PDA

View Full Version : Did Cena deliver?

Ruthless_Aggression
07-17-2011, 10:16 PM
What did you all think? Do you think Chavo is satisfied by Cena's performance? I, myself, feel he did step up his game in response to his critics. The audience stopped the "You can't wrestle" chants and he even seemed to win over fans as the match went on. All that, and not doing the "5 moves of Doom" sequence and instead mixing it up in his move set. Thoughts?

helmsley
07-17-2011, 10:19 PM
i think is the best match cena had in the last three years, he delivered, is was a well balanced match, and he lost!

68wPayne
07-17-2011, 10:19 PM
What did you all think? Do you think Chavo is satisfied by Cena's performance? I, myself, feel he did step up his game in response to his critics. The audience stopped the "You can't wrestle" chants and he even seemed to win over fans as the match went on. All that, and not doing the "5 moves of Doom" sequence and instead mixing it up in his move set. Thoughts?

Kinda reminds me of the match of Hulk Hogan vs. Keiji Mutoh. Mutoh carried Hogan through a really good match but Hogan was able to show that he does have more than a couple of moves in his set.

Tay Moran
07-17-2011, 10:21 PM
Cena was great i think even the biggest Cena hater has to admit it

drumn4life0789
07-17-2011, 10:22 PM
I was just about to start a thread like this. In my opinion this is the best Cena has looked in a long time if not ever. He did atleast 5 moves that i have never seen him do and it made this match IMO match of the year so far. With the hype and story behind it I don't think there has been a better match since maybe Michaels vs. Taker at WM 25. I know that might sound a little over dramatic or something but with everything that happened I thought it was great.

Some people will say that Punk carried Cena because thats what they always say including me alot of times because usually Cena is very stale and boring, but tonight he performed to the best of his abilities and it showed. He proved tonight that he is better than he usually is and if he can do this more often i think he will slowly start to gain some respect from us (the IWC)

Ruthless_Aggression
07-17-2011, 10:29 PM
I had hoped this would be like ONS 2006 where he stepped up his game against RVD in enemy territory

Rated_R(ob)KO
07-17-2011, 10:31 PM
Cena stepped up better than I thought he would. Much needed for him.

WWTNA Mark
07-17-2011, 10:33 PM
Hell yeah he did! He showed his haters that he CAN hang with the best of em. Chavo's comments didn't really give me anything new as I always knew Cena would put on great matches with great wrestlers like Punk and would step his game up when needed to.

SilverGhost
07-17-2011, 10:35 PM
Cena did step up his game. He needs to wrestle like that more often. It made the match much more better.

VanHooliganX
07-17-2011, 10:47 PM
Cena can say he has been in a great match now. I'm really glad he listened to what Chavo said to him.
If this is the start of a better Cena then i'll be slightly happier although he has a longass way to go.

At the very least I can say he was better than his usual self :)

akgator1
07-17-2011, 10:52 PM
Cena was better than usual but this wasnt a clean match, there were plenty of botches. Cena is just not able to do things that a lot of guys do, hes too stiff.

Brewer 314
07-17-2011, 11:01 PM
Great match all around, Cena included.

Brewer 314
07-17-2011, 11:01 PM
Cena was better than usual but this wasnt a clean match, there were plenty of botches. Cena is just not able to do things that a lot of guys do, hes too stiff.

I only saw one botch..Cena's attitude adjustment.

el gabo
07-17-2011, 11:05 PM
I don't really think he was fantastic, just better than usual to be honest. Still glad on how went about and best of all, different.

The back body drop to the outside seemed brutal.

WWTNA Mark
07-17-2011, 11:06 PM
I only saw one botch..Cena's attitude adjustment.

Me too. That's the only botch I seen.

K2Jelly
07-17-2011, 11:08 PM
Personally, I thought Cena carried Punk.
*takes cover*

Ruthless_Aggression
07-17-2011, 11:09 PM
IMO, it takes two to tango.

