PDA

View Full Version : WWE Tag Team Division...will we ever see it become relevant again?

FLWWEFan
08-03-2011, 07:34 AM
What is everyone's take on the tag team division in the WWE? Everyone know's it's watered down like crazy and there's hardly any true tag teams right now in the WWE. My question is do you think the tag team division in the WWE will ever be what it used to be back in the days when we seen tag teams like Demolition, Legion of Doom, Hart Foundation, Nasty Boys, etc or will tag teams continue just to be thrown together like they are now?

CMhuw24
08-03-2011, 08:47 AM
In an Era when tag teaming is quite irrelavent in WWE, and has been for 3-4years now no sadly.
The last time anything big happened with tag teams was DX vs JeriShow at 2010 TLC.

AOF666
08-03-2011, 08:47 AM
If there is a comeback it will take a long time.

CMhuw24
08-03-2011, 08:51 AM
Sorry to correct my last post it was 2009 TLC.

Tommy Thunder
08-03-2011, 08:55 AM
WWE have potential to have a great tag team division. They Have The Usos as the only legit tag team that are together. They have numerous singles guys that have tagged before; Zack Ryder, Curt Hawkins, Trent Barreta, Tyson Kidd, DH Smith, JTG etc who are all being wasted away into nothing. They also have a few tag teams in FCW who are looking promising. And of course, the Kings of Wrestling are on their way in. I hope that last point is a sign that WWE are trying to make the division relevant again.

Tomsta666
08-03-2011, 08:56 AM
There has to be legitimate tag teams though. I mean, correct me if i'm wrong but the Usos are the only one aren't they? Yes, we still get tag matches but it's usually pair of faces VS pair of heels. Bringing back legitimate tag teams, will bring back a legitimate tag division.

Markedoutforlife
08-03-2011, 08:57 AM
All the peices are ther for an amazing tag division:
Hart dynasty
Ryder and hawkins
The usos
debiase brothers
Jtg and mark henry should be a heel team

Regal>Cena
08-03-2011, 11:37 AM
I always found the tag team division to be the most interesting thing - but then again tag teams like Edge and Christian, The Hardy's or even The Dudleys were kind of edgy and cool. The thing is there was variety there, all the Tag Team Division has become in recent years is a way of pushing heavyweight title contenders or something to use the cruiser weights for.

I think the problem is WWE find it better to market individuals than they do tag teams; its a shame really, I think that they could probably have a better division than TNA do AND use it better but they choose not to.

Final_Silence
08-03-2011, 11:38 AM
I don't think anytime soon. The roster is too weak right now, there's not enough to have good main eventers never mind tags. First you would have to eliminate the brands. Build up the roster. Back when it was relevant you had top mid carders in tags. Acolytes, Hardys, E+C, Dudleys, New Age Outlaws, JJ and Owen, and aside from them you had an amazing line up above them. Makind, Kane, Undertaker, SCSA, The Rock, Chris Jericho just to name a few. Now let's do that today, put these mid cards in tags, Sheamus, Barrett, Miz, R-Truth, Mark Henry, Rhodes, Dibiase. Where would any other competition come from?

Sony
08-03-2011, 12:06 PM
The tag team division has been on a steady decline since the mid-late 90s. The 80s was the heyday of the tag team division. It was full of legendary tag teams such as LOD, Horsemen, Demolishion, British Bulldogs, Hart Foundation, Steiner Brothers, Freebirds, Rockers, Rock and Roll express, ect.
The early-mid 90s still had the tag teams from the 80s competing at a high level, but new tag teams were also coming into the conversation such as Harlem Heat, Public Enemy, Hardy Boys, ect.
NOW, the late 90s was when I could see the decline of the tag team division. We had teams such as the headbangers (Who?), Oddities (Who?), smoking gunns (Billy's claim 2 fame was after leaving the gunns), Outsiders (always will be remembered as the NWO rather then a tag team), Mark Henry and D'Lo (2 guys who couldn't get over on their own), New Age Outlaws (again, 2 guys who couldn't get over on their own), Dudley Boyz (extremely overrated imo), ect.
After the 90s I can't really think of a actually tag team that wasn't just 2 wrestlers just thrown together. If a actually tag team was signed or manufactured by WWE, they were either either given a short run then given a singles push or simply let go.
When looking back, maybe other then the Dudleys for some, none of the tag teams from the late 90s to the present will be remembered like the teams from the 80s and maybe early 90s. The fact that Vince has a dislike for the tag team division because he has to pay 2 wrestlers instead of one, but only makes as much as 1 wrestler from merchandising makes it unlikely that the tag team division will ever come back to glory until Vince gives up control.
I am not even going to begin discussing my anger towards what has happened to the intercontinental and US title!

