PDA

View Full Version : If You Could Bring Back 1 (Or More) PPV Event(s) From The Past, What Would It Be?

tshizzy34
08-28-2011, 03:32 AM
So since it has been discussed around here lately, that it seems most ppl are unhappy about how close some ppv's run together, I thought that this would be a great chance to ask you all this. If you could revive one (or more if you'd like) ppv from the past, what would it be? I don't care if it was a Raw, SD, WCW, or ECW Exclusive event, that doesn't matter, because if we brought it back it would be for Raw & SD superstars to compete in and no longer exclusive to 1 brand.

THIS is the list of upcoming ppv's up thru next year's Mania, so these will all be considered current ppv's so they are not eligible for this question. Night of Champions, Hell In A Cell, Vengeance, Survivor Series, TLC, Royal Rumble, Elimination Chamber, Wrestlemania.

THIS is the list of all the past ppv's I was able to find. Some of them used to be brand exclusive or International Events only, but I am adding them for the sake of my question. The Events Are A Mix of Past WWF/WWE/SD/WCW/ & ECW PPV'S! (Please Note I Did Not Add In City Exclusive Events, Like This Tuesday In Texas & Chi-Town Massacre etc.)

(1.) NEW YEAR'S REVOLUTION, (2.) BAD BLOOD, (3.) BRAGGING RIGHTS, (4.) UNFORGIVEN, (5.) CYBER SUNDAY, (6.) TABOO TUESDAY, (7.) ARMAGEDDON, (8.) NO WAY OUT, (9.) JUDGEMENT DAY, (10.) THE GREAT AMERICAN BASH, (11.) NO MERCY, (12.) DECEMBER TO DISMEMBER, (13.)THE WRESTLING CLASSIC, (14.) KING OF THE RING, (15.) IN YOUR HOUSE, (16.) OVER THE EDGE, (17.) FULLY LOADED, (18.) INVASION, (19.) ONE NIGHT STAND, (20.) BACKLASH, (21.) THE BASH, (22.) BREAKING POINT, (23.) CAPITAL CARNAGE, (24.) REBELLION, (25.) INSURREXTION, (26.) SOULED OUT, (27.) SIN, (28.) WRESTLEWAR, (29.) SUPERBRAWL, (30.) UNCENSORED, (31.) GREED, (32.) SPRING STAMPEDE, (33.) CAPITAL COMBAT, (34.) SLAMBOREE, (35.) BEACH BLAST, (36.) BASH AT THE BEACH, (37.) HOG WILD, (38.) ROAD WILD, (39.) NEW BLOOD RISING, (40.) FALL BRAWL, (41.) HALLOWEEN HAVOC, (42.) STARRCADE, (43.) BATTLEBOWL, (44.) MAYHEM, (45.) HOLIDAY HELL, (46.) GUILTY AS CHARGED, (47.) LIVING DANGEROUSLY, (48.) BARELY LEGAL, (49.) WRESTLEPALOOZA, (50.) HARDCORE HEAVEN, (51.) HEAT WAVE, (52.) ANARCHY RULZ, (53.) NOVEMBER TO (54.) REMEMBER, (55.) AS GOOD AS IT GETS, (56.) HOUSE PARTY

tshizzy34
08-28-2011, 03:34 AM
My Picks Would Be

In Your House
Halloween Havoc
The Great American Bash
Slamboree

The Brown One
08-28-2011, 03:59 AM
King of the ring. If the WWE was to replace a PPV for it, I'd get rid of Survivor Series - it can't draw anywhere as much as it used to.

blink
08-28-2011, 04:01 AM
Easy! War games!

HeelTurn
08-28-2011, 04:02 AM
King of the Ring, do it before Summerslam, maybe instead of Over the Limit or Capital Punishment.

Brewer 314
08-28-2011, 04:03 AM
Bad Blood
Backlash
Armageddon
No Mercy
Fully Loaded
Over The Edge
No Way Out
Judgement Day

Roy
08-28-2011, 04:48 AM
Breaking Point. Good one for submission matches! Yes, a gimmick ppv but as it is they've so many. This one would be great. Wrestlers who don't have any submission moves would adapt to some new moves for this ppv. [Legacy vs DX.] I loved it, personally.

