PDA

View Full Version : Is CM Punks new gimmick built to last?

WISEGUY
08-11-2011, 02:59 PM
I got this source of information somewhere and I found it quite interesting.

"Now I love CM Punk as much as the next guy but as of now I think his whole gimmick is based off of the fact that he is the anti Cena/WWE. Once this feud is over I think people will get bored of his "voice of the voiceless gimmick". Also Punk isn't the most charismatic wrestler during his matches. I find he has an inability to fire up a crowd when he's in the ring. I'm not saying he is a bad wrestler it's just he has very little in ring charisma. Do you think Punk will be able to entertain the crowd for years to come or will he need a change of gimmick eventually?"

Seeing that HHH and Cena is one of the only foundations CM Punk's "voice of the voiceless" gimmick is effective against. Where will CM Punk turn once this whole altercation with Cena and HHH is over?

Danielle20SxE
08-11-2011, 03:08 PM

"Now I love CM Punk as much as the next guy but as of now I think his whole gimmick is based off of the fact that he is the anti Cena/WWE. Once this feud is over I think people will get bored of his "voice of the voiceless gimmick". Also Punk isn't the most charismatic wrestler during his matches. I find he has an inability to fire up a crowd when he's in the ring. I'm not saying he is a bad wrestler it's just he has very little in ring charisma. Do you think Punk will be able to entertain the crowd for years to come or will he need a change of gimmick eventually?"

Seeing that HHH and Cena is one of the only foundations CM Punk's "voice of the voiceless" gimmick is effective against. Where will CM Punk turn once this whole altercation with Cena and HHH is over?

If he doesn't have charisma, I would like to know who does.

tittle97
08-11-2011, 03:11 PM

Christian is the Captain of Charisma lol.

I see what the OP is saying, but I totally diasgree. Punk is GOLD on the mic and is able to generate enough heat simply by that. As far as in-ring charisma, did you happen to see Money in the Bank??

The New Guy
08-11-2011, 03:15 PM
Well, Austin did a career of being anti Mcmahon/WWE, why can't Punk do it also?

:)

tittle97
08-11-2011, 03:16 PM

True, and it's not like Punk has backed himself into a corner with this gimmick, it's organic enough for him to change as time/future angles change.

johnnydropkicks
08-11-2011, 03:17 PM
punk no in ring charisma wtf

wtf man wtf

but you're right that he can't keep smashing pumpkins as his gimmick forever.

jelle1809
08-11-2011, 03:23 PM

^^^^^^What they said^^^^^^

This CM Punk gimmick will be the start of something new for Raw and even WWE. They are now turning Punk into a new veteran for the years to come.

FLWWEFan
08-11-2011, 03:37 PM
This CM Punk gimmick will be the start of something new for Raw and even WWE. They are now turning Punk into a new veteran for the years to come.

Agreed 100%

Bob Lion54
08-11-2011, 03:42 PM
Punk definitely has in-ring charisma. No clue what that's about... I loved his shout out of "CHICAGO!" before his suicide dive at MITB. Hulk Hogan made a career out of pretty much just looking at the crowd with a look of "do you want me to hit him?" So long as a wrestler doesn't forget the crowd is there and actually involves them a bit, they're fine if they have good mic skills otherwise. And Punk certainly has that.

As far as his current gimmick goes, it's perfectly fine for the long run, so long as he doesn't get bored with it. It just all comes down to booking and story lines. Sure, there's some room for growth and a bit of change/build up with the character, but if the bookings solid, this gimmick is a great base to keep him at the top for a long time.

Y2J___Y2J
08-11-2011, 03:47 PM
Maybe it will last if he turns into more of a heel ..
Like saying "the people are too stupid to speak for themselve so I will be their voice.. because I know what's best" etc.
It won't last like he is right now.
Everyone loving Punk us just a phase. In a few months time it will be someone else

AOF666
08-11-2011, 03:49 PM
It seemed like Punk had no charisma or could of been the crowd. Again it seems like Punk and Del Rio has no chemistry in the ring.

thatdevilsblue
08-11-2011, 03:55 PM
well that source either has their head up their ass or wouldn't know charisma if it bit them in the ass...Punk a hell of a lot more charisma than most guys in the ring today, and i'm not just talking about about on the mic...saying punk has no in-ring charisma is like saying John Cena's character is not cheesy or watered down in the slightest, it's just not true. Punk brings out the best in all his opponents, comes up with new moves all the time, and is even pretty vocal in his matches too which is always entertaining...i think whoever this source is that is saying they love Punk as much as the next guy is full of shit...if you loved Punk as much as his other true fans do (like myself), you wouldn't be trying to figure out if he has in-ring charisma or not, because it's nothing to figure out...to be honest, i think this "source" only cares about Punk's mic work and doesn't even pay attention to his matches, because his matches are just as important as his mic work!

Daffy Duck's Finest
08-11-2011, 03:56 PM
True, and it's not like Punk has backed himself into a corner with this gimmick, it's organic enough for him to change as time/future angles change.

Completely agree.

In addition, I think this new gimmick is eventually meant to nurture a heel turn in a year or so... similar to the last Chris Jericho run - personified by his 'arrogance'.

Tommy Thunder
08-11-2011, 03:58 PM
To say that Punk has no charisma is like saying that Cena is the best wrestler in the world *chough*irelandspatriot*cough*

This gimmick has plenty of potential. Like the New Guy said, if Austin could make a career out of it, so can CM Punk.

CMRyder
08-11-2011, 04:41 PM
Look at my avy, proof he has in ring charisma.

LMPunker
08-11-2011, 04:44 PM
i dont really see it as a "gimmick" hes just being cm punk he can say what he wants within obvious limits they trust him enough to have 30 minute plus main event match on a ppv (possible twice in a row).i think it doeshave legs to stand on like bret hart had the best there is the best there was best there ever will be and that didnt fade and hes beaten everybody,people compare him to austin and i can see why but i see him more of a 1997 shawn michaels

Murphdogg4
08-11-2011, 04:59 PM
the only threat to Punk is the WWE Machine itself, I can't see them pushing him to long, even if they do bury him WRESTLING non Sports entertainment fans will still like him because he is the steak over the sizzle. He is the Grunge over the Hair Metal.

Ain't No Grave
08-11-2011, 05:00 PM

What the fuck are you going on about?! Couldn't disagree more.

printz1224
08-11-2011, 05:12 PM
is it just me, or is CM Punk nowadays a lot like John Bender from the breakfast club?

Reloval
08-11-2011, 05:21 PM
We have to remember that alot of the biggest names in wrestling started off slow, but became huge because they were given some free range in their gimmicks. Punk has worked his ass off to get to the point to allow WWE to give him that. I don't think he's going to let his gimmick get stale. I think the bigger concern is who can the WWE build up enough to create an interesting fued with him after the Cena fued and a few others.

ihearvoices
08-11-2011, 05:31 PM
We have to remember that alot of the biggest names in wrestling started off slow, but became huge because they were given some free range in their gimmicks. Punk has worked his ass off to get to the point to allow WWE to give him that. I don't think he's going to let his gimmick get stale. I think the bigger concern is who can the WWE build up enough to create an interesting fued with him after the Cena fued and a few others.

I agree cause some on punk success goes with the fact he is saying alot of the same crap i see on here on a daily basis about cena so when he is no longer feuding with cena who will he have to go at with his promo thats why i think he might be in trouble unless the main focus because Cm punk vs HHH not in a match but more of promo's back and forth

jaymo
08-11-2011, 07:27 PM
As much as i'm not a fan of cm pepsi i still love how he has became this new character.He play's this well so don't doubt his future till you see it.

FPR Lord Wrom
08-11-2011, 07:37 PM
im enjoying it too, but im just not sure how long this gimmick can last.
Honestly once I realized he had resigned, he lost a lot of steam in my eyes.

TempestH
08-11-2011, 09:13 PM
Maybe it will last if he turns into more of a heel ..
Like saying "the people are too stupid to speak for themselve so I will be their voice.. because I know what's best" etc.
It won't last like he is right now.
Everyone loving Punk us just a phase. In a few months time it will be someone else

Isn't that what S.E.S./New Nexus Punk was?

AreYaSerious
08-12-2011, 03:21 AM
I happen to disagree. Punk's new gimmick is similar to his old ones, but rebelling against "the system." aka Underground Hero. He can use his gimmick on anybody. Punk has done very well with all his gimmicks, all have been pure genius. He will have a great career. He's gold on the microphone. He can really get the crowd going. I remember Miz trying the Anti Cena gimmick, it didn't work as well as Punks if you remember correctly. He can change it up in multiple ways without getting stale. I can see him saying stuff like "well just like his idiot father in law, The game can't appreciate a great champion when he had one, he seems to refuse me my rematch, why? I'll tell you why it's because I don't get on my knees and kiss his ass." That's just one road they can go down, there is so many more. It's going to stay for a long time.

jcagosto
08-12-2011, 10:34 AM
is it just me, or is CM Punk nowadays a lot like John Bender from the breakfast club?

He did referenced the Breakfast Club during one of his speeches.

Manabu
08-12-2011, 10:59 AM
I cant see it lasting, people can only be the voice for the voiceless/voice of the unheard generation/underground etc it's a matter of time before people start thinking "hes saying all this stuff, but he still works there, he still gets his shirts printed" it's the same as kurt cobain. I'm not saying cm punk will kill himself but after nevermind people had a hard time really buying into what kurt was singing because of how big nirvana had become and how much merchandise there was
Hey it might not happen, but I dont think the gimmick will last

Synned
08-12-2011, 11:31 AM

that was my thought as well. Punk is this era's Stone cold. and Cena(as much as i hate to say this) is this era's rock. While Trips is this Era's McMahon.

if done right this can easly go 2 years. (off and on fueding between them.)

On The topic of Him having carsima.... i'll just leave this here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2TdWbBhxzpY

just listen to the pop just from the words "I'm baaack"
if that doesn't say carsima i don't know what will.

machoo mann
08-12-2011, 11:46 AM
Punk is a fresh breeze of air after a long wait..he has a great sense of sarcasm and he knows how to use it as his advantage during his promos. I guess only time will tell if this gimmick lasts. I would like to remind that maybe after this Cena-HHH storyline Punk will take the break he has craved so much.

Rich Cranium
08-12-2011, 11:50 AM
Yes it is and I hope it does last.

Etta411
08-12-2011, 02:05 PM
Does anyone else think that CM Punk's "voice of the voiceless" character is very similar to Brian Pillman's "Loose Cannon" character that he portrayed in WCW, ECW, and WWF from early '96 until his death?

Punk seems like the perfect man to ressurect the "loose cannon" legacy from the grave(no pun intended).

The characters are almost eerily similar(in a good way). I can't wait to see how long Punk can maintain this character, and far he will go with it. I'd love to see Punk continue on this path for the longterm, since Pillman sadly didn't get that chance.

I know that alot of people are speculating now that the current CM Punk angle is the jumping-off point of a new WWE-era to replace the PG/Cena-era, which is also a strange coincidence because... in alot of ways the signing of Brian Pillman could be looked at as the catalyst that created the "Attitude Era".

the-rocks-stunner
08-12-2011, 02:40 PM
i think he can but i just hope cena doesn't bury him on sunday if cm punk wins i think he can

dmt4life
sorry, but Punk and Pillman were and are two very different personalities, both on screen and backstage, both very much let who they really are appear on camera, Punk being that straight edge in your face entertainer, Pillman being the wacky over the top unpredictable prankster. Now seeing a past versus present fued, I'd love to see Pillman vs Punk even more than Punk vs Austin or Jericho.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hzq7JvLH8W4

^ why Punk will never be similar to Pillman

GreatMuta4life
Interesting point. After Kauffman and Lawler, Pillman was the the modern innovator of the worked shoot. Now Pillman as the loose cannon was firmly a heel character, so I think that's the difference between his character and Punk's. Plus Pillman was in the new Hart Foundation, not on his own. But there are rumors of WWE bringing in Colt Cabana and the Kings of Wrestling, so maybe the parallels to Pillman will continue to grow. All I know is that I can't believe I got rid of my Pillman "I don't dial 911" shirt!

http://www.sabotagetimes.com/wp-content/uploads/BrianPillman008.jpg

shanethewolf
08-12-2011, 02:43 PM
Yes there are some vague similarities, at least in terms of storyline, but I was hoping for more. Remember the press conference when Brian Pillman flips out? I was hoping CM Punk would do the same kind of thing on his return.

Obviously Punk is very toned down compared to Pillman as he was a true loose cannon. People talk about CM Punk like he's the first person to ever do this kind of thing, but Pillman was far more controversial, as was Scott Steiner back in WCW.

Not taking anything away from Punk, but I think the reason he is shining as this rebel character is because it's so rare in these times and everything is so corporate and sterile.

shanethewolf
08-12-2011, 02:46 PM
Now seeing a past versus present fued, I'd love to see Pillman vs Punk even more than Punk vs Austin or Jericho.

Definitely man! I'm with you on that. That would've been one hell of a match and one crazy feud!

FLWWEFan
08-12-2011, 03:23 PM
Don't think they're really similar, Pillman's character was a total nut, Punk's character to me is far from being a nutcase.

Enforcer23
08-12-2011, 03:30 PM
Don't think they're really similar, Pillman's character was a total nut, Punk's character to me is far from being a nutcase.

yeah man punk straight edge he ante nuts

AOF666
08-12-2011, 03:36 PM
sorry, but Punk and Pillman were and are two very different personalities, both on screen and backstage, both very much let who they really are appear on camera, Punk being that straight edge in your face entertainer, Pillman being the wacky over the top unpredictable prankster. Now seeing a past versus present fued, I'd love to see Pillman vs Punk even more than Punk vs Austin or Jericho.

Reminds me the South Park episode with Randy's master piece!

LMPunker
08-12-2011, 04:37 PM
they do have simerlarities certaining but they are two different animals entirely pillman was more of a high flier hence the name flying brian pillman and punk is a striker/mma/technical wrestler id say punk is more simerler to hbk in 1997

Markedoutforlife
08-12-2011, 05:09 PM
Drawing similarities is fun to think about, but it also rakes away from both "characters". I like both, but its a slap in the face to call anyone the NEW somebody else. If they were that alike, I think cm punk wouldnt be as big as he is. Pillman a punk, similar, I suppose, but not the same!

tshizzy34
08-12-2011, 05:23 PM
They are similar to a point, but as said before Punk is a genius and in no way the nutty looking over the top kinda guy, where as Pillman was.

beatfighter3000
08-12-2011, 06:34 PM

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL That has to be the funniest thing i've heard all week LOL

THE_CRIPPLER
08-13-2011, 12:22 AM
They both did a work shoot thing on TV, but Pillmans was done much better... Pillman had everyone fooled.......Other than the Worked Shoot thing i dont see anything that really makes them similar.

Iron Ape
08-13-2011, 12:51 AM

Haha. This made my day.

DonCorleone
08-13-2011, 12:54 AM
I really don't even think CM Punk is a face because he likes to publicly share his thoughts about Dwayne, the guy who is loved by the MILLIONS and MILLIONS ...

THE_CRIPPLER
08-13-2011, 01:13 AM

Cause Punk is no Austin and nor will he ever be

THE_CRIPPLER
08-13-2011, 01:23 AM
Haha. This made my day.

Wow i thought all IWC own this DVD that the Video is from.... well its a great DVD set, which i didnt think they would put so much effort in, but they actually did....... its pretty cheap now since its older, i sugest to who ever to pick it up.

Danielle20SxE
08-13-2011, 01:27 AM
CM Punk = CM Punk

IrkenInvader
08-13-2011, 01:39 AM
CM Punk = CM Punk

This guy gets it.

Markedoutforlife
08-13-2011, 04:16 AM
This GIRL gets it.

Corrected out of boredome.