PDA

View Full Version : Mid-card championships prestige

Markedoutforlife
08-28-2011, 09:29 AM
Remember the days of macho man, bret hart, or even shawn michaels holding the ic strap?

My thought is to have cena and orton fighting for each brands respective mid card title. Nice legthy title runs and then have actual mid carders feud with either of them so the mid card can become relevant.

Thoughs? Questions? Concerns?

A.Graham
08-28-2011, 09:47 AM
Long title runs and beating established stars every now and then will do it

the-rocks-stunner
08-28-2011, 09:48 AM
if orton held the ic title you'd get loads of people moaning that he's not getting a push for the WHC title... thats why i hate some iwc'ers

aweso_me
08-28-2011, 10:56 AM
the only person to give prestige to the ic title is Y2J.

Automatic
08-28-2011, 11:08 AM
We're the mid-card titles ever considered really prestigious? And I don't mean looking back to a certain time in the past but at the present time?

jordan1995
08-28-2011, 11:15 AM
when chris jericho finished touring if he comes back they should have him hold.....then have a fued with ryder with jericho putting ryder over and Ryder winning the intercontinental tittle.

Kid_Gangsta
08-28-2011, 11:21 AM
Terrible idea. The IC tittle was used as a stepping stone for the WWE Tittle. You mention Savage, HBK, Bret, but they were not main event players when they were feuding for the strap. All they need to do is FOCUS on their mid card tittles, well ALL their tittles in general. The feuds MUST be about the TITTLE and ONLY the tittle. Guys need to desire to be the champ and their promos should show it. WWE has a solid mid card on both shows, so its not like they are lacking the characters to do it, they just need to pull their heads out of their asses and make the tittles important again.

The_Awesome_One
08-28-2011, 12:12 PM
to quote myself from another thread

This is not a rant at you personnally

by why does everybody say, oh so and so is been wasted they should be in the world title picture blah, blah, blah , then the next thing you know they are moaning at the lack of good mid card wrestlers and the poor prestige of the US and intercontinental titles, just look at the list of great superstars of yester year who went their whole career without winning the world title and are still considered some of the greatest.

IMO they should build the whole mid card of smackdown around Cody instead of pushing him into the Main event picture just to be buried by Orton the guy is only 25 years old there is no reason they need to 'rush' him into the main event as soon as he starts to gain the slightlest bit of momentum, just look at swagger and kofi after his fued with Legacy.

evryone seem sto think that to be a world class superstar you need to be in the WHC/WWE title picture, but IMO this is only the case because the mid card titles are poor right now if they showcase them abit more at bigg PPVs and give people lengthy runs and decent rivalries.

a way they could do this is have Cody VS Orton in a title unification match have Orton win so he can go down in the book as one of the only two guys to hold the WHC and IC title at the same time hold it until about rumble time where he loses it back to cody in a three way match then these two fued until mania then who knows

Russo swerve
08-28-2011, 12:40 PM
when chris jericho finished touring if he comes back they should have him hold.....then have a fued with ryder with jericho putting ryder over and Ryder winning the intercontinental tittle.

What a bad idea zack ryder is nothin

Russo swerve
08-28-2011, 12:41 PM
if orton held the ic title you'd get loads of people moaning that he's not getting a push for the WHC title... thats why i hate some iwc'ers

I gotta agree wit u here

Jags
08-28-2011, 12:59 PM
I think the current champions give prestige to the mid-card championships but they need better feuds.

Dolph Ziggler is a great US Champion, but he shouldn't feud with Alex Riley who is pretty new in full-time action. He gets a huge pop from the crowd yes, but right now Dolph needs to feud with an upper-midcarder who has been there for a while. In my opinion he should have a feud again with John Morrison, he had several shots at the WWE Championship but WWE thinks he's not ready yet so he's out of the picture right now. I think a feud again between the two should add prestige to the US Championship as I enjoyed their Intercontintal feud to while they had much less status.

Cody Rhodes is also a great Intercontinental Champion, this year he really made his gimmick work and had some great feuds. The only feud I didn't like was with Ezekiel Jackson, the last champ. I'm not sure who should be a good feud for Cody right now, their aren't really great upper midcard faces except Daniel Bryan but he's already MITB. Perhaps Sin Cara, but first he's probably going to feud with Dibiase. It has potential though, Dibiase is an allright performer.

BlazersDozen
08-28-2011, 01:25 PM
The IC title used to be given to guys as a test run to see how they work with a championship & to also further push them towards that direction of main eventing.

Now it seems like EVERYONE on the roster has held either the US or IC titles. Totally kills the prestige. Also kills it when they put it on guys, then when it's removed, they start jobbing or becoming irrelevant when they should be going the other way.

I think the better idea would to put it on R-Truth before he started fueding with Cena, THEN push him to challenging Cena. I am totally against Alex Riley holding the belt already. It took Cena 2 or 3 years just to get the US Title from Big Show at Wrestlemania 20.

Reading that last sentence really makes you realize the big difference between today & yesterday...

kashani1984
08-28-2011, 02:31 PM
Personally what I think WWE should have done is hen Punk left with the WWE title, they should have made the US title the only singles title on RAW, this would have elevated the US title status, made it look more prestigious, and also Dolph would have been the champ. So even have Doph fued with Cena in Punks departure would have been nice for the US title, and Cena could have brought back his (Sstupid in my opinion) Spinning US title. Then maybe Cena & Miz fued over the title, when Punk all of a sudden appears during there match, costing Cena the title, setting up the Punk, Cena fued, and Miz withthe US title (the guy just main evented WM so would have put the US title back on the map)

The IC title... well thats had a fall from grace. I like where they are going with this CodyRhodes & Orton story, hopefully they continue it, and Cody canb get the IC title into main event status. Maybe even winning the WHC and holding the IC title in the process.

