PDA

View Full Version : The Rock, Bruckheimer, and NBC working on 80's Wrestling Drama

Androo
08-24-2011, 10:45 AM
The Rock Working On New 1980's Wrestling Drama For NBC Reported By Dave Mitchell

There's a new pro wrestling drama headed to NBC - and WWE star Dwyane "The Rock" Johnson will be one of the Executive Producers for the project, along with Jerry Bruckheimer and Jonathan Littman.

According to the Hollywood Reporter, Jerry Bruckheimer Television in association with Warner Bros. Television have sold a the one-hour "fictional wrestling drama" based int he 1980s to NBC.

The show will see Brent Fletcher and Seamus Kevin Fahey as co-executive producers and writers, with Kristie Anne Reed on board as a co-Executive Producer.

To clarify the earlier post about the NBC wrestling series, the pilot is actually a "put pilot." This means that contractually, NBC will air at least the pilot once it is produced. Generally this results in a series order though.

The Rock wrote the following on Twitter about the show: “Kickin’ Ass! Excited to partner up w @BruckheimerJB & @NBC to create 1980′s wrestling TV drama.”

Forgive my pessimism, but it's going to be shit isn't it? Unless they go the route of 'The Wrestler' movie; which I highly doubt they will since it's Jerry "Crime Scene Armageddon" Bruckheimer!

Eve's Arse No.1
08-24-2011, 10:47 AM
Maybe but it could be like the Wrestler i hope it goes into the drug problems of some of the 80's wrestlers.

But without even seeing a trailer or pilot for it how can you say its shit or good.

Androo
08-24-2011, 10:53 AM
Maybe but it could be like the Wrestler i hope it goes into the drug problems of some of the 80's wrestlers
I did say that.

But without even seeing a trailer or pilot for it how can you say its shit or good.

I never said it's shit. I said it's going to be shit, my pessimistic prediction.

Eve's Arse No.1
08-24-2011, 10:56 AM
I did say that.

I never said it's shit. I said it's going to be shit, my pessimistic prediction.

Wasnt in reference to you but saying THAT^^^ is stupid when all you know is its a wrestling show and The Rock has a part in it.

You did say that but i was saying it also it was my opinion and this IS a forum

Androo
08-24-2011, 11:02 AM
Wasnt in reference to you but saying THAT^^^ is stupid when all you know is its a wrestling show and The Rock has a part in it.

You did say that but i was saying it also it was my opinion and this IS a forum

Who else would it be in reference to? From everything there, The Rock doesn't have a part in it, he's one execuctive producer.

Yes, and me saying "I think it will be shit" is MY opinion. You're taking this all a bit seriously.

Iron Ape
08-24-2011, 11:09 AM
I'm actually acquaintances with Seamus, and this is pretty exciting news. The guy is a major talent.

I don't really see there being much of an audience for this kind of thing, though. Wrestling isn't really hot at the moment, and the industry's stigma is going to keep a lot of potential viewers at arm's length. They've really got an uphill battle ahead of them even getting this to series.

Eve's Arse No.1
08-24-2011, 11:15 AM
Who else would it be in reference to? From everything there, The Rock doesn't have a part in it, he's one execuctive producer.

Yes, and me saying "I think it will be shit" is MY opinion. You're taking this all a bit seriously.

It was a general thing you said its going to be shit aint it? But then made an opinion about something that has no information released about it.

Well im taking people who form opinions about things that have only just been announced and there is NO information about. Its something that Morons do and i just ignore that persons opinion from now on.

Sorry if this sounds HARSH but i just hate it.

The Rock more then likely will make a few guest appearances his movie career isnt exactly sky rocketing at the minute in time. Id imagine Steve Austin and Jericho will also make guest appearences

Iron Ape
08-24-2011, 11:27 AM
The Rock more then likely will make a few guest appearances his movie career isnt exactly sky rocketing at the minute in time. Id imagine Steve Austin and Jericho will also make guest appearences
What? His movie career is hotter than its ever been, and his current clout is the reason this project is even happening.

Dubs
08-24-2011, 11:34 AM

Nope. Just like Iron Ape said, The Rock's movie career is doing pretty good. Hes playing in GI Joe. His acting career is taking off if anything.

