PDA

View Full Version : Too soon for the "Reality Era"

dragonsrevenge
08-14-2011, 12:26 AM
God, the marks keep going on like they have the answers... until the next episode of Raw or Smackdown. Then they change their tune. At the same time, they've dubbed some new "era" in the WWE as the "Reality Era." As if anything has changed.

It's waaaay too soon to determine whether there's any change. The only "change" I see in the WWE pertains to the current story line between Cena, Punk and Triple H. They've been spouting all sorts of comments, clearly indicating that they've been reading the IWC's diatribes. It's a great storyline, and it's certainly got me back into wrestling. But beyond that, what sort of changes have happened to drive home this idea of a new era? I guess, they've brought back chair shots, and they say Ass more often again, but beyond that, there's nothing else. The only sense of unpredictability has been in the main event raw storyline. Instead of procaliming some period of change, or scrutinizing what's going on, as if you have all the answers, just be like other fans and, you know.... "wait and see."

ed is dead
08-14-2011, 01:23 AM
the reason this seems to be coming so fast is because of the way we communicate nowadays, information is instant with the iwc and the wrestlers themselves having an instant forum in the way of wrestling news sites, wrestling forum sites, and twitter. the iwc is way larger that it was ten years ago, and the wrestling industry is more open than it was ten years ago, you see this in the wrestlers talking more openly about what happens backstage almost on a daily basis, both wwe and tna know that they can't keep the "reality" of it all hidden backstage, they know the fans are very vocal about it and it really seems like the industry is changing. so it's hard for a change not to be noticed with a big internet wrestling community and wrestlers themselves talking about it, when information is spread fast.

The Brown One
08-14-2011, 01:39 AM
To add to ed is dead's post, thanks to Twitter, superstars can speak truth like they don't on tv. They can do shoots that they aren't allowed to do on-screen. I think that adds to the whole reality-themed aspect of this "new era".

Marx
08-14-2011, 07:56 AM
To add to ed is dead's post, thanks to Twitter, superstars can speak truth like they don't on tv. They can do shoots that they aren't allowed to do on-screen. I think that adds to the whole reality-themed aspect of this "new era".

I like what Raven said in the documentary Forever Hardcore. Parafrased it came down to this: because smart fans think they're smart, they can be played even more easily, just in a different way. Storytellers and manipulators as Chris Jericho and CM Punk are not to be trusted when they twitter, whilst companymen as John Cena by definition censor themselves.

About the dawning of a new era: I see a certain trend. I believe the WWE is beginning to understand that they can't control everything, that to keep the product interesting you have to give wrestlers some creative freedom to do something surprising, to try a new gimmick or move.

AOF666
08-14-2011, 08:41 AM
I don't think it is too soon. I think it is too late for wrestling. The internet change things and wrestling didn't change fast enough to keep up with it.

Y2J___Y2J
08-14-2011, 09:08 AM
The only way anybody will know if there is a new era on the horizon, is if Punk wins tonight and holds the belt for a while

Synned
08-14-2011, 11:10 AM
pipe bomb!

the wrestling shade
08-14-2011, 02:32 PM
Lol the reality era?!?! its kinda lame dont you think?!?! and who on earth thinks that this era is has been lunched or will be lunched. its just a storyline and its Cm Punk. an era doesnt follow only one wrestler, we are talking about a major shift in attitude, the content, and a whole new approche. and that is yet to happen in WWE . so no people nothing has changed, at least not yet. we are still in the PG Era.

Mtt08 xXx
08-14-2011, 02:38 PM
we'll find out once Cena and Punk start feuding with other people. This storyline has so much heat, everyone is already saying its a new era. im not buying it, YET.

i do think WWE is headed in the right direction though.

Dr. Death
08-14-2011, 06:50 PM
As far as a New Era goes, I believe we are at the start of something because of the younger talent starting to rise and make names for themselves. We no longer see very many stars that a lot of us grew up with and as such the face and perception of wrestling has/will be changing. To call it the "Reality Era" is a little premature at this point and a lot of change towards a new era is dependent upon the outcome of the next few months of ppvs and the matches/feuds that arise out of them.

Brewer 314
08-14-2011, 06:51 PM
Just wait until Linda McMahon offically announces her next senate run.

AreYaSerious
08-15-2011, 03:01 AM
Just wait until Linda McMahon offically announces her next senate run.

Yeah, that went over so well last time.

dragonsrevenge
08-15-2011, 03:47 PM
Yeah, SS pretty much proved my point, considering it looks like they killed all the momentum they had going into this from MITB. Of course it's too soon to tell, but my interest has drained pretty quickly.

The Hit Man
08-15-2011, 04:00 PM
I would say we are in a transitional period at the moment. An era change takes some amount of time to happen. If you look at the main event scene just now and compare it to the one two years ago, there's only Orton, Cena, Punk, Mysterio, Kane and Big Show. Even at that it looks as if Kane and Big Show have been moved to mid card. People like HBK, Edge, Jericho, Batista and Hardy have moved on and HHH and Taker are now working part time. We have new guys stepping up to the plate such as Christian, Miz, Sheamus and Del Rio. After a while once these guys have more main event experience and other guys such as Morrison, Ziggler, Bryan, Rhodes and Barrett step up then we will truly have a new era.

If I had to choose what era we're in right now it would still be the PG era.

tshizzy34
08-19-2011, 05:07 AM
Yeah, SS pretty much proved my point, considering it looks like they killed all the momentum they had going into this from MITB. Of course it's too soon to tell, but my interest has drained pretty quickly.

Yea they might have just pulled a Nexus on us again lol