Anyways, here was Chavo's response.

http://fanpagelist.com/tweets.php?user=mexwarrior

SilverGhost
07-17-2011, 11:10 PM
*takes cover*

-throws grenades at you- No way. Punk wrestled in that match.

VanHooliganX
07-17-2011, 11:11 PM
*takes cover*

http://www.panicposters.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/f63dc5ec28f3175f8a7f615bd217eb71/P/P/PP420.jpg

Royce
07-17-2011, 11:15 PM
Definatly a great match for Cena... I think he can go to the back very happy with himself... there were plenty of points where i was screaming for punk to kick out!!! they definatley told a story like they were suppose to... Im so happy right now i cant sleep!!!

K2Jelly
07-17-2011, 11:17 PM
Geez, where's WWTNAMark when you need him?

Anyways, perhaps I overexaggerated, but seeing Cena pull out a top notch performance like he did, with actual chain wrestling and few botches, may have drawn that premature conclusion. Still, I thought that Cena carried Punk for a majority of the match.

WWTNA Mark
07-17-2011, 11:24 PM

Anyways, perhaps I overexaggerated, but seeing Cena pull out a top notch performance like he did, with actual chain wrestling and few botches, may have drawn that premature conclusion. Still, I thought that Cena carried Punk for a majority of the match.

For fuck sake, its WWTNA Mark with a space between it, not WWTNAMark. Work on your space bar. -Insert facepalm-

WWTNA Mark
07-17-2011, 11:25 PM
I also find it cute that you mention my name in an irrelevant matter but its nice to know someone is thinking about me.

SilverGhost
07-17-2011, 11:26 PM

Lol yes Cena wrestled but he didn't carry Punk lol Punk was there and wrestled. If ANYTHING, Punk and Cena finally got the right moves to "tango", the right steps.

RomanFlare
07-17-2011, 11:27 PM
I also find it cute that you mention my name in an irrelevant matter but its nice to know someone is thinking about me.

Are you kidding me? My sources say Cena carries a picture of you in his travel bag.

Did Cena deliver? Does a bear shit in the woods... and does the Pope molest children? OF COURSE CENA DELIVERED. I hate to say this so close to the actual performance, but I think that match was better than Savage-Steamboat at Mania 3, to me.

K2Jelly
07-17-2011, 11:29 PM

I was hoping you'd defend me. BTW, I'll work on my space bar.

Darctic
07-17-2011, 11:31 PM
I was thinking..... What if... this match and this whole storyline was actually for Cena Leaving the Company..?

WWTNA Mark
07-17-2011, 11:31 PM
Are you kidding me? My sources say Cena carries a picture of you in his travel bag.

lol I don't know why i'm tagged as the Cena mark around here. I defend the guy and I don't hate his character but its not like hes my #1 wrestler of all time. I guess having an avatar of him would mean you are a mark of that person according to some people. An interesting speculation i'll say...

VanHooliganX
07-17-2011, 11:33 PM
lol I don't know why i'm tagged as the Cena mark around here. I defend the guy and I don't hate his character but its not like hes my #1 wrestler of all time. I guess having an avatar of him would mean you are a mark of that person according to some people. An interesting speculation i'll say...

Does that mean i'm a Beth fan for my Phoenix avatar? :S Boy, I hope not.

jrsckilla23
07-17-2011, 11:54 PM
Cena was great i think even the biggest Cena hater has to admit it

Yeah he did great still Anit-Cena since 2004 til retirement but it ain't the 5 moves of Doom anymore it's 6 Cena fans will get a new move every 9 years.

http://i721.photobucket.com/albums/ww211/jrsckilla23/punkcena6.jpg

SilverGhost
07-17-2011, 11:59 PM

You like it when he wins xD EVEN THOUGH He has them "creative" advantage lol

Anyrysm
07-17-2011, 11:59 PM
Just got back from Allstate Arena where the PPV was held, event was awesome (obviously). The first portion of the match was really slow and the crowd started to chill a little, but at one point CM Punk got John Cena in a headlock and buried his face next to Cena's. I don't know if they showed it on TV, but it looked to us as if Punk was saying something to Cena. That's when the matched picked up and became great. Not taking anything away from Cena, because this maybe the best match he's had, but it looked to us that were there that Punk had to tell him something to get him to pick it up.

