PDA

View Full Version : King no more?

Riel
10-01-2010, 09:44 PM
I watched the SyFy Smackdown premier tonight and I noticed something. I actually enjoyed Cole's broadcasting and they way he, Striker and Grishim played off each other.

What made JR and The King or McMahon and Ventura or Heenan and Mean Jean so great was that they were all from the same generation and each had a role to fill (heel or face) and they played it perfectly. With Lawler as a face and with all these new guys asserting themselves as the new generation of commentators, is it time for the King to hang up his crown?

djsoulslayer
10-01-2010, 11:54 PM
U really make an interesting point. I personally believe that The King needs to remain a commentator for a little while longer...just until Grisham, Striker, and Matthews come into their own. There needs to be veteran commentators to help mentor the others.

Scottland
10-02-2010, 12:11 AM
Actually, I would like to see Grisham (play-by-play), Cole (heel) & Lawler (babyface) as a broadcasting team. Strikers okay but many find him annoying let alone from what I've always heard neither Michael Cole or Jerry Lawler are really fond of Matt Striker behind-the-scenes as alot of times Cole & Lawler don't practice there broadcasting routines with Striker before the PPVs.

P.S. It's deplorable that they got rid of JR but they can't get rid of Lawler too. JR is truly missed.

SilverGhost
10-02-2010, 12:30 AM
Would be bad to see if Lawler wasn't commentating. King looks like he is having a hard time with Cole but that is what I think.

I would be too if my broadcast partner was kissing ass.

jethro
10-02-2010, 02:57 AM
I dont want all commentators are wrestling wizards,know wrestling moves and all ala Matt Striker,Jerry Lawler is casual and I like it that way.

bkdlots
10-02-2010, 07:24 AM
Gorilla Monsoon and Bobby Heenan were the best team, hands down.

Ruggy
10-02-2010, 08:16 AM
Gorilla Monsoon and Bobby Heenan were the best team, hands down.

Monsoon got on my nerves a tad, but they were the classic good v evil in terms of personalities.

JR and King for me I think....

merhardt03
10-02-2010, 08:20 AM
We need infinite wisdom on this matter. Lol. Seriously tho The King shouldve went not JR IMO. Hes gotten old and boring. Either leave or start goin heel again... thatd be kinda cool with both Raw colors bein heel. Lol

IrkenInvader
10-02-2010, 09:59 AM
I wouldn't mind if Lawler kept on goin' if he would stop caring about the divas like the rest of us.

Splattered-Dreams
10-02-2010, 11:19 AM
Matt and Todd are both decent, but neither of them should be together - for now, they should be seperated.

How about this:

Todd and King - King could turn heel again, its happened thousands of times before
Cole and Striker - Striker could be a face, or Cole could easily step back into the role

OR, and this is the big question,

They could bring JOEY STYLES back, someone who knows how to call wrestling. No? You'd rather have a sports entertainment storyteller than a wrestling commentator. Go home.

Robstar
10-02-2010, 02:15 PM
Matt and Todd are both decent, but neither of them should be together - for now, they should be seperated.

How about this:

Todd and King - King could turn heel again, its happened thousands of times before
Cole and Striker - Striker could be a face, or Cole could easily step back into the role

They could bring JOEY STYLES back, someone who knows how to call wrestling. No? You'd rather have a sports entertainment storyteller than a wrestling commentator. Go home.

*smh* You make it sound as if all they have to do is ask Styles to come back to announcing. You do know he gave it up because he no longer enjoyed doing it (for WWE) don't you? It was HIS choice.

IMO, if Cole is going to heel it, then why would Lawler have to change?

Belzova
10-02-2010, 02:46 PM
I liked the 3-man team last friday. Matt Striker, Todd Grisham, and Michael Cole have such great chemistry on commentary. That would have been great for the SD commentary team, and my fantasy team for Raw would be Jim Ross, Mick Foley, and Jerry Lawler. WWWYKI!

Riel
10-02-2010, 03:49 PM
I liked the 3-man team last friday. Matt Striker, Todd Grisham, and Michael Cole have such great chemistry on commentary. That would have been great for the SD commentary team, and my fantasy team for Raw would be Jim Ross, Mick Foley, and Jerry Lawler. WWWYKI!

I liked it a lot too. I guess that's kinda why I brought this topic up, those three played so naturally off each other and it reminded me of commentary teams from the past. Cole and Lawler seem like an uncomfortable pairing to me and I would like to see it mixed up a little ... Then again maybe I just miss Lawler being a complete dick, because lets face it, he was good at that. His feud with the Hart family was gold and I think him being a face seems inorganic.

Riel
10-02-2010, 03:58 PM

How about this:

Yeah? Well sometimes I do want a sports entertainment storyteller. Mostly because its sports entertainment and a story teller is kind of essential, so is a wrestling commentator I know it was annoying watching Tony Schiavone miscall nearly every move. So maybe what I want is a good sports entertainment story teller.

Even in traditional sports the commentators have one guy strictly there for play by play and another for the Color Commentating. IMO to say one can exist without the other in an industry that is fist and foremost entertainment is an ignorant statement.

Splattered-Dreams
10-03-2010, 02:44 AM
IMO, if Cole is going to heel it, then why would Lawler have to change?

SD! is left with two second rae announcers? I'm not saying Cole is first rate, by any standards, but..

AGEOFFALL
10-03-2010, 02:46 AM
Stirker should replace Cole.

Splattered-Dreams
10-03-2010, 02:49 AM
Yeah? Well sometimes I do want a sports entertainment storyteller. Mostly because its sports entertainment and a story teller is kind of essential, so is a wrestling commentator I know it was annoying watching Tony Schiavone miscall nearly every move. So maybe what I want is a good sports entertainment story teller.

Even in traditional sports the commentators have one guy strictly there for play by play and another for the Color Commentating. IMO to say one can exist without the other in an industry that is fist and foremost entertainment is an ignorant statement.

That's up to you. Personally, I don't need to be reminded of storylines during matches. That's just me.