New Blood Rising. Um, the name sounds great. Perhaps for young superstars?

Wade Barrett 1979
08-28-2011, 04:49 AM
I'd have to go for King of the Ring!

Also wasn't, In Your House, used for nearly every PPV, outside the main 3 hour ones! It's what the 'E' used when they started doing more regular PPV's to compete with WCW, such as In Your House Mind Games or In Your House Rock Bottom etc!

ObscureRessurection
08-28-2011, 04:51 AM
Bad Blood
Backlash
Armageddon
No Mercy
Fully Loaded
Over The Edge
No Way Out
Judgement Day

Hey look at that! You pretty much made the same exact list I was planning on making. Also, I always thought that No Way Out would have been a great ppv to hold the elimination chamber. It would have been such an obvious decision, but how the WWE screwed that up is beyond me.

VanHooliganX
08-28-2011, 05:03 AM
Backlash
Judgement Day
No Way Out
Armageddon

ObscureRessurection
08-28-2011, 05:12 AM
Backlash
Judgement Day
No Way Out
Armageddon

Ahhhh the usual suspects. Each of them were great ppv's.

VanHooliganX
08-28-2011, 05:16 AM
Ahhhh the usual suspects. Each of them were great ppv's.

Correct.
No Way Out - Eddies brill win over Lesnar
Armageddon - The hell in a cell
Judgement Day - Takers return (The most impactful 1)
Backlash - Goldberg vs. Rock

Only 1 of many great matches from each PPV.
Glad Vengeance is back. The 2003 1 was the first PPV I watched (From me following onwards, saw early ones but couldn't watch it weekly)

ObscureRessurection
08-28-2011, 05:19 AM
Correct.
No Way Out - Eddies brill win over Lesnar
Armageddon - The hell in a cell
Judgement Day - Takers return (The most impactful 1)
Backlash - Goldberg vs. Rock

Only 1 of many great matches from each PPV.
Glad Vengeance is back. The 2003 1 was the first PPV I watched (From me following onwards, saw early ones but couldn't watch it weekly)

Those are moments for the ages. I remember marking out a lot when the Undertaker returned. I think I actually have a few cassette tapes that have those ppv's on them somewhere. I just have to find them first! Hmm... Hmm. Hmm.. So they brought back the big V? Is it a ppv being added back on to the list or is it replacing one of the current ones?

kersh
08-28-2011, 05:54 AM
i want to bring back survivor series.

i mean the orignal version where all the matches where 4 on 4 or 5 on 5 tag elimination matches.

nearly every star got on a ppv and helps build angles aswell as start some
(e.g miz gets rolled up by zack ryder, miz gets pissed and destroys ryder outside,)
if it doesnt take with the fans leave it after a couple of weeks
if it does turn it into a match at royal rumble
if it turns into a major story have both meet in the rumble match at some point then let one win a title before the final match at wrestlemania

Tommy Thunder
08-28-2011, 06:41 AM
Armageddon
Judgment day
No Mercy
No Way Out
Backlash
and King of the Ring as a PPV.

shanethewolf
08-28-2011, 06:47 AM
I agree with King of the Ring, but give it the prestige it used to have and make it a chance to push NEW stars...not a chance to give Cena or Orton an extra accolade.

And also ditch Money in the Bank. It was a great concept at first, but like everything WWE ever do, they ruined it with overkill.

Fan4Now
08-28-2011, 06:52 AM
In Your House
War Games
Halloween Havoc
KOTR
Starrcade

Lowki
08-28-2011, 06:56 AM
KING OF THE RING, HALLOWEEN HAVOC, STARRCADE + Rebellion.
Also you missed World War III (That Super royal rumble thing that had 2x battle royales with two winners facing each other at the end)

Halloween Havoc and Bash At the beach would be a chance to provide a different "seasonal" gimmick ppv (although Bash at the beach would essentially be summerslam). Havoc doesn't need cheesy gimmicks like the Chamber of Horrors, but it would be a chance to dress the set up a little (Kinda like when they put Phoneboxes/Buses/Taxis on the ramp in the UK) - Plus this could be the main PPV to pull out inferno/Buried alive matches when they eventually do one.

