PDA

View Full Version : Entrance Music and its Effects on Popularity

Danger
08-01-2011, 02:00 PM
There's been quite a few topics on entrance music in the WWE lately, and the discussion has gotten me thinking about how a wrestler's entrance theme directly influence's how popular they are. Obviously, that's not always the norm, but there are definitely quite a few cases.

For example, when did you guys first notice Alex Riley's main event potential? I had liked him from his time on NXT, and thought he was an ok wrestler since then. I even took a little bit of notice of him the night he attacked the Miz, but it wasn't until he made his entrance the following week with that awesome music that I think a lot of people got behind him.

Another example that I hear about a lot is John Morrison's theme song. Personally, I like the opening guitar riff, but the rest of the theme is just meh. We can all agree that Morrison is one of the most talented and most promising up and comers on Raw, but I always hear people saying that his theme song is holding him back. It kind of baffles me a bit, since he's a great wrestler and he's popular, but 45 seconds of music is holding him back?

Shawn Michaels, Austin, Hulk Hogan, The Rock, Cena... I could go on. They all have instantly recognizable theme music that gets the energy flowing when they come out. But how important was their theme music to their success?

Now for the topic of discussion. How important do you guys think theme music is to a wrestler's success/popularity and who do think benefits the most from their theme music or who do you think is hindered by it?

Ruthless_Aggression
08-01-2011, 02:04 PM
I think the first five seconds are the most important part of one's theme music. When you hear the first string of Triple H's theme, the gong in the Undertaker's theme, the riffs in the first few seconds of CM Punk's theme, and so on are what really pumps up the crowd right as they enter the arena.

TheBeardOfZeus
08-01-2011, 02:04 PM
It's a big part, because that can make someone memorable.

I was quite a fan of A-RY on NXT, I thought he was decent in-ring and has got talent on the mike.

I like Morrisons as well. I think music is important, but a crap theme won't hold you back too much. I mean, look at Khali. His theme wasn't very good but he's a former WHC.

SESAfro
08-01-2011, 02:17 PM
Yeah, as Zues stated, it's doesn't hurt as much if you have a bad theme. Take Chris Masters for example. He has THE most generic rock theme music, yet he has done well with his spot. He has the look. The things he needs is the mic skills, moves and the music. The thing with the music is it embodies what the wrestler is. It can make or break a gimmick too. So, it is rather important.

StevenT8481
08-01-2011, 02:30 PM
IMO its HUGE.
It can make or break a character/wrestler to me.
Example, Zigglers newest version of his intro music made me automatically like him more than I did before.
Maybe I put too much stock into the music, but it just plays a vital role IMO.

NWOMyGawd
08-01-2011, 02:31 PM
It's a big part, because that can make someone memorable.

I was quite a fan of A-RY on NXT, I thought he was decent in-ring and has got talent on the mike.

I like Morrisons as well. I think music is important, but a crap theme won't hold you back too much. I mean, look at Khali. His theme wasn't very good but he's a former WHC.

Khali only got the title because he is huge as a house. It's kind of hard to keep someone that large out of the title picture for that long. That's just the way that Vince used to think with some of these talentless giants. Morrison has the talent and the recognizable style. And I think that using a Doors-inspired (although it is pretty bad) works for someone like JM trying to come across as Jim Morrison. If he changed his gimmick a little bit and got that amazing first 5 seconds of a Titantron....instant champion.

TheBeardOfZeus
08-01-2011, 02:34 PM
Khali only got the title because he is huge as a house. It's kind of hard to keep someone that large out of the title picture for that long. That's just the way that Vince used to think with some of these talentless giants. Morrison has the talent and the recognizable style. And I think that using a Doors-inspired (although it is pretty bad) works for someone like JM trying to come across as Jim Morrison. If he changed his gimmick a little bit and got that amazing first 5 seconds of a Titantron....instant champion.

My point was more it doesn't make or break things.

Morrison's theme is quite good, he just needs to become more rockstar.

SESAfro
08-01-2011, 03:07 PM
Morrison's theme is quite good, he just needs to become more rockstar.
He doesn't really. His music permeates calm, laid-back style, which is shown when he first walks out with the small bounce. It just works out.

TheBeardOfZeus
08-01-2011, 03:08 PM
He doesn't really. His music permeates calm, laid-back style, which is shown when he first walks out with the small bounce. It just works out.

I meant more that he is a rockstar, be just that bit cooler and suave.

Not rock the fuck out, although if I had a rocker gimmick I would.

Y2Jryder
08-01-2011, 03:14 PM
I have to agree with you, Riley's theme song is awesome and he could be a main eventer. Morrison's theme song sucks just like Kofi's

zapphoman
08-01-2011, 03:14 PM
to me the entrance music needs to fit the wrestler. Cult of Personality for CM Punk is perfect for him. A-RYs fits pretty well as does The Mizs. John Cena needs to change his though. I don't even know what to think of Daniel Bryans though. That is like the only gripe I have on Daniel Bryan.

tad locust
08-01-2011, 03:19 PM
Most of the themes today are just like the wrestler's today,Generic.Most of the songs are performed by generic rock bands and don't fit the characters.The best theme in WWE Right now is Daniel Bryan's because it fits his character and is different.

Y2Jryder
08-01-2011, 03:21 PM
I think a theme song has to make the crowd hype up. I think i fall in sleep if i here D bryan his music

SESAfro
08-01-2011, 03:26 PM
Most of the themes today are just like the wrestler's today,Generic.Most of the songs are performed by generic rock bands and don't fit the characters.The best theme in WWE Right now is Daniel Bryan's because it fits his character and is different.
Don't know whether you are serious or trolling.

Well, he already had the suave feel when he was Johnny Nitro. Cockiness and smoothness went through the roof. Maybe just not as much, but a mid-point.

Danger
08-01-2011, 03:38 PM

This. While I don't think Bryan has the best music right now, he definitely has a recognizable and different music. There have been several interviews with wrestlers (Riley for example) who say they had never heard their own music until they came out for the first time with it. This generic rock music needs to stop, and the wrestlers definitely need to have some more input on what they come out to. I feel like no one puts any thought into it anymore and just slaps whatever they were working on the day before on a wrestler and expects them to get over with it. Some get decent music, and some get screwed.

Blinker
08-01-2011, 03:53 PM
Entrance music is huge to me. Like others have said, it sets the tone. It get's you pumped up. It let's you know in the first 2 seconds who's coming out. Then rest of the music is used to help define the character I think. You guys are right in saying that a lot of the music is generic. I think that comes down to 2 things. 1) The WWE doesn't care what music you have if you're not upper-mid card or main event. 2) The WWE knows that rock music is associated to tough people. New Guy. Want him to appear tough. BAM!! Generic rock song.

This doesn't mean I don't want there to be rock songs. Look at Edges, CM Punks (both), Austins, or Jericho's. All rock songs and all of them fit perfectly. What we're missing is those songs that deviate from the norm. Look at the songs for The Rock, Undertaker, Shawn Michaels, Cena, Hogan (Real American), Flair, and Macho Man. All of those songs break the away from the standard rock/metal songs. What it all comes down to is if it fits the person and the fans can understand that the song is an extension of the wrestlers personality.

I'm not a fan of Bryan's song, but oh well. If he likes it, it works for me. Maybe with a little time I'll see that it's a fitting song. Wrestlers really need a say in there music. It needs to be "their" song.

Mtt08 xXx
08-01-2011, 04:11 PM
entrance music is huge. I love sheamus and a-rys the most. punks old one used to be my favorite. cult of personality is alright, and it's cool that it's his old theme, but I just don't get the huge hype

VanHooliganX
08-01-2011, 04:11 PM
R-Truths song > All songs

kersh
08-01-2011, 04:29 PM
just checked
cult or personality
is 3rd in the uk rock chart on itune
not bad for one play on TV at 3.45am on a tuesday morning

Eve's Arse No.1
08-01-2011, 04:53 PM
only reason why i like Drew McIntyre is the fact his musics kicks arse

Y2J___Y2J
08-01-2011, 05:10 PM
HHH is an example of a perfectly fitting entrance song..
Morrison /Daniel Bryan/ Khali all have suckish songs..

Eve's Arse No.1
08-01-2011, 05:15 PM
HHH is an example of a perfectly fitting entrance song..
Morrison /Daniel Bryan/ Khali all have suckish songs..

Khali's first WWE theme song suited him this comedy one dosent although he is only suited to a comedy character.

Morrison had a good theme with MnM alot of people love that one

Danger
08-01-2011, 05:41 PM
only reason why i like Drew McIntyre is the fact his musics kicks arse

McIntyre is a good one. I didn't really like him until he got that music. I stopped liking Dibiase so much when he changed his. It's amazing how much impact the music really has.

NorbertBeaver
08-01-2011, 06:40 PM
I think, like many, that a bad theme isnt too harmful, but a good theme can have a great effect. Alex Riley is the perfect example of this. I liked him enough before, though I didnt think he would be a main eventer. However I love his new music, and I think it helps him connect with the audience. The starting part of his song is amazing as well. He still has a way to go to be a main eventer, but I believe if he maintains this connection with the audience, it is a real possibility.