Rich Cranium
08-24-2011, 11:37 AM
If they could get Mickey Rourke, that would be awesome but I doubt he will venture into TV at this point although I could be wrong.

Androo
08-24-2011, 11:51 AM
It was a general thing you said its going to be shit aint it? But then made an opinion about something that has no information released about it.

Well im taking people who form opinions about things that have only just been announced and there is NO information about. Its something that Morons do and i just ignore that persons opinion from now on.

Sorry if this sounds HARSH but i just hate it.

Yes, you're right, it was an off-the-cuff, general statement that I made at an immediate stage when I seen Bruckheimer, drama, NBC. Hey man, I want it to be good, great even, anything with wrestling making it's way into other mediums I want to succeed! But I have reservations.

But, along with what the Iron one said about the co-executive producer/writer Seamus Kevin Fahey, I hope other things come up to change my view, always, and I hope my pessimism lessens, always.

You just said it was wrong of me to make general assumptions, but you're just assuming they'll get Rock in the show, and Austin and even Jericho.

Eve's Arse No.1
08-24-2011, 12:13 PM
What? His movie career is hotter than its ever been, and his current clout is the reason this project is even happening.

Yeah he has a FEW films lined up but apart from what Fast 5 has any of his recent films been a huge success.

He will be making a guest appearence any money

Eve's Arse No.1
08-24-2011, 12:14 PM
You just said it was wrong of me to make general assumptions, but you're just assuming they'll get Rock in the show, and Austin and even Jericho.

I said id guess that they will be on as guest stars how is that anything like saying its shit or good? You cant be that thick surely?

Androo
08-24-2011, 12:19 PM
I said id guess that they will be on as guest stars how is that anything like saying its shit or good? You cant be that thick surely?

Hahaha, WHAT? Jesus Christ! Science be praised!

Iron Ape
08-24-2011, 12:32 PM
Yeah he has a FEW films lined up but apart from what Fast 5 has any of his recent films been a huge success.
It doesn't much matter, as Universal and Paramount have enough faith in him to top-line 3 separate $100 million+ franchises (the sequel to Journey of the Center of the Earth, G.I. Joe 2, and Fast/Furious 6). Fucktons of other guys who would kill for that kind of studio backing.

Eve's Arse No.1
08-24-2011, 12:36 PM
It doesn't much matter, as Universal has enough faith in him to top-line 3 separate $100 million+ franchises (the sequel to Journey of the Center of the Earth, G.I. Joe 2, and Fast/Furious 6). Fucktons of other guys who would kill for that kind of studio backing.

Shit didnt know he landed GI Joe and Fast 6 thats great for the guy hes normally a convincing Bad Guy so thats quite an achievement.

But Journey to the Center of the Earth might not sell as well as you think it might be a huge hit in America but the last one was sooo poorly marketed over here it might not do so well.

But yeah thats cool....

But i can still see him making a guest appearence i mean Will Ferrell even made guest appearences on East Bound and Down and John C Mingiry(sorry cant remeber surname the guy from Step Bros and Cedar Rapids) even had a regular slot on Tim and Erics Awesume show

Iron Ape
08-24-2011, 12:56 PM
But Journey to the Center of the Earth might not sell as well as you think it might be a huge hit in America but the last one was sooo poorly marketed over here it might not do so well.
The UK film market is so small that a film underwhelming there is almost inconsequential (especially in regards to a studio-backed American film with a far reaching international release base). Besides, that poorly marketed film did over $240 million in worldwide business on a production budget of $60 million (with only $100 million of that gross coming domestically), so something tells me the sequel is going to be just fine.

But i can still see him making a guest appearence i mean Will Ferrell even made guest appearences on East Bound and Down and John C Mingiry(sorry cant remeber surname the guy from Step Bros and Cedar Rapids) even had a regular slot on Tim and Erics Awesume show

I think John C. Reilly is who you were looking for.

Regardless, I'm not sure if you were directing this towards me or not but I'm not debating that Dwayne might appear on the show; I'm simply saying that any assertion of his career having stagnated is woefully misinformed.

Necroyeti
08-24-2011, 01:02 PM
Jerry Bruckheimer
Not interested.