KOTR is self-explanatory.

Starrcade i'd like to see but it was WCWs Wrestlemania.

Rebellion or any other UK PPV. Would be nice to see them Do ONE PPV a year in a different country! I know there's time zone differences but that's also the case with Monday Night Raw in the UK, when they do it over here (several times a year). If UFC can do events in different countries, I'm sure WWE could too. Would give them a chance to put that particular countries talents a more prominent spot for once too.

Chavo.G
08-28-2011, 06:57 AM
I would say King of the Ring but we already have MITB which creates new stars and from the last two MITB pay per views, they have both been outstanding. I will have to say bring back No Way Out(replacing it with Elimination Chamber) and Judgement Day(replacing it with Over the Edge).

tittle97
08-28-2011, 07:01 AM
Easy! War games!

War Games was AWESOME!
I would love to see WWE bring it back.

Dr. Death
08-28-2011, 07:10 AM
King of the Ring
Starcade
War Games
Breaking Point
The Great American Bash
Holloween Havoc
No Mercy
Anarchy Rulz

Of course they would have to get rid of some of the ppv's they have now or go back to Brand specific ppvs and have the major 3-4 ppvs as cross brands.

tshizzy34
08-28-2011, 07:11 AM
KING OF THE RING, HALLOWEEN HAVOC, STARRCADE + Rebellion.
Also you missed World War III (That Super royal rumble thing that had 2x battle royales with two winners facing each other at the end)

Halloween Havoc and Bash At the beach would be a chance to provide a different "seasonal" gimmick ppv (although Bash at the beach would essentially be summerslam). Havoc doesn't need cheesy gimmicks like the Chamber of Horrors, but it would be a chance to dress the set up a little (Kinda like when they put Phoneboxes/Buses/Taxis on the ramp in the UK) - Plus this could be the main PPV to pull out inferno/Buried alive matches when they eventually do one.

KOTR is self-explanatory.

Starrcade i'd like to see but it was WCWs Wrestlemania.

Rebellion or any other UK PPV. Would be nice to see them Do ONE PPV a year in a different country! I know there's time zone differences but that's also the case with Monday Night Raw in the UK, when they do it over here (several times a year). If UFC can do events in different countries, I'm sure WWE could too. Would give them a chance to put that particular countries talents a more prominent spot for once too.

I was going to include WW3, but I figured that since it already has been done, then maybe the next one would be WW4? Either way didn't know whether it would be brought back as WW3 or WW4 so I didn't include it lol.

tittle97
08-28-2011, 07:16 AM
I was going to include WW3, but I figured that since it already has been done, then maybe the next one would be WW4? Either way didn't know whether it would be brought back as WW3 or WW4 so I didn't include it lol.

I liked the old WW3's from WCW, but some of them turned out to be a clusterfuck.
It could be effective if WWE did it right.

Poot-Hair
08-28-2011, 07:21 AM
Great american bash
Cyber Sunday
In your house

I always like the Cyber Sunday concept of letting the fans choose the stipulations the night of the ppv

tittle97
08-28-2011, 07:25 AM
Great american bash
Cyber Sunday
In your house

I always like the Cyber Sunday concept of letting the fans choose the stipulations the night of the ppv

In Your House lol
Bring back Todd Pettingill!!!

Theusernamepokeofdoom
08-28-2011, 07:26 AM
I would say Backlash.
1) I dig the name
2) I was at the last Backlash
3) Backlash was always the iconic Wrestlemania redemption show, but with Extreme Rules it's just a gimmick fest, taking away gimmicks from WM because they may get stale.
4) I was playing Smackdown: HCTP and Backlash was an amazing PPV for my character. (I play as Kevin Nash)

Edit: I also want to bring back Badd Blood after the HHH and HBK HIAC match. It was epic.

tittle97
08-28-2011, 07:30 AM
I think King of the Ring needs to come back as a ppv as well.
I'm not a big fan of cramming all those matches into Raw. They should have KotR qualifying matches on Raw, and lead them into the ppv. You know, to actually build a storyline?

Poot-Hair
08-28-2011, 07:34 AM
I think King of the Ring needs to come back as a ppv as well.
I'm not a big fan of cramming all those matches into Raw. They should have KotR qualifying matches on Raw, and lead them into the ppv. You know, to actually build a storyline?

I was actually just about to put this. IF they brought back KOTR they should have it as a ppv not as 2 minute filler matches where the winner gets squashed and buried in the midcard. Also what was the name of the WCW ppv where they would have 2 rings and have a MASSIVE royal rumble? The 'E should do that with every Royal Rumble ppv and include EVERYBODY in it, then have a suprise winner. It'd be a cool way of getting newer talent over IMO

tshizzy34
08-28-2011, 07:39 AM
I liked the old WW3's from WCW, but some of them turned out to be a clusterfuck.
It could be effective if WWE did it right.

I agree, but the biggest word there is IF!

tittle97
08-28-2011, 07:40 AM
I was actually just about to put this. IF they brought back KOTR they should have it as a ppv not as 2 minute filler matches where the winner gets squashed and buried in the midcard. Also what was the name of the WCW ppv where they would have 2 rings and have a MASSIVE royal rumble? The 'E should do that with every Royal Rumble ppv and include EVERYBODY in it, then have a suprise winner. It'd be a cool way of getting newer talent over IMO

The ppv you're thinking of is World War 3.
I was a big fan of it in WCW when I was younger, but as I mentioned earlier, it can start off as a clusterfuck with the amount of wrestlers.
I think WWE should bring it back, but add some sort of "reward" of some kind, maybe not even a title shot (my mind is blank right now) just so it can be as different as the Rumble as possible.
(It's very similar though)

tittle97
08-28-2011, 07:43 AM
I agree, but the biggest word there is IF!

I know dude lol
That's why I think War Games should come back and take over the annual Hell in a Cell ppv. The Cell should be used to either END fueds or be a big deal between warring stables/factions, it loses its effectiveness now that it's a yearly thing.
War Games is a solid concept that would be hard for WWE to screw up.

Poot-Hair
08-28-2011, 07:48 AM
War Games is a solid concept that would be hard for WWE to screw up.
This is the WWE we're talking about...they could f' up a wet dream, and have for me many times. I'd be dreaming of torrie wilson then the next thing i know i see vinnie mac's testicle flopping power walk down to the ring *shudders*. Scary

tittle97
08-28-2011, 07:50 AM
This is the WWE we're talking about...they could f' up a wet dream, and have for me many times. I'd be dreaming of torrie wilson then the next thing i know i see vinnie mac's testicle flopping power walk down to the ring *shudders*. Scary

Lol

Insane

tshizzy34
08-28-2011, 08:11 AM
i see vinnie mac's testicle flopping power walk down to the ring *shudders*. Scary

Wow that literally made me lol, that's great man lol. Nice avatar btw.

Y2J___Y2J
08-28-2011, 09:23 AM
I always liked Armageddon and Unforgiven. Even if the cards weren't as good near the end. But back in Attitude Era the cards were awesome.!

Iamthegame
08-28-2011, 11:00 AM
King of the Ring should be brought back...for those Little Jimmys that don't remember KOTR used to be one of the most prestigious PPVs in WWE and it served as a great hold over bc the nearly 5 months between WM and SS seemed to lag and it helped propel some superstars to legendary status e.g. Steve Austin, Bret Hart, HHH etc. Also they should bring back Armageddon as it used to be a great way to cap off the year...and Backlash was a PPV that usually showed the WM aftermath and it was always great. Other than that I think they need to get rid of these gimmick PPVs...I remember the first time they introduced one of these I thought to myself..."now this is something that TNA would do" SMH

evilgenius780
08-28-2011, 11:18 AM
Without a doubt, King of the Ring

jordan1995
08-28-2011, 11:21 AM
i would like halloween havoc as the stage/setup/titantron looked awesome with the giant pumpkin etc

Rebel Lion
08-28-2011, 11:54 AM
Ok, here's how I'd like to see the WWE PPV's go:

April: Backlash (Dealing with the backlash from WrestleMania)
May: Judgement Day (Culmination of rivalries from WrestleMania)
June: King Of The Ring (Entire 8-man tourney held on 1 night, and the winner gets WWE or WHC championship match at next PPV)
July: The Great American Bash (KOTR championship title shot, building off new rivalries from KOTR tournament)
August: SummerSlam (Big time PPV to end the summer)
September : Fall Brawl: War Games (2 rings side-by-side, in a double steel cage w/ roof, 5-on-5 main event...need I say more?)
October: Halloween Havoc (No brainer....duh!!)
November: Survivor Series (Entire PPV of 4-on4 elimination tag matches, like its supposed to be....leading perfectly into...)
December: Starrcade (Huge end-of-the-year, mini-WM PPV)
January: Royal Rumble (Beginning of the Road to WM)
February: No Way Out (Still have 2 Elimination Chamber matches, but No Way Out sounds MUCH better!!)
March: WrestleMania (Showcase of the Immortals....ft. Money In The Bank once again)

I think utilizing these PPVs would have a few great impacts on the overall product. Firstly, each PPV has instant name recognition and a history that comes along with it. Who doesn't remember No Way Out? Starrcade? Judgement Day? Fall Brawl: War Games? Just envoking those classic names would build excitement, and if done right could be legendary.

Secondly, I would go back to the true essence of the particualr PPV. SummerSlam and Starrcade, along with WM would be the "big 3". King Of The Ring would be an 8-man tournament, all held on one night. 7 matches, one King Of The Ring. The main event of Fall Brawl: War Games would be 5 of the biggest faces in the WWE versus 5 of the biggest heels in a double ring, double caged melee....with no one being able to be eliminated until all 10 competitiors are in the ring. Survivor Series would have no singles matches at all. Hell, I remember when the WWE Champion would have his team, and fight against his rival and that team. This leads me into my next point...

These PPVs would open the doors for so much more, overall. There would still be 3 chances to earn a WWE title shot: One at WrestleMania with Money In The Bank, one by winning the King Of The Ring, and one by winning the Royal Rumble. A pure King Of The Ring tourney could create new and interesting rivalries through the bracketing of the tourney. So could Fall Brawl:War Games. So could a traditional Survivor Series. And the Royal Rumble. And the 2 Elimination Chamber matches at No Way Out. Plus, having the PPVs this way allows buildup of rivalries. WrestleMania leads into Backlash, then it all culminates at Judgement Day. King Of The Ring sparks new feuds that roll through The Great American Bash and climaxes at SummerSlam. Fall Brawl: War Games sets up scenarios that fester through Halloween Havoc, into Survivor Series, then come to a head at Starrcade. Then the Road to WrestleMania begins.

Lastly, by removing the current "gimmick" PPVs, those gimmick mathces could one again be used to emphasize the apex of a rivalry. An entire Hell In The cell PPV is mundane, and devalues the actual Hell In The Cell match, itself. Wouldn't it be much better to see a rivalry start at Fall Brawl: War Games and end up in a Hell In The Cell at Starrcade? Or a new rivalry created in the King Of The Ring tourney end up in a TLC match at SummerSlam? We don't need a PPV designated specificallyto TLC....it only cheapens the TLC match. Now you have these gimmick matches to solidify rivalries and be showcased at these awesome PPVs.

Would love some input, so what do you guys think??