Personally I tink the problem in wwe is 2 things. well 3 if you include the tag team division, but I done a blog on that already. 1. The seperate brands. needs to go, we need to get all the main stars on RAW, and use smackdown for the lower & Upper card wrestlers with main eventers appearing now and again to build there fueds & storys. 2. There is to much championships in WWE. If they stop the brand split and unify the WHC and WWEtitle. Keep the tag titles (fix the division) unify the US &IC title so there would be WWE title,IC and Tag Team, Also Divas title & Bring back the cruiserweight title. & if wwe really want a lower card title, they should introduce either a TV title or bring back the hardcore division and add the 24hr rule to the belt again.

Rich Cranium
08-28-2011, 02:52 PM
the only person to give prestige to the ic title is Y2J.

Really? What about Mr. Perfect, Rick Rude, etc?

tshizzy34
08-28-2011, 03:01 PM
Just use the talent that's already within the brand, instead of always ignoring the potential that's right in front of them!

AOF666
08-28-2011, 04:11 PM
Or just put more focus on the IC title. Have to wresters desire to be IC champ.

tysteelman
08-28-2011, 04:32 PM
The IC title used to be given to guys as a test run to see how they work with a championship & to also further push them towards that direction of main eventing.

Now it seems like EVERYONE on the roster has held either the US or IC titles. Totally kills the prestige. Also kills it when they put it on guys, then when it's removed, they start jobbing or becoming irrelevant when they should be going the other way.

I think the better idea would to put it on R-Truth before he started fueding with Cena, THEN push him to challenging Cena. I am totally against Alex Riley holding the belt already. It took Cena 2 or 3 years just to get the US Title from Big Show at Wrestlemania 20.

Reading that last sentence really makes you realize the big difference between today & yesterday...

I disagree. If you notice, the reign of each champ is longer in mid card titles. And in the past few years, its been usually abou 3 or 4 guys who alternate the title. Like Kofi, Morrison, Ziggler, Miz, with a few others gettig the short reigns. I think WWE has a really good mid card and they always steal every show, and I also think WWE sees this.

kersh
08-28-2011, 04:56 PM
how about when Stone cold and Triple H teamed up, Austin as champ and Triple H as IC champ. they ruled the company then

jeff hardy even beat triple H for the title. Trips won it back the following week but that was considered a massive upset

By0nd_Perfect
08-28-2011, 10:13 PM
Long title runs and beating established stars every now and then will do it

^^ This. Give the champions tough competitors and allow them to win in amazing fashion. And please give out some confetti and some tears, championships are supposed to mean you're the best at what you do, provide some emotion and acknowledgement for this.
:cool:

zrdt12
08-28-2011, 11:13 PM
I just don't understand why they don't just throw away the IC/US titles if they aren't going to use them. Past feuds like Rey/Rhodes and Punk/Orton should have included those titles since they weren't being used. The US title match at mania was dark and it featured two of the best in wrestling.... and right now they are both getting pushed like crazy. It just doesn't add up.

zrdt12
08-28-2011, 11:16 PM
Personally what I think WWE should have done is hen Punk left with the WWE title, they should have made the US title the only singles title on RAW, this would have elevated the US title status, made it look more prestigious, and also Dolph would have been the champ. So even have Doph fued with Cena in Punks departure would have been nice for the US title, and Cena could have brought back his (Sstupid in my opinion) Spinning US title. Then maybe Cena & Miz fued over the title, when Punk all of a sudden appears during there match, costing Cena the title, setting up the Punk, Cena fued, and Miz withthe US title (the guy just main evented WM so would have put the US title back on the map)

The IC title... well thats had a fall from grace. I like where they are going with this CodyRhodes & Orton story, hopefully they continue it, and Cody canb get the IC title into main event status. Maybe even winning the WHC and holding the IC title in the process.

Personally I tink the problem in wwe is 2 things. well 3 if you include the tag team division, but I done a blog on that already. 1. The seperate brands. needs to go, we need to get all the main stars on RAW, and use smackdown for the lower & Upper card wrestlers with main eventers appearing now and again to build there fueds & storys. 2. There is to much championships in WWE. If they stop the brand split and unify the WHC and WWEtitle. Keep the tag titles (fix the division) unify the US &IC title so there would be WWE title,IC and Tag Team, Also Divas title & Bring back the cruiserweight title. & if wwe really want a lower card title, they should introduce either a TV title or bring back the hardcore division and add the 24hr rule to the belt again.

Randy Orton is the only main eventer on Smackdown btw. This is already done minus one unlucky person.

steveorton
08-29-2011, 08:12 AM
Remember the days of macho man, bret hart, or even shawn michaels holding the ic strap?

My thought is to have cena and orton fighting for each brands respective mid card title. Nice legthy title runs and then have actual mid carders feud with either of them so the mid card can become relevant.

Thoughs? Questions? Concerns?

I don't think this would work. Both Cena and Orton are bigger than those titles and they should be used to promote midcarders to main eventers through long title reigns, I'm jus sayin...

Robareid
08-29-2011, 10:21 AM
I don't think this would work. Both Cena and Orton are bigger than those titles and they should be used to promote midcarders to main eventers through long title reigns, I'm jus sayin...

I second that, apart from the I'm jus sayin part