PDA

View Full Version : Blurring Lines Between Heels & Faces

JamFran
08-10-2011, 06:22 PM
Is it me, or has the WWE been blurring the lines between some of their top heels and faces lately, essentially making more tweener characters? What do you guys think of this? I for one am enjoying the more realistic characters that have come out of it. Here are a few examples of what I mean:

CM Punk - He went from being an over the top cult leader, to this voice of the voiceless overnight. He says some heelish things, but he is so over because he is essentially being an anti-establishment character that most people can relate to. Also he has been reiterating a lot of the things that anyone would find on a wrestling site such as this.
John Cena - in this feud with Punk, he has gone on a slight change, while maintaining his core fans of Women and Kids. I don't know if anyone else caught it, but during his contract signing with Punk, he basically said, I don't care who likes me, but for those who do I do this for you. Saying I don't care if the audience likes me is typically done by a heel. I think this feud with Punk is bringing out a more realistic side in Cena than we have seen before. Let's just hope he's going to be ok with losing a match cleanly more often.
Randy Orton - His Viper persona has never fit with into the typical mode of what we know as faces and yet, he has such a fan following its scary. And this whole "anger management problem" angle they're going with now its bring to the forefront what used to define his heel character. Also the punt kick is such an unusual move for a face
Christian - Christian's role as a heel is a very believable and relate able one. He was on the top for the first time in his career only to be screwed again and again, and became frustrated with it and took matters into his own hands. His heel turn didn't cause him to lose many of his fans because of how it went down, and a lot of people (myself included) felt he was justified in doing what he has done.
R-Truth - In his new heel role, he has become so comical that it is hard to boo him. Really not much more to say
Zack Ryder - It is impossible now to know whether this guy is heel or face. Before his internet sensational videos came out, he was obviously a heel getting little to no reaction. Now he is cheered and adored for the same character he had before is internet videos came out which flushed out his character.

aweso_me
08-10-2011, 06:38 PM
I think we have blurred the line. We don't allow Vince to tell us who the bad guys are or Dixie in TNA either. If we like them we like them. It's a respect thing. I remember when the invasion angle came in and everybody from the wcw/ecw faction got booed except for RVD. There comes a point where the respect for the person is much more than the persona. Same goes with Ric Flair. We respect his accomplishments and what he has done so we cheer for him. R-Truth is doing so well at his new character that we like it. Zack Ryder was a damn heel and the IWC got behind him. I rather enjoy the blurred line.

Y2J___Y2J
08-10-2011, 06:41 PM
I think it's more like these guys have a cult like following..
Punk - Everyone older than 12 loves.!
Cena - Anyone under 12 loves
Orton - Everybody loves 'cuz he beat the shit out of Cena a few times lol
Christian - It's just respect for what he has done..
R-Truth - Who the fuck likes him? lol
Zach Ryder - Is getting insanely over nowadays..

I think a lot of TNA's roster would be more suitable to call tweeners tbh,
They change so much it's hard to hate or like them..

Rilla
08-10-2011, 06:44 PM
I think a lot of TNA's roster would be more suitable to call tweeners tbh,
They change so much it's hard to hate or like them..

Case and point. Doug. Williams.

For Cena's, I don't know if that much makes him a heel, or a tweener. Normally, neither of them(Heels, Tweeners), from what I've seen, tell their fans that 'I don't care about the ones that don't like me,' they either don't acknowledge it, or dislike ALL of them

zrdt12
08-10-2011, 06:44 PM
I like R-Truth. This is the way it should be though. There's tons of different ways to capture your attention, some is through building one guy up to be superman to save you from the villain. This is at the point of choose who you like the best and root for him. At a point where I could see either title match go either way and be happy.

eire attitude 91
08-10-2011, 06:51 PM
punk became an-anti hero because he wasnt a face or doing face things but the fans loved it, andhe cant change to being a face because we love him for what he is. same thing happened to austin when he was meant to be a heel against bret hart and the fans loved him. same thing with the rock when he was meant to be heel in his early days in the nation of domination but fans loved him because he wasnt super hero

i personally think the wwe planned on making punk a heel against cena but couldnt control the fans' response

same for cena they want him to be loved and adored but cant control the fans response. im just glad we can be entertained for the first time in a long time like punk said we have tangeable change

dres1214
08-10-2011, 06:56 PM
i personally think the wwe planned on making punk a heel against cena but couldnt control the fans' response

same for cena they want him to be loved and adored but cant control the fans response. im just glad we can be entertained for the first time in a long time like punk said we have tangeable change

To me what you said is basically on the money. WWE is entertaining the viewers and fans for once.

AOF666
08-10-2011, 07:03 PM
Is it me, or has the WWE been blurring the lines between some of their top heels and faces lately, essentially making more tweener characters? What do you guys think of this? I for one am enjoying the more realistic characters that have come out of it. Here are a few examples of what I mean:

CM Punk - He went from being an over the top cult leader, to this voice of the voiceless overnight. He says some heelish things, but he is so over because he is essentially being an anti-establishment character that most people can relate to. Also he has been reiterating a lot of the things that anyone would find on a wrestling site such as this.
John Cena - in this feud with Punk, he has gone on a slight change, while maintaining his core fans of Women and Kids. I don't know if anyone else caught it, but during his contract signing with Punk, he basically said, I don't care who likes me, but for those who do I do this for you. Saying I don't care if the audience likes me is typically done by a heel. I think this feud with Punk is bringing out a more realistic side in Cena than we have seen before. Let's just hope he's going to be ok with losing a match cleanly more often.
Randy Orton - His Viper persona has never fit with into the typical mode of what we know as faces and yet, he has such a fan following its scary. And this whole "anger management problem" angle they're going with now its bring to the forefront what used to define his heel character. Also the punt kick is such an unusual move for a face
Christian - Christian's role as a heel is a very believable and relate able one. He was on the top for the first time in his career only to be screwed again and again, and became frustrated with it and took matters into his own hands. His heel turn didn't cause him to lose many of his fans because of how it went down, and a lot of people (myself included) felt he was justified in doing what he has done.
R-Truth - In his new heel role, he has become so comical that it is hard to boo him. Really not much more to say
Zack Ryder - It is impossible now to know whether this guy is heel or face. Before his internet sensational videos came out, he was obviously a heel getting little to no reaction. Now he is cheered and adored for the same character he had before is internet videos came out which flushed out his character.

WWE is not blurring the lines, the fans are. I think WWE is confused, because they use to have control over the audience on who to boo and cheer. They don't have that anymore.

SkilletBoi
08-10-2011, 07:31 PM
Orton's a tweener or an anti-face some call it, like stone cold and rick flair, they rarely did anything a typical face would do they had bad attitudes and they didnt always win their matches fair and square but the crowd loved them.

johnnydropkicks
08-10-2011, 07:39 PM
Bodom said it best. It's nice for Cena to be taking shit seriously and just look like he's a bit frazzed by his competition every now and again. Instead of just coming out and telling everyone they suck and they're a joke and then if he loses getting screwed somehow.

he's not losing clean this sunday though that's for damn sure. there's a reason HHH is in this.

CMRyder
08-10-2011, 09:41 PM
I don't like R-Truth but he cracks me the fuck up for some reason.

PJaybe
08-11-2011, 04:13 AM
Hasn't this been happening since The Attitude Era in WWE/F and the NWO in WCW?? The "good old days" where we clearly knew who to boo and cheer have long gone, and fans follow their favourites whichever side of the line they are. The likes of Steve Austin proved that years ago.

Philip

Enforcer23
08-11-2011, 04:31 AM
I think we have blurred the line. We don't allow Vince to tell us who the bad guys are or Dixie in TNA either. If we like them we like them. It's a respect thing. I remember when the invasion angle came in and everybody from the wcw/ecw faction got booed except for RVD. There comes a point where the respect for the person is much more than the persona. Same goes with Ric Flair. We respect his accomplishments and what he has done so we cheer for him. R-Truth is doing so well at his new character that we like it. Zack Ryder was a damn heel and the IWC got behind him. I rather enjoy the blurred line.

agreed the fans really pick whos to boo and cheer

MDollaz
08-11-2011, 04:53 AM
You guys have got it all wrong. This is the very reason that Cena will not turn heel until it's absolutely perfectly the right time.

Cena, and now Punk, both represent exactly what the WWE is trying to push and has been pushing for a while now: The power of choice. Think of this: When The Rock debuted and the fans turned on him completely, the WWE realized that the blue chipper they tried to create wasn't connecting so they went with the fan response and made him a heel. On the other hand Cena has been getting booed for the better part of the last 5 years with no turn in sight. Every opportunity has been ignored, squandered and a heel turn exists as nothing more than a fantasy of the IWC. That's because Cena represents the power to choose who you cheer for and who to boo. You don't have to make him a heel because, essentially speaking, he already is a heel. Same with Punk now. Punk is what Stone Cold was is 96 or what Orton was in 2009, the anti-Cena. So where the children and the women all scream their heads off for Cena, the guys who are sick of the Superman routine and the goody goody rainbow colors BS have all gotten behind Punk, making him their babyface.

Its all about the power of choice with WWE. They're pushing the "WWE Universe" as having all the power within WWE. The lines aren't blurred. They don't exist.

steveorton
08-11-2011, 07:46 AM
Yea I am enjoying it too, let the fans who they want to cheer, I'm jus sayin...

spidercentz
08-11-2011, 10:42 AM
To me what you said is basically on the money. WWE is entertaining the viewers and fans for once.

WWE has always entertained us REAL fans. Maybe not you Internet Wrestling Handful of People. And yes, there are heels I like (CM Punk) and faces I don't like (not John Cena) but for the sake of having a little fun with the show I boo the heels and cheer the faces. It's much more enjoyable that way.

eire attitude 91
08-11-2011, 11:38 AM
That's because Cena represents the power to choose who you cheer for and who to boo. You don't have to make him a heel because, essentially speaking, he already is a heel. Same with Punk now. Punk is what Stone Cold was is 96 or what Orton was in 2009, the anti-Cena. So where the children and the women all scream their heads off for Cena, the guys who are sick of the Superman routine and the goody goody rainbow colors BS have all gotten behind Punk, making him their babyface.

Its all about the power of choice with WWE. They're pushing the "WWE Universe" as having all the power within WWE. The lines aren't blurred. They don't exist.

my thoughts exactly

HCollins-TNA1
08-11-2011, 01:22 PM
This has been a thing since the late 90s if one remembers...
With Shawn Micheals, Steve Austin, the Rock, the Undertaker, Sting, DDP, Hulk Hogan, Ric Flair, Randy Savage and many others....
Sometimes it very hard to determine heel or face or such....
It don't seem to be about black or white it seems to be about shades of Gray!!!