PDA

View Full Version : WWE Ratings

Kid_Gangsta
08-28-2011, 09:55 AM
I've been thinking, what the hell happened to the ratings in the WWE!? Raw is now pulling a 3.0-3.2? And i don't even know what Smackdown! and Superstars is pulling now. I would assume SD! pulls a 1.7-1.9 now. Like really. i clearly remember RAW back in 06-07 pulling 3.7-4.0. And Smackdown! pulling in the low 2.0's. And remember 06-07 was considered the "dark years". There was all TYPES of fuckery on RAW like Spirit Squad, Cena CRUSHING everybody, Vince vs God, that ECW "invasion". Need I keep going lol?

And now look at it. Granted RAW isnt the best right now, but its watchable, and the writers are making storylines that makes the viewers WANT to tune in every week. Correct me if im wrong, but I thought i read somewhere that on this past week of RAW, the CM Punk segment fell down to like a 2.9. And that is supposed to be like the main out going storyline of the WWE, Diesel returning, etc. Wow

Ratings are NOT a big deal, and should NOT be a big deal, but its just something I have been thinking about lately. You can't blame the slipping ratings on the MMA either because they have their fans and wrestling has it's fans. Give me your thoughts. http://i55.tinypic.com/166nkhv.gif

Reloval
08-28-2011, 10:26 AM
The rating numbers don't really matter, the ratings dropping has alot to do with more people overall watching TV. Raw is still hitting 4.5 million veiwers and above every week which would be closer to a 4-4.6 rating back 10 years ago. Today it's around a 3. The bigger concern is the drop of PPV buys, which has largely to do with the easy of finding free internet streams.

monctonvike
08-28-2011, 10:35 AM
wwe will bounce back people forget its august and not everyone has a dvr, people are on vacation, people are back to school shopping and heading off to university. Lets not forget i believe there was a monday night football game (pre season) between chicago and new york both huge markets.

Wrestling as a whole has been in a decline in ratings for like ten years now. TNA almost hit an a very low rating two weeks ago. the rating went back up some this week and I think Raw's will too.

Maybe some of this kayfabe breaking shot sruff thats going doesn't sit well with the general audience many of them might not know what they are talking about AT TIMES. We all know its just a show but when I am watching raw or impact or another show like roh dgusa maybe a ppv or whatever. For those two or three hours I don't like being reminded thats its just a show, I like to get lost in the magic so to speak

Kid_Gangsta
08-28-2011, 10:36 AM
The rating numbers don't really matter, the ratings dropping has alot to do with more people overall watching TV. Raw is still hitting 4.5 million veiwers and above every week which would be closer to a 4-4.6 rating back 10 years ago. Today it's around a 3. The bigger concern is the drop of PPV buys, which has largely to do with the easy of finding free internet streams.
True, and once again, all those things falls on WWE again and their ability to intrigue the viewing audience and convince us to invest time and money in their product. They simply have not been doing that these past couple of years

xAzureSkye
08-28-2011, 10:37 AM
The internet is a cause of downfall of ratings, spoilers now mean people can choose whether to watch Smackdown. Big names leaving wrestling and the whole scenario of wrestling changing from the 80s to the attitude era to now.

Rilla
08-28-2011, 10:58 AM
A lot of people are realizing that watching it is becoming easier, when they DVR it, YT it, Stream it(PPVs). Why watch it when it comes on, when you have the ability to watch it later, without the commercials, at your own leisure? And wrestling isn't as popular it used to be, WWE isn't trying that hard, to make a entire show that people want to watch. They are depending only on their main event, and more or less, putting everything else on the backburner.

HCollins-TNA1
08-28-2011, 11:48 AM
Also you can watch a majority of any wrestling shows on the internet....

HCollins-TNA1
08-28-2011, 11:50 AM
The big thing I have been talking about is the creative team.... We need some new faces in creative who knows about writing and putting it into a story and on TV....

KingOrton
08-28-2011, 12:32 PM
Just my little side note but

-50% of the time I watch Raw the next day or later that night on a wrestling website (I don't count as a viewer)
-100% of the time I watch Smackdown the next day or later that night (Or even on a international stream so I watch it Friday Mornings) on a wrestling website (I don't count as a viewer)
-100% of the I watch TNA the next day (I don't count as a viewer)
-100% of the time I watch WWE and TNA PPV's live via free stream (I don't count as a PPV buy)

Now i'm sure i'm not the only one that does that sooo there is your drops right there.

KJ PUNK
08-28-2011, 01:07 PM
Why do people still talk about ratings even though RAW is still the highest or second-highest rated show on Monday night? People don't watch TV as much or they just DVR it and that kills the ratings.