FLWWEFan
08-28-2011, 12:02 PM
War Games the match beyond :D

KingOrton
08-28-2011, 12:20 PM
Old - New

Over the limit - Cyber Sunday
Capitol Punishment - Great American Bash
Hell In a Cell - In Your House
Survivor Series - Unforgiven/King of the Ring
TLC - December to Dismember

KJ PUNK
08-28-2011, 12:48 PM
King of the Ring and Halloween Havoc for sure. Would say Starcade, but since it wouldn't be a "major" ppv it would lose the prestige it had in WCW.

Juvenile Junkie
08-28-2011, 02:03 PM
Baptized in Blood III

wrestlingfan66513
08-28-2011, 02:04 PM
Bad Blood
Backlash
Armageddon
No Mercy
Fully Loaded
Over The Edge
No Way Out
Judgement Day

Over the Edge should stay gone since it was Owen Hart's last PPV. NO Way Out, Bash at the Beach, King of the Ring, and Starrcade should come back.

Juvenile Junkie
08-28-2011, 02:11 PM
Slammiversary,with the King Of The Mountain Match.

wwe=awesome
08-28-2011, 03:17 PM
Backlash
War Games
No Mercy

my fav is no mercy for 3 reasons
1. the name is boss
2. the video game was one of the best wrestling games ever
3. my first wwe ppv i attended was no mercy 2007 when their were 3 wwe championship match's in one night and the punjabi prison match with batista and khali, and the fans were fuckin crazy but thats how we are in chicago

dres1214
08-28-2011, 03:34 PM
Bring back King of The Ring. Get rid of all the gimmick PPV's.

charmingone28
08-28-2011, 03:39 PM
Personally being into bikes and motorcycles I'd like to see Hog Wild come back that was kinda cool, King of the Ring also

Dubs
08-28-2011, 05:57 PM
King of the Ring
Bad Blood
Backlash
The Great American Bash
War Games

Los Conquistador
08-28-2011, 07:31 PM
King of the ring - obviously

But I would enjoy another breaking point
Not a lot of emphasis on submission matchs

By0nd_Perfect
08-28-2011, 09:54 PM
I believe that they should get rid of all the match specialised ppvs (bar the MITB) and bring back the originals. I hate the fact that you have to wait like a whole year to see a TLC, Hell in a Cell or even Elimination Chamber matches. With these specialised ppvs you know what to expect, I would prefer it if WWE gives out suprises once in a while.
:cool:

CMRyder
08-28-2011, 10:12 PM
Ditch Hell in a Cell, and TLC, repleace them with 2-non gimmick PPVS.

PatsPunkZepp
08-28-2011, 10:19 PM
i liked king of the ring and breaking point but next year it is a must they bring back armageddon haha

Rated_R(ob)KO
08-29-2011, 01:08 AM
I miss Wargames the most.

dai_haz
08-29-2011, 05:52 AM
Hey look at that! You pretty much made the same exact list I was planning on making. Also, I always thought that No Way Out would have been a great ppv to hold the elimination chamber. It would have been such an obvious decision, but how the WWE screwed that up is beyond me.

it was held when it was aunder the name no way out, and i thought it was awesoeme to because it wasnt just a name u really cudnt get out of the chamber,

but they wanted people to understand what was in the ppv so they changed it like when they did extreme rules rather than one night stand

captainmoonlight
08-29-2011, 06:32 AM
I Personally think War Games would be amazing, but its a bit like Survivor Series so.............

Survivor Series: War Games

just a sub title.

with raw picking up as late and going a bit more Pg14 in areas we can look at getting war zone stuff back

more stabes etc

Robareid
08-29-2011, 06:48 AM
Jan - Royal Rumble
Feb - No Way Out
Mar - Wrestlemania
Apr - Extreme Rules
May - Heat Wave
Jun - Great American Bash
Jul - King of the Ring (Winner gets Summerslam title match)
Aug - Summerslam
Sep - Money in the Bank
Oct - Haloween Havoc
Nov - Survivor Series
Dec - Armageddon

steveorton
08-29-2011, 07:58 AM
Probably No way out, I'm jus sayin...