WWTNA Mark
07-18-2011, 12:02 AM
Just got back from Allstate Arena where the PPV was held, event was awesome (obviously). The first portion of the match was really slow and the crowd started to chill a little, but at one point CM Punk got John Cena in a headlock and buried his face next to Cena's. I don't know if they showed it on TV, but it looked to us as if Punk was saying something to Cena. That's when the matched picked up and became great. Not taking anything away from Cena, because this maybe the best match he's had, but it looked to us that were there that Punk had to tell him something to get him to pick it up.

Or maybe he was calling another move to Cena? Sorry but I think you're looking too much into it.

RomanFlare
07-18-2011, 12:10 AM

This happens all the time. That's (mostly) the entire reason for those kind of situations: to allow the stars a breather/time to go over what to do next. They do it a lot when on the ropes too. It tends to take me out of the situation when I see it, but it didn't bother me once this match.

Anyrysm
07-18-2011, 12:11 AM
It's very possible that I'm looking too much into. All I'm saying is that there was a noticeable difference in the match after that moment and the crowd really picked up. You may be spot on, that Punk was calling up the next few moves and that could be what jumpstarted things. Either way, that was the turning point from it being a potentially disappointing main event, to an amazing match of the year quality match.

mosdope
07-18-2011, 12:21 AM
Even though this match had plenty of botches, it was thoroughly entertaining and kept me on the edge of my seat. As much as I dislike Cena, he did his best tonight and as a result, he helped provide an entertaining match.

Sev1n
07-18-2011, 12:23 AM
Any match with CM Punk is epic. All of his previous ppv was off the chain, especially against Randy

zrdt12
07-18-2011, 12:28 AM
It's very possible that I'm looking too much into. All I'm saying is that there was a noticeable difference in the match after that moment and the crowd really picked up. You may be spot on, that Punk was calling up the next few moves and that could be what jumpstarted things. Either way, that was the turning point from it being a potentially disappointing main event, to an amazing match of the year quality match.

They always talk with each other and usually position the cameras so you can't hear it on TV. Cena did deliver and did one move I thought was cool. I lol'd at all the random CM Punk chants throughout the night. I thought overall there were much more botches than the average ppv but it's kind of hard, especially with two ladder matches. I don't think rey was supposed to fall at the end right? hah.

LMPunker
07-18-2011, 03:50 AM
i was pleased with cenas performance but i do agree with what chavo said afterwards when you make the most money you have to deliver like that every week and hes right we never wondered if previous top guys with maybe the exception of hogan would deliver like austin,rock,triple h,angle,edge,hbk and taker

CMRyder
07-18-2011, 04:41 AM
I'll give credit where credit is due. Cena did very well.

MinistryOfDarkness
07-18-2011, 09:39 AM
I'm the biggest Cena hater out there. That being said, I wouldn't mind the guy AT ALL, if he at least SHOWED that he was TRYING to WRESTLE, incorporate new moves, and switch things up from time to time. Last night, he did just that. I was thoroughly impressed with that match last night. With all the drama, storylines, and build leading up to it, Punk delivered. More importantly, John Cena delivered. 20/10. Best WWE Championship match I've seen in years.

The Hit Man
07-18-2011, 03:35 PM
I thought Cena was outstaning in the match! He really did hold his own against Punk and contributed to the match. I actually think this is Cena's best match ever! Not just because what happened in the ring but because of the build up to it, the crowd, the whole atmosphere in general and the ending was phenomenal. If Cena wasn't in this match, every single one of those things wouldn't have been as great as it was. For me this match of the year so far and I really can't see any match beating this one. I was on the edge of my seat for most of the match!

My only problem is, I don't see Cena performing like this on a consistent basis from now on.