Kid_Gangsta
08-28-2011, 01:25 PM
My question is, for the people who own DVR players, why DVR RAW? Smackdown! is understandable because its on a dumb timeslot. If you know a DVR is a factor in the decrease in viewership, why keep doing it?

KJ PUNK
08-28-2011, 01:27 PM
My question is, for the people who own DVR players, why DVR RAW? Smackdown! is understandable because its on a dumb timeslot. If you know a DVR is a factor in the decrease in viewership, why keep doing it?

I think people would rather just watch things on their own time now a days. I only DVR shows that I'm either not home to watch or have to make a decision between 2 or more shows.

ObscureRessurection
08-28-2011, 01:49 PM
I think the reason for the drop in ppv buys has something to do with there being too many of them. At a time when they were doing GREAT the ppv's they showed were sporadic, and not as common as waking up in the morning. If you give people a spectacular every single month it eventually loses the charm it had that made it so great. It also, believe it or not, might have something to do with the pay per view name changes. People can be stingey that way. The show ratings as a whole I do not think that it really matters right now. The WWE is doing well against other popular shows that are constantly going head-to-head with the WWE. It is to be expected.

GreatMuta4life
08-28-2011, 03:35 PM
I think the reason for the drop in ppv buys has something to do with there being too many of them. At a time when they were doing GREAT the ppv's they showed were sporadic, and not as common as waking up in the morning. If you give people a spectacular every single month it eventually loses the charm it had that made it so great. It also, believe it or not, might have something to do with the pay per view name changes. People can be stingey that way. The show ratings as a whole I do not think that it really matters right now. The WWE is doing well against other popular shows that are constantly going head-to-head with the WWE. It is to be expected.

I agree. Not only are there far too many ppvs, but they are far too expensive. The prices of ppvs, in light of the current global economy and in light of the availability of free streams, is truly ridiculous.

AOF666
08-28-2011, 03:58 PM
Not only DVR is a factor but also lack of storylines has to do with it. Who wants to see HHH, Punk, Cena, and Nash for 2 hours straight?

FLWWEFan
08-28-2011, 04:11 PM
Wrestling right now is not HOT, back in the 90's when we had the Monday Night Wars going on wrestling was real HOT as people were turning in because they didn't know what to expect. It was great, WCW had everyone guessing as to who was gonna show up next to join the nWo, and they had some really good feuds going on. WWE had Austin, Rock, Taker, HBK in the primes of their careers. Everyone know today that WWE is not what it was in the late 90's/early 2000's. The internet is part to blame as well, back in the 90's not everyone had internet now with just about everyone having access to the internet at home a lot of people look at the rumors and so forth and basically know what's going to happen for the most part. The internet took a lot of that WOW factor away. That's the one thing I agree with Vince Russo on and that's that the internet killed pro wrestling. When you think about it, it has played a big factor. And that's why Vince hates the internet...it hurt his business a little even though the WWE is still going strong, he has no competition now thus there's not any sort of pressure on them to really create something really exciting as far as angles go. The CM Punk/Triple H angle is the angle that is really holding up WWE right now. Yeah there's a few other small angles going around right now but if it was back in the day or if they had some competition I guarantee WWE would have a few more strong angles going on. That's my take anyways.

ObscureRessurection
08-28-2011, 04:42 PM
I agree. Not only are there far too many ppvs, but they are far too expensive. The prices of ppvs, in light of the current global economy and in light of the availability of free streams, is truly ridiculous.

Exactly. If they are going to have that many PPV's back-to-back then they should at least do us a favor an drastically drop the price of those PPV'S down. Half of the time they are not even worth the value. I think the only PPV worth that much is Wrestlemania for obvious reasons. But all the PPV's have been lately are SuperShow's with a fancy name stamped on it. They really don't do anything special, and people shouldn't have to pay 60 freakin' dollars just to watch the same shit you could see the following monday. Also, they spoil Sundays PPV on the RAW that follows anyway so buying it is pretty much worthless too.

ChosenOne
08-28-2011, 05:56 PM
In my defence, I record / DVR RAW as it's on at 2AM UK time here, and I do have work to do the next day! I watch it the next day or two.

straightedge916
08-28-2011, 07:10 PM
I DVR it mostly so i can skip through the commercials.

HCollins-TNA1
08-30-2011, 11:55 AM
I DVR it mostly so i can skip through the commercials.
As I mentioned elsewhere I believe ratings is getting where they don't matter anymore unless they bomb week after week....
So many factors play into not watching a show these day... DVRs and recording shows, and internet broadcasts... Just to name the 3 main factors..