Eve's Arse No.1
08-24-2011, 01:02 PM
The UK film market is so small that a film underwhelming there is almost inconsequential (especially in regards to a studio-backed American film with a far reaching international release base). Besides, that poorly marketed film did over $240 million in worldwide business on a production budget of $60 million (with only $100 million of that gross coming domestically), so something tells me the sequel is going to be just fine.

I think John C. Reilly is who you were looking for.

Regardless, I'm not sure if you were directing this towards me or not but I'm not debating that Dwayne might appear on the show; I'm simply saying that any assertion of his career having stagnated is woefully misinformed.

Cool dont worry i wasnt i was just making a final point towards a certain member who i wont be wasting any more time on.

I wouldnt say we are that small of course you make a film a success in America and its far more significant then over here but compared with alot of other countries.

But sequels also dont always do as well BUT yeah if shove all that 3d crap in it and families will flock to see it but it may not get a cinema release outside of the US. Do you know whos staring along side The Rock in that one?

Rich Cranium
08-24-2011, 01:03 PM
I am sure they will get some Indy's workers in there to do the ring action. Maybe Roddy Piper is another guy to make an appearance?

Eve's Arse No.1
08-24-2011, 01:05 PM
I am sure they will get some Indy's workers in there to do the ring action. Maybe Roddy Piper is another guy to make an appearance?

Maybe Trips also and Cena.

Possibly Edge as he has turned to acting although he kinda has been acting for a few years now

Iron Ape
08-24-2011, 01:27 PM
I wouldnt say we are that small of course you make a film a success in America and its far more significant then over here but compared with alot of other countries.
The UK accounts for less than 20% of the European film market, and somewhere between 4-5% of the wordlwide film business. Those aren't completely insignificant numbers, but they DO pale in comparison to many other countries.

But sequels also dont always do as well BUT yeah if shove all that 3d crap in it and families will flock to see it but it may not get a cinema release outside of the US. Do you know whos staring along side The Rock in that one?
The other stars are Vanessa Hudgens and Michael Caine.

But why on earth would it not get a release outside of the U.S. when 60% the first one's gross came from international markets? Worldwide box office was the whole reason a sequel was even green lit. :confused:

Eve's Arse No.1
08-24-2011, 01:40 PM
Vanessa Hudgens and Michael Caine.

But why on earth would it not get a release outside of the U.S. when 60% the first one's gross came from international markets? Worldwide box office was the whole reason a sequel was even green lit. :confused:

Good choices appeal to 3 different audiences.

Death Race is all i have to say to that and that sequel had Sean Bean in who is bigger over here then The Rock is.

Iron Ape
08-24-2011, 01:53 PM
Death Race is all i have to say to that and that sequel had Sean Bean in who is bigger over here then The Rock is.
Death Race 2 didn't even come out in theaters in the U.S. so I'm not quite sure what you're talking about (it was a straight to video production). Then again, I'm also not sure why Universal would choose to altogether not release a movie outside the U.S. just because The Rock isn't particularly huge in the U.K. (as, again, the U.K. only accounts for one lilly-pad in a much bigger pond).

Eve's Arse No.1
08-24-2011, 02:01 PM
Death Race 2 didn't even come out in theaters in the U.S. so I'm not quite sure what you're talking about (it was a straight to video production). Then again, I'm also not sure why Universal would choose to altogether not release a movie outside the U.S. just because The Rock isn't particularly huge in the U.K. (as, again, the U.K. only accounts for one lilly-pad in a much bigger pond).

He is big in the UK but his films get limited release or straight to DVD.

Well you said Journey made 60% profit so why not release it internationally as did Death Race which is a valid counterpoint i feel. And the stars in both sequels arent exactly small names (although Hudgens is becoming an established actress cant wait to see her as that pregnant teenager looks a great film cant remember the title though).

Our cinema releases are bizarre and at times moronic that god forsaken mess that Uma Thurman stared in was a cinema release (Motherhood???)

Iron Ape
08-24-2011, 02:25 PM
He is big in the UK but his films get limited release or straight to DVD.

Well you said Journey made 60% profit so why not release it internationally as did Death Race which is a valid counterpoint i feel. And the stars in both sequels arent exactly small names (although Hudgens is becoming an established actress cant wait to see her as that pregnant teenager looks a great film cant remember the title though).
I'm having a difficult time deciphering this post. Are you saying that Death Race 2 should have been released internationally because the first one was? For starters, it was a low budget sequel following a direct-to-video business model; the cost to market a theatrical release (domestic or internationally) would have been completely disproportionate to the production budget. Second, lead Luke Goss had nowhere near the marquee value of an established action brand like Jason Statham. Peripheral characters played by character actors like Sean Bean and Danny Trejo could in no way financially justify a big screen treatment for a sequel to a movie that was only ever a minor hit.

Death Race 2 and the Journey sequel are entirely different beasts, so I'm not quite getting the comparison.

Eve's Arse No.1
08-24-2011, 02:36 PM
Well Jason Statham > Sean Bean and Brendon Fraiser > The Rock over here according to our Film Board so I dont get the point you are trying to make.

To me they are quite similar fair play Journey will have a bigger budget but that is still no guarantee that it will get a cinema release here. That is the arguement i am making trying to counter the point YOU made about why a company wouldnt release a film on dvd when the prequel made such a profit but you seem to be ignoring that fact or im not wording it well enough.

ANYWAY to be honest i kinda dont know why we are arguing anyway sorry :)

Oh and Danny Trejo is bigger then The Rock at the min although The Rock has lead actor quality where Trejo dosent

Iron Ape
08-24-2011, 03:02 PM
Well Jason Statham > Sean Bean and Brendon Fraiser > The Rock over here according to our Film Board so I dont get the point you are trying to make.
You seem intent on applying what happens in the U.K. market to everywhere else, and that's not how it works. I don't know why you're hung up on that. The Rock might not be particularly big in your one market, but if Universal decides that it's going to be an international release (which is a no-brainer considering that it quadrupled its budget), then its going to be released everywhere. Its a summer tentpole flick where the effects, spectacle, and brand sell the tickets, so the star is almost secondary.

To me they are quite similar fair play Journey will have a bigger budget but that is still no guarantee that it will get a cinema release here. That is the arguement i am making trying to counter the point YOU made about why a company wouldnt release a film on dvd when the prequel made such a profit but you seem to be ignoring that fact or im not wording it well enough.
I just genuinely don't understand what you're trying to say; I never mentioned anything about something not getting a DVD release, and I'm not sure what prequel you're talking about as the first Journey movie doesn't even classify as one.

You had originally said that Journey 2 might not get released outside of the U.S., and I simply said that doesn't make any sense as 60% of the first film's business came from outside the U.S.. Even if it were to not get released in the U.K. like you seem to think, that still wouldn't stop the studio from releasing it elsewhere internationally as there are many more markets than just the U.K.. It's not U.K. or bust. There are other countries/continents that pay to see movies besides just the U.S./North America and the U.K./Europe. That's all I've been saying, and I'm not sure how I can be any more clear and concise.

ANYWAY to be honest i kinda dont know why we are arguing anyway sorry :)
I didn't think this was an argument, man. I thought you wanted to understand how this stuff works and I was trying to help. Just forget I said anything.

Eve's Arse No.1
08-24-2011, 03:04 PM
To be honest ive half doing this and im half watching the footie(soccer) its a vital game for my team

Androo
08-24-2011, 04:50 PM
Not interested.

Hahaha. Kinda what I was gettin at.

thejman93
08-24-2011, 04:51 PM
Yeah, this thing 'll flop quick.

Androo
08-24-2011, 05:03 PM
Cool dont worry i wasnt i was just making a final point towards a certain member who i wont be wasting any more time on.

A little bit sensitive? I take it that certain member was me, yeh? I don't know what point you were making towards me, I wasn't debating whether or not The Rock will make a guest appearance, I was drawing attention to your contradiction. How is it not similar? I made an assumption with little information about the show, and you made an assumption with little information (on show or from any wrestlers) about the show or from any wrestlers. Kinda similar.

Also I don't know why all this angst from yourself is being directed at me? I gave my view and laid it out. I hope it turns out that it is FANTASTIC, I really do. I never came at you with any hating did I? Maybe it has appeared that way to you. But, alas, do what you must.

Holla holla. :cool: