PDA

View Full Version : UFC RIO - Silva vs Okami

Dr. Death
08-20-2011, 08:37 AM
I was wondering if any of you are going to watch this PPV? Here is the fight card:

Fight Card
Saturday, August 27
6pm/9pm PTET Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

Main Card:

Silva vs Okami
Rua vs Griffin
Schaub vs Nogueira
Pearson vs Barboza
Cane vs Nedkov

Prelims:

Tavares vs Fisher
Palhares vs Miller
Thiago vs Mitchell
Assuncao vs Eduardo
Alcantara vs Arantes
Jabouin vs Loveland

Also would like to know what your thoughts are on the Silva/Okami fight, who you think would win.

FLWWEFan
08-20-2011, 08:44 AM
Don't plan on watching this one, I'll catch videos if it the next day off the net. My predictions

Silva over Okami
Rua over Griffin
Schaub over Nogueria
Barboza over Pearson
Cane over Nedkov

IPEEINTHESHOWER
08-20-2011, 10:16 AM
Hell yes I'm going to watch it. I watch every UFC ppv. I'm a big time Griffin fan and hopes he wins tonight. Silva will win tonight. I can't wait to hear the Brazilian crowd. Its going to be great.

Rich Cranium
08-20-2011, 02:43 PM
Don't plan on watching this one, I'll catch videos if it the next day off the net. My predictions

Silva over Okami
Rua over Griffin
Schaub over Nogueria
Barboza over Pearson
Cane over Nedkov

I think Griffin will beat Rua and I agree with the other pics.

Dr. Death
08-20-2011, 05:52 PM
I like Griffon over Rua, I heard that Okami beat Silva a long time ago but would like to see how it turns out this time. I unfortunately do not get to watch the ppv and will have to check out the results on the net tomorrow. The rest of FLWWE Fan's picks look good to me. I agree that the Brazilian crowd would be awesome IPITS. They are some of MMA's most devoted fan base.

IPEEINTHESHOWER
08-20-2011, 07:09 PM
I'm such an idiot, its not tonight its next Saturday.

Dr. Death
08-21-2011, 07:09 AM
I'm such an idiot, its not tonight its next Saturday.

Don't feel to bad, I started the thread and didn't realize it was next Saturday, I was looking for results today and found out my mistake. I feel like a complete retard. LOL at myself.

FLWWEFan
08-21-2011, 10:37 AM
I like Griffon over Rua, I heard that Okami beat Silva a long time ago but would like to see how it turns out this time. I unfortunately do not get to watch the ppv and will have to check out the results on the net tomorrow. The rest of FLWWE Fan's picks look good to me. I agree that the Brazilian crowd would be awesome IPITS. They are some of MMA's most devoted fan base.

It was by a very controversial DQ. Here's a video of that fight.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=StYulH-yKsk

Silva was more of the aggressor through the entire round and looked at ease against Okami...I'm looking for a repeat next Saturday.

furlaa
08-22-2011, 01:56 AM
Main Card:

Silva vs Okami
Rua vs Griffin
Schaub vs Nogueira
Pearson vs Barboza
Cane vs Nedkov

Dr. Death
08-22-2011, 05:19 AM

Silva was more of the aggressor through the entire round and looked at ease against Okami...I'm looking for a repeat next Saturday.

You are so right, that was a very controversial DQ. This is the first time I've seen that. Thank you for posting the video. It looked like Silva controlled everything from start to finish.

68wPayne
08-22-2011, 09:43 AM
Why was that a DQ? Looked like a legit KO to me

thedominator92
08-22-2011, 01:34 PM

Both fighters are very different fighters than they were back then. Okami has been wrestling with Chael sonnen and i think that will be the deciding factor come saturday. Hope Anderson has been working on his takedown defense.

Dr. Death
08-23-2011, 09:09 AM
Why was that a DQ? Looked like a legit KO to me

Yeah, it was a DQ. Anderson kicked Okami in the face when Okami's knee was on the ground. This is against UFC rules and thus a DQ. Very controversial thou. I hope for a clear winner on Saturday.

thedominator92
08-23-2011, 01:58 PM
Yeah, it was a DQ. Anderson kicked Okami in the face when Okami's knee was on the ground. This is against UFC rules and thus a DQ. Very controversial thou. I hope for a clear winner on Saturday.

its not ufc rules it's the unified rules of mma...it would be legal under vale tudeo rules though

Dr. Death
08-25-2011, 08:38 AM
Well it was against the rules anyway. I think in Pride one is able to get away with this but I'm not 100% sure of this thou. On another note I hope the PPV lives up to the hype. I think the Schaub vs Nogueira fight will probably be the best fight on the card. I think Schaub will win, but it should be a tough match. Also I bet Silva don't play around this time, I'm looking for a KO in the 1st round here. And if Eduardo don't KO Assuncao, then he'll probably be submitted by Assuncao. The Griffon vs Rua fight will probably go to decision, I like Griffon, however he is starting to lose passion for the sport and needs to find a group to train with that will make him improve in the cage.

IPEEINTHESHOWER
08-27-2011, 11:10 AM
Its finally here. Tonight should be a night of great fights!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHz8ft56lQQ

Androo
08-27-2011, 05:30 PM
Just started watching the prelims y'all. No Joe Rogan at the moment though, it's K. Flo. Is he unable to work this event?

Ed. Just read Joe Rogan will not be doing commentary for this event because of a prior commitment, UFC Featherweight contender Kenny Florian will commentate instead.

Androo
08-27-2011, 06:11 PM
Welterweight bout: Erick Silva vs. Luis Ramos

Man! Silva just knocked Ramos out in 0.40 of round 1!

thejman93
08-27-2011, 07:08 PM
Don't leave me hangin' peeps; get your asses in chat.

Iron Ape
08-27-2011, 09:39 PM
I wonder if we're going to see a chalk outline Of Griffin's body during the Silva/Okami fight.

Androo
08-27-2011, 10:10 PM
I wonder if we're going to see a chalk outline Of Griffin's body during the Silva/Okami fight.

Haha, I think I seen a glimpse of something. Shame though, I really wanted Forest to win.

So, em, I think Anderson 'The Spider' Silva won! From what I seen and heard, I couldn't be too sure though.:rolleyes:

SilverGhost
08-27-2011, 10:28 PM
Wow I missed this event :(

IPEEINTHESHOWER
08-27-2011, 11:50 PM
I won't spoil it for everyone but I'm disappointed in my boy Griffin. That is all

Dr. Death
08-28-2011, 07:16 AM
I won't spoil it for everyone but I'm disappointed in my boy Griffin. That is all

I hear ya. Griffon has lost the desire to be the best somewhere along the lines and he needs to do some soul searching or even change camps to improve.

FLWWEFan
08-28-2011, 11:02 AM
I hear ya. Griffon has lost the desire to be the best somewhere along the lines and he needs to do some soul searching or even change camps to improve.

Was reading an article on mmajunkie.com saying that his wife was about to give birth to their kid and it was going 9 days early. I highly doubt his mind was 100% on Shogun like it should've been. Definetly understandable.

Kenny_Penfold
08-29-2011, 03:53 PM
I watched the event and don't get Forest. The always go back to him beating Tito and the Rampage fight but he doesn't impress me. Shogun caught him well and the rest is history but he didn't look that good in the Tito rematch. Tito looked pathetic in that fight and he didn't even finish him. Maybe I'm wrong but he did the usual thing of saying he was going to beat Shogun in Brazil and leave the fans disappointed. He defintely did that by wasting everyone's time. AS for the pregnancy thing, I don't think that's an excuse really, he should've dropped out. Is there anything wrong to warrant him being worried? If there is and the baby is ill (potentially) I apologise. Then of course it was time for The Spider. The lad is just ridiculous, what's the point now because no one's gonna get near him? St Pierre fighting him but George is probably worried that he'll rip him apart like he did with Okami. Okami, really? Really? Is that it? Jesus, they were really given this kid loads of respect and Silva just went come on then, I'll even drop my hands. Good solid event though and who is really next for Silva? On MMA Live, the gobby Sonnen was saying how he'd destroy Silva but he tapped out with seconds to go after battering Anderson for four and a half rounds.

infrequentPoster
08-29-2011, 04:59 PM
I watched the event and don't get Forest. The always go back to him beating Tito and the Rampage fight but he doesn't impress me. Shogun caught him well and the rest is history but he didn't look that good in the Tito rematch. Tito looked pathetic in that fight and he didn't even finish him. Maybe I'm wrong but he did the usual thing of saying he was going to beat Shogun in Brazil and leave the fans disappointed. He defintely did that by wasting everyone's time. AS for the pregnancy thing, I don't think that's an excuse really, he should've dropped out. Is there anything wrong to warrant him being worried? If there is and the baby is ill (potentially) I apologise. Then of course it was time for The Spider. The lad is just ridiculous, what's the point now because no one's gonna get near him? St Pierre fighting him but George is probably worried that he'll rip him apart like he did with Okami. Okami, really? Really? Is that it? Jesus, they were really given this kid loads of respect and Silva just went come on then, I'll even drop my hands. Good solid event though and who is really next for Silva? On MMA Live, the gobby Sonnen was saying how he'd destroy Silva but he tapped out with seconds to go after battering Anderson for four and a half rounds.

Yeah Silva took a really good MW in Okami and made him look like shit. Before people bash Okami, going into this fight he was like 27-5 and a top 5 middleweight as regarded by the overwhelming majority of MMA journalists. Once his strategy of clinching and dirty boxing failed, he tried for the take-down and failed as well. Must be disheartening realizing within a round that your keys to victory are totally fucked.

I seriously think that only Chael Sonnen poses a threat against Anderson. He gave Anderson the best fight he's had in the UFC. If Sonnen hadn't gotten lazy and kept his elbows in tight, or if he'd had stayed in Silva's half guard, he would have been champ. Sonnen is the only one I've really seen that isn't afraid of Silva. I feel Okami was intimidated and almost gave up in that second round. His will was broken as he was facing the #1 P4P fighter in his hometown and was ineffective with his gameplan.

I'd really like to see that GSP fight sooner than later, since Anderson is 36 right now. I would hate for the UFC to make that matchup AFTER Silva exits his prime.

Kenny_Penfold
08-30-2011, 09:50 AM
Yeah Silva took a really good MW in Okami and made him look like shit. Before people bash Okami, going into this fight he was like 27-5 and a top 5 middleweight as regarded by the overwhelming majority of MMA journalists. Once his strategy of clinching and dirty boxing failed, he tried for the take-down and failed as well. Must be disheartening realizing within a round that your keys to victory are totally fucked.

I seriously think that only Chael Sonnen poses a threat against Anderson. He gave Anderson the best fight he's had in the UFC. If Sonnen hadn't gotten lazy and kept his elbows in tight, or if he'd had stayed in Silva's half guard, he would have been champ. Sonnen is the only one I've really seen that isn't afraid of Silva. I feel Okami was intimidated and almost gave up in that second round. His will was broken as he was facing the #1 P4P fighter in his hometown and was ineffective with his gameplan.

I'd really like to see that GSP fight sooner than later, since Anderson is 36 right now. I would hate for the UFC to make that matchup AFTER Silva exits his prime.

You're right that Sonnen should've beat him and he defintely fucked up getting caught in Anderson's guard. Ultimately though he didn't, so surely Silva will just get better now and know what to expect? He really piled the pressure on Silva and he looked stunned and as if he couldn't cope. He found that one opening and I don't see him making that mistake again. The rematch will be fun and Chael will sell the fight really well with all the smack talk. As for Okami, I hadn't seen a great deal of him but they were showing him beating Alan Belcher (wow 2006, woo) but he's hardly world class. He beat Marquardt :rolleyes: but I was surprised he got a shot. Okami was saying he would destory him and I know he was hyping it but I don't think he thought that he would actually win. Yushin went in on a hiding to nothing and hoped for the best. The GSP fight has to happen as you say because Silva is getting older and we need it to happen in their prime. Silva can't fight anyone else because he'd bury Bisping, Silva, Stann and Franklin. I was hearing Henderson could move from Strikeforce but if Sonnen can't do him, he has to fight GSP.

Automatic
09-12-2011, 10:53 AM
Palhares vs. Miller was fucking awesome. Silva made Okami look like shit. How the hell did Luiz Cane lose? Good PPV.