Viperfish
08-03-2011, 12:48 PM
Sadly, there came a point in time where the tag division was simply declared inferior to singles wrestling. It didn't happen just like that but look at the Rockers, they got broken up so Shawn could have a bigger and better singles career. That's the key right there, singles = bigger and better, and has been for a long while now. Until they make the tag division itself important again, and emphasize that the tag belts actually mean something, and of course when they bring real teams in, then the division can grow.

It's not just the fact that there aren't any real tag teams except the Usos(that's probably not the sole reason, but it sure is the biggest), it's that the division itself and the belts don't mean anything. If the tag belts are perceived as being as important or just a cut less than the world title, and there are real rivalries over those belts, then the tag division would be in a better spot.

In some ways you could say the same thing about the IC title and the US title right now. The IC title used to be the workhorse belt for a period of time, and people used to gun for it with pride. They're too focused on the main title. You'd never see Randy Orton or Cena with the IC belt, they're always on a 'lesser' star. Yeah the younger guys need that title but if that title's only being bounced around the younger guys then the title doesn't mean that much. There was a time where guys like Bret and Shawn held it which brought credibility to the belt, and it meant something when they were beaten by an up and coming guy. Then of course you had guys actually gunning for that belt, which there's just a lack of that going on right now. There seems to be a lack of people that want that belt, so it means less, and that's the same thing with the tag belts... on the show it's like nobody actually wants the belts. They stick these guys in a match with no heat, no rivalry, no nothing.

I couldn't even tell you who the IC and US champs are right now, that's how much those belts suck.

Y2J___Y2J
08-03-2011, 12:51 PM
Proper tag teams may not be seen again for a while but with the KOW coming in, then it can't exactly be a bad thing for the tag division

wrestlingfan66513
08-03-2011, 01:16 PM
We did have some good tag teams in the early and mid 2000s like World's Greatest Tag Team, London and Kendrick, Billy and Chuck, the Bashams, MNM but the problem was once these teams got a few reigns and more popular they were converted into the singles wrestler. If they failed at that then they got kicked to the curb or one got the push while the other jobbed.

tshizzy34
08-03-2011, 01:36 PM
I just hope "SOMETHING" changes for the better and very soon because as many have said already, I too miss the real tag team division. But again if there not going to go about it properly and bring it back the right way and keep on just throwing 2 random people together for laughs or only a short term then forget it altogether.

Markedoutforlife
08-03-2011, 01:42 PM
Kahli amd swoggle for tag champs! Lol
All jokes aside, haveing two tag divisions killed itself. So having seperate brands inturn, killed tag team wrestling. By,the time they were unified, they were already dead and gone.

FLWWEFan
08-03-2011, 06:50 PM
Kahli amd swoggle for tag champs! Lol
All jokes aside, haveing two tag divisions killed itself. So having seperate brands inturn, killed tag team wrestling. By,the time they were unified, they were already dead and gone.

Not to mention breaking up a lot of tag teams didn't help matters. Tyson Kidd and David Hart Smith as well as JTG and Shad just to name a few.

SESAfro
08-03-2011, 06:52 PM
Not to mention breaking up a lot of tag teams didn't help matters. Tyson Kidd and David Hart Smith as well as JTG and Shad just to name a few.
The fact that they split up tag-teams where neither of the members could make it on their own is what baffles me.

TNA 'The very best'
08-03-2011, 07:25 PM
The fact that they split up tag-teams where neither of the members could make it on their own is what baffles me.

The Truth ^^^^

FLWWEFan
08-03-2011, 08:08 PM

Yeah, it looked like Tyson Kidd was gonna go somewhere same with Shad but it never happened. Gotta wonder WTF the E is thinking at times.

tshizzy34
08-03-2011, 09:31 PM
Yeah, it looked like Tyson Kidd was gonna go somewhere same with Shad but it never happened. Gotta wonder WTF the E is thinking at times.

That's the problem their not thinking at all!

tnawhat
08-03-2011, 09:34 PM
That's the problem their not thinking at all!

agree^^^^^^^

PandaMassacre
08-03-2011, 10:36 PM
It seems like they are at least trying. They formed some tag teams over the past month now, and there are rumors flying around that Claudio an Chris are going to straight to the main roster (most likely as a tag team). If these rumors end up being true then you can bet your ass that they will make the tag team division mean something again. Do you really expect WWE to screw that up when CM Punk has management by the balls? I do not think so.