PDA

View Full Version : The "crazy" Sting character.

Sydnister
07-14-2011, 08:54 PM
Has anyone else noticed that the character Sting is doing right now sounds a lot like Jim Carrey ala Ace Ventura?

Anyrysm
07-14-2011, 09:49 PM
Never thought of that, but I do see the similarities. I don't mind the whole "crazy" angle, but there is a difference between being inspired by a character and flat out ripping it off. The mannerisms, the heightened voice, the face paint....hell even on Impact, Sting's "backup" wore the same masks used in the Dark Knight.

Subtlety has never been a Russo or Bischoff strong point.

Sydnister
07-14-2011, 10:28 PM

Subtlety has never been a Russo or Bischoff point at all.

VKM
07-14-2011, 10:30 PM
Never thought of that, but I do see the similarities. I don't mind the whole "crazy" angle, but there is a difference between being inspired by a character and flat out ripping it off. The mannerisms, the heightened voice, the face paint....hell even on Impact, Sting's "backup" wore the same masks used in the Dark Knight.

Haha ha. You obviously don't know anything about the Stinger. For one thing when Sting was just Sting without the white and black, he had a crazy persona. Also, Sting pay's tribute to these characters. Sting got the idea of the black and white face paint from Brandon Lee in the movie The Crow. Sting is just paying tribute Heath Ledger's Joker. I honestly don't see anything wrong with Sting acting a little like the Joker. It's entertaining and to be honest he's doing a good job at it.

Rockstar83
07-14-2011, 10:35 PM
i actaully find it funny

Anyrysm
07-14-2011, 11:07 PM
Haha ha. You obviously don't know anything about the Stinger. For one thing when Sting was just Sting without the white and black, he had a crazy persona. Also, Sting pay's tribute to these characters. Sting got the idea of the black and white face paint from Brandon Lee in the movie The Crow. Sting is just paying tribute Heath Ledger's Joker. I honestly don't see anything wrong with Sting acting a little like the Joker. It's entertaining and to be honest he's doing a good job at it.

Don't get me wrong, I'm enjoying the storyline. And I DO know the the Stinger and haven't forgotten his history. My point was meant to be that he should add his own wrinkles to the character rather than relying on pure mimicry. But I've been a fan watching Sting for about 20 years, so who am I to criticize?

HCollins-TNA1
07-14-2011, 11:15 PM
Like I have said I think Sting is mixing different characters into his......
Joker from Batman, Jim Carey the Mask, the old Crow gimmick, as well as God with the purpose of right and wrong/good and evil.....

Krysys
07-14-2011, 11:36 PM

I'm just waiting for him to say "Why so serious?"

Final_Silence
07-15-2011, 01:03 AM
i was actually thinking the same exact thing watch that poker table scene.

Ren 13
07-15-2011, 01:18 AM
Sting's joker may be a tribute to Heath Ledger's, but he's coming off more like Jack Nicholson... he needs better writing, a more sinister character, and much less goofy... Dark Knight Joker manipulated things in his favour, and went crazy on occasion, not every time he opened his mouth. Sting should hold off on the "wacky" delivery, and mix it in only once in a while... give it more meaning.

sincara
07-15-2011, 02:55 AM
sting = the joker

steveorton
07-15-2011, 07:36 AM
@Krysys me too, I'm jus sayin...

clrj3514
07-15-2011, 08:03 AM
I'm a big fan of Sting's, all personalities. I haven't seen Dark Knight but I see the Joker there. Also, that face he makes with his mouth open screams Jim Carrey!

shambo2k9
07-15-2011, 08:36 AM
http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/267712_10150236059616026_31695961025_7474251_48020 99_n.jpg
http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS8NJINCYpNzz_NY6WSeUjtFd-d_XEEA5YI_PYYihlw2cbRR7ZaWA&t=1

Blinker
07-15-2011, 08:36 AM
There's no question that Sting borrowed many parts from The Joker in The Dark Knight. I have no issue with that. Personally I was sick of the same face paint for the last 10 years or so. I like his new persona. He's a little crazy, a little meaner, and he believes what he is doing is the "right" thing. I'm a fan.

Interesting thing. The last time Sting made a big persona change was when he went with The Crow gimmick (he credits that to Scott Halls advice). Now he's doing The Joker. Both Brandon Lee and Heath Ledger died before these films where release. I found that kind of interesting.

Markedoutforlife
07-15-2011, 10:34 AM
i actaully find it funny

Lol... Probably not what tna is hoping for.

His lackies are what get me. Yeah the crow thing was way better than,this joker stuff.

WWTNA Mark
07-15-2011, 10:42 AM
There's no question that Sting borrowed many parts from The Joker in The Dark Knight. I have no issue with that. Personally I was sick of the same face paint for the last 10 years or so. I like his new persona. He's a little crazy, a little meaner, and he believes what he is doing is the "right" thing. I'm a fan.

Interesting thing. The last time Sting made a big persona change was when he went with The Crow gimmick (he credits that to Scott Halls advice). Now he's doing The Joker. Both Brandon Lee and Heath Ledger died before these films where release. I found that kind of interesting.

Very interesting. Thanks for the fact.

Brewer 314
07-15-2011, 11:20 AM
he's coming off more like Jack Nicholson..

I agree.. That's a good thing though, And why is the joker face paint a big deal to you guys.........He's only been looking like the crow for the last 15 years, which only makes his current look even more appropriate.

Rilla
07-15-2011, 11:52 AM
The opening segment last night.. reminded me so much of the scene in Dark Knight, where Joker met with the mob bosses.

Hammy
07-15-2011, 06:41 PM
maybe Russo is just watching movies to see what he can use lol

HCollins-TNA1
07-15-2011, 11:32 PM
TNA has been known to do things from movies.... Which is great..... Just wonder who ideas they really are???

VKM
07-16-2011, 09:43 AM
Don't get me wrong, I'm enjoying the storyline. And I DO know the the Stinger and haven't forgotten his history. My point was meant to be that he should add his own wrinkles to the character rather than relying on pure mimicry. But I've been a fan watching Sting for about 20 years, so who am I to criticize?

That's understandable. I agree.

Rich Cranium
07-16-2011, 09:53 AM
At first seeing Sting at the poker table, I thought of Ledger's Joker character but when he talks and moves it does indeed remind me of Ace Ventura.

We have a Joker-Pet Detective crossover.

FPR Lord Wrom
07-16-2011, 07:38 PM
I too see the Ace Ventura in it, makes me cringe.
But like most fans of the Stinger, im just glad hes showing some passion again.
The best thing he could do with this is make it his own, Its almost as if he watches the Dark Knight and apparently Ace Ventura
right before he comes out. That said, I havent actually watched or cared about wrestling in a looooong time and I find myself
tuning in again, Punk too.

RagingBallsFTW
07-17-2011, 12:42 AM
I guess the Jim Carrey gimmick is alright for now :rolleyes: but did they really have to give him the belt again. I'm a Stinger fan, but I believe Impact Wrestling has to try to push younger talents, like Mr.Anderson, A.J Styles, Samoa Joe,etc. and give them good memorable runs.

VKM
07-17-2011, 12:55 AM
I guess the Jim Carrey gimmick is alright for now :rolleyes: but did they really have to give him the belt again. I'm a Stinger fan, but I believe Impact Wrestling has to try to push younger talents, like Mr.Anderson, A.J Styles, Samoa Joe,etc. and give them good memorable runs.

And that's exactly how i feel about it but some people just don't understand us. I feel as though when a wrestler is that age, they have done all they could do to be successful and they should try to use their success to create future hall of famers in younger talents.

WWTNA Mark
07-17-2011, 01:35 AM
I don't mind Sting's new Joker character. He looks to be having fun with it and embracing the character. TNA should add more elements and make him a little darker yet happy Joker style but its fine with me.

HCollins-TNA1
07-17-2011, 06:53 PM
The Joker + Jim Careys The Mask and Ace Ventura + Bruce Almighty= Sting today.....

68wPayne
07-17-2011, 08:03 PM
Didn't really have a problem with them blatently ripping off The Dark Knight with his paint. But the clowns on Impact was just too much. It's a "not a single fuck was given that day" kind of thing