 tournaments in a row where he does nothing!

at this rate He will go down in history as an EPL-specialist,his international carear has been a massive disappointment if you look at him at Euro 2004.

Messi,Ronaldo,Kaka have dominated a Champions League
Pirlo,Cannavarro,ZidaneI,Desailly,Brazillian Ronaldo,Ronaldinho,Rivaldo,Xavi,Iniesta,Xabi Alonso,David Villa,Podolski,Schweinsteiger,Klose,Sneijder,Forla n,Lahm have exelled at a World Cup,some have had their best form in one

But outside of the EPL,a mere domestic league,for me,he has failed,considering the talent he has.Heck,Lucas Podolski has a more fearsome reputation at international level than Rooney.Podolski!? the guy who flopped at Bayern,now plays for his home club,and got overlooked for a transfer to AS Roma for Osvaldo,this is sad and disappointing.

In better news,Ireland are playing Estonia.Hopefully they win and play France at the Euro's...................

Nothing like a bit of xenophobia on the forums, to make me chuckle!! :p

VanHooliganX
10-14-2011, 06:32 AM
Nothing like a bit of xenophobia on the forums, to make me chuckle!! :p

Aye same. Hes quite creative though with his hatred. Spreads it across anything English not just 1 specific thing :)

Tomsta666
10-14-2011, 07:10 AM
To be fair though, he has a point.

Rooney has done fuck all for England. Yes he's scored goals and whanot in qualifiers, but Jack Shit in tournaments proper.

Hopefully we get out of the group stages, get him back for the knockouts and he gives us a masterclass. Because we all know, he is definately capabe of it. Or is that just my pre-tournament English optimism talking...

TheBeardOfZeus
10-14-2011, 08:00 AM

Rooney has done fuck all for England. Yes he's scored goals and whanot in qualifiers, but Jack Shit in tournaments proper.

Hopefully we get out of the group stages, get him back for the knockouts and he gives us a masterclass. Because we all know, he is definately capabe of it. Or is that just my pre-tournament English optimism talking...

The fact we rely on Rooney to make England shine is laughable.

Has anyone seen Messi in an Argentina shirt? You need the whole clock to tick, not just one hand.

If we start him alone up front, he get's no support bar Young, he'll get mauled for not trying hard enough.

Group stages, we need to rely on youth. Welbeck and Sturridge up-front, providing they keep playing well in the league, and then move Rooney in next to one of the two, preferably next to Welbeck due to his club rep. Drop Walcott, play Johnson/Downing and Young on the wings, have Wilshire with Parker/Barry or even Cleverley, then risk Terry/Jones.

It worked with Spain, it's working with Germany, why not at least try it?

Wade Barrett 1979
10-14-2011, 08:15 AM

Oh absolutely he's right! England are so awful, I don't even follow them anymore! I don't think we'll even get out of the group! All I'll say is check out the posts on this and other football threads! I'm not bothered, as I say, It's quite hilarious!!

Wade Barrett 1979
10-14-2011, 08:19 AM
The fact we rely on Rooney to make England shine is laughable.

Has anyone seen Messi in an Argentina shirt? You need the whole clock to tick, not just one hand.

If we start him alone up front, he get's no support bar Young, he'll get mauled for not trying hard enough.

Group stages, we need to rely on youth. Welbeck and Sturridge up-front, providing they keep playing well in the league, and then move Rooney in next to one of the two, preferably next to Welbeck due to his club rep. Drop Walcott, play Johnson/Downing and Young on the wings, have Wilshire with Parker/Barry or even Cleverley, then risk Terry/Jones.

It worked with Spain, it's working with Germany, why not at least try it?

May as well, as you say there's nothing to lose! Our biggest problem though, isn't formation, selection or anything like this, it's purely a lack of world class players, unfortunately!!

Juvenile Junkie
10-14-2011, 08:41 AM
Any other country in Europe,they wouldn't have given a 3 game ban,just a thought.......

As a non-British person,I think the constant berading and bombarding of the EPL being the "best league in the world" and the arrogant manner that the tag gets tossed around by many british people(not all) as if it were officially documented fact doesn't do you guys favours when it comes to bans,world cup bids etc.Neither does calling FIFA corrupt when your World Cup bid fails(which again,never focused on England as a country,or the fact that you could host the event tommorrow,fill up every stadium,but the "best in the world" issue).Its not doing you guys any favours.

Why 3 games? well here's a thought,Chelsea have managed to get two top European referees to retire in Tom Ovrebo and Anders Frisk,plus for number 3,there was that ref from Euro 2004 with the Sol Campbell goal(which was a goal i thought),he had to change his email address,cell phone number,move houses,3 refs,3 game ban,Platini strikes back(would have been more if france had lost in the rugby)

BUT ON A SERIOUS NOTE:

Lord Triesman,a day before the verdict,announces that Sepp Blatter should step down and calls FIFA corrupt,c'mon,how can he be so stupid?Did he honestly think nothing would happen?

Juvenile Junkie
10-14-2011, 08:50 AM
[QUOTE=TheBeardOfZeus;290599]
QUOTE]

Crap coaches,which isn't his fault and remember they are not paying what England pay 2 Don Fabio,although they should hire someone of Capello's pre-England achievements.

Argentina don't know what their best XI is,they haven't a clue to what formation or style they want to play,then they make Mascherano captain,which has screwed them sideways,now they can't accomodate Mascherano and Cambiasso(who I think is better),because having both on the field means there is a creative shortage in midfield.

to sum up Argentina,they left Zanetti and Cambiasso out of their world cup squad,despite winning a treble @ Inter and being the only team to stop Barcelona,for Colochini and Jonas,who spent the season playing in the Coca Cola League.Richard Scudamore would be proud.

Juvenile Junkie
10-14-2011, 08:52 AM
May as well, as you say there's nothing to lose! Our biggest problem though, isn't formation, selection or anything like this, it's purely a lack of world class players, unfortunately!!

Italy and England both had disappointing World Cups,Italy's current squad,has very few survivors,and its working.

Wade Barrett 1979
10-14-2011, 11:12 AM
Any other country in Europe,they wouldn't have given a 3 game ban,just a thought.......

As a non-British person,I think the constant berading and bombarding of the EPL being the "best league in the world" and the arrogant manner that the tag gets tossed around by many british people(not all) as if it were officially documented fact doesn't do you guys favours when it comes to bans,world cup bids etc.Neither does calling FIFA corrupt when your World Cup bid fails(which again,never focused on England as a country,or the fact that you could host the event tommorrow,fill up every stadium,but the "best in the world" issue).Its not doing you guys any favours.

Why 3 games? well here's a thought,Chelsea have managed to get two top European referees to retire in Tom Ovrebo and Anders Frisk,plus for number 3,there was that ref from Euro 2004 with the Sol Campbell goal(which was a goal i thought),he had to change his email address,cell phone number,move houses,3 refs,3 game ban,Platini strikes back(would have been more if france had lost in the rugby)

BUT ON A SERIOUS NOTE:

Lord Triesman,a day before the verdict,announces that Sepp Blatter should step down and calls FIFA corrupt,c'mon,how can he be so stupid?Did he honestly think nothing would happen?

I agree with you, the corruption allegations and our press did nothing to help with our bid! If you believe FIFA and UEFA are uncorrupt, then that is the most naive viewpoint I've ever come across!!

Juvenile Junkie
10-14-2011, 02:54 PM
I agree with you, the corruption allegations and our press did nothing to help with our bid! If you believe FIFA and UEFA are uncorrupt, then that is the most naive viewpoint I've ever come across!!

Well,I'm South African,we hosted a World Cup,FIFA seem fine to me.No,jokes a side,Qatar for 2022??????WTF??????Qatar?They have such strict rules for selling of alcohol its ridiculous.Russia??????Really? Over Spain and England? that was bad.

Qatari football,I think other than the fact that Malaga were bought by the Shiek of Qater back in mid-2010,there aint to write about?

Back to the Rooney red card,Arshavin only got a 2 game ban 4 years ago........................but he's Russian

Automatic
10-14-2011, 03:09 PM
I can understand the Russia selection for a Euro Cup, they are almost are same as England ans Spain. Although their domestic competition isn't on par with England and Spain, it is good. And Russia has unlimited potential. So who knows what they could promise, which Spain and England couldn't Qatar on the other hand is ridiculous offcourse.

VanHooliganX
10-14-2011, 08:24 PM
I can understand the Russia selection for a Euro Cup, they are almost are same as England ans Spain. Although their domestic competition isn't on par with England and Spain, it is good. And Russia has unlimited potential. So who knows what they could promise, which Spain and England couldn't Qatar on the other hand is ridiculous offcourse.

I don't doubt Russias ability to host a decent world cup. But Spain/Portugal and England would of put on a better WC. All 3 countries have world class stadiums. I don't think Russia has 1 that can hold more than 80k is all i'm saying. They do have time to prove me wrong though. :)

Qatar however don't.
USA. 1 of the biggest sporting nations in the world. Literally bleeds out stadiums that are fit for another good world cup like last time they held it.
Australia do as well so I could've seen them winning it. But it goes to a country who barely have an FA?
So the Olympics told them they were not ready and couldn't be ready for ages when they applied to host that but its good enough for the WC?

Wade Barrett 1979
10-14-2011, 08:35 PM
Hmmmmm, I wonder what FIFA saw in the oil and gas, super rich Kindom of Qatar?!?!

It must be their lovely summers, we all know how nice it is to play in 50c heat!!!

Juvenile Junkie
10-15-2011, 03:58 AM
Hmmmmm, I wonder what FIFA saw in the oil and gas, super rich Kindom of Qatar?!?!

It must be their lovely summers, we all know how nice it is to play in 50c heat!!!

Maybe its to get more rich Middle Eastern folk into football.Look at the difference the money has done for Sporting Lisbon,Malaga,PSG and Manchester City. Getafe were bought over too,but haven't spent any money yet.By 2022,thanks to Arab wealth, the Champions League final could very well be Scunthorpe United vs Borussia Moenchengladbach.

Juvenile Junkie
10-15-2011, 04:04 AM
England hosting the Olympics,Rugby Union and rugby League world cups in the space of 4 years,does anybody in the UK think his was a factor?

And c''mon 3 events in four years,ain't bad,many countries will host 1 event in 50 years.

As for being tournament greedy,South Africa take the cake.despite unemployment,education,poverty and transport problems,We always seem to get picked for football(2010 and AFCON 2012) and cricket(1 world cup,champions trophy,T20 world cup,IPL,T20 champions League,world cup qualifiers for 2011 CWC),its very strange and suspicious,whilst enjoyable